Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of all time but I couldn't even finish the sequel. The devs clearly had no idea what made the original great and made a complete mess with only superficial resemblance to HM.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Rome: Total War. They made huge improvements to the second game (it took like 2 years, though) but it still isn't a classic that I go back to frequently, like the first one.

These are absolutely the ones I was going to say. R:TW was better than all the entries in the series after it, and HLM2 just somehow lacked everything that made HLM1 great. (Aside from the music, I guess)
Kinda sad in a way, thinking about all the series that fell from greatness - such as the ones mentioned in this thread. At least we've still got the excellent originals, in any case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I know it's not quite what the OP is about, but I felt kinda like this about the jump from Age of Empires II to Age of Empires III. I don't know what, but it just wasn't the same. AoE2 was so good, and the third game just somehow lost that feeling.
(For the record, I quite liked Age of Mythology, but kinda treated/thought of it as being 'different' to AoE2. I guess that might be why I'm not so keen on AoE3, as it calls itself an AoE game, but is much more like AoM)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh, yes!

Plutonis posted:

By the people who brought us games such as Dawn of War 3 and Company of Heroes 2

...oh, drat.

Yeah, hopefully they pull this off. Odd that it's being made by Relic, although they did make Impossible Creatures for Microsoft, so I guess they must still have some kind of agreement/deal in place. I hope it comes out on Steam too, since after seeing these posts, I checked and apparently they're (initially, at least) bringing it out on the Win10 store.

• Locked thread