Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

kw0134 posted:

I wonder how many people who aren't familiar with baseball got stuck here because they didn't know that you wear the glove on your non-dominant hand.

Baseball is quite popular in Japan, so I'd imagine this puzzle was considered easy by the development team. I'd guess the people most likely to get stuck here would be European, not Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Glad to see this back. I'm old and ornery and have no patience for playing through a VN style thing like this, but am perfectly willing to read it presented as a linear narrative for some reason, so this is probably the only way I'd experience it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kw0134 posted:

I wonder how many people who aren't familiar with baseball got stuck here because they didn't know that you wear the glove on your non-dominant hand.

I was unfamiliar with baseball, but "custom glove" along with emphasis on right-handed victim was enough to clue me in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Somebody's going to call that glove a bunch of bananas at some point. It was just begging for it.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I can't believe it took me this many years to finally get the pun behind this case's victim.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

I had no idea what baseball was, so i remember getting stuck on this puzzle for a bit. Ended up brute forcing it!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

give head or get dead posted:

I had no idea what baseball was, so i remember getting stuck on this puzzle for a bit. Ended up brute forcing it!

This is the proper Ace Attorney experience that I've been missing for so long.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

give head or get dead posted:

Fortunately, you can pretty much do that on this case, since the penalties for failure are so small in the tutorial. I had to do that here myself, because I'm clueless about baseball.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I can't believe it took me this many years to finally get the pun behind this case's victim.

Wait, what pu--

Oh, god drat it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 1 - The Lost Turnabout
Part 4

: A-Amnesia!?
: I can't believe my lawyer's trying to defend me in such a state...
: ... I... Uh...
: Why didn't you tell me, sir!?
: I'm sorry I didn't mention it to you.
: Oh! I know what to do! I heard you can fix something like this with a really strong shock to your system!
: Come on, lower your head a little! A Maggey Kick should be all you need!
: Ah, no, no, no. I think I'll pass on this one.
: Come on!...
: Ah, I'm sorry. Whenever I see someone in trouble, I have a hard time leaving them alone... I tend to stick my nose where it doesn't belong and try to tackle everyone's problems.
: (Well, my head's one problem you won't be tackling today...) Well, we're here to solve your problem first. We can deal with mine later. For now, do you think you can fill me in on a few things?

: Of course! I'd be honored to!
: Ah, well, I guess we'll start
: with my name and then I can tell you about me!
: No, no, that's ok. Really. I think I know you and your name pretty well by now. I was wondering if you could help me figure out a few things about myself. So, my name is "Phoenix Wright"? What a weird name.
: Hmmmm... This is serious. You really don't remember.

: ...? This is... a business card?
: I got this from you. It's my most prized possession!
: You can borrow it for now, but please give it back, OK!?
: OK. (There are some numbers written on the back...)
: Oh, that's your cell phone number!

: I guess for now, we should stop talking about me, and start talking about this case.
: This case...?
: Yup. Can you think of anything that would be helpful for me to know?
: Um, what can I tell you...? Ah, um... Hmm...
: I can't think of anything other than the incident with that cell phone, but...
: ...Cell phone?
: Yeah! Your eyes lit up when we talked about it at the Detention Center, sir!
: ...! Hurry up then and tell me! This might be very important!

: OK! Roger!

: I picked up a lost cell phone while on a walk with Dustin.

: All of a sudden, the phone began to ring...

: "Um, hello?"
: "Oh, thank you! I've been searching for my phone."
: "Is this yours? Oh, I'm glad you called! We can meet up and I can give this back!"
: "I'll be right there, um... I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name..."
: "You can call me Maggey!"

: Dustin and I waited for the person to show up... but they never did.
: Hmmmm... So where is the phone you found now?
: I gave it to you yesterday!
: Huh? To me? (Is it that phone in my pocket...?)

: Do you think it has anything to do with the murder?
: I... don't really know... But if my eyes "lit up"...
: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!! YOU WERE HERE ALL ALONG!!

: I called you a million times but you wouldn't pick up! And when I went to check in the courtroom, everyone had already left...

: (Let me guess. I'm supposed to know this girl too..)
: Hey, good morning, Maggey!

: And a good morning to you, too, Maya!
: So!? So!? How's it going!?
: Is there a word for "worse than abysmal"...?
: Oh?
: And what if I said that everything will be fine?
: That's right! It's Maya to the rescue with the ultra-decisive super-important evidence!

