Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DinosaurWarfare posted:

How does one get into entry level security type roles? (I.e. Pen testing or forensics)

I'm gearing up for a career transition from a completely unrelated field, and to at least put myself in a position gain entry level work I'm doing all that I can to build a web development-based portfolio of projects. However, I'm going back to school for a network security specific program and I'm hoping I can some how tie it all together.

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I have an Accounting degree, and work in the Accounting department of a (very) large company. However, my boss, all my co-workers, and everyone I know always ask me what I'm doing here instead of IT.

Out of the blue, my boss's boss set up a meeting for me to go chat about IT Security with one of the IT managers. I'm definitely open to making a career change, but what I want to know is, are there sections of Security that are considered dead ends?

In other words, what do I want to look for in an entry-level position, and what do I want to look OUT for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread