Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

r u ready to WALK posted:

Reintroduce the snow white Timb

lol at calling that Snow White

that's Snow White

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

nice

just set up my mono slab again the other night, I got that thing used 20 years ago

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I'm the

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how does that work

is there some kind of camera shutter <=> genlock thinger?

yes indeed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

whats it called because i want to google it and sit staring at spec sheets and advertisements for an hour

I don't know beyond genlock

but my understanding is that everything on set is synchronized to the same SMPTE timebase for purposes of genlock etc.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the "weird over-engineering" was also important for certain workloads

example: being able to support a half gigabyte of RAM at a time that cost tens of thousands of dollars, because some users would actually use it for simulation or whatever

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

family-owned sony was like pre-1992 daimler mercedes where the engineers ran the show and it was glorious and maddening

I always wanted one of their "highlighter" photocopiers from the late 1980s: shaped like a thick highlighter, you drag it over a line of text in a book and a strip of thermal paper comes out with that text

in 1989 or 1990, visiting relatives in Minneapolis, I wandered into some spartan Sony showroom next to the furniture store my family was shopping at and had an amazing time gawking and managed to pilfer one of each of their catalogs

it's my sincere hope to find those catalogs online someday so I can see some of the insane poo poo Sony was doing then again, since after all virtually all of the actual products will have entirely disintegrated by now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

qirex posted:

my current receiver came with 2 remotes, a big fuckoff one with 100 buttons and one that basically just does volume, input switching and menu access

'sup, ES era buddy

got a 5400ES myself, wore out the center button on that remote by programming a succession of Apple TVs to recognize it

rather liked the feel of it, rather dislike the ability to find a replacement

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

oh my god

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

[quote="“atomicthumbs”" post="“476642402”"]
i wonder if you can just scan random poo poo with it and unroll it into a strip because i can think of a lot of art uses for it
[/quote]

probably

it's probably also easy to reverse engineer with a logic analyzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

love how FreePPP is still busy dialing

• Locked thread