Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I just finished the world 1 minoboss, jeez what a bloody battle. The boss should've put Mario down but went for rabbid peach instead, thankfully.

That battle straight up handed me my first non-perfect. That was the first time I realized that the option to go Easy Mode wasn't just for show.

Right now, my current Team is Mario, Rabbid Luigi, and Luigi, simply because Luigi is my favorite and I like how... wizardly... Rabbid Luigi feels.

Also, some of my thoughts in regards to my team:

Mario seems somewhat slow, but he's got high HP and good attack which makes him a durable attacker and makes it less likely to lose him due to smaller mistakes.

Rabbid Luigi right now has undisputed battlefield control where he inflicts status effects on foes and can let allies pseudo-heal through the Vampire affliction by trading in some damage potential on his primary. He's kinda like a mage with all their various effects at his beck and call.

Luigi is probably one of the more extreme specializers in this game: extremely high offense with both his primary and secondary weapon with his primary sporting superior range and his secondary being useful for decoy purposes as well as relatively close-range AoE damage (and some sneaky higher-range AoE damage if there's pipes nearby). Both sport superior chances of critting an enemy compared to Mario's weapons too and Ink is an extremely good effect too because denying an enemy's attack is extremely cool and good. Also, he seems to have the best mobility of the three when upgraded which should be good for positioning him where you want to. This is all balanced out by him having the lowest HP by far out of all the characters I've seen, meaning he's best kept out of range from as many enemies as possible. Either way, despite that weakness, I can't help but think of him as rather broken in a good way.

Also, recently got Rabbid Mario. From what I've heard, he sounds like he's super-offensive like Luigi but at close range instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Jut beat the third boss. My, oh my... :allears:

Great Mighty Boo and his song is the best thing! He's also the most enjoyable of the bosses so far to fight against.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah I did this accidentally but that's gotta be a bug, right? Or does hitting the button once and not standing on it not matter?

I felt like I cheesed the hell out of it because the thing just sat there, never able to get close enough to his "hitbox" to actually detonate
I believe you only need to hit the button once so that you get rid of his stack of Bananas.

Even better, phase 2 and 3 where Rabbid Kong goes somewhere else and you have to get rid of the Bananas the sentry will actually start moving to his new position, so it's possible for that one sentry to be all you need to get rid of his Bananas for the entire battle.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

So... are we all in agreement that this is how the status effects range from best to worst?

Stone and/or Vampiric > Ink > Honey > Bounce/Push > Fire and/or Freeze

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dizz posted:

The good effects are bounce, ink, and stone, but some weapons dont get those effects.

I'm rather partial to Stone and Vampiric as the best effects, with Ink being solid third best (as disabling an enemy's standard attack options is incredibly powerful). While Honey can't activate Overwatches like Bounce can, I find it's effect of disabling movement more useful than potentially adding some extra damage by bouncing/pushing enemies out of bound if I'm lucky and the enemy's positioned right. I personally think Bounce is better than Push, though both kinda do the same thing in the end, are both rather situational effects, and I think the enemy makes better use of them than you do. That said, I find both better in the hands of the player than the Fire and Freeze effects which are both extremely situational and considerably more useful in the hands of the enemy, though I'm unsure which of those is actually the worst status effect in the game.

If I remember right:

Mario: Bounce and Honey
Rabbid Peach: Honey and Push
Rabbid Luigi: Fire, Push, Stone, and Vampiric
Luigi: Ink and Bounce
Rabbid Mario: Stone and Vampiric
Peach: Fire and Freeze
Rabbid Yoshi: Push and Stone
Yoshi: Unsure about his effects

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zore posted:

Yoshi gets Freeze and Ink.

So essentially, Rabbid Luigi, Luigi, Rabbid Mario, Rabbid Yoshi, and Yoshi won big-time in terms of status effects since they all got one or two of the three greats. Mario and Rabbid Peach also get relatively useful effects. Peach is the big loser here with only Fire and Freeze for her status effects, the two worst ones.

Of course, in Peach's case, she isn't really supposed to be a hyper-offensive character as much as she is supposed to be the one drawing and taking damage from other characters since she has the highest HP in the game, a way to heal for minor damage, and an ability that let's the others transfer some of their damage taken to her. Thus, she also paradoxically cares the least about what her status effects are because you're not using her for those effects anyway.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Luigi is actually bad and very map dependent. He's a glass cannon and if you have to deal with either multiple fights in the chapter or close quarter maps and you don't get to keep control/overpower the enemy right away, he's going to get killed. He's mostly useless against the beach ghost stages of world 3.

On big maps he's great, though.

He works better on big maps, but he's still extremely good on smaller ones because he has some of the best mobility (Double Jump + one of the highest upgradable movement zone in the game), an extremely good weapon/combo set (long-range high-damaging primary, high-damaging secondary that can also act as a decoy), has one of the big three status effects (Ink), and has a far-reaching Overwatch due to his primary weapon being long-range with a rather low cooldown and with multiple hits to it, and an ability that helps himself and others with mobility (notably, I've used it at times to actually get Mario into good positions or to get to advantageous positions that are juuuuuust out of his reach). So not only is he a glass cannon, but he can position himself extremely well, maybe help others do the same as well. He's probably one of the "big three" in this game that fit absurdly well on many teams and on many maps (along with Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Mario) and part of that is because he's min-maxed to the extreme and does his role incredibly well.

Though in general, I find even the worst characters in this game to be good (and at the very least useful). It's just that the best of them are the least useless to take along with you.

EDIT:

Oh. My. GOD! This being in the game would have made it GOAT! :magical:

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 21, 2017

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Y'know. Of all the playable characters, I think Luigi and the Rabbid versions of Mario and Luigi are the best characters in the game. Their advantages are extreely good and works well in a lot of situations, their weaknesses can be made into a non-issue if you know what you're doing, they get access to at least one of the big three status effects, and their primary/secondary weapon combinations work out extremely well for them in their given roles, and of course their skills syenergize well with both their own abilities and the abilities of others.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I definitely feel like The Rabbid Bros fit good niches and are solid choices. Peach is fantastic in her way and her counterpart, whose damage has tempered off in my game is fine.

I just got R. Yoshi and he's bad? Seriously I can't figure out what to do with him that's of any use to anyone except perhaps making smashers a non-issue. Also that weapon seems wildly weak. I hope Yoshi proves more interesting/better.

I think Peach might be one of the worst characters myself, though I should note that "worst" in this case simply means "is great/awesome in a couple situations/teams/maps, otherwise is just good".

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4HrRK6gg0

Donkey Kong makes his playable debut in Mario + Rabbids as a DLC character, and gets a story focused on him.

Besides that, the new enemy models, the new setting for his story which is a jungle (of course), and the fact that he uses a bananarang, we know literally nothing about what'll be in his DLC pack.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

^burtle posted:

Price point vs content is going to be the decider for me, which I guess is true for most DLC. I wonder if we'll get a full blown act with mini and major boss, or just a few levels.

I think it's gonna be a whole new world, but I don't know.

Now, Donkey Kong will be interesting: I kinda hope both his primary and secondary weapons are different from all the other characters so far, but that does make me wonder how good he'll be overall. As it is, he could easily be better than the Yoshis.

Also, I finally completed the game's story. I just need to get Gold Trophies on two levels and do Ultimate Challenge nr. 4 and then I've done everything the base game has to offer.

Also, Luigi's ultimate weapon is great, probably one of the best ones. Being able to round him out with Ink on both weapons or Ink on his primary (since his ultimate weapon is for his primary weapon type) and Bounce on his secondary is great. (Unlocked for purchase by completing Ultimate Challenge 2.)

Also very happy with Rabbid Mario's ultimate weapon. I prefer Vampire on his primary since it's a ranged AoE, so his ultimate weapon let's me pair it up with the best Stone Hammer for good effect. (Unlocked for purchase by completing Ultimate Challenge 3.)

Mario's ultimate weapon is also good in my book. Since his ultimate weapon isn't his primary weapon, I'm really happy that this Hammer comes with the Bounce status as Bounce is unquestionably better on a melee range weapon than Honey is, despite me preferring the latter. (Unlocked for purchase by completing Ultimate Challenge 1.)

