Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm sure this last chance The Franz has given us won't backfire on her in any way.

Happy birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's back! :toot:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm sure this last chance The Franz has given us won't backfire on her in any way.
She is perfect perfection, and would never do anything that results in a less than perfect result. Foolish fool.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
However, what if she was foolishly foolish enough to foolishly grant a foolish fool one last foolish chance to prove that she was the real fool?

(that's one two three... seven, yes that's enough)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Happy birthday! The expressions in this game continue to be great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just once I'd like to see a case with a Judge who is as ridiculous as the Prosecutors or Defense, someone who isn't a total milquetoast but who is someone who's very essence is judgement. A judge with a gimmick. It would be really satisfying for them to be all "I'm sorry Franziska, did you just WHIP me? That's it, I'm holding you in contempt of court for ASSAULTING THE JUSTICE! Jackass!"

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mors Rattus posted:

: And I don't care if you are my witness! So help me, I will blow you out of my way!
Franziska :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Welcome back and happy birthday! :toot:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Interesting... well, it seems like Franziska is different from dear old dad in one respect, as I’m reasonably sure he would simply take the win and be done with it. As she has something to prove, she wants her prosecution to be perfect... or maybe she cares more about justice than I’ve given her credit for. Eh, let’s not go crazy here.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Actually Manfred did the exact same thing at one point iirc.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Manfred sold his proteges on justice. He didn't have the chance to break it to them that it was all just an act and money makes the world go 'round, but what can you do?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Glazius posted:

Manfred sold his proteges on justice. He didn't have the chance to break it to them that it was all just an act and money makes the world go 'round, but what can you do?

Von karma wasn't corrupt for money. He wanted victory

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Franzika pretends she's perfect, but she doesn't have her daddy's conviction.

Now Manfred, oh boy, did he wanted victory. He NEEDED victory, so he'd forge everything convincingly, shut down any of the defense's rebuttal, and intimidate the judge through sheer words. He was a terrifying boss to face at the end of first game. Franzika? She has very shoddy plans, even shoddier argumentive power, and the best she can do is whip people around, but to no actual benefit. Really, Franzika, in terms of pure prowess, is really lacking, even to Edgeworth. Edgeworth at least had solid logic in his arguments and planned his traps carefully, he just had very bad luck and timing.

Speaking of which, the trial should have ended here. We already prove that Maya couldn't have been the killer, and why Ini Miney is. Motive really doesn't prove or disprove anything, even logically. All it does is determine whether the perp was reasonably and tragically guilty, or just plain old unreasonably guilty. Manfred didn't even defend that Nick didn't prove Motive, he just screamed his motive as he announces defeat.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ArcadePark posted:

Speaking of which, the trial should have ended here. We already prove that Maya couldn't have been the killer, and why Ini Miney is. Motive really doesn't prove or disprove anything, even logically. All it does is determine whether the perp was reasonably and tragically guilty, or just plain old unreasonably guilty. Manfred didn't even defend that Nick didn't prove Motive, he just screamed his motive as he announces defeat.

This is under Japanifornia law, though, where it's less "must acquit as there's reasonable doubt" and more "must convict until you've not only proven it's literally impossible for the accused to be guilty but also found the actual guilty party and proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt".

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Tenebrais posted:

This is under Japanifornia law, though, where it's less "must acquit as there's reasonable doubt" and more "must convict until you've not only proven it's literally impossible for the accused to be guilty but also found the actual guilty party and proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt".

There's also the fact that being acquitted for a murder without the real murderer being known isn't always the best route. We saw that with Yanni Yogi in the first game, though under different circumstances. Not to mention how Maya feels about all this. Unless it is proven for certain that she didn't kill anyone, she'll always feel that guilt. So prolonging the trial is more for Maya's sake rather than the law's sake in my opinion.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also from the perspective of a player, piecing together every mystery, while unrealistic as hell, is really satisfying.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BioEnchanted posted:

Also from the perspective of a player, piecing together every mystery, while unrealistic as hell, is really satisfying.

Yeah the gameplay is fine. It just is a very obvious place where it stretches the suspension of disbelief

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Okay, between this LP and the Investigations one, Franziska's gimmick is getting too much for me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Franziska can be entertaining, but they definitely rely way too much on the whip gimmick. It's the sort of thing that should be limited to very, very small doses.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Xarn posted:

Okay, between this LP and the Investigations one, Franziska's gimmick is getting too much for me.

Foolish fool who fools other foolish fools into foolishly believing foolishness. *whips repeatedly*

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Foolish fool who fools other foolish fools into foolishly believing foolishness. *whips repeatedly*

Or more eloquently put:

:whip: :butt:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ArcadePark posted:

Nope. Phoenix proved that the clothing box was in there, but his only "evidence" that Ini lied in her last testimony was his claim that Pearl was sitting in the middle of the Winding Way fixing the urn, which Phoenix and/or Pearl could be lying about to protect Maya. The judge said in the latest update that Phoenix hadn't presented a motive OR decisive evidence.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ooh, Ace Attorney 2! This'll be fun.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Didnt a collection of these just hit the switch?

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

Didnt a collection of these just hit the switch?

Yep! Also hit PC, PS4, and Xbox One

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Also, the "Scarlet Study" fan translation group has released the full patch for Dai Gyakuten Saiban, too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That y'all are still holding out hope and keeping this thread from vanishing is heartening. I've been really busy with work for the past...way too long, but I'm gonna see if I can make time for y'all and get this going again.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Work sucks. Thats all i got. Good luck

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Mors Rattus posted:

That y'all are still holding out hope and keeping this thread from vanishing is heartening. I've been really busy with work for the past...way too long, but I'm gonna see if I can make time for y'all and get this going again.

An interesting theory, if you can present any evidence, Mr. Wright.

(yeah, work sucks)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I have personally witnessed that mors has an alarm on his phone set to remind him daily to update the lp. He's not joking about work :(

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

MollyMetroid posted:

I have personally witnessed that mors has an alarm on his phone set to remind him daily to update the lp. He's not joking about work :(

Aww man I was afraid that joke would come off as demanding. Sorry.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I was actually expecting the joke to continue and you have to like, press me for more detail and go IGIARI and stuff

As a random note that I'm sure someone has already mentioned but since I'm posting here I will mention it anyway: the DS versions of the game came with voice recognition so if you held the button down and shouted "objection" into the mic clearly it would act as though you had pressed the objection button. This was also in the JP version, with "igiari" being your vocab word of the day today. They did not remove the jp voice commands from the english reversion. I played one case shouting "IGIARI" more and more enthusiastically before I got bored and started just using the buttons again, and it was fun.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MollyMetroid posted:

They did not remove the jp voice commands from the english reversion.

That's actually really cool and I wanna try it on the 3DS version now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Quackles posted:

That's actually really cool and I wanna try it on the 3DS version now.

I tried it on my 3ds (dual destinies) and it didn't work :(

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

el dorito posted:

I tried it on my 3ds (dual destinies) and it didn't work :(

The 3ds ones I don't think it did because of versioning. This was the first three, which had the english version playable from the Japanese cart, because they were remakes of GBA versions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kinda related: I've been playing The Great Ace Attorney lately and it's amazing. I might LP it someday... when I have free time. :v