Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mors Rattus posted:

...yeah, that's a copy-paste error, I was looking up music lyrics at the same time, whoops.

It sure says a lot about the morals of people in Japanifornia that they'd rather listen to Bad Company than report a murder, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Trasson posted:

Did you miss the black and white evidence photographs?
No, I did not. But when was the last time you saw a glass enclosed phone booth in the wild?

I'm commenting on the fact that in Japanifornia in the alleged current day, public telephones are a thing that exist and apparently convenient enough to make this guy's testimony a lie. Absent the obvious photo, someone saying they spent 15 minutes looking for a phone would be only suspicious for the fact that it only took him 15 minutes when they've more or less completely disappeared in the present day that the games are supposedly set to.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

kw0134 posted:

No, I did not. But when was the last time you saw a glass enclosed phone booth in the wild?

I'm commenting on the fact that in Japanifornia in the alleged current day, public telephones are a thing that exist and apparently convenient enough to make this guy's testimony a lie. Absent the obvious photo, someone saying they spent 15 minutes looking for a phone would be only suspicious for the fact that it only took him 15 minutes when they've more or less completely disappeared in the present day that the games are supposedly set to.

The game was originally released in 2002 in Japan. The future projection of 2016 isn't correct, which is why it is generally best to just presume that the games really take place in the early 2000's.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

MegaZeroX posted:

The game was originally released in 2002 in Japan. The future projection of 2016 isn't correct, which is why it is generally best to just presume that the games really take place in the early 2000's.

alternate universe 2000

with burger eating spirit mediums

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Maya is really the best watson to phoenix's sherlock

if watson loves anime and manga and costumed superheroes and burgers and ...

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I'm personally a bit baffled by the need to go through the entire exercise of pointing out that Dustin supposedly wrote the name incorrectly and using his non-dominant hand. The cause of death was a broken neck! Surely a cervical fracture severe enough to kill would also be severe enough to paralyze?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

David Corbett posted:

I'm personally a bit baffled by the need to go through the entire exercise of pointing out that Dustin supposedly wrote the name incorrectly and using his non-dominant hand. The cause of death was a broken neck! Surely a cervical fracture severe enough to kill would also be severe enough to paralyze?

Yeah, I thought that was just going to be a 'but he died instantly' thing.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, I thought that was just going to be a 'but he died instantly' thing.

Caused me all kinds of trouble when I did this case, as I recall. Must've tried to present that autopsy on every statement. Twice.

While I'm at it, does Phoenix really want to hang his hat on the supposed near-blindness of someone with 20/25 vision? Ffs that barely requires corrective lenses.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

David Corbett posted:

Caused me all kinds of trouble when I did this case, as I recall. Must've tried to present that autopsy on every statement. Twice.

While I'm at it, does Phoenix really want to hang his hat on the supposed near-blindness of someone with 20/25 vision? Ffs that barely requires corrective lenses.

I assumed that was a lie because of the statement about a bunch of bananas. Absolutely no way you could mistake a baseball glove for bananas at any range even if the gloves were yellow!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I assumed that was a lie because of the statement about a bunch of bananas. Absolutely no way you could mistake a baseball glove for bananas at any range even if the gloves were yellow!

unless you're a young, brainless fop millennial

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ok, I'll see myself out until the next update

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

David Corbett posted:

I mean obviously it's all going to loop back to the glasses, but I guess there's a step to go before that.

One of the frustrating things about these games is figuring out the relevance of a piece of evidence before the game requires you to, so you keep trying to present it early because the actual route makes less sense.

The following is not actually a spoiler because the case is made up, the joke is in the game structure.

Lemme know if you want me to remove that comic even though it doesn't spoil any cases at all.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 25, 2017

Warlocktopus
Aug 19, 2006
Post Post-Modern Man

PetraCore posted:

I mean obviously it's all going to loop back to the glasses, but I guess there's a step to go before that.

One of the frustrating things about these games is figuring out the relevance of a piece of evidence before the game requires you to, so you keep trying to present it early because the actual route makes less sense.

Lemme know if you want me to remove that comic even though it doesn't spoil any cases at all.

This comic was in the last thread, was great then, and it still feels wholly relevant here.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I still need to get around to reading the last thread, haha.

I love the Ace Attorney games but I also kind of burn out on playing them, so a LP is really nice.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One reason why I liked Aviary Attorney a bit more (the other being that I never actually played the Ace Attorney series): Not only does it never handhold you (rightly assuming you can figure out the basics) but none of the people involved are a complete idiot to the extent that 99% of AA characters are.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I am eternally sad there's no witness that says NOICE when given the opportunity to testify.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Xander77 posted:

One reason why I liked Aviary Attorney a bit more (the other being that I never actually played the Ace Attorney series): Not only does it never handhold you (rightly assuming you can figure out the basics) but none of the people involved are a complete idiot to the extent that 99% of AA characters are.

Aviary Attorney is great and everyone should go buy a copy to support my developer friend.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 1 - The Lost Turnabout
Part 6

: At the crime scene photo?
: Is there a problem with it?
: Oh, there's nothing wrong with the picture.

: It's... It's... A phone booth!

: That is correct! All the defendant had to do was walk three steps!

: Mr. Wellington! Why did you not use the phone that was right in front of you!?

: Order! Order!

: Wh-What does reporting the crime a little late prove for you!?

: The witness can't explain what he was doing for those 15 minutes!

: That is reason enough to throw suspicion on his testimony!
: Yes,
: this is very true. What do you have to say for yourself, witness!?
: ...

: He must've killed Dustin to get his phone back!
: But Maggey said that she was going to return it to him. So there was no reason for him to kill for it. And on top of that, we still have the phone she found anyway.
: Hmm... But if he wasn't looking for his cell phone,
: was he looking for something else...?
: (Was he...?)
: Mr. Wright.
: Yes, Your Honor?
: Do you have any thoughts you would like to share with the court?

: I'm afraid it's too early to say anything for sure at this time.
: I see... Mr. Payne? Will we be hearing further testimony from the prosecution?
: No, Your Honor. That is all.
: Oh crud...
: This witness has said that he saw the defendant commit the crime at the crime scene. While it is true that the witness was not wearing his glasses at the time,
: the court feels that since he was near the culprit, positive identification is possible.
: Which means...?
: The guilt of the defendant, Maggey Byrde, has been sufficiently substantiated.

: Nick! You have to do something before it's too late!!
: I hereby close the cross-exa--

: W-Wait! As to the actions of Mr. Wellington during the 15 minute gap,
: the defense would like to propose an explanation!

: I thought the defense had just finished proving that this couldn't be explained!

: No, there is one possibility!

Or...

: There is only one possible explanation.

And the paths merge.

: Alright. Let's hear your explanation.
: However, be forewarned that if your explanation is not persuasive,
: you will be penalized. Think carefully before you present, Mr. Wright.
: Yes, Your Honor!
: (Urk. I probably shouldn't have said there was only one possibility...)
: Please present to the court the one piece of evidence that will answer the following:

: Mr. Wellington!
: Wh-What!? Don't do that! You almost made me have a heart attack!

: I believe the court all heard what you just confessed to:

: That these glasses are in fact yours!

: I'll tell you where they were found, Mr. Wellington. These glasses were found under the victim's body.
: U-Under the v-victim's body!?

: N-Now, w-wait a second! Hold on! I-I didn't confess or confirm a-any-anything!

: Your Honor! I think the answer is quite clear here!

: M-Mr. Wright! Are you...? Are you indicting the witness as the real murderer!?
: Of course! That is precisely what I am doing!

: (He is the real murderer!)
: Did you figure it out, Nick!?
: More or less. Turns out this cell phone was the key to this case after all. Anyway, now is our chance to deep-six this guy. I'll sink him in one shot!
: Yeah!
: This is so exciting, watching you work again!

: (It's time to sink or swim; everything rests on the edge of a knife!)

: Your Honor! The defense... The defense is making a mockery of this court! Without any solid ground to stand on, he accuses the witness of being the murderer!
: Y-Y-Yeah! That-That's right! I... I'm no criminal!
: Th-This third-rate, fraud of a lawyer...
: In that case, why don't we look at it from a different perspective.