Peach's ultimate weapon is a Grenade which kinda blows. But it's effect isn't Burn which makes me happy. (Unlocked for purchase by completing Ultimate Challenge 3.)

Rabbid Peach gets one of the better ultimate weapons. It's a secondary weapon, like Mario and Peach, but since her secondary weapon is probably the best of any of the secondaries (with Hammer as the second best), this works out great. Even better is that she has Push and not Burn on it, which is her best status effect by far (because Fire sucks and is made redundant with Push). (Unlocked for purchase by completing Ultimate Challenge 2.)

Rabbid Luigi's ultimate weapon is my only true disappointment so far. While rocket launchers are decent, the effect is Burn which is inferior to Push (the only other status effect Rabbid Luigi can cause with his rocket launchers). I suppose it could work if I snipe at enemies from far away which, granted, is more than possible with the rocket launcher, but it's still rather disappointing, and it's why I still keep the rocket launcher which can cause Push and has only slightly less damage than this one. (Unlocked for purchase by completing Ultimate Challenge 1.)

EDIT: Just got the last two Gold Trophies and completed Ultimate Challenge 4 (with Mario, Rabbid Mario, and Luigi) so now I've finally 100%ed everything in the base game. As expected, the ultimate weapons for the Yoshis are gotten from Ultimate Challenge 4.

Rabbid Yoshi's ultimate weapon is of his primary weapon type: the Rumblebang. The Rumblebang is probably my least favorite primary weapon, but this one does have Stone and an increased chance to inflict it compared to other Rumblebang weapons (40%) in addition to the usual 10% increase in damage against Midbosses so it's a good weapon for him.

Yoshi's ultimate weapon is a rocket launcher, like Rabbid Luigi, which is decent. Unfortunately, it has Freeze instead of Ink as it's status effect, which makes me sad. I think I'll be using his Gold secondary instead.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 14, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

Those floating vine plants DK was swinging on looked and sounded pretty distinct. I'm thinking the DLC is gonna have new movement options like the pipes.

It's the DK 64 helicopter vines. It'd be fun if they were a new movement option.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I think Rabbid Luigi is honestly the best character in the game. I had him solo the final part of Ultimate Challenge 2 (when the Bwaaah Trio and the Midbosses appeared) thanks to his Vamp Dash and Stone-inflicting Bworb (Mario and Luigi had died by then).

Rabbid Mario and Luigi come in shared second place. And after those two, it's Mario.

Like, I'd probably rank them like this:

1. Rabbid Luigi
2-3. Luigi & Rabbid Mario
4. Mario
5. Rabbid Peach
6. Peach
7. Yoshi
8. Rabbid Yoshi

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

I just played through the game a second time and it was hard to try other teams when Rabbid Luigi + Rabbid Mario works so well. There's so many levels where you can kill almost every enemy on the first turn and it doesn't matter how much damage you take for being aggressive because Rabbid Luigi lets you heal fully the next turn.

My team of choice tends to be Mario/Rabbid Luigi/Luigi. The thought of being able to position your team almost anywhere you want them to be and get anyone from everywhere is just so appealing to me.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I used Mario, and any two of rMario, rLuigi, and Luigi through the entire back half of the game.

rLuigi is the best healer in the game. Give him a vamp weapon and he can snipe people with vamp status from almost anywhere; he's only outranged by Luigi. If they're close you just vamp dash. Either way, this means that any other high-damage character is going to heal to full (or nearly so) after every attack. His damage is poo poo compared to the other three on this list, though, so sometimes you just don't bring him.

rMario is the best crowd control in the game. Run him into the middle of a group, use his taunt to bring everyone close, then it's hammer or shotgun time. As long as you don't leave him to eat more than about 3 shots, or 2 smashes, he'll survive. Then see rLuigi's entry above. Assuming everything isn't just dead, which it might be. It *will* be dead if you triggered Mario's M-Power first. Honestly, I rarely put rMario into cover against groups. There's no point. Someone's going to flank him anyway. His best defense is a good offense.

Luigi is a monster with the best single-target damage in the game. Use his crazy mobility to get him onto high ground, one-shot something, then turn on overwatch. He's going to kill *at least* one or two more things in the movement phase. The only trick is that, by the last half of World 4, he dies in one hit to smashers every time, sometimes dies in one hit to valks, and two hits of anything else. You have to keep him somewhere the enemy cannot reach him, and that means turning all his movement options up to 11, and THEN focus on damage boosts. Both high ground damage and overwatch stuff are worth every point, but only if you can keep him alive.

