Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The best way to solve this is to make sure no one goes out in public like that Bruce Willis movie about incels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

It might also be that getting people to run people over is pretty effective and kind of hard to stop so why go for anything more elaborate?

I'm guessing if you're a serious terrorist looking to attack a country you hate it's much easier and effective to find idiots to run cars into people than risk yourself and your goal by orchestrating some major attack and possibly getting caught/killed.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ColoradoCleric posted:

I'm guessing if you're a serious terrorist looking to attack a country you hate it's much easier and effective to find idiots to run cars into people than risk yourself and your goal by orchestrating some major attack and possibly getting caught/killed.

It requires a trivially easy amount of planning and preparation (locate a busy area or gathering of people) and an easily attainable common tool (an automobile). No illegal or unusual activity is necessary until the commission of the act itself.

There is simply no reason to do anything more complicated. You also have the copycat effect at this point - everybody knows you can kill a bunch of people and grab all the headlines by running a car through a crowd.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

OwlFancier posted:

It might also be that getting people to run people over is pretty effective and kind of hard to stop so why go for anything more elaborate?

Because terrorism needs spectacle to be ultimately successful. People are getting used to "ISIS inspired dude drove a van over people" on the news really fast, which is interesting.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

Because terrorism needs spectacle to be ultimately successful. People are getting used to "ISIS inspired dude drove a van over people" on the news really fast, which is interesting.

That's maybe why the Barcelona attack was meant to feature vans filled with propane tanks, so they could start off with driving into the crowd then setting off a huge bomb to 'improve' the spectacle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:ssh: public transport :ssh:
Good news is that you can use a bus to run over people too!

Apparently one person was just killed at a bus stop in Marseille. It's too soon for any details but supposedly another but stop was also targeted: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40998324

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if instead of cars we got rid of tires

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
dehumanize yourself, and face to bloodshed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endorph posted:

what if instead of cars we got rid of tires
Good plan. Less cars and buses, more trolleys and trains. If you still want your private car, you can have a car with train wheels like in back to the future. Good luck running over pedestrians when you have to derail yourself to mount the curb.

Kemper Boyd posted:

24 hour news media and the constant search for new outrage and misery has a lot to answer for.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mobby_6kl posted:

Good news is that you can use a bus to run over people too!

Yes, I remember.

You can also very effectively commit suicide attacks in buses.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Kemper Boyd posted:

I think the "get a van and run over people" trend is more about showing that the organizations that were previously able to do stuff like the London bombings, the Madrid bombing and the Charlie Hebdo attack are more or less losing the talent they need for those kinds of attacks, considering that the better planned attacks tend to end up with everyone involved in it dead.

Wanted to come back to this because it turns out that the Barcelona van thing appears to have been part of a fairly complex plot. When you wrote this, it made sense to me but it apparently, at least in this instance, it wasn't true.

I think there is an advantage to terrorists using something ubiquitous like the car to perpetrate terror; you're going to see them everywhere you go, which both disguises a terror attack before it happens and at the same time, if cars get branded as terror adjuncts, it means everywhere you go you're seeing something that makes you anxious. The fact that anyone can pull off one of these attacks actually makes it also something you might want to do as part of a coordinated attack.

Btw, I didn't make this thread as a joke. The 20th century in terror was the century of the bomb, but it seems like the 21st century is gonna be the century of the vehicle; 9/11 wasn't just unusually lethal, it also represented a tactical shift, in retrospect.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I mean, poo poo, I'm still not sure why we haven't seen someone driving an 18 wheeler into a crowd (more work to get a CDL? Not easy to steal a huge truck? Bad acceleration?)

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

cda posted:

I mean, poo poo, I'm still not sure why we haven't seen someone driving an 18 wheeler into a crowd (more work to get a CDL? Not easy to steal a huge truck? Bad acceleration?)

