Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

whitehelm posted:

Some people might, but a lot of lists put the fourth/fifth games below this one.

As glad as I am that not all people disliked this game and that the fifth game is apparently not as well loved as I was led to initially believe, the fourth game is underrated in my opinion. It has an interesting atmosphere, and it's the last of the main series that was written by Shuu Takumi.

I'm looking forward to seeing this game again. It's pulling up old memories of what I thought when I initially played it. I wonder if people would have given this game more of a positive reception if the music style wasn't such a departure from the first game. Going from an energetic chiptunes soundfont to something that sounds a like a MIDI was a noticeable change for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

give head or get dead posted:

I had no idea what baseball was, so i remember getting stuck on this puzzle for a bit. Ended up brute forcing it!

This is the proper Ace Attorney experience that I've been missing for so long.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I could have swore that Richard Wellington spent most of the time in the cheeks-on-face blubbering animation, which I remember hating the last time I played, but I guess past me saw it wrong? He actually seems like a pretty decent intro villain.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zagglezig posted:

I've played this game a couple times and I don't think it ever mentally clicked before now that, timeline-wise, the first case here comes after the second case.

Wait really? Explain please?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Me and Phoenix are on the same boat here. Pearl "Pearls" Fey is way too freaking cute. Already smiling here.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Patter Song posted:

The series increases the supernatural elements so slowly that you can forget Ace Attorney 1 barely had them. You can see that right now: Ace Attorney 1 has Phoenix have a ghost-summoning sidekick who isn't particularly good at spirit channeling and whose abilities are iffy. Ace Attorney 2 has two different magic spirit channel clan girls and Phoenix himself has a magical talisman.

I really love how the mainline games (I guess the games written by Shuu Takumi) does it. This plotline just feels like a natural extension from the first game after the player has accepted that spirit-channeling mediums is a thing in the Ace Attorney world. One of the natural questions that follows is how they learned that sort of technique, followed by where. Good stuff!

Let's see if Phoenix knows how to handle an apparently magical tool of high importance properly. :allears:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The only true ship is Phoenix/stepladder. Sorry, but I don't make the rules.

Edit: followed closely by Phoenix/attorney badge. He just wants to show everybody his badge...

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 21, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Re: Maya/Phoenix talk, I always considered the two of them more as friends or adoptive family. In fact, they are actually one of my favorite friendships from a lot of stories I've seen. Apologies to Pearl.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

: Umm... (Why is it lately, all I want to do is cry...?)

Further proof that Phoenix is the most relatable character.

edit: or according to the timeline, Phoenix is just expressing the 2017 mood. Hopefully 2018 will be better!

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
:stare: I don't remember seeing that scene of Morgan Fey looking quite so dubious...