Mario is your generalist. He's above average support, damage, everything. You should be using his specials every single turn they're available. M-Powering rMario or Luigi on turn 1 all but guarantees most of the enemies who could possibly attack you are dead. But make sure you keep him safe unless you brought rLuigi. It really sucks when Marios survives a map with like 3hp, but there's still another level before the full heal.

Yeah, by the time you start tackling the endgame, having two of either of the Rabbid Bros. or Luigi accompany Mario to fill the whole team is probably the best thing because their abilities and what they can bring to the team is just a good deal above the rest, and that goes all the way to postgame too where their kit in just about any combination should be enough to tackle any challenge thrown at you.

(Incidentally, you can get a maximum of 1500 orbs once you finally enter into the postgame. Those orbs were put to good use.)

Also, incidentally, by the end of World 3, your characters should be strong enough to deal with every Challenge that lies in the three completed worlds. That should net you a ton of orbs to let you get flexible with your builds in the final world.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

loving hell the difficulty of this game spikes abruptly at challenge 1-9. I've tried this five times at least aND these thunder slammers are killing my entire party. This game suddenly feels more like Fire Emblem than XCOM and I'm enjoying it far less. Too much restarting and figuring out the intended solution to each encounter (Fire Emblem) isn't nearly as fun as making things work on the fly (XCOM). I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.

ConfusedUs posted:

The challenges are both optional and puzzles; it's likely you need to re-spec, try a new tactic, or even an entirely new set of characters. There's more than one that's only solvable via Luigi's double jump, for example.

On 1-9 I used Mario, Luigi, Rabbid Luigi. M-Power the group turn one, vamp dash as many as possible with RLuigi (probably worth re-speccing for movement), get Luigi up high, make sure baddies can't get to him, get as many enemies to X health where X <= however much damage Luigi does with overwatch, shoot with Luigi last and turn on overwatch, watch as he kills like 3 dudes in one turn because Luigi is a stone cold killer.

Edit: Also RLuigi's area damage thing is really good if you can wrangle them close to each other. And also don't forget the smashers can hurt each other!

And if you're still struggling, you could always just come back later with more powerful peeps and guns and cheese it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I probably made the game a bit easier than intended because I kept insisting on going back after finishing a world and 100%ing it as much as I could which resulted in a ton of orbs for my skill tree and a ton of gold to buy the best weapons I could.

For the big guys don't underestimate the power of sliding. That's why rabbid luigi is so powerful in general, his vampire slide is really good against those dudes especially

Rabbid Luigi really appreciates having a decent slide in general (both damage-wise, and Vamp-wise) because he has the highest Dash Damage potential of the cast and his weapons do low damage otherwise.

Like, here's my postgame build for Rabbid Luigi when all 1500 Orbs are obtained:

His Movement tree, alongside his ground mobility, are maxed out to give Rabbid Luigi the highest damage and Vamp recovery he can get when dashing and to allow for the maximum range for getting enemies with the Vamp Dash and get to a good position afterwards for his weapons or for his Weaken Technique. His Technique Tree is also maxed out because being able to apply a 70% penalty to the enemies' weapon damage one turn, then being able to take 60% less (weapon) damage AND be immune to Super Effects the turn after grants him amazing survivability, even with his low HP, and this is substantially better than upgrading his HP. This makes Rabbid Luigi very effective at denying damage and control the pace of the battlefield, and it let's him position himself mostly anywhere he wants, cover or no cover, because chances are he's not getting killed at the enemy turn, and can then heal whatever they dealt with his Vamp Dash. No orbs are put into his Attack Tree skills (besides the orbs needed to get the Rocket) as Golden Shot is among the lowest priority skills in postgame and Rabbid Luigi is seldom in a position where he can take advantage of high ground, unlike most of the others.

If there were more orbs, I'd probably prioritize maxing his health. Rabbid Luigi very seldom benefits from the damage bonus you get when shooting at enemies from high terrain.

• Locked thread