: Let's hear your explanation as to why you are NOT the murderer!
: Why, that's... That's easy... Um... Uh... For example... There's um... The name the victim wrote! What about that...?

: Y-Yeah! Even an idiot like you can read that, right?
: But we already know this was not written by the victim himself.
: After all, the defendant's name is "Maggey" and the victim was left-handed.
: So basically, you are saying that in order to make the defendant look guilty, the real criminal used the victim's right hand to write her name on the ground?
: B-But... But, but!! Wouldn't that mean that the real criminal was someone the defendant knew?
: Otherwise, how else would that person know her name was "Maggie", er "Maggey"!?
: That is a good point. The witness didn't even know of Ms. Byrde before this trial.
: (Ah, I forgot!)

: (No matter how I look at it, it's no good! There is no way he could have known Maggey or her name!)
: Nick! You can't get let this slimebag get away! Think harder!
: Y-You're right... (OK, let's go over this from the beginning one more time.)

Which brings us right to the correct option.

: (It would be best if I could prove that the witness had a chance to learn... that the defendant's name was "Maggey".)
: Now will the defense please present its case?

: Mr. Wellington. You didn't have your cell phone with you on the day of the murder, correct?
: So what if I didn't?
: When you realized you had lost it, what did you do?
: What did I do?
: Didn't you try to find it by calling it?
: Why you...! How did you...!?

: Your Honor! These questions have nothing to do with...

: Overruled.
: Mr. Wright, where are you going with this line of questioning? Do you think there is some relation between this witness' cell phone and the murder?
: I do, Your Honor.

: And!

: She also received a phone call from the owner of the phone!

: "Oh, thank you! I've been searching for my phone."
: "Is this yours? Oh, I'm glad you called! We can meet up and I can give this back!"
: "I'll be right there, um... I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name..."
: "You can call me Maggey!"

: Uh, um, nnngh...
: But you made one fatal mistake.
: Fatal mistake?
: My client's name is "Maggey" but the name that was written on the ground was "Maggie".

: B-But, Your Honor! The witness has no motive!
: And your point is?
: It's very simple, Your Honor. A person usually would not kill someone without a reason. Mr. Wellington had no reason to kill anyone!
: That is absolutely correct! I don't have a motive!
: Hmm...
: Your Honor?
: Can you explain what motive this witness could have had?
: It's very simple, Your Honor.
: ...!
: Are you sure, Nick!?
: If I said I can't offer an explanation, then the trial's over, right?
: Yeah, but...

: Mr. Wellington's motive is right here!
: What is this? ...A list?
: These phone numbers were pulled from the memory of the phone the defendant found.
: And we have determined that the people on this list are members of a "certain group".
: You... You looked up all those numbers...?
: Of course.
: This list of phone numbers was stored in the cell phone's memory. The names and numbers belong to people who are members of a certain con artists' group.
: Wh-Wh-Wh-Wh-What!? C-C-Con artists!?
: Can you explain why these numbers were on your phone, Mr. Wellington!?
: Th-This... This is an outrage! An invasion of privacy! Looking up the phone numbers on a person's phone is a worse crime than murder!
: Y-You're one of those people! You're just like the cops who raided that brilliant artist, Maurice Utrillo's atelier! They disrupted a genius at work and interrupted his dialogue with the Goddess of--

: I don't care, Mr. Wellington! All I want is for you to tell us what this list is about!
: Do you think you -- any of you, can know what it's like to be a refined man like me!?

: Your Honor! This-This is... This is unjust badgering of the witness!
: Objection overruled.
: Mr. Wright! What is the meaning of this!? Why would the witness have the numbers of a group of con artists on his phone!?

: He's investigating that group!
: Excuse me?
: What in the world are you saying, Nick!?
: If he was just looking into the group, then he has no reason to kill anyone!

: (Yeah, I should have seen that coming...)
: I'll ask you again: Why would the witness have the numbers of a group of con artists on his phone!?

: He was victimized by the group of con artists!
: I-Is that right!?
: And to take his revenge, he's looking for the names and numbers of the con artists...
: Hold on, Nick! What are you talking about!?
: If that's true, then he doesn't have a motive to kill Dustin Prince!
: ... (I guess so...)
: What is it? You became quiet all of a sudden.
: Um, I'm sorry, Your Honor. I'd like to try one more time.

: One more time, Mr. Wright. Why would the witness have the numbers of a group of con artists on his phone!?

: Mr. Wellington is a member of this very group!

: All of your "friends'" phone numbers are stored right here on this phone. If anyone were to look into these phone numbers, it would be all over for you.

: That is why you had to kill.

: Hmm,
: that does make quite a bit of sense.
: Well, Mr. Wellington? Would you care to explain?
: ... I... Um, I...
: (I got you now!)

: Your Honor!
: What is it, Mr. Payne?
: Your Honor! This-This is... This... This is unjust badgering of the witness!

: You said the exact same thing only a few seconds ago.
: P-P-P-P-Please! Please, let's think about the content of that phone call!

: "Um, hello?"
: "Oh, thank you! I've been searching for my phone."
: "Is this yours? Oh, I'm glad you called! We can meet up and I can give this back!"

: After that, all Mr. Wellington had to do was meet Ms. Byrde to get his phone back. Why, then, would he need to kill anyone!?

: That is a valid point. What does the defense think about this point?
: (Hmm... If you think about it logically, then it makes sense...)
: Then, maybe we should be
: thinking outside the box!
: (Yeah! If we think like that... Let's see... Maybe that slimeball saw something at the crime scene that made him commit murder.)
: Your thoughts, Mr. Wright?
: Hmm, well...
: I don't think Mr. Wellington went to pick up his phone in a very friendly manner.
: But he was promised his phone, so why would he have been unfriendly to the defendant?
: I think he must have seen something that didn't agree with him when he got there.
: Well, then Mr. Wright...

Next time: J'Accuse!

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 26, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, shoot! I thought, as soon as people brought up the picture, that pointing out the phonebooth might be a more parsimonious andwer than some vague nonsense about the phone hi picked up. But in my defense, it's going to come up! It has to!

But OK, time for round two: you say we can present people as evidence, right? Well, in that case, Dustin Prince is probably rhe answer! So: Wellingto calls his phone to find it, and finds out that Maggey's holding it for him, but he gets to Maggey and finds she's got a cop with her, uh oh! Wellington thinks he'll be made by this cop, so he lures Maggey away, and gives the cop a shove, and then frames her for it- that's the way I think it went down.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh Wellington, if you only had more panic animations than strangling yourself you'd be a lot more entertaining.

I mean strangling yourself is entertaining but you should put those brains to use and do so more inventively! Artistically!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it kind of universally acknowledged that all the prosecutors except for, like, Edgeworth are in some kind of malevolent cahoots?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Mors Rattus posted:

: So basically, you are saying that in order to make the defendant look guilty, the real criminal used the victim's righth and to write her name on the ground?
: I don't care, Mr. Wellington! All I want is for oyu to tell us what this list is about!

A couple typos here.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Thanks, AAttorney -- now I've seen a man garrote himself with a scarf.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mors Rattus posted:

[img][/img]
Also looks like you have an extra set of tags here.

Glazius posted:

Is it kind of universally acknowledged that all the prosecutors except for, like, Edgeworth are in some kind of malevolent cahoots?
I don't know about "cahoots", but I think trial records are super important, since a lot of the other prosecutors make a big deal about them. Seeing as von Karma in the first game was obsessed enough with his trial record to doctor evidence and even go so far as to kill over it, and both Edgeworth (in the first game) and several others bring it up from time to time, IIRC. It might cause a prosecutor more concerned with their career than seeing justice done to slip off of the ethical side of the highway.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Glazius posted:

It's a spoof if Japan where this is basically literally true.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cornered is such a fantastic track in every game that it's in.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

SirSamVimes posted:

Cornered is such a fantastic track in every game that it's in.

So, all of them.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I'm going to guess that he wasn't thrilled about seeing a policeman standing right there next to the person who had his phone. He didn't know Maggey was also a policewoman since she wasn't in uniform at the time, so the only one he was worried about was Dustin. He killed Dustin to ensure that Dustin could never use his knowledge of the incriminating phone numbers in his phone's contacts. And therefore, the evidence we need to present is Dustin's profile entry that states that Dustin was a policeman.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 1 - The Lost Turnabout
Part 7

While we're in here, some new profiles.

