Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TheDavies posted:

... I really hope this one improves from its start, because hoo boy.

Even though people call this game the weakest of the six mainline games, and even though that might actually be true, this series is so fantastic that its weakest entry is still a very good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Tax Refund posted:

During the last LP, since I had never played the game, I speculated (in spoiler tags so that I wouldn't accidentally spoil it for anyone else) about the cases so that people who've played before could enjoy watching me guess. You've asked for no spoiler tags, though, so maybe I'd better refrain from doing that this time? After all, some people would probably see spoiler tags and think "Oh, free reign to post real spoilers behind tags", and I'd hate to encourage that.

But if you think the LP would be enhanced from having someone trying to blind-guess at the solutions, let me know and I'll post my speculations. (Of course, this first case is the tutorial, so it's obvious — but in later cases, I'd totally be speculating).

I certainly hope you're allowed to do this; it's tremendous fun watching people try to figure these out.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
It doesn't help JFA that it's also the shortest game in the series and that it feels incredibly Capcom-sequel-y, like it's an expansion to the first game.

Of course, there are new elements: like OP's already pointed out, we're now able to present people in addition to evidence.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

I though it had maxed out in AA5, but it somehow got even more blatantly Japanese in 6. It's incredible on several levels.

AA6 has the benefit of having Wright overseas in pseudo-Tibet, so you have a "Their ways are not our ways" thing going on. Like, it's clear he's supposed to be a fish out of water.

EDIT: This update is the first introduction of Maya's cousin, Pearls Fey. Pearly has great character music.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 2, 2017

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Morgan Fey is a top-tier name pun.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
The series increases the supernatural elements so slowly that you can forget Ace Attorney 1 barely had them. You can see that right now: Ace Attorney 1 has Phoenix have a ghost-summoning sidekick who isn't particularly good at spirit channeling and whose abilities are iffy. Ace Attorney 2 has two different magic spirit channel clan girls and Phoenix himself has a magical talisman.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
The victim here, the rear end in a top hat doctor who wants to summon a ghost to acquit him of any wrongdoing in a malpractice claim, is exactly the sort of mundane bullshit a spirit channeler would put up with irl.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Let's be real here. Without actual freakin' magic, how is a naive chump like Phoenix even going to stand up to the Japanifornian prosecutory monolith getting serious?

Phoenix is 7-0 now. He's beaten Paine twice, Edgeworth three times, and von Karma twice (first in acquitting Edgeworth of the death of Robert Hammond, and second in acquitting Edgeworth of the death of Gregory Edgeworth, both on the same day). He's brought down the Chief of Police and destroyed Manfred von Karma. He's already the boogeyman of the prosecutor's office.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think that even with full anime prodigy rules in effect and the nepotism bonus, von Karma the Younger should have been aged up 4 or 5 years. Even at five years older, von Karma the Younger would be a year younger than Phoenix with six years' experience.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Like it or hate it, the trope of unrealistic prodigy characters is not going away.

Of course not, but this is an extreme case even by Ace Attorney standards. Edgeworth in the last game started prosecuting at 22. That is exceptional but mathematically possible.

Alternately, Ace Attorney Germany is just a land ruled by teenagers.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
EDIT: I probably shouldn't have answered that question.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 22, 2017

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Outside of Edgeworth/Oldbag, I don't have any AA ships.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I love Mia's ghost has all these Psyche-Locks.

The entire rest of Phoenix's life, he'll know if people are being evasive or hiding things from him. Think about that.

"The price is low because it's used, Mr. Wright, but ths car used to belong to a nice old lady who only drove to and forth from the store. It's never had any issue, really!"

Chains cross, three locks appear

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 28, 2017

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Franz is most certainly not using a toy whip, much to the chagrin of everyone involved.

That said, I do like the hint that the whip is just one way she's trying to establish herself in what seems to be a male dominated field.

That said, it really annoys me that Phoenix never bothers asking WHY The Franz believes the self-defense was justified.

She just said that the victim carried his own pistol into a séance.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

Oh Franny :allears:

I can't recall if this is the most boxed in Phoenix has ever been to start a case or if something down the road is worse

Just looking back at the first game, 1-4 is a strong contender.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, it has to happen eventually, in a series that's up to what, 5 games now?

Six main games, plus a crossover with Professor Layton, plus two Ace Attorney Investigations spinoffs, plus two Great Ace Attorney games featuring Phoenix Wright's Japanese ancestor hanging out with Sherlock Holmes. Investigations 2 and both Great Ace Attorney titles were never released outside of Japan, though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
By the way, I remember the last thread discussing in 1-4 whether or not all convicted murderers get the death penalty. This case here clearly already shows that there's some sort of murder/manslaughter distinction at work and that extenuating circumstances are taken into account in sentencing.

I tend to think that Edgeworth might have gotten the death sentence for the premeditated murder of Hammond if we'd lost in the first part of that case, but if we lost in the second part, there's no way Edgeworth would've gotten a very harsh sentence for "accidentally killing his dad" at age 9. The most important things at stake in 1-4's second part were Edgeworth's conscience and not letting von Karma get away with murder, not saving Edgeworth from the hangman.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

And yes, that does mean Trilogy is a port of a port of games that are nearly three console generations old now.

I prefer to think of them as a compilation of a port of games, but yes.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just go the opposite direction and have Manfred von Karma prosecute again.

Post-mortem.

Channeled by Maya.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Yeah, like the young boy who threw a gun at the guy who was choking his dad. If the gun goes off and kills someone, that's the chair for the boy.

Extenuating circumstances? Self defense / defense of others? What're those? :downs:

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that given the Judge's dialogue in that case, that Edgeworth would have a less harsh penalty for killing his father than he would have had if he had been convicted of killing Hammond.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

Lying is a bit harsh, he was unconscious at the time of his murder. I think it's not unreasonable for him to have assumed the man next to him with a gun did it.

Yeah, I think Gregory Edgeworth really did think that Yogi killed him. As George Costanza said, it's not lying if you believe it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
She is named after the most famous witch of all time.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

nonrev posted:

:eng101: Apparently the name Margaret is derived from the Persian/Sanskrit word for pearl.

Anyone who played No More Heroes 2 would know that from Margaret's ridiculous song.

Margaret is Greek you geek
It means pearl
I'm a pure girl
Boys cannot crack this oyster's shell...

...OK, look, I died to her a lot so I heard her song a bunch.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
This would be a pretty fair case for Phoenix to just give in on. Evidence seems pretty overwhelming.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Morgan Fey is my favorite name pun in the entire series. It's just subtle enough.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yeah, Morgana/Morgaine/Morgan le Fay, King Arthur's archnemesis/half-sister.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I have nothing against rereleases. I just hope that they'll price it reasonably. Capcom tends to not gouge people to buy their old stuff too much.

Anything over $20 or $25 would be insane for this, though.

I have no interest in this, but there's plenty of people who never played Ace Attorney.

The idea of also porting over the later games is nice, although they'll probably come individually. If that's the case, I wish they'd bundled 4 with the first 3. No one's buying Ace Attorney 4 just for itself, but it's an important part of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Obligatory Awkward Zombie comic. (Contains slight spoilers in that it shows a character that will appear in a future game in the series, but nothing else.)

This case isn't really that bad on the "the accused couldn't possibly have done it" point. Knowing what the Judge currently knows, it's totally possible that Maya is the murderer. There are definitely cases where you do hit the whole "the defendant cannot possibly be guilty but we're going along anyway," though. In fact, we already saw one last game in case 1-3 where, after a certain point, it's blatantly obvious that it was impossible that Will Powers was the murderer, but he could still get convicted if you messed up.