Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Oh it's this thread again. I like this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
(Shoves a missile launcher and a gatling gun together)
MAKE BABIES GODDAMN IT!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Welcome back! Wonderful to have you posting here again! :D

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Elentor posted:

What sort of madwoman creates ships through chromosomes and genes?

:hmmyes::hellyeah:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was a simple bug that I fixed. I think. Hope. Fingers crossed.

I wasn't clearing temporary items when switching previews. Which seems weird, given that it worked for everything else except for the situation where I have a second primary weapon being previewed switched to a secondary weapon preview. I mean, it's interesting that it worked in every other case I guess, but now the code is fixed.

And I say "fixed" very generously. I am not uh, experienced with coding GUIs, as I might have said before. But since I coded this I got a lot more experience. So, while the ship generation code is half beautiful half weird, the GUI code is entirely uhhh bad. It makes me wanna refactor everything.

But, you know what, it's working. So I'm moving to content.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay friends, I need some ideas to sketch in the upcoming weeks.

I need ideas for unusual Shmup stages.

I want to do a few mockups on assorted ideas before I fully commit to the 1.0 stage list. They can be whacky, or not. Just things that you wouldn't expect to see, not necessarily absurd stages, but you can give me ideas for those as well. Everything's welcome here.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
A stage where two sides are fighting each other coming in from the left and right hand side of the screen and you are going up in between them.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elentor posted:

Okay friends, I need some ideas to sketch in the upcoming weeks.

I need ideas for unusual Shmup stages.

I want to do a few mockups on assorted ideas before I fully commit to the 1.0 stage list. They can be whacky, or not. Just things that you wouldn't expect to see, not necessarily absurd stages, but you can give me ideas for those as well. Everything's welcome here.

a giant tower that you're going up the surface/side of and it turns out it's a water bottle

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A stage where instead of scrolling vertically or horizontally, you're scrolling in scale, changing size from fighting individual cells to fighting entire galaxies.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
See, in the process of thinking of wacky levels I kinda realized that "something scale-related" seems to be a pretty big pitfall. For example:

* The obligatory food stage. This is happening, I don't care how many shaders I have to write to make the food look juicy and tasty, this is happening.
* So now you have giant food, the next step is giant anything - and then you kinda realize that making your ship small and Toy Storyfy the environment can create any sort of wild scenarios. It's a tried and proven formula, from Toy Story to Princess and the Frog to so many other animations. A bedroom stage, A jungle stage where you're small - even in that biome, you can still explore different scenarios. A stage themed after flowers, a stage themed after waterlilies, or insects and the boss is an oversized spider, or underwater and there are fish bigger than your ship.

It also seems to be a very easy trope to fall into because scale is not really something that matters or makes sense, generally speaking, in Shmups. Even shmups that adhere to some sort of realism do that in the loosest possible sense.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're the giant ship in the background trying to shoot down the plucky little ship in the foreground.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's nice. Going more low-key: A stage where you're on the top side and you're just fighting a smaller ship, and the only health bar you see is yours.

Just a "you were the villain all along moment".

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A stage where you're orbiting a planet and (defying all known orbital mechanics) have to change your inclination to cover (and clear) the full planet airspace and eventually find the boss.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

- You have to "collect" all the bullets to prevent them from hitting something important but fragile behind you.

- Shmup / rhythm game mashup where the bullets are tied to the music. Basically Pistol Whip but not VR.

- Every time you shoot, the enemies shoot so you have to be careful about when to attack.

- Turn and grid based Shmup puzzler where you have to think about where the bullets will be several turns from now so you don't corner yourself.

- Game world is the surface of a manifold such as a cylinder, torus or sphere, or even more exotic things like a Klein bottle. Bullets wrap around the screen in interesting ways.

- Black hole or other massive object that causes bullet trajectories to curve and even orbit. Bonus points if it can move. Interestingly, this is a throwback to one of the first video games ever made - Spacewar!

Edit: beaten on the last one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Your bullets are spices, and you need to appropriately flavor the food in front of you. Pick up different weapons to switch spices.

An ordinary side-scrolling shmup, except the enemy is playing a beat-em-up instead. So you're flying along a city street while punks wander around and try to punch/kick/throw you.

