Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

whoever coined 'Opiate and Anthony' is a loving genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Yeah, there's nothing to really attach it to anybody but the O&A fanbase...if it even happened.

DiPaolo just seems pathetic enough to try this stunt since it would be an easy way to gain some momentary fame. And honestly, who cares about this schmuck? The highest profile thing he's had in eons is when he got Artie on his own show and then was tossed off of it because nobody cares about some fat middle-aged loudmouth bitching about his white victimization.

I'm basically a flaming communist and I remember Nick DiPaolo being a funny enough guest on the O&A days. I mean lovely politics but a humorous take on things. I listened to his new show and goddamn it might as well have been on AM radio, it was just unfunny ranting about politics and general Trumpery.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

jerkstoresup posted:

Bennington is good radio and enjoyable while working in the afternoon, but I can't see myself in 2027 going back and listening to old Benningtons, Jim & Sams, Artie & Anthonys or anything else going with these guys right now.

It's exactly this. I listen to Bennington everyday, it's great background fodder while I'm doing something else, but I have no interest in best-ofs like I did with old O&A bits. There aren't really bits, just fairly entertaining chat about bands / movies / current events. It's entertaining yet wholly digestable and forgettable.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I clicked on 5 articles about this incident and am amused that there are zero mentions of Anthony Cumia

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Holy poo poo that was so uncomfortable -- it's worth going 2-3 minutes back so you have a touch of context, but thank you Ron for saying what needed to be said. At least Anthony is still sort of funny, that guy on his show was just a smarmy Nazi gently caress. With a poo poo-eating grin because he was so excited to be triggering libs

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I thought something had happened, but I didn't expect racists to be going after Ron Bennington like they possibly even could.

I might take a bit before watching that. I really want Ant not to do this poo poo. gently caress, even Jimmy knew how to change the situation into something more lighthearted.

That was Ron's point, he was talking to Ant like a guy at an AA meeting. Just saying, 'we still love you, I hope you get better someday, you were a funny motherfucker'. It's not like Ron is super politically correct or anything, he just wants whatever broke Ant's brain and made him unfunny with Obama getting elected to go away.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Hope I get to see Vikings super bowl before 68 or so cause it’s going to be a struggle to make it to 90

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

To this day "Foghorn Cakehorn" still does it for me

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

My problem with Sam is that he's very consciously trying to swing his dick around and be the big man in the room ala Howard Stern, Ron Bennington or Anthony in his prime, but because he's been around since an intern it just rings false to me as a long time listener. It's not that he's even that bad at it (I mean he's nowhere the talent of the guys I listed above), but I just can't take it seriously.

To me he's the classic case of the guy at your company who worked his way up from scrub employee to upper-middle management -- he has the title but only new people respect his authority because those have been around for a while know what a little poo poo that dude used to be.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Good riddance, at least Anthony was funny

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

T Bowl posted:

See, the thing is, both sides like to poo poo on moderates but what the gently caress is wrong with being middle of the road? (i'm not at all myself, but I get seeing both sides and not being a wing nut.)

Funnily whenever Jim Norton tries to play middle of the road see-both-sides guy he’s invariably spouting right wing talking points.

On rare occasion a right winger will go so far as to rape or threaten a child and he’ll go “welp yeah you can’t do that” and proudly act like he’s an average dude since he took the ‘liberal’ side in opposing a child rapist.

There was an amazing episode a year or so ago where he was on one of his tangents about private media companies firing people or dropping advertisers being unamerican censorship. Then a listener cornered him asking what he would do if someone like his agent spouted stuff like Anthony and started costing him gigs and business. He sort of begrudgingly got the point for a minute before abruptly changing the subject.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

bunky posted:

Also Guy Fieri does the intro

Of COURSE he loving does

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

bunky posted:

Is that a thing from Opie's afternoon show or something? I didn't listen.

I just assumed that’s what we were talking about hah, I didn’t even click through. Guy Fieri just seems like a guy Opie would get star struck by.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I'm still not sure why its relevant to this thread. If forums user "Chip Chipperson" gets banned for shitposting in Games is it worth retelling the saga here?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

JB50 posted:

I know Bennington can be funny and Ive seen him do, but on his sirius/xm show it really doesnt happen. To be fair I only listened to one show but there was barely any trace of humor, I dont get it.

It’s actually a good rear end show when you’re high and cleaning the house. It’s not so much rolling on the floor funny as ‘let’s debate the top rock frontmen of all time (again)’, or an hour on weird pizza toppings.

It’s the GBS of the radio world, but done by talented people. In that it’s mostly the same tired conversations we’ve all had a million times, but every once in a while they strike comedy gold.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 2, 2018

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I don't really listen to country music in the first place, but I can't take Dierks Bentley seriously to this day because of this bit, it was my first exposure to him.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Jim & Sam generated no new memorable side characters... like I've been listening to this show multiple times a week since they launched it, and I don't think I could tell you the difference between a Shitloaf, or D-Bag, or Hot Dog, or Troy. I don't even know if they are all on the show still. I think Troy is supposed to be like 'in a band' cool and one of them is a compulsive gambler (Anthony?). None of these guys produces even a Dennis Falcone or Roland level sense of character, and they are too ambiguous to just be a stand-in for easy jokes like E-Rock == fat.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Norm MacDonald is (was?) pretty funny. He has lovely politics right?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

It is a shame. He's superbly quick and has a wealth of references and imitations at hand that he's absolutely excellent at and he has a lightning fast wit. But he's a piece of poo poo pedo racist rear end in a top hat and that wrecks all of it. With his talent he could be something legitimately good but instead he decides to willingly waste it on hitting on 14 year-old girls and being ignorant to the level of a backwoods-white trash rear end in a top hat. It sucks.

