Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
For any yanks out there there are a few key differences between US sports leagues and football leagues everywhere else.

1. There is no salary cap in the major football leagues and much fewer restrictions on players moving teams, even internationally. So wealthy teams can amass great squads year after year by simply paying the big bucks to good players (in theory).

2. Teams have feeder teams in the form of youth squads, but these will have the same name as the parent team and play in their own youth competitions. This would be the equivalent of high school/college sports in the US, but is much, much, much less popular (basically all popular European sports are professional).

3. Countries with good football pedigrees that aren't as wealthy as European countries (say, Brazil) often "export" a lot of their talent overseas, but this is simply economics - Brazilians teams are not in any way inferior or subordinate to Europe, they just don't have the same amount of cash to attract the best players. This then leads to an effect where Europe compiles the best players, which causes more good players to want to go to Europe to find the best competition etc. Incidentally this is one of the big problems with US soccer, as recently there has been an emphasis on keeping homegrown US talent in the US league, instead of honing US players' skills in Europe against the best competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread