Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Dang I'm about to get busy I gotta start recording these things faster.

Also I realized that one liners are hard when you're trying not to use "IN HELL".

Project Omega
Scene 2/Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Those guards are absurdly fast on the trigger, that one guy turned and fired a burst at you before you had time to realise you'd missed! It must be all the coffee.

And that thing you're doing with the welder? I'm pretty sure that's war crimes.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"Hello agents, today we're gonna *rrrRRRRRRNNNNrrrNNNRNNrnrnRNRNNRrnNRNRRRRRNNNNNNRRRRRRRRNRNNNNNnrnrnrnnrrrnnnnnnnn"

(the audio ducking is a bit off at the beginning and all I can hear is snowmobile)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whatever NOLF2 may have lost in its dialogue writing (ambient or otherwise) is at least made up in part by the intel item writing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm sure that guard dialogue will pick up once we get in out of the snow and start sneaking up on dudes on concrete again.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The dynamic music was kind of freaking out after the power station was blown up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Scruffy hasn't shown it off yet, but one thing you can do in a stealthy run is to unscrew lightbulbs so that guards can't turn them on and reveal you. Extremely handy at times.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Scruffy hasn't shown it off yet, but one thing you can do in a stealthy run is to unscrew lightbulbs so that guards can't turn them on and reveal you. Extremely handy at times.

But then they'll have to fill out Lightbulb Requisition Form 2053-B, multiple times! You monster.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Not only that, they won't even be able to present the burnt-out lightbulb for inspection! Do you want these men to be mercilessly shot just for doing their oh wait.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I looked up some pictures of Lake Baikal.

It's also just as beautiful in the winter!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
We finally infiltrate the installation and begin to get a feel for the horrors of Soviet filing duty.

A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way
Scene 1/Polsy

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- When I first played this mission it took a little while for me to realize that the guards would never stop coming. I get the idea, it's to encourage stealth and sneaking to avoid detection instead of KILL EVERYONE to avoid detection, but it's kinda a pain and the guards being smarter and seeing footprints doesn't help. This might be a case for using tracking ammo. Too bad you can't carry all that much of it.
- Open doors are a thing which makes guards suspicious in this game too, so it's advisable to remember to close them.
- The first couple of missions are not the game's best, I'll say that.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

IIRC, you can weld the hinges off the door at the very beginning to get through it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Can I request that you stop turning off all the lights? It makes the videos a lot harder to watch. :( I get the whole "I want to not be seen" thing, but it seems like the game is trying to encourage you to not be seen by actually staying out of sight, rather than by turning all the lights off.

(edit: I don't mean never turn the lights off, but doing it every time you go indoors gets a little old)

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 25, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Can I request that you stop turning off all the lights? It makes the videos a lot harder to watch. :( I get the whole "I want to not be seen" thing, but it seems like the game is trying to encourage you to not be seen by actually staying out of sight, rather than by turning all the lights off.

(edit: I don't mean never turn the lights off, but doing it every time you go indoors gets a little old)

Or he could turn the gamma up in the game or you could turn the brightness up on your monitor. I have no problems seeing, it's not that dark at all. Better one of those other options than he makes it even harder to stealth.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The main reason to turn off the lights is that the guards are apparently genetically predisposed to running over to turn them on, making them easy targets. I think scruffy got 3 of them in the same light switch early in the video

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I don't know if it was in one of the videos and I missed it, or we haven't seen it yet, but what do the Soviet guards do to disappear the bodies of their dead comrades?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

I don't know if it was in one of the videos and I missed it, or we haven't seen it yet, but what do the Soviet guards do to disappear the bodies of their dead comrades?
Body removal. Someone must have leaked the recipe from the first game.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It probably makes it much easier to get new recruits if you start by only saying "We have high turnover" and ease them into it gently, like reveal it after a week or two casually "Hey here's some body removal powder, y'know, in case you come across one of the other guys dead one patrol," rather than "Welcome! Try not to trip over Keith's body there or Ed's one in the next room, we're still arranging the funeral services."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I know the guards talk about footprints, but can you see your own footprints? I couldn't see them the couple of times they talked about finding them.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Glazius posted:

I know the guards talk about footprints, but can you see your own footprints? I couldn't see them the couple of times they talked about finding them.

Yes you can. Even the bunnies leave footprints.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

OutofSight posted:

It is nice to see that the UNITY workshop finally released the CT-180, besides the initial problems in the first game. Now is it a infiltration device or meant for emercency extractions, scruffy?

(No, i would not know that detail, if i did finish up watching the NOLF lp lately.)

Technically, is to be a support in several different situation. You have only to select the right ammunition and it can be used as a tool in infiltrations, extractions or even combat situation.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
What happens with the respawning enemies if you instead of killing them put them to sleep and disarm them? I'm assuming that's not a simple way to bypass the respawning mechanic.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Guards probably don't respawn if they are not dead (of course you never know). But I'm not sure what happens if they spot you, except that they will most likely run and trigger the alarm.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Who's ready for BACKTRACKING???

A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way
Scene 2/Polsy

Crystalgate posted:

What happens with the respawning enemies if you instead of killing them put them to sleep and disarm them? I'm assuming that's not a simple way to bypass the respawning mechanic.

I believe they'll wake up, find a gun...somewhere...and patrol around regularly once they de-alarm. There's no real way around the respawns in this particular chapter, they're real aggressive almost everywhere.

I'll...try. I can't make any promises. It's sort of a habit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't mind the aggressive respawn too much. It's certainly not perfect but it would be too easy if it wasn't there and it encourages sneaking. Also It makes sense for the Soviets to have infinite poor schmucks to send to their deaths, and the guard turnover is so high even without hostile spies they must have hundreds or more people constantly moving towards the place.

The note you missed is probably the one involving how the vending machines are actually empty except for a speaker playing clanking noises and a box to collect the coins tricked out of honest workers.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 27, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So the planned "revolution" was to streak the compound? :raise:

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Man, I liked NOLF 1, but I would probably have given up by now. Thanks for playing this so we don't have to.

I like to think that after shooting up those soldiers in the base's dining hall, Cate looked over her shoulder as she walked out the door and said "Sorry about the...mess."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Quiet Python posted:

Man, I liked NOLF 1, but I would probably have given up by now. Thanks for playing this so we don't have to.

I like to think that after shooting up those soldiers in the base's dining hall, Cate looked over her shoulder as she walked out the door and said "Sorry about the...mess."

It's only really this one level that has this kind of stealth strangeness. Pretty much all of the other levels are much more forgiving if you try to stealth (like the first level) or are intentionally geared toward shooting your way out.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I would definitely say most of Siberia is one of the weakest parts of the game. Other areas do a much better job of putting things together, aside from one stealth mission that I had some easier time with this time around.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

I would definitely say most of Siberia is one of the weakest parts of the game. Other areas do a much better job of putting things together, aside from one stealth mission that I had some easier time with this time around.

Yeah, they seem to have been going for a pretty freeform mission setup with Siberia, but the level design is too linear and cramped to handle it well. Also you're shooting mostly innocent Russian conscripts (although the game goes for a lot of cold war spy movie tropes) instead of any evil mooks.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

I have to say, the music theme in the Siberia missions has worn its welcome.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I have to say, the music theme in the Siberia missions has worn its welcome.

Especially that one sting that's at the beginning of the sneaking music. The one that for some reason decides to repeat itself over and over.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Atomikus posted:

Especially that one sting that's at the beginning of the sneaking music. The one that for some reason decides to repeat itself over and over.

That might be Kate sucking in her breath as an audio queue that you're fully stealthed.

Yeah, that's also gotten old. But OLD GAMES!

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

EponymousMrYar posted:

That might be Kate sucking in her breath as an audio queue that you're fully stealthed.

Yeah, that's also gotten old. But OLD GAMES!

No, I mean the guitar at the very beginning of the non-combat music. Lke right here where it repeatedly plays, even playing over itself sometimes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv1jfR9LXdY&t=324s

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord, they don't half make this first mission an endurance run, do they?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Atomikus posted:

No, I mean the guitar at the very beginning of the non-combat music. Lke right here where it repeatedly plays, even playing over itself sometimes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv1jfR9LXdY&t=324s

I think it's meant to evoke a balalaika, but yes good lord I'm tired of it too.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Yes, glorious russian sugar.

Also I love this whole cheesy spy genre and it makes me sad no one ever completed a vlp of evil genius :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nalesh posted:

Yes, glorious russian sugar.

Also I love this whole cheesy spy genre and it makes me sad no one ever completed a vlp of evil genius :v:

I want more orchestral spy music :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFw_48vv5NQ

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Evil Genius knew what it was trying to be. NOLF 1 did, too.

NOLF 2, I'm less certain so far. It just seems a lot less vibrant and energetic than 1.

• Locked thread