Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GideonKalveJarvis
Feb 18, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I know it's probably stupid garbage and I'm a bad person or artist for tracing but I'm doing a Pathfinder thing and I found a guy's art (who has taken all of his art offline like 7 years ago for some reason) and I thought it fit really well, so I traced the whole thing and colored it myself

But still, it took me five hours of work (I gave up on the background lol don't judge me too hard) but people still say it looks good and I feel moderately proud of it

Am I racist for saying the humanified version you did looks better than the original?

Well...your version looks better than the original. In my opinion, of course. The background's "fuzz" effect creates a nice, misty foreboding sense, which creates a good backdrop to the look/feel of the character in question. Speaking of said character, I'm getting a powerful Solomon Kane vibe from him (not the film version, though...well, maybe a little, but I really didn't like that movie). All he needs is a battered Puritan hat to make that particular thought-image complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GideonKalveJarvis
Feb 18, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

I made a mouse!

I am never again making anything with such tiny little claws, drat that was fiddly.

Mousie!!! ^.^

Seriously, though, you did a fantastic job on the tiny little paws. Besides them being adorable (which is beside the point in serious critique), as you noted yourself, hands/paws/delicate appendages of all sorts are objectively hard to make look right. Well, yours look great on this li'l guy, and you deserve praise for the work.

GideonKalveJarvis
Feb 18, 2011

Parrotine posted:

Couldn't get this idea to work so decided to scrap it. Was gonna trash but I also put a lot of time into trying to turn it around so I'll just post it here.

At the very least I learned how to plan things out a bit more from the experience.

Sounds like you've already got a pretty good idea of what went wrong, and how. Still, a little critique - but only a little, since that sort of stuff can sting.

Focusing on the positive, I love the colors: the way they clash and contrast is pretty darn cool, in my opinion. The shading and little fiddly details of each character are also interesting, and make for pleasant eye candy, the crunchy sort.

On the negative side, speaking as a non-artist, I'd say that the main issue I see with the work is that the foreground and background characters look more as though they're on the same more-or-less flat plane. Adding some additional perspective to make the contrast between what's closer to the viewer and what's further away seems to be what's needed in this situation.

GideonKalveJarvis
Feb 18, 2011
Well, since this is a thread to share stuff we made that we're proud of (perhaps in a misguided fashion, but ah well: we do what we can):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6MYxEZbIKFsJfEqla_Q1gyV-rkgSh9Jc

I made a thing!

That's a link to a playlist of a series of Youtube videos I've made, and am making, all about the underlying theory behind roleplaying games, and how to effectively tell stories through them. The first three videos are presently uploaded, but I've got over ten now scheduled to pop up, one per week. Of course, it's strictly amateur hour stuff, as I'm doing everything by myself, and have to learn it all along the way. Still, I hope that what's there is still reasonably all right in quality, and will steadily improve as I get that necessary experience.

And more still to come, though still in the drafting phases presently.

Edit:
And, uh...sorry. I'm sure I've offended folks with what I've already posted. Please forgive my errors: they weren't intentional, and I'll try to avoid them in future.