Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

I'm the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

sam jackson is a good actor, but his performance as a cj dealing with someone else's bullshit computer crap was exceptionally convincing

pram
Jun 10, 2001

best ever

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm the CM-5 connection machines

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Around the same time MS did the whole "hover over monochrome icons and they'll turn to the colorized version" that I thought was rad as hell

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

sam jackson is a good actor, but his performance as a cj dealing with someone else's bullshit computer crap was exceptionally convincing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfiQYRn7fBg&t=16s

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MorDCtBPR8

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

those monitors were running at 24hz to sync with the camera shutters. probably looked like a flickery mess on set lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

akadajet posted:

those monitors were running at 24hz to sync with the camera shutters. probably looked like a flickery mess on set lol

I never thought about that :prepop:

also I really like nedry's quote about networking 8 connection machines and debugging 2 million lines of code for cheap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VAdpb3DPSs

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

bring back the big double-row enter key, i say. It's just so satisfying to slam with your index finger. Oh yeah. And who needs a backslash key that large, anyway? Communists, that's who.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

bring back the big double-row enter key, i say. It's just so satisfying to slam with your index finger. Oh yeah. And who needs a backslash key that large, anyway? Communists, that's who.

Just get a canadian keyboard

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Also I'm phone posting from a third world internet connection and haven't been clicking on video links. So sorry if anyone has already posted this~

https://youtu.be/mSHUIEDBbl4

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

i had an O2 with the casing in perfect condition

in the back of my car when I was rear-ended

and it flew out of the cargo net and shattered

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the 90s (and, declining, the 00s) was the last time there were several competitive microarchitectures and you could buy a "workstation" computer that was in some way special and different from a normal computer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

the 90s (and, declining, the 00s) was the last time there were several competitive microarchitectures and you could buy a "workstation" computer that was in some way special and different from a normal computer

to be fair, workstations still exist. they are just much, much bigger versions of your bog standard pc.

the workstation didn't disappear, just PCs running linux got big and good enough to supplant it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

sigh, Get CRT's from the UK, set your scan to 1/50th of a second DONE.

YVCPOS birch lol get rekt 360 nooocccameraskills

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

how does that work

is there some kind of camera shutter <=> genlock thinger?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how does that work

is there some kind of camera shutter <=> genlock thinger?

yes indeed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

yes indeed

whats it called because i want to google it and sit staring at spec sheets and advertisements for an hour

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Crazy Achmed posted:

welp guess i'm a big fat fuckin' commie now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

whats it called because i want to google it and sit staring at spec sheets and advertisements for an hour

I don't know beyond genlock

but my understanding is that everything on set is synchronized to the same SMPTE timebase for purposes of genlock etc.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to be fair, workstations still exist. they are just much, much bigger versions of your bog standard pc.

which is incredibly lame as hell

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

which is incredibly lame as hell

it's not sexy, no. but the sex appeal was always secondary in workstations.

they only started with all the weird over-engineering because all the vendors had significant pricing power and could pass the costs through

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the "weird over-engineering" was also important for certain workloads

example: being able to support a half gigabyte of RAM at a time that cost tens of thousands of dollars, because some users would actually use it for simulation or whatever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the "weird over-engineering" was also important for certain workloads

example: being able to support a half gigabyte of RAM at a time that cost tens of thousands of dollars, because some users would actually use it for simulation or whatever

yeah that wasn't the weird part. that was the part that was easily commoditized. the vendors didn't compete on supporting half a gig of ram. hp, sun, ibm, sgi, and dec were all happy to respond to that rfp

they competed on fancy case designs. on "multimedia" integrations. on all kinds of weird fuckin software things.

the baseline was set by the same constraints as we face today, but the margin, where the oligopolists competed, was a weird fuckin terrain

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i resurrected the website i made for my brother in 1996
http://cosmicfeelingshotline.com

owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bitch

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXpfdq3WYu4

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

The problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

It was probably slaved to 'black burst' which is the sync method they used at the time. I'm sure it's been supplanted in more modern HD systems but clocking gear will translate it to SMPTE and back and it's a convenient analog video clock. We'd use the black burst to drive our SMPTE clock for ADR and other movie audio stuff.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

muckswirler posted:

It was probably slaved to 'black burst' which is the sync method they used at the time. I'm sure it's been supplanted in more modern HD systems but clocking gear will translate it to SMPTE and back and it's a convenient analog video clock. We'd use the black burst to drive our SMPTE clock for ADR and other movie audio stuff.

Its just an oscillator that puts out clicks at the needed frame rate. They're still used, it's an easy way to make sure that everything is runnign at the same rate and prevent drift between cameras and playback devices

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

those golden ring sliders :wow:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yessssssss

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
That's the sickest Neowin.net theme Ive ever seen.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I used e17 for a while. the animations are sikk

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
post malone: the desktop

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU