Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Figuring out transformation matrices was enough of a pain when I was trying to add twin thruster trails to a couple of spaceship sprites! This is fascinating stuff, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The Dominions 3 RNG quilt is infamous on these forums, and illustrates some serious clustering with the results. Add the fact that the game uses exploding dice (you roll again if you get the maximum result, repeat indefinitely) and you get the potential for the odd very improbable result.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I was just thinking you could run it through a couple colour filters and get some kind of tartan. Do you have any insight into how the RNG got to be that bad?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Elentor posted:

To be honest, I'm likely as curious about the Doms 3 properties as you are. poo poo, if I knew its formula I would unironically use it to produce greeble textures.

I did a little bit of googling, and supposedly this is the decompiled code to the RNG. It's late at night and I'm not used to parsing obfuscuated code, but maybe this could help you with creating greeble? :shobon:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I look forward to seeing what comes out of it! Supposedly, for those playing at home, it works by iterating through an array of predetermined variables, incrementing another, and XORing the "random" product with some other data or somesuch. Either way, with 500 "seeds," regular increments, and a predictable operation, that would explain the cross-hatching. Compsci should not be attempted when you're mega tired, but drat if it isn't interesting taking a peek behind a fascinating game.

Thanks for digging into this, Elentor. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :sun:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Phrosphor posted:

I got such a Tyrian feel from that first sketch and some of the UI elements in the second demo video. Nice!

It's the rounded orange text over the tan background that does it. As a Tyrian fan, I'm pretty pumped with this.

The game prototype I was making in which I figured out rotation matrices for thruster trails used Tyrian sprites. :shobon:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Textures! I wanna see if that reverse-engineered Dominions RNG has any practical applications. :shobon:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I'm getting a Solar Winds vibe here, and I dig it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Elentor posted:

One last bit of a teaser:

First model rotating/zooming feature I wrote. Zooming in to see the ships inside the game is pretty cool.

And you can leave the ship spinning. :v:

As an EVE Online survivor, I can confirm that ship spinning is as critical a feature as being able to compare EHP. Thanks for the update :sun:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Have you considered crowdsourcing your flavour text? I'd be happy to take a crack at filling in some entries on a spreadsheet with some guidelines.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

This is fascinating, and the flat earth bit was comedy gold.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Elentor posted:

I think I accidentally made a traditional turn-based RPG while taking a break and playing with the itemization system I created for TSID.

You can't write that and not post more. :allears:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It's been a fantastic ride seeing the development as it happened. You've been fantastic at spinning this into something as entertaining as it is informative, and we all hope for the best in your future. Get better soon. :unsmith:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

biosterous posted:

I would be happy to read more gamedev!

Who among us wouldn't? I know I'd love to read more!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Sounds awesome! I'm sure we all can't wait to see what comes out of this.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It's been an amazing thread. Thank you, Elentor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Welcome back! Wonderful to have you posting here again! :D