Anyway, back to the game.

: What Mr. Wellington saw was... the victim.
: T-The... The victim!? You mean Dustin Prince!?
: Dustin Prince had gone on his date right after his shift was over. With no time to change, he went to the park still wearing his
: police uniform!
: Oh!

: He couldn't have known they were going out so he began to worry. He was afraid the policeman would ask a few questions before returning the phone.

: In his mind, it was possible they had already run a check on the phone!

: And he went into a panic, is what you're saying?

: Exactly.

: Mr. Payne. Do you have any comments?
: I, um... I'm thinking...
: Hmm,
: it seems the truth has come out at last. The witness... Mr. Wellington, you are--

: What's that supposed to mean!?

: Uuugh! That guy is really creeping me out--

: But who's to say that phone is really mine!? Where's your proof!? Your evidence!?

: That phone I lost -- I've already found it!

: You can be sure it isn't mine, you simpleton!

: Hmm... We do seem to have a problem on our hands with this phone.
: Whose phone is it? Without knowing that, it's meaningless as evidence.

: Your Honor!
: (This is bad... I can't let him turn the tables on me like this!!)
: (Hmm... This cell phone...)

: This phone has the names and numbers of those in the con group in its memory.
: I can show them to you, Your Honor!

: I don't believe this. What are you talking about?
: Uh...
: What we are trying to determine is who that phone belongs to! Who cares about what phone numbers are stored on it!? Besides, who knows. Maybe you went and added some of those numbers in yourself!

: The witness is quite right. I'm afraid I have to reject the defense's proposal.
: (Grr... That jerk is back to his arrogant, annoying self again...)

: I got it! We should check for fingerprints!
: Finger...prints...?
: Yes, Your Honor. Mr. Wellington must have left some prints on this phone!
: Nick! Don't you remember!? When you gat that from Maggey, you wiped it off!
: I what!?
: You said there was sand all over it, so...
: W-Wiped it? I wiped it...?
: Pretty thoroughly, too...

: It's oh-so-much fun watching third-rate trash babble like morons amongst themselves!
: (Aargh! He's made a complete recovery...)
: How many times do I have to say this: my phone is right here! You see? Oh, and incidentally, you can't check the numbers stored on this phone.

: It must have glitched because all the numbers just magically disappeared!
: (You've got to be joking! He erased all the numbers I was going to use as evidence!) ...
: Mr. Wellington...
: What's this? From the way you talk to me, it sounds like you still have some fight left in you.
: Where did you finally find your cell phone!?

: And of course you have no idea what I'm talking about!
: ...?

: Huh, looks like they hung up.

: (So that's when...)

: What's wrong, Mr. Attorney? Why the harsh glare in your eyes...?
: Nick. We've worked so hard to get this far, but if you don't do something quick, he's going to get off scot-free!
: I know. (I know this phone has to be his... But how am I supposed to prove something like that!?)

: If you cannot prove who the owner of that cell phone is, your indictment has no basis, and therefore, no power.
: It looks like you came up a penny short.
: (Where...? Where did I go wrong...?)

: Don't blame yourself, you're merely a third-rate lawyer. You only made one big mistake. Who are you? What are you? That's something you haven't figured out for yourself yet.
: (Who... I am?)

: The court hereby concludes the cross-examination!
: Heh heh heh...
: If that will be all, I'll have to bid you gentlemen and ladies goodbye. I have a reservation at that ultra-fancy restaurant on the upper side of town.
: Thank you for your assistance. You've had a stressful day, so please, bon appetite!

Sic, I think.

: (It's no use. I can't do any more. There's nothing left. Nothing left but to go back to my hometown...)
: (But where in the world is that, anyway?)
: What are you mumbling about!? You're... Well, you're YOU, Nick! And because you're you, you can't give up now!
: ("If I were me"...?) Alright. If I were me, then what would I do?
: That's easy! For starters, you'd raise your voice and object!
: (So for now, I should at least say something!)

Which drops us at the other option.