: Huh? Oh, ah, thanks... (What the heck is this? A list? It has about 20 people's names and phone numbers written on it.)
: It was kind of tough, but I managed to find out some dirt!
: It looks like these guys are up to no good.
: "No good"? As in?
: There's a group of con artists the police are currently investigating.
: I think these guys are members of that group.

: Why would a group of con artists pop up in a case like this?
: Don't look at me!
: Hmm... And where did you get this list from in the first place?

: You're the one who asked me to look this up yesterday!
: Oh... is that right?
: These numbers were in the memory of that phone Maggey found.
: Hmm, so that's where they're from.
: You're awfully forgetful these days, Nick.
: I hope I never get to be a forgetful old prune like you!
: Um, Maya... Actually, Mr. Wright is...

: Please bring the defendant and return to the courtroom immediately!
: Oh, oops! Guess you have to get going! We can talk about you being old later, Nick!
: W-Wish us luck!
: (I guess I have all the pieces now... More or less. All that's left is to put it all together. I'm not going to lose this. I can't!)
: Come on, Nick.
: Better get a move on!
: Y-Yeah.

: The court will now reconvene. Please call your next witness to the stand, Mr. Payne.
: Yes, Your Honor. But before I do, if I may say a few words...
: What is it, Mr. Payne?
: It's about the next witness.
: He has a tendency to say things that rub people the wrong way, you see, so I ask that the court might be a little lenient on...

: There is no need to give a preface. Just hurry up and call your witness, please.
: Y-Yes, Your Honor. ...The prosecution calls its next witness;

Yes, really, a semicolon.

: a drifter who was taking a walk in the park on the day of the murder!

: Please state your name for the court, witness.

: Huh? Oh, alright, go ahead.
: Just now, you introduced my wonderful self to the court, correct? Perhaps as a "drifter who was taking a walk"?
: D-Did I?
: But I will not stand for that! Now you've tinted the court's eyes and colored me wrongly. Sure, I suppose calling me a university student would not be the absolute truth, but to give in and just settle would be as evil as death and I can't have that! Everything in my life is to be of the utmost, highest, top grade quality, you understand. I am merely looking for that perfect, top notch, unbeatable university, don't you see...? I have a rigorous selection process and I was in serious thought during my "walk" as...

Much like last game's Wendy Oldbag rants, this is all at higher speed than normal text and plays without any input from the player, advancing as it likes.

: Yes, yes, I understand. I'm very sorry. I will be more careful from now on.

: Ugh... I have to question HIM?

: (Glasses...? But you aren't wearing glasses...)

: That's enough! Your name, witness.

: Oh? Is that how you want to play this? Using your power and influence to keep the young people down. I see how you work now. You old people and your dirty tricks. You thought you had me, but you thought wrong.
: I-I'm sorry. It won't happen again.
: (Oh man...)
: I forgive you. Alright, I suppose I can tell you my name. I am Richard Wellington, the "Drifting Virtuoso" with a Ph.D. in Drifting, as it were. If you wanted to, you could call me a "University Student in Transit".
: Ahem, Mr. Wellington. On the day of the murder, you were taking a... er, strolling through the park, correct?
: It would appear that you are attached to that word. If you must, then by all means. But I remind you that I am in no way a prepubescent boy, "out on a walk" with mommy. If you must know, I am--
: Anyway! Please testify to this court what you saw during your walk through the park!
: See, you said it again! "Taking a walk"... You know, you--

: What you witnessed will do, Mr. Wellington!

: Hmm, that was certainly a decisive testimony.
: Decisive!? Nick, did you hear what he just said!?
: Yeah.
: That's all you have to say? How can you be so calm!?
: (It's strange... My mind is very calm and clear.) Maybe it's because I... believe in my client.
: You mean Maggey?
: Yes. And if she really is innocent, then that can only mean one thing: That guy is lying!

: You may now question the witness, Mr. Wright.
: (I'll find out the truth, no matter how well you craft your lies!)

: So you were at the park all afternoon? You seem to have a lot of free time.
: Hmph. That was very rude of you. But then again, what can I expect? That's what you get from a man who graduated from a no-name, trashy university.
: N-No name? Trashy...?
: Now, this might be hard for a mush-headed, feeble-minded baboon like you, but I have to think very carefully about the future of our great country.
: But I thought you said you were thinking about which college to go to just now...
: Oh, puh-leaze. Which university I go to will directly affect the very future of this country!
: (That arrogant little snot...)

: How did you know what time it was? I see you're not wearing a watch, so...

