Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Games are kind of interesting cause the sequels normally are an improvement. So I was just thinking what are games I've played in which I liked the previous game more than its sequel? Doesn't have to be the first game could be something like Final Fantasy 6 over 7.

For me it's Portal and Portal 2. While I think Portal 2 is a great game and really enjoyed the story, design wise I think Portal 1's pacing and puzzles are a lot better than 2's. Portal 2's later puzzles got to a point where I just did what I thought the developer wanted me to do without actually feeling like I was solving them. While Portal 1's puzzles had multiple solutions, and if you understood the portal gun you could skip major parts of the levels. Portal 2's rattmann rooms also felt kind of felt forced, while in 1 the rooms felt cryptic and mystical. But I loved the ending for 2, and thought the turret opera elevator scene was pretty great, but the song end credits felt a little off.

Nude fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I think I'm gonna catch flak for this, but Sly Cooper

All the Sly games after the first had a terminal case of open world-itis

I missed Sly the first time and got to replay it for the HD remake and my god it holds up really well. Out of the three big platformers Ratchet and Clank 1, Jak and Daxter 1, I think Sly 1 is the strongest in tight controls and polish.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of all time but I couldn't even finish the sequel. The devs clearly had no idea what made the original great and made a complete mess with only superficial resemblance to HM.

Yeah this is a good example, I could not get into the second at all but played through the first multiple times.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

oh poo poo speaking of PSP Patapon 3 was a tragedy . #2 got a little grinder than the first game but also made a lot of improvements, 3 just ruined everything with a focus on co-op and getting rid of most of the unit management to just focus on a player hero unit .

Since we are talking about the psp EchoChrome is such a imaginative concept for a game. To sum it up for people who don't want to watch the video, basically it's a puzzle game where depending on which angle you view the level it changes what you can do. So for example if there is a visible gap between two platforms, you can move the camera in a way to make it so the two platforms visually look like they can connect, and then your character can walk over it. It had a sequel of sorts, EchoShift, but the new puzzle mechanics didn't quite match up to EchoChrome. Although I'm not sure what you could with EchoChrome to make it any better, so I understand why they went in the direction they did. The PSP really had a wide library of really creative games, Locoroco, Patapon, Patchwork Heroes, Lumines, 30-Minute Hero to name a few.

Oh one last thing Symphony of the Night, while the other Metroidvania's improved in the rpg aspects, activating spells through Street-Fighter button combos is just so cool. And the fact that you have one of Dracula's move right at the beginning of the game is :perfect:.

Nude fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 20, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Fredrik1 posted:

Played some Nidhogg 2 during the weekend it was fun but boy does that game have issues, the first game is a lot better and I'll play that over N2 any day.

Ya Nidhogg one is a good example of just the right amount of restraint. Does what it needs to be and nothing more or less.

• Locked thread