You're a space wildlife researcher. Instead of killing enemies, you need to tap them once with a tracking collar and then scan them (which entails staying close enough to pick up the collar's signal), while avoiding their attacks.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

A stage where two sides are fighting each other coming in from the left and right hand side of the screen and you are going up in between them.

A (horizontal) stage where you're fighting on the side of a larger force against a single, highly manouevrable enemy. You have to dodge the bullets coming in from the left from all the people who are allegedly on your side while the target enemy ship can easily duck out of the way of their and your bullets, and picks your allies off one by one as they use increasingly bigger and more desperate attacks to try and hit it. Once they're all down, the enemy's engines break down, preventing it from doing its bullshit manouevring, and it becomes the level's boss fight.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
After playing through the stage once, you and the enemy timewarp to the start. On the next loop(s) you have to defend your past self while you dodge your past self's bullets.

Your forward thrusters have failed. Propel yourself through the level using gunfire reaction force alone.

On the not-appropriate-here scale: you're trying to shoot down a small agile space ship (or anime girl in frilly dress), but you can only fire slow moving bullets in highly intricate geometric patterns in time to the music. Build combos to crescendo the song and up your pattern intricacy until the opponent is caught.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
-You're invulnerable, but the stage isn't. Try to avoid causing as much collateral damage as possible.
-Instead of coming from your ship, your attacks come from something off-screen behind you, and they can hit you if you're not careful.
-A very short stage where you have infinite retries and a powerful weapon that can destroy multiple enemies in one shot, but has a very limited number of shots. Can you shoot down every enemy?
-You don't have any weapons, but you don't take damage from ramming into enemies.
-You don't have any weapons per se, but you have a grapple cannon that can attach you to an enemy so you can drag them around and into other enemies.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The stage is a victory parade to celebrate your defeat of the boss in the previous stage, who the player has been led to believe was the final boss. You have to dodge all the fireworks that your overexcited fans are letting off. Also some of them are so eager to meet you that they've attached balloons to garage chairs and are floating up, and you have to pop the balloons before they float away and catch them before they fall down. Then at the end of the stage the true antagonist crashes the parade and attacks you.

E: also the boss rush is a series of blimps made up to look like the bosses you've fought so far

Whybird fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 26, 2020

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
You are in a giant space factory/orbital yard that is under attack. The stage has special one-shot pick up weapons that you have to use in the correct sequence to assemble ships that become allies and/or fly off into the background battle. So for example you'll have a half-finished ship on a screen and you have to grab the Engines it is missing and "shoot" them onto it.

A "who dun it" where instead of waves of ships it is the same 6-7 ships, one of whom is a Criminal and you have to use context clues from the background and ship behavior to determine who it is before they charge up their hyperdrive and escape. The terrain is destructible and can reveal "clues" as you scroll around.

A hyperspace mishap traps you in a void with several copies of your ship. You have to fight to show which of you is the Real space cowboy.

You encounter an enemy so powerful/numerous that the standard scroll direction reverses and you have to do a fighting retreat. You can bail out at any time, but the longer you hold out the more friendlies/civilians can escape.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After a lot of trouble trying to find out the half a dozen ways upgrading Unity broke the project I fixed it and got a nice range of moods going.

Edit: Here's a slightly better version with enhanced details and contrast:

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 31, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Backgrounds are nice but the ship in the middle picture really whips

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
So this may be bringing things way back, but early on in the thread you talked about how thin ships had a much easier time of dealing with the Bullet Hell situations than the wider ships. That's fair enough, but is there any advantage to a wide ship? Can it mount more weapons, have some special abilities, etc to offset that?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

professor_curly posted:

So this may be bringing things way back, but early on in the thread you talked about how thin ships had a much easier time of dealing with the Bullet Hell situations than the wider ships. That's fair enough, but is there any advantage to a wide ship? Can it mount more weapons, have some special abilities, etc to offset that?

More HP, can equip more stuff. But there won't be too many big ships around, they're there as a risky sidegrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So. This is tangentially related.

This is a far denser (but shorter) read, but for anyone interested, I've been running a CYOA that uses aspects of this project for the background (basically everything).
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942620. It's almost at the end right now.

(And yes, I'm still working on this, albeit at a much slower pace since I need to balance it with my current job.)