Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's time for a quick return to India, because...reasons.

The Curse of Kali
Scene 1/Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've never liked this mission. It feels a lot longer than it is and the accuracy of the super soldiers goes way up with the difficulty, as well as their damage. Those cannons hurt a lot and they knock you back so you can get stuck in corners and on objects. Not actual stuck in geometry stuck but stuck taking a lot of unnecessary damage stuck.

Did the super soldiers just leave when Kamal showed up? Suspicious!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I wonder how these super soldiers would hold up against the Laser Pistol from the last game ....

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's true - "Oh man, I'm bleedin' " is something I hear often in my daily routine. Plus, no one suspects Canadians.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This level is a hot mess. At least the super soldiers don't show up again until the end of the game if I remember right (and you then get the firepower necessary to beat them).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I expect some of the fires need two shots of water so they can change up the path to the faucet after you drop the first one. Doesn't make it less frustrating to make the trip.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It might have been way too easy to just sprint past if you only needed one. :shrug:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Dang, it's been a long time since we were back at UNITY HQ. I miss the old music.

The Interlopers
Scene 1/Polsy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

First time I played this mission I didn't spot the gun on the table, or the stun mascara. But I did see the banana and had to struggle a bit for my first weapon.

This game is so much fun. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This level reminds me of the Perfect Dark HQ defense level.

I'm also amused to note that the ladybug phone bug is apparently a standard piece of equipment.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, everyone in the first game took the situation they were in seriously, which was part of the joke, and I generally prefer that sort of humor.

But Cate is still great and while this one might be more 'absolutely everything's a joke', they're good jokes.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

It appears that mime got same supplier of bugs we have, but got enough budget to pay for next, wireless generation.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
UNITY HQ in the second game has sadly lost the big spinning logo and decorative waterfalls.

The Indian super-soldiers level is another one that's atmospheric and scary to play but kinda falls apart when you're not running around in the thick of things. The sense of chaos is palpable. The problem, as we saw, comes when you run out of fighting NPCs and are just left dodging invincible super-soldiers as you run back and forth reloading buckets.

NOLF 1 managed to pull this concept off in its finale (just before the Baroness dies), so I question why 2 struggles with it. I wonder if this portion of the game saw cuts or dropped segments?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The best part of the bugs is that no one ever notices them. Maybe lady bugs really like sleeping on those horrible-looking phones.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Poil posted:

The best part of the bugs is that no one ever notices them. Maybe lady bugs really like sleeping on those horrible-looking phones.

Presumably you buy them in the office supply catalogues we keep finding.

Man, whatever happened to those burly blue-clad scotsmen who guarded HQ in the first game?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I just got caught up on the thread. I remember this level very well, to the point where I still say "I do not like this!" in a bad French accent when things aren't going my way. IIRC in the multiplayer you could jump up on top of where the globe is and cause all kinds of havoc.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Cate forgets running unicycle battles with a quickness. You'd figure she'd twig to Wee King Mime there.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Man, Cate forgets running unicycle battles with a quickness. You'd figure she'd twig to Wee King Mime there.

Well, there's another strange small person who is there on "official business", so maybe it was an honest oversight.

Speaking of General "Chicken" Hawkins, I know it's default civilian behavior, but his cowering when the shooting starts seems especially appropriate.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I appreciate the "must you fidget" "yes" comment, given that's pretty much the only way these cutscene dialogues are animated (still today)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This map was the only one that I and a couple of friends actually played multiplayer. But we spent most of the time throwing bananas at each other since they endlessly respawned in an office drawer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

double nine posted:

I appreciate the "must you fidget" "yes" comment, given that's pretty much the only way these cutscene dialogues are animated (still today)

The delivery is perfect, too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

From a previous video but I can definitely see Volkov as someone who over-exaggerates with an incredibly evil deed to cover up for a lame accident or (if we take Contract JACK as canon) embarrassing failure.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

This map was the only one that I and a couple of friends actually played multiplayer. But we spent most of the time throwing bananas at each other since they endlessly respawned in an office drawer.
Yeah I think we crashed a couple of games because instead of shooting each other everyone covered the floor in bananas.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

From a previous video but I can definitely see Volkov as someone who over-exaggerates with an incredibly evil deed to cover up for a lame accident or (if we take Contract JACK as canon) embarrassing failure.
That's how I'm reading it as well. Guy's got a reputation to uphold.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm having trouble coming up with video intros. This is hard okay.

Underwater
Scene 1/Polsy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kinda like Volkov's mission statement, it's refreshingly non-bullshit and he probably shares your opinion of the useless corp-babble. Anyone trying the obnoxious talk-more-to-cover-up-that-they-don't-have-anything-meaningful-to-say crap on him will find their tongues torn out, and being crushed into a cube. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 20, 2017

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The Martha/Clark thing is most definitely a call back to the couple in NOLF1. If you searched their room, you found a letter from Clark saying he hated to say farewell to his beloved Martha but he was actually a Soviet sleeper agent and had a wife and three children on a turnip farm in Vladivostok.

This level has the best music. It's soooooo good :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Next to Armstrong, HARM's morale officer is the best character in this series.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Loxbourne posted:

The Martha/Clark thing is most definitely a call back to the couple in NOLF1. If you searched their room, you found a letter from Clark saying he hated to say farewell to his beloved Martha but he was actually a Soviet sleeper agent and had a wife and three children on a turnip farm in Vladivostok.

This level has the best music. It's soooooo good :allears:

There's also a character in The Americans, a show about Russian spies in the US, named Martha. Phillip, one of the spies, seduces her while pretending to be a man named Clark. I don't know if the writers took that from these games or it's just a coincidence, but I kinda hope so.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Hmm, looks like the General is about to fall in to The Old Honey Pot.

There seems to be a running theme with people just taking threats as suggestions in this game. The password of the day back in India the first time was something like that too wasn't it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zushio posted:

Hmm, looks like the General is about to fall in to The Old Honey Pot.

There seems to be a running theme with people just taking threats as suggestions in this game. The password of the day back in India the first time was something like that too wasn't it?

Well, you know, in the industry they're in it's just a standard of communication.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You have to give The Director credit. His disguise as a slovenly drunk with ill-advised dress sense is perfect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

You have to give The Director credit. His disguise as a slovenly drunk with ill-advised dress sense is perfect.

It helps that he is also a slovenly drunk with ill-advised dress sense. The sort of life experience you can use in your everyday job as evil genius.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Nobody knew putting robots underwater could be so complicated.

Undersea
Scene 2/Polsy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Poor robots. After being showed aside by a more glamorous project they're degraded with meaningless soul crushing labor. No wonder they only see one way out. :smith:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have to admit that when I heard there were robots, I was imagining something...taller.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yeah, just giving the player instant robot-killing ammo the first time you meet them makes the robots rather lame. It would have been better to make the player hate them a bit first by having to sneak past them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the aesthetic in here, though. It's so round.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Loxbourne posted:

Yeah, just giving the player instant robot-killing ammo the first time you meet them makes the robots rather lame. It would have been better to make the player hate them a bit first by having to sneak past them.

On the one hand the robots are pretty :shrug: but on the other, the "sneak past invincible enemies" part was the super soldiers in India and I'm glad they didn't do that twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Come to think of it I guess it's not clear what UNITY what do with the Director of HARM if they ever caught him. Put him on trial? Kill him?

Undersea
Scene 3/Polsy

• Locked thread