: Please wait, Your Honor!

: I think I may be able to
: prove it!
: "Prove it...?" Prove what, Mr. Wright?
: Everything!

: Y-Your Honor! The cross-examination has already ended! If he questions the witness with any more of his badgering...
:You will not harass the witness. Is that clear, Mr. Wright?

: Did you hear that? No harassment allowed, Mr. Attorney.

: Please, Your Honor!

: Very well.
: But this is your last chance, Mr. Wright.
: You may present once piece of evidence to the court.
: (I only get one shot at this!)
: If you cannot "prove" everything...

: It's over. For your client, and for you. Do you fully understand?

: Yes, Your Hon--

: I'm sure you are well aware, Your Honor, but the cross-examination period has ended!

: Were you paying attention, Mr. Payne?
: I said that Mr. Wright could present only one more piece of evidence.
: Oh...
: Now then, Mr. Wright. This is your last chance.
: (It all comes down to this! It's Go time!)

: Why, thank you. How nice.

: Wait, what am I doing!? This isn't the time to be exchanging business cards!
: Your Honor.

: The name on that card tells people who I am!

: It even told ME that I'm "Phoenix Wright"!
: ...Did you not know that?
: Nope!

: Wh-Wh-What's the meaning of this nonsense!?

: Ouch... Talk about a tongue-lashing, Nick...
: (Urk. I should probably try this from a different angle...)

Which leaves us where the right choice would.

: This card is important because of what is on the back!
: Hmm? You wrote your cell phone number on the back, but...
: But that's exactly it. Can you please call this number from your cell phone?
: Huh? Right now!? But court is still in session!
: It's OK. You'll see.

: Is the defense preparing something, Mr. Wright?
: We are going to call my cell phone now.
: And then the court will see everything for what it is!
: O-Of all the idiotic, stupid things to...

: Wh-What!? Why is my phone...? And what is with this stupid-sounding ringtone!?

: Mr. Wellington.
: Hmm... How strange... I could almost swear that
: you're holding MY phone!
: Y-Your...
: AAAAAAAAAAAH! No, no, no, no, no! It can't...!!
: By the way, before I forget, thank you very much for the lump on my head this morning.
: Nnnnngh...
: I don't think I need to explain any further, except to say:

Fade to black, time passes.

: So that is what happened. You were knocked out by Mr. Wellington...
: He is a man who lives on his pride and self-image alone.
: And in order to hide his involvement with the con artists' group,
: he has become paranoid, and has lost all ability to make rational judgments.
: Then... Then, Mr. Wright... The phone you're holding...
: It's Mr. Wellington's, naturally.
: Speaking of that man, how is he, Mr. Payne?
: Ah, he was arrested and has been taken away, Your Honor.

: Very well.
: Now then, this court finds the defendant, Maggey Byrde...

: That is all. This court is adjourned!

: I am so moved by what you've done for me, sir!

: Thank you so much, Mr. Wright!
: I feel really bad for Dustin. He didn't do anything to deserve this...
: ... It's probably because of me...
: Huh?
: My whole life has been nothing but a whirlwind of bad luck and failures.
: Your whole life? It couldn't have been that bad, could it?
: Since I was 6 months old, when I fell from the 9th floor of my apartment building, I've been hit by all sorts of vehicles, gotten sick from all sorts of foods, failed at almost every test I've ever taken, experienced almost every kind of disaster, and never won or even tied at a game of tic-tac-toe! My life has really been nothing but a string of disasters.
: That is, uh... pretty bad...
: Up until I went to college, I was known as the "Goddess of Misfortune". And then, at the academy, everyone called me "Lady Luckless".
: "Lady Luckless"...
: What's worse is that my misfortune always seems to latch onto those around me.
: What do you mean?
: When I see someone in trouble, I always try to help...
: Ah, that's right. You were talking about this earlier.
: It happened again recently, too, sir. There was an old lady pacing back and forth by the pedestrian crosswalk. I gave her my hand and...
: before I knew it, we were having dinner at my house.
: ... Oh.
: I'm sure Dustin's gone because of me...
: That's not true!
: That glove didn't even have any sort of special meaning. It was just a present to say thanks for covering one of my night shifts.
: Oh, I see...
: Everything is all my fault! Dustin's death, your head being all messed up...
: Uh, well, I don't think my head is that messed up yet...