Opie is just plain unfunny and his only talent is to run a serious radio show but instead he is under the illusion that he's funny and "gets" comedy and can handle a show with funny people. That is, up until his insecurities kick in and he cuts everyone off because he can't be as funny as everyone else is, and no one can be as quick and funny as lil' Opie is.

Jimmy is a sexually dysfunctional creep who can't handle seeing himself in others yet projects his dysfunctions onto others because that's all he understands. He knows what it is and it baffles him that anyone can be something he's not. He's half self-aware in that respect. He knows he's a loser but at the same time thinks he knows more about it than anyone else does and refuses to accept anything that might make him change because it doesn't fit in his view of himself.

The two out of three have enormous potential to be funny people but they throw it away because they're idiots stuck in their ways. The last one is just an unfunny, narcissistic rear end who sees every adversity as a personal affront because of their inflated ego.

So what I'm saying is, listen to the old shows and enjoy them, because it's all downhill from here.

Jimmy is mostly funny, he just lacks critical thinking skills.

My favorite recent Jimmy moment was when he was on one of his many, many speeches about how "people shouldn't be fired for what they say" as if it was government censorship. I don't remember which celebrity it was that time or how justified their firing was, it doesn't matter. Then a caller called in and asked him point blank if his agent started posting racist poo poo on Twitter and then clubs wouldn't book him, if he'd fire the agent. He stammered for a minute, quietly conceded the point, and immediately changed the subject.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

a bitchin jetski posted:

The Opster wins in the end. He is the only one left that is even vaguely normal.

Ant's gone nuts and Jimmy is just a wormy piece of poo poo with no real opinions who is probably not going to be on Sirius after October.

How many making GBS threads on the beach jokes are in the replies?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Your Parents posted:

Jimmy's going to go on the compound and you'll find out that his opinions are the same as ants.

I've spent enough days of my life listening to these men to know that Anthony feels this way out of ideology (and sheer racism/spite), while Jimmy only feels this way because he wants to fit in with his peers. If John Stewart and Lewis Black called him up and said "hey come be a founding part of Daily Show 2.0" he'd be a flaming liberal so fast it would make your head spin.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Now I'm generally curious what Sirius pays a radio host who isn't otherwise some celebrity (so not like Oprah or Pitbull or Eminem), and also isn't Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh levels of radio-popular. Like what kind of money does a Sam Roberts or a Ron Bennington make? How bad does it get in NYC if you have even less audience and just some time filler show on their platform?

I remember on Weird Medicine that Dr. Steve made it sound like they were paying him something stupid like $100 a show that doesn't even make sense for my salary let alone a medical doctor's. But he's there as a fanboy/hobby.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Is 'Sue' a reference to something? Or just how they convinced the guy to do it?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Cory Lidle posted:

I think Ron refuses to give up on people if he feels there's still the good in them somewhere. I mean, christ, how long did he let Fez stick around?

I think it’s the 12-step/AA mindset — you have to be there for the most loathsome and selfish people because somewhere 20 years ago there was someone there for you when you hit rock bottom.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

It’s funny how rose tinted glasses this thread is about Patrice now. Because I remember, especially when he sat in almost full time when Jim was out, that everyone hated how he laughed so loud, barreled over all conversation, etc.

Those people were wrong then and remain wrong now.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

BrandonGK posted:

I'll never get over the fact that in a span of five years Ant went from entertaining Daniel Craig in his own home to hosting a glorified Youtube show where some serial killer looking motherfucker who writers black on white domination erotica for a living is considered a "get."

Donald J Trump is the President of the United States.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

He's also the only one that doesn't have a crippling addiction. That probably goes a long way for having gently caress you money at 50

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Barrabas the Gray posted:

Chris Stanley is leaving Bennington?

No idea if this is true, but this seems like a bad idea if his public persona is anything less than 99% a work. He won't survive 30 days in a normal workplace.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

JB50 posted:

Joe Rogan never challenges his guests on anything.

What if he had a guest who shittalked shrooms

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

T Bowl posted:

Joe loves shiitake mushrooms.

ah booo

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Sam looks like Moe from the Simpsons made flesh and having walked into a plate glass window

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Sam permanently looks like the face Edgar’s wife from Men in Black make while he pulls back his skin suit

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Sam looks like like the guy from the “so, isn’t this great” Wisk commercial’s mugshot if he got arrested for soliciting sex in a men’s room in 2004.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

zapplez posted:

Sam Roberts is the target audience for Funko Pop collectible figurines.

Is that Sam's father in your av?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Can't you just rub the cocaine into your gums

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

T Bowl posted:

Yeah but that's like less than half as effective and that poo poo is expensive. So if you're going to be blowing thousands on it, you gotta get your money's worth out of it.

Yeah for you and I, not Mr. MADtv money

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

God damnit, Anthony was so funny before Obama & Fox News broke his brain

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I hope there is a reckoning some day where Sam's involvement with Roger Stone somehow jails or ruins them all.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

katatonic posted:

Jesus Christ I didn’t even recognize Bobby Kelly

Has he not always looked like King Kong Bundy??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

T Bowl posted:

It's just ok. Listenable and still better than Jim and Sam, but not even close to what was available on the channel 5-10 years ago.

10 years ago was still after Obama broke Anthony's brain. You have to go back farther than that to find the funny.