Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Mario gets a gun, finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I just hope it's not a 6-8 hour game at this point, I'm all aboard the Mario Xcom train. Would be nice if it kept me busy until Destiny 2 release.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

One more week until we are missing 94% shots with our mario guns.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I think I'm ok with DLC as long as the story part is significant. I'm certainly not going to day 1 purchase the DLC like I did for BotW though.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Does anyone know if there's a chest tied behind the challenges? I'm missing one chest in the first world and looked all over.

Game is amazing.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

100% complete world 1 and 2, game still good :toot:

Argue posted:

I read an article that said something to the effect of money being finite. (okay, more precisely, it said to spend money wisely because "you won't be able to buy everything") How accurate is this?

I'm pretty sure it's not finite, coins respawn when you revisit worlds and I'm pretty sure you could redo challenges/missions for coins. You don't really need to buy everything though, I just buy when there's a damage upgrade usually. The game isn't difficult enough that you need to switch between weapons that give bonuses for targeting specific enemies.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 31, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

the panacea posted:

Just coming in to say this game owns. Just made it to 2-1 last night and can't wait to play more.
Can I go and do the unlocked challenges right away or do I need "endgame" gear or something?

The challenges feel tuned in a way that I think they are meant to be done after you complete the world, coming back later when you have stronger weapons and more skills would trivialize some of them, for better or worse.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m missing 2 collectible chests in world 1 and I have no idea where they could be.

One of them is almost certainly the dock with the 3 movable blocks, you have to position them in a certain way... that I never figured out, didn't make sense to me and had to watch a video.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dizz posted:

I seem to be able to get the highest primary and secondary on each character and I'm still sitting at like 7k in world 3.

Yea I've got like 5-6k going into world 3 as well. I feel like people are trying to buy all the weapons and/or doing zero challenges.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

It's been brought up before, but I'm really impressed at how viable all of the characters there are. I don't really feel like there is a best group and having trouble identifying the worst character. I personally use Luigi and Rabbid Peach, mostly because I find having 2x of that type of secondary weapon is extremely useful. Also maxed out Stare + Mario's overwatch is pretty awesome. Using it offensively against the big guys is pretty helpful, using Stare first and then firing at the guys who charge you messes them up.

When I watch streams I see new strategies all the time that I didn't even think of using all sorts of characters. I've 100% the first three worlds, think I'm going to do the co-op missions alone next before moving on to world 4.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

well why not posted:

I'm super, super bad at this game. 2-2 was basically a suicide op for me. Kinda hoping that it's one of those games that actually ends up getting easier as you play, because drat I am not doing well.

I'm just guessing, but I would think anyone having trouble hasn't got the movement down yet. You need to be dashing into and jumping on everything every turn you can. So ideally for example with Mario, you dash into an enemy and use a teammate to jump onto another enemy and put yourself in position to either have a shot on another enemy and/or position yourself behind good cover. That process is going to vary from character to character, like Rabbid Peach can dash up to 4x enemies.

When you get the movement down you can do some really crazy stuff.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I've been doing everything 100%, got the first 3 worlds down and starting on world 4 tonight. Luigi is finally starting to show his weaknesses. Even with max life upgrades he can't take more than two hits from regular enemies. Had to switch him out with characters with more health to get the perfects.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Theta Zero posted:

Really? Luigi has been holding up for me, but he's map-dependent. I team jump him up to high ground with max height damage bonus and keep him on steely stare. Otherwise I make him hang back behind full cover. He's got a super long range so he can hang pretty far back.

Map dependent is probably a better way to describe it. I've pretty much been using him exclusively until world 4 where I've had to swap him out a few times.

Also I did it guys... I missed a 90% chance to crit.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If I overwatch with Yoshi and Mario on the first turn of the final boss it keeps crashing my game :smith:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Finished the story last night, I'm really glad people weren't turds with not using spoiler tags in the thread because there are some great things that happen.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Macaluso posted:

These teleporting ghosts are brutal AF

I appreciate they put in some enemies to combat the overwatch cheese. I also appreciate the AI is smart enough to shoot first before moving.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dizz posted:

Lmao holy poo poo how the gently caress are you meant to beat The final battle in 7 turns for a perfect??? I thought I did swell with 12 turns.

I haven't done it yet myself, but it almost certainly is going to involve ignoring all of the other enemies. Also, I'm pretty sure once you beat that encounter you get weapons that are a giant upgrade available to purchase.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If BotW didn't come out this year, this game would be my GOTY. Still have about 12 co-op challenges to do.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dizz posted:

Is there anything the Co-Op challenges give? I got 100% everything, doing ultimate challenges later, and also plan on getting all perfects on story missions for the hell of it.

but doing co-op challenges alone just seems pitiful

Not that I know of, except the hard mode co-op challenges have the potential to be as difficult as the ultimate challenges. Also playing with 4 characters and the size of the levels are a lot bigger, so it changes the game up a bit. I'm doing it myself and it's pretty annoying using switching back and forth to a joycon.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

As I suspected, the co-op hard challenges can be pretty tough, some tougher than the ultimate challenges in my opinion. Only have one left to do, the 4th hard mode of Spooky Trails. Anyone done it by any chance? Curious to know what strategy was used.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

I've had to drive myself off the Luigi/Rabbid Mario combo, it's so good and versatile but I've hardly touched Peach and I don't think I've played with Rabbid Peach since World 1

Peach's overwatch has ruined at least 5 of my hard mode challenges, some enemy takes a weird rear end path through tubes and triggers the overwatch on my team :argh:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Finally beat the last hard mode co-op challenge I was stuck on, 100% everything :woop:

I don't know if I'm impressed or annoyed with the difficulty of the 4th hard mode challenge in Spooky Trails co-op. I'll spoiler it just in case, don't want to spoil what I would consider the toughest challenge in the game.

So, the challenge is to beat the coffin midboss. Every other hard mode challenge like this was the easiest, except this one starts with almost 4k life and has 4 of those enemies that heal and they are all within an enclosed space, no pipes leading in or out. Since it's an enclosed space, you'll only ever be able to get 3 characters inside to be able to dash attack things.

My first strat is to try to just burn him down like I did with all the other midbosses. Just 1x of the healing enemies were healing him for 1900hp a turn so burning him down wasn't happening.

Next strat I try is to be an efficient killing machine, killing anything and everything on the board. I switched to Princess/Rluigi/RYoshi/Yoshi so everyone has a secondary AOE weapon that can hopefully take care of all of the healers when I'm ready to strike. I tried this strategy several times, it appeared to work at the start but eventually the game spawned 2x healers next to the midboss EVERY ROUND... making it impossible once again to out damage their 1900hp heals. It's possible with luck, this strategy could have eventually worked but obviously not how they intended you to beat the challenge.

At this point I'm thinking there might be a set amount of rounds before the healers start spawning every round, so I go straight for the middle where the boss/healers are and ignore everything else in attempts to get a kill before they start spawning. Soon I learn, there's even a hint for it on the stage description, that the corners of the area inside where the boss is located are safe from everything outside of the enclosed area. On top of that.... there appears to be an on screen enemy limit. So by ignoring the enemies outside of the enclosed area, this appears to be keeping the healers from ever spawning.

You still aren't completely safe, because the boss can crit you and put you back into the line of fire of the enemies on the outside. With no healers spawning, you could technically beat the boss with just RLuigi if you got lucky with the boss not critting you. ( I almost did this and died the turn before I would kill him. ) With all that figured out, I finally ended up with a situation where I had Peach and Yoshi inside with the midboss and beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I want Mario + Rabbids 2.

:same:

• Locked thread