Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
does enlightenment still call you a bitch in error messages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

pro clikc zone:

https://www.theverge.com/2013/9/29/4783132/the-amazing-products-of-weird-sony

end of pro click zonee

yospos 2.0 should have an AIBO as it's logo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ha ha ha

YES

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
was that a built in theme? :stare:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Silver Alicorn posted:

was that a built in theme? :stare:

No, its a third party program you install to give you all those themes:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

the guy in the top left corner, blowing a vuvuzela at he own pen0r

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Found this in a drawer the other day, slapped in a AA and jammed to a few Rammstein tracks. Happy to report that both the device and the music have held up.

It's a super weird design too, the memory is in the removable battery compartment for some reason. I think the idea was to buy multiple memory/batter modules and switch them out, but they were way too expensive for that to really be feasible.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 18, 2017

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah os9 was pretty sweet

so many open windows

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

That looks rad as gently caress

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

weren't those three specifically intended to be shipped with Copland? I remember reading about the plans for it and distinctly remember seeing pictures of those themes

this was of course before Copland imploded and apple killed theirselves by not buying beos

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

that ain't kaleidoscope, dawg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

editing kaleidoscope themes was one of my first ui-related things I tried, now it's my job
clam juice still gross

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

that ain't kaleidoscope, dawg

they are kaleidoscope themes though, aren't they? i remember using them with it way back.

RIP old mac megathread. whatever happened to #onebutan?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
those are the original appearance manager themes, if they got ported to kaleidoscope idk

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

they are kaleidoscope themes though, aren't they? i remember using them with it way back.

RIP old mac megathread. whatever happened to #onebutan?

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

:awesome:

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Rock My Socks! posted:

Found this in a drawer the other day, slapped in a AA and jammed to a few Rammstein tracks. Happy to report that both the device and the music have held up.

It's a super weird design too, the memory is in the removable battery compartment for some reason. I think the idea was to buy multiple memory/batter modules and switch them out, but they were way too expensive for that to really be feasible.

KRUDER•DORFMEISTE

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YueDmq-w9X8

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah that thing is a work of art tbqh

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i loved sony pre-1996 when their audio components (at least the es series) were still top notch but man some of their ideas were bonkers

i had a 555es receiver that had this abomination for a remote

thats a resistive touchscreen that was barely legible (tho it had a backlight) and there was a stylus that tucked into the back. it used like 4 aa batteries (or maybe 6? idk)

the step up was the 777es which had this

which had a little joystick to navigate an interface that was just crazy bad

family-owned sony was like pre-1992 daimler mercedes where the engineers ran the show and it was glorious and maddening

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I still have one of the last really good sony receivers from 2000 [db940], I haven't plugged it in in forever but I can't bring myself to get rid of it; thing weighs 45 pounds and can drive five 4Ω speakers with ease I followed it up with a decent es in 2008 but I just ordered a new integra so :rip: the world's only perfectly working hdmi-cec implementation I guess

of course it has a weird stupid remote because sony but I still loved it

I had a friend who had the egg remote, it wasn't great but it did feel pretty futuristic

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qirex posted:

I still have one of the last really good sony receivers from 2000 [db940], I haven't plugged it in in forever but I can't bring myself to get rid of it; thing weighs 45 pounds and can drive five 4Ω speakers with ease I followed it up with a decent es in 2008 but I just ordered a new integra so :rip: the world's only perfectly working hdmi-cec implementation I guess

of course it has a weird stupid remote because sony but I still loved it

I had a friend who had the egg remote, it wasn't great but it did feel pretty futuristic

i had that remote, now post the flip down keypad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

here's the good stuff

my current receiver came with 2 remotes, a big fuckoff one with 100 buttons and one that basically just does volume, input switching and menu access

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

those golden ring sliders :wow:

i remember these

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qirex posted:

here's the good stuff

my current receiver came with 2 remotes, a big fuckoff one with 100 buttons and one that basically just does volume, input switching and menu access

lol "we couldn't decide which way to go on the remote so we just said gently caress it, give 'em both"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also got a chubby on that flip-open remote

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
pimpin my byob effort thread which qualifies imo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834782

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:wow:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pretty good

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LastInLine posted:

family-owned sony was like pre-1992 daimler mercedes where the engineers ran the show and it was glorious and maddening

I always wanted one of their "highlighter" photocopiers from the late 1980s: shaped like a thick highlighter, you drag it over a line of text in a book and a strip of thermal paper comes out with that text

in 1989 or 1990, visiting relatives in Minneapolis, I wandered into some spartan Sony showroom next to the furniture store my family was shopping at and had an amazing time gawking and managed to pilfer one of each of their catalogs

it's my sincere hope to find those catalogs online someday so I can see some of the insane poo poo Sony was doing then again, since after all virtually all of the actual products will have entirely disintegrated by now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

'sup, ES era buddy

got a 5400ES myself, wore out the center button on that remote by programming a succession of Apple TVs to recognize it

rather liked the feel of it, rather dislike the ability to find a replacement

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

pro clikc zone:

https://www.theverge.com/2013/9/29/4783132/the-amazing-products-of-weird-sony

end of pro click zonee

yospos 2.0 should have an AIBO as it's logo

How the hell did that article forget to include this thing?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my older brother had one of those and I was super jealous of him

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

not now though because I have a job where I have to use a computer and he does not.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

I always wanted one of their "highlighter" photocopiers from the late 1980s: shaped like a thick highlighter, you drag it over a line of text in a book and a strip of thermal paper comes out with that text

in 1989 or 1990, visiting relatives in Minneapolis, I wandered into some spartan Sony showroom next to the furniture store my family was shopping at and had an amazing time gawking and managed to pilfer one of each of their catalogs

it's my sincere hope to find those catalogs online someday so I can see some of the insane poo poo Sony was doing then again, since after all virtually all of the actual products will have entirely disintegrated by now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Son...cMAAOSw1YRZog45

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

we're straying out of the 90s now but i just remembered seeing sony's librie ereader in a sony store in a mall many years ago. blew my fuckin' mind, pretty sure that was the first device to use eink. I picked up the thing thinking it was a dummy unit but nope, it was fully functional, the image on the screen was real.

apparently they've discontinued their ereader but they do have this funky digital paper stuff https://www.sony.com/electronics/digital-paper-systems/t/digital-paper-notepad

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
to be fair, e-ink is one of those things that still amaze me to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

we're straying out of the 90s now but i just remembered seeing sony's librie ereader in a sony store in a mall many years ago. blew my fuckin' mind, pretty sure that was the first device to use eink. I picked up the thing thinking it was a dummy unit but nope, it was fully functional, the image on the screen was real.

apparently they've discontinued their ereader but they do have this funky digital paper stuff https://www.sony.com/electronics/digital-paper-systems/t/digital-paper-notepad

quote:

trashDPT-RP1 27/08/2017 by jason13 (USA)
I used S1 for 2 years, it was really good. very thing on S1 is fit to our reading. however, when I use rp1, it is suck! I charge the pen almost one day but used it only 1 hour! pen never work well!!!! the function is so simple! no clock, poor function of turing page!

lol

• Locked thread