: Is that the best you can do? Do you think you can discredit me like that? You're just a third-rate, biased fool. I guess I can't expect real smarts from you.

: Answer the question! How did you know what time it was!?

: Tsk, tsk. I can't believe I have to deal with a worm like you. You're just a shallow man who can only slam on desks and point at people for fun. Hmph, I guess I don't have a choice. I'll try to explain it so that even a third-rate simpleton like you can understand. There was this little thing they call a "clock" at the park. Did you get that? Do you know what a clock is? It's a thing that tells you the time.

: (Oh... So it is... Urk.)
: I looked at that clock, and that's how I knew the time. But if you ask me, this whole concept of breaking time apart into fragments... It's total and utter nonsense that no man should follow. A real first-class person doesn't live by, nor is he chained by, time. And to wear a watch? Hah! What a ridiculous notion! People should live freely without constraints. That's how life should be!
: (And yet again, another flood of meaningless words... Talk about a first-class waste of time...)
: In any case...

: And how did you know he was a police officer?

: You obviously have no idea how powerful my deductive reasoning skills are. With one glance, I could tell just what kind of occupation he held. That shoddy, do-it-yourself hairstyle practically screamed "I'm a police officer". It was also the way he tied his tie and those cheap, low-quality shoes. Ugh. Oh, and I suppose it was also because he was wearing an officer's uniform.
: (Shouldn't that statement have come first!?)
: Wow, that's pretty impressive.
: Hey, Nick! Do you think he's figured out what I do?
: (Even I haven't figured that out yet...)

: Are you sure you got a good look at her face?

: Animals have this thing called an "eye", Mr. Wright. They use this "eye" to see things. In the case of humans, we have two of them. Yes, even you!

: I don't care if I have them or not! Did you or did you not get a clear look at her face!?

: That's what the witness was just about to get to.
: I would like to request that Mr. Wright not use such a loud voice during questioning.
: Sustained. Mr. Wright, please refrain from raising your voice in this court.
: (Then please don't make me have to raise my voice.)

: Are you finished? I'd like to continue, if that's alright with you.

: So you're SURE you are not mistaken?
: Please. Don't confuse your pitiful, train-wreck of a life with mine.

: I'm what you call a famous brand-name product, while you are only a cheap imitation. There is no way someone as magnificent as myself could have made a mistake.
: Of course, of course.
: (Oh ho ho ho. Of course.)
: Did you notice anything else of interest, witness?

: The banana...?
: Well, it was actually more than just one. More like a bunch of bananas.
: Now what would a bunch of bananas be doing there...?

: And why would I know such a thing? I'm only telling you what I saw.
: That's really strange. Maggey never mentioned anything about a bunch of bananas.
: That's it, Nick! He's gotta be lying about the bananas!
: (Hmm... He could be, but... there's no reason for him to lie about there being bananas at the crime scene.) And what if it's not a lie?
: Well, maybe he thought he was seeing one thing, and it was something else...?
: (If he mistook something else for a bunch of bananas, then that would be an inaccuracy. Think, Phoenix, think!)

And loop.

: (If my client is innocent, there is no way he could've seen what he says he did.)
: Which means if we can somehow show he's lying...
: Yeah, that's exactly we need do.

(Sic.)

: (She's right. She's got a sharp mind, but I just wish I could remember who she is...)
: Is everything OK, Nick...?

You can solve this one. Anyone can.

Next time: More of this smug fucker.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 20, 2017

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In a series of smug fucker witnesses I think this guy might be the smuggiest of them all.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
He's pretty high on the smuggo-scale but he's too busy trying to be an intellectual to really hit peak :smuggo:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

This man is what clickbait articles think Millennials are.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

And it's the right time period for it since this case takes place in 2017.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

KataraniSword posted:

millennials! :argh:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Mors Rattus posted:

: Well, maybe he thought he was seeing one thing, and it was something else...?
: (If he mistook something else for a bunch of bananas, then that would be an inaccuracy. Think, Phoenix, think!)

:eng99: Ye gods, I had forgotten how thuddingly obvious some things are in this series. I know we have to have kid gloves for the first tutorial to get into the swing of things (and really, game? "Somebody hit him and he got amnesia" is how you justify this? ), but there's kid gloves, and then there's... this.

But it's good to see you back at it with more PW (well done on breaking this curse!), and I look forward to seeing this smug rear end in a top hat brought down.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

resurgam40 posted:

:eng99: Ye gods, I had forgotten how thuddingly obvious some things are in this series. I know we have to have kid gloves for the first tutorial to get into the swing of things (and really, game? "Somebody hit him and he got amnesia" is how you justify this? ), but there's kid gloves, and then there's... this.

But it's good to see you back at it with more PW (well done on breaking this curse!), and I look forward to seeing this smug rear end in a top hat brought down.

Perhaps it is Wright and not Battler who is the stupidest man on earth. :eng101:

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Man, I just remembered the most trivial bit of weirdness about this game and the others in the series. So when it came out on DS (as opposed to the original GBA versions) of course one of the features of the DS was that you could shout OBJECTION into the microphone and everything.

But they didn't have that changed for the localization--the localizations were in the original Japanese versions, for the first three games. So you could shout the Japanese words (Igiari for objection, f'rexample) and it would still recognize it if you were playing in English.

In some cases, it was actually easier to get it to recognize the word for some people if they used the Japanese. Of course, you never need to use the feature at all if you don't want to.

Don't remember if this came up anywhere before.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

MollyMetroid posted:

Man, I just remembered the most trivial bit of weirdness about this game and the others in the series. So when it came out on DS (as opposed to the original GBA versions) of course one of the features of the DS was that you could shout OBJECTION into the microphone and everything.

But they didn't have that changed for the localization--the localizations were in the original Japanese versions, for the first three games. So you could shout the Japanese words (Igiari for objection, f'rexample) and it would still recognize it if you were playing in English.

In some cases, it was actually easier to get it to recognize the word for some people if they used the Japanese. Of course, you never need to use the feature at all if you don't want to.

Don't remember if this came up anywhere before.

I thought they would just respond to anything you shouted into the microphone. I remember shouting nonsense into the mic and it working.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

MegaZeroX posted:

I thought they would just respond to anything you shouted into the microphone. I remember shouting nonsense into the mic and it working.

I remember getting one of my friends who was a lawyer to yell "objection" and it worked for him

but again, I used that method all the time when I could

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

Are you saying there's kid gloves, and then there's.... baseball gloves?

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I absolutely loved the first Phoenix Wright game, but by the time I got the first one, it was so hard to find the second or third that I never got around to checking it out. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this game gets better than what we have now. At least Maggey's cute.

(Also could it be that the baseball glove that looks like a bunch of bananas are not actually bananas but a baseball glove!? Mein gott.)

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Mors Rattus posted:

: And how did you know he was a police officer?

I think that's meant to be Phoenix there.

Now I kinda wish I could look into the later games and how they tackle tutorials and being so blindingly obvious or not. Last game I managed to play in the series was Apollo Justice.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Dinictus posted:

Now I kinda wish I could look into the later games and how they tackle tutorials and being so blindingly obvious or not. Last game I managed to play in the series was Apollo Justice.

This is by far the clumsiest tutorial in the series. Without getting too detailed, all subsequent first chapters manage to have a character on your side who genuinely needs an explanation or refresher without having to invoke weird contrivances.

LupusAter fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 20, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The whole amnesia thing is contrived, sure, but as we've seen the series kinda rests on contrievances so I can let it slide.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are you saying there's kid gloves, and then there's.... baseball gloves?

Talking of which,, how the heck is that thing supposed to work anyway? I am not a baseball aficionado at all, but aren't those things supposed to, you know, be able to fold around a ball so it can be caught? How is banana glove here supposed to do that, it just looks like it can redirect thrown things at best, or just kinda slap things away. Or possibly attract monkeys who can catch the ball for you... This drat case is weird, is what I'm saying, even in comparison to other cases.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dinictus posted:

I think that's meant to be Phoenix there.

Whoops! Fixed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yep. There's bananas.

Though I don't think the baseball glove has a secret function like that thinker clock did.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Imagine someone getting murdered by a bright yellow baseball glove.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Oh man, glad to see someone doing the second game! I never knew it had a bad reputation compared to the others, its final case is even my favorite in the series.

Zakrelo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 20, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zakrelo posted:

I never knew it had a bad reputation compared to the others, its final case is even my favorite in the series.

Just from what I remember, it got a lot more flak for its editing errors (mostly spelling) and contrivances; things like "you have amnesia in order to tutorial" and the like.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

It also has what is considered one of the best cases in the entire series. JFA has some of the highest highs and the lowest lows.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It doesn't help JFA that it's also the shortest game in the series and that it feels incredibly Capcom-sequel-y, like it's an expansion to the first game.

Of course, there are new elements: like OP's already pointed out, we're now able to present people in addition to evidence.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 1 - The Lost Turnabout
Part 5

: Mr. Wellington.

: Ah, so you knew about the bananas, too. Why didn't you say so earlier?

: But don't think you can use this as a way to pull more information out of me.
: (And that's where you'd be wrong.)
: M-Mr. Wright. What is the meaning of this?
: Isn't that the baseball glove?

: Doesn't it look delicious? Care for a bite?
: Th-That's...

: Your Honor! I think this proves one very important fact!

: Mr. Wellington loves large bananas!
: ...

: Uh, Nick...
: I hope you've noticed the icy glares we're getting from everyone in here!
: Wh-What in the world do you mean?
: I'll have you know I like strawberries much better than bananas.
: Whoops...

: Think it over one more time and try again, Mr. Wright.
: This witness...

: Mr. Wellington has never played baseball! That would explain why he didn't even know what a glove is!

: Uh, Nick...
: I hope you've noticed the icy glares we're getting from everyone in here!
: Wh-What in the world do you mean?
: When I was in junior high, I was a star pitcher... Well, 4th in line, actually, but...
: Whoops...

: Think it over one more time and try again, Mr. Wright.
: This witness...

: By the way, just how bad are your eyes?
: Huh? How... What... You... Why are you asking me about this all of a sudden!?

: Your Honor, it is very simple to mistake a glove for a bunch of bananas...

: No, I don't think so.
: Objection overruled.

: You're like those people who refused to accept Galileo for his Copernican Theory! You're too used to your world view to realize that there are other, new possibilities! Sure, in the end, we find out that it is in fact, a glove, not bananas. However... when viewed from afar, I do think there is room enough for doubt, don't you...?

: And that is why I asked you how bad your eyesight is!
: They're both 20/25. I suppose you're going to tell me that's terrible, right!?
: Why are you not wearing your glasses today then?
: ... Ummm... That's because I lost them recently, you see... Of course, I was planning on getting a new pair made right away! But you know, my glasses are no ordinary glasses, so to replace them--
: How about when you witnessed the crime? Were you wearing your glasses then?

: How about it, witness!?
: Y-You are an unrelenting, evil man. You're like those people who rejected Joan of Arc and put her to death! She was brave and courageous, only to be caught by horrible, unrighteous people. And while she didn't do anything wrong, she was still gruesomely burned at the--

: Which boils down to you were not wearing your glasses at that time! Therefore!
: The identity of the "woman" at the scene of the crime and that of the defendant

: But the height difference was only 9 feet!

: Hmm...
: Witness. Please be more accurate in your testimony. Remember, a person's life is at stake.
: Y-Yes, Your Honor!
: Now then, please continue with your testimony.
: Please tell the court what happened next, in the moments after you witnessed the crime.

: So the person who was on the upper path saw you and then ran away.
: Yes, that is correct. Which is why, even someone without a superior brain like mine can understand that...

: You may question the witness now, Mr. Wright.

: She ran away, just like that?
: Yes, she did. She saw me and flew the nest like the guilty bird she is.

: Oh, I'm sorry. Was that pun too hard for someone who only got a third-rate education?
: (Actually, that did take me a few seconds to get...)
: Anyway, if she ran away the instant she saw you, how could you tell it was my client?
: Eek!

: The witness has already answered that question. He has stated that the defendant is the culprit!
: This is true. Mr. Wright, I'm striking your question from the record.
: (Hmm, how can I get more information out of him?)

: Immediately? As in?
: As in immediately! I mean, sure, a minute might have elapsed before I did, but... That's the duty of every good citizen, or did they not teach that at your pitiful school?
: (You think people learn about how to call the police in COLLEGE?)
: Hey, Nick. I think you should take a look at the Court Record for a sec.
: (...?)

: How do you know what time it was...?
: That detective told me. You know which one I mean. The one with the jacket that makes him look like a dropout from a no-name high school.

: (I don't believe this.)
: It doesn't matter. I don't believe I was mistaken on what time I called.

: And if I am wrong, then that detective obviously doesn't know how to tell time.

: I think the court can see your point. Anyway, how did the police respond?

: So you're saying that there were police on the scene by 7:00 PM?
: They got there before that, I think. There usually aren't many people in that area at that time of day. But suddenly, before I knew it, there were people crawling all over gawking.

: It certainly says something about the morals of the people in this country.

And loop.

: (I can't find anything out of the ordinary in his testimony...)
: Why don't you take one more look at the Court Record?
: Yeah, I guess I should.

So, can you figure it out?

: You mean the victim's autopsy report?
: According to this, the murder occurred at 6:28 PM.
: So what of it?
: You said that you called the police immediately after the murder took place.
: However, by the time you had called the police, it was already 6:45 PM.

: I think this court would like to hear
: what you were doing during this 15 minute gap!
: Grrrrrr!

: The witness was in shock at the time after witnessing a terrible murder! It's only to be expected that he would be a little dazed...

: Fifteen minutes is hardly what I would call "a little dazed"!

: Mr. Wellington.
: Y-Yes?
: Explain yourself. What were you doing during those 15 minutes?

: Answer the question!
: ... I... Uhh... Telephone... Er... I mean...
: Spit it out!
: I... I was searching for a phone booth!
: A phone booth?
: You mean, you don't have a cell phone?
: ...!
: You and your questions! As if you're trying to open all the layers of a Matryoshka doll. You must think you're really something special!

: Witness!
: I-I lost my cell phone! There! Are you happy!?
: You lost it...?

: Unbelievable! You lose your glasses, and your cell phone!
: You must be very scatterbrained when it comes to your belongings.
: What!? Are you saying that first-rate people are never allowed to lose things!? Haven't you ever heard that all geniuses have a strange quirk or two? So by that rationale, since I have my own quirk, it would mean that I am a genius! I don't think simple, plain people like you can underst--

: Enough!
: (Oh man, oh man...)
: (Wait! Hold on a second. He lost... his cell phone?)

: Nick! That cell phone! Could it be...?

: (It's probably just a coincidence.)
: (I mean, what are the chances that this phone is that snob's anyway?)
: Nick!? What do you think you're doing!?
: You really should check out this lead!
: Is there a problem, Mr. Wright?
: N-No, Your Honor. (I should give this some more thought...)

: Mr. Wellington! Where is your cell phone right now?

: Heh, what are you getting all excited about? You seem to be a little confused.

: Oh... I see...
: Hmm, looks like he's got his phone.
: And I thought that just maybe this was his.

: Well then, I think we've cleared this issue up. At the time of the murder, the witness did not have his cell phone because he had lost it.
: Therefore, the delay in his call was caused by his search for a phone booth.

: Well, that's the gist of it. I guess you could put it that way and leave it at that.

: Hmm... No, I think I'm done here, Your Honor.
: Wait, wait, wait! What is with you today, Nick!? Take a good look at the Court Record!!
: Huh? What are you talking...? ... Ah... Aaaaaaaah!
: What is it, Mr. Wright? By your screaming, I assume you have a question after all?

Which drops us where the other option picks up.

: Your Honor! The witness' testimony does not make sense! I don't believe that there was ever a need for the witness to search for a phone!
: H-How dare you!

: You can't just make outrageous claims like that! You do have some sort of proof, don't you?
: Well, yeah... O-Of course!
: (This evidence should be good enough, I think...)
: Alright. Let's have this proof, then.

So, do you know what it is?

Next time: The proof.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 23, 2017

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The whole bit about public pay phones is really silly because they were rapidly becoming difficult to find back when the game was published, never mind in TYOOL 2017. Give me an hour and I don't think I can find a functional one in my local downtown area and I'm in a state capital.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Mors Rattus posted:

: ... Ummm... That's because I lost them recently, you see... Of course, I was planning on getting a new pair made right away! But you know, my glasses are no ordinary glasses, so to replace them--

This should be Wellington.

quote:

: It certainly says something about the morals of the people in this country.feel like makin love

What?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...yeah, that's a copy-paste error, I was looking up music lyrics at the same time, whoops.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

: Why are you not wearing your glasses today then?
: How about when you witnessed the crime? Were you wearing your glasses then?

Preeeety sure that middle image is supposed to be Wellington, and not Phoenix, unless our boy is prone to asking hard questions of himself and then answering himself in a flustered manner. :v:

But yeah, I think I know where this is going: It's the phone Phoenix has that is actually Wellingtons phone, isn't it? When Wellington attacked phoenix, he took his phone to give himself an alibi for his lost phone, and Phoenix can prove that by presenting this- machine for calling people. (Sorry, the word phone was losing all meaning and I had to take measures.)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

kw0134 posted:

The whole bit about public pay phones is really silly because they were rapidly becoming difficult to find back when the game was published, never mind in TYOOL 2017. Give me an hour and I don't think I can find a functional one in my local downtown area and I'm in a state capital.

Although there is one right across the body in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

kw0134 posted:

Did you miss the black and white evidence photographs?