: I'm going to find a new life for myself starting now. The next time we meet, I'm sure I'll... I'm sure I'll have found a whole ocean's worth of good luck by then, sir!
: Yeah. After all, the "Goddess of Misfortune" is only a name!
: You bet! I'm gonna make it! I promise! Next time we meet, I'll only be an "Unlucky Person", instead of a goddess!
: Y-Yeah! That's the spirit!
: Well, Mr. Wright, Maya, I should get going.
: OK! Good luck to you!

: Thanks! You take care of yourselves, too!

She leaves.

: *sigh* What a horrible day... I've gotten my memory back, but things are still a little fuzzy...
: But you're OK, and that's what counts.
: You really had me worried!
: Come on, let's go back to the office.
: (Hmm... I'm afraid to ask, but here goes...) So, this might sound bad, but... uh... Who are you...?
: What!? I thought you said you got your memory back!

: (everything really did come back to me...)

: He's someone I've had clashes with in the past during certain cases. But he's also been a good ally during others.

: He's a lovable, kind old man who is easily swayed by other people's opinions. But in the end, he always comes up with the right verdict.

: He seems to know me, but maybe he's mistaking me for someone else...?

: You...
: You finally remembered!
: (This is Maya Fey, my assistant. That's right... I have so many unforgettable memories about her. For example...)
: Earth to Nick! What's wrong?
: You keep starting at me! Don't tell me you've missed me?

Staring, I think, is the word they wanted.

: Uh, well, yeah I suppose I have.

Commas missing in original, too. Generally, comma mistakes are rarely my fault.

: I feel like I haven't seen you in ages.
: Oh?
: Well, I'm back now. So it's time for us to create new memories together!
: Alright. Sounds good. (All the phone numbers on my phone were erased by Mr. Wellington. I guess I have to start over from the very beginning...)
: Come on, Nick! Let's go to our usual burger joint!
: OK, OK. (Actually, it hasn't even been two months since she came back into my life.)

: (That story began on one rainy afternoon, two months ago...)

Oof, that's some real DS cutoff line there.

Next time: Reunion, and Turnabout

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 29, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mors Rattus posted:

: What's this? From the way you talk to me, it sounds like oyu still have some fight left in you.
More "oyu". Seems to be a common typo for you.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
As someone who speaks French, I can confirm that "bon appetite" is incorrect. It should be "bon appétit", but "bon appetit" is kind of acceptable if you're typing on a US keyboard and don't know how to do the accents. (Or if you don't want to have to worry about your text being messed up by incorrect Unicode conversions: that happens, too). Either way, the final "e" shouldn't be there, and incidentally the final "t" is silent. When spoken, it sounds like "bone app eh tee", not "bone app eh teet".

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tax Refund posted:

As someone who speaks French, I can confirm that "bon appetite" is incorrect. It should be "bon appétit", but "bon appetit" is kind of acceptable if you're typing on a US keyboard and don't know how to do the accents. (Or if you don't want to have to worry about your text being messed up by incorrect Unicode conversions: that happens, too). Either way, the final "e" shouldn't be there, and incidentally the final "t" is silent. When spoken, it sounds like "bone app eh tee", not "bone app eh teet".

Osteoporosis

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

: Come on, Nick! Let's go to our usual burger joint!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I could have swore that Richard Wellington spent most of the time in the cheeks-on-face blubbering animation, which I remember hating the last time I played, but I guess past me saw it wrong? He actually seems like a pretty decent intro villain.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

You'd think that for a guy who runs around with a con artist ring, he'd have been able to sweet-talk the cop into giving him his phone with no fuss. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe he's not a very good con artist?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tax Refund posted:

I thought the idea was that Max Payne didn't actually know how to say bon appétit.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...And now I want to see what Phoenix vs. Max would look like.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

IAmTheRad posted:

So, all of them.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Every variation of Cornered is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

PetraCore posted:

I thought the idea was that Max Payne didn't actually know how to say bon appétit.

His name's Winston, dood.