We've seen terrorists go to flight school, getting a CDL is a cakewalk in comparison. It might be the handling, but a similar type of truck was used in Nice just last year.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cda posted:

Real footage of a future terrorist attack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9E30hnq7vw

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

LeJackal posted:

We've seen terrorists go to flight school, getting a CDL is a cakewalk in comparison. It might be the handling, but a similar type of truck was used in Nice just last year.

Hmm. That's a big truck, but I mean a bigger truck.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

The extensive news reporting on the attacks ensures there is spectacle.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

cda posted:

What would be the point? A longer truck doesn't run people over any better.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What would be the point? A longer truck doesn't run people over any better.

Yeah it does, more mass.

My guess is they don't get used in attacks because they're harder to get and take special training to drive. Even if a terrorist stole one they'd probably get it stuck in an intersection trying to make a left hand turn en route to the attack site.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just need a big truck.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mobby_6kl posted:

Just need a big truck.

Well, if they want a spectacle:

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Accelerate the demise of the Automobile, especially in cities. Have more city roads open to permanent "pedestrian only" traffic. Not only does it increase public safety, but it's better for the environment as well.

Cars are a great example of a privatization project. Expensive, inefficient, and with few exceptions ugly.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 23, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Road diets to narrow streets in areas that regularly have a lot of pedestrian traffic. Trees along sidewalks along with bike lanes make for natural and aesthetically pleasing bollards. Getting rid of parking minimums to move parked cars onto the streets and create a barrier of parked cars between road traffic and pedestrians also helps.

These are all things that cities should be doing anyway, because there are tons of accidents between cars and pedestrians every year, but now that people are doing deliberately as terrorism, it's catching a lot more attention.

When you have large gatherings of pedestrians, cities should be setting up K-Rails along the periphery to keep cars out. In Santa Monica, after an accident in 2003 at the local farmers market where an elderly driver accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and plowed into a bunch of pedestrians, the city got the poo poo sued out of them for not doing enough to stop accidents like that, so now they have vehicle nets set up to catch and arrest the momentum of any car that runs into it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

cda posted:

Watch out if someone starts using Champion Crane trucks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD4AgkHStLU&t=85s

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Good plan. Less cars and buses, more trolleys and trains. If you still want your private car, you can have a car with train wheels like in back to the future. Good luck running over pedestrians when you have to derail yourself to mount the curb.

24 hour news media and the constant search for new outrage and misery has a lot to answer for.

I'm sure part of it is that car deaths are pretty accepted already - cars kill tens of thousands of Americans every year, including several thousand pedestrians. It's just not a novel or unfamiliar way of death the way bombs or plane crashes are.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Instant Sunrise posted:

When you have large gatherings of pedestrians, cities should be setting up K-Rails along the periphery to keep cars out. In Santa Monica, after an accident in 2003 at the local farmers market where an elderly driver accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and plowed into a bunch of pedestrians, the city got the poo poo sued out of them for not doing enough to stop accidents like that, so now they have vehicle nets set up to catch and arrest the momentum of any car that runs into it.
"Accidentally"

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Accidentally"

This is a notable difference. Stuff like a net around a farmers market is great for preventing the incredibly infrequent accident where old person and a crowd might line up just right.

It's less good about preventing some Nazi fetishist from noting that people are gathered in a line on the grass outside the net today a few minutes before driving a car into them.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
It's weird as hell to think about, but I can't think of any way to murder someone you don't like that's more quintessentially American than running them over in your car. Americans are the people who overwhelmingly reject public transit and demand we make services available as a drive-through, where you needn't leave your car for food, money, or even watching a loving movie.

It just seems so inevitable that Trump supporters, fully encapsulating all of America's worst vices, chose the car as their weapon against people they don't like. Even loving Fox News is condoning the act.

I've got the feeling we're gonna see a lot more protesters murdered by shithead Trump supporters in the years to come, because it's doing horrible poo poo with no effort which is The Trumpian Mantra.

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm sure part of it is that car deaths are pretty accepted already - cars kill tens of thousands of Americans every year, including several thousand pedestrians. It's just not a novel or unfamiliar way of death the way bombs or plane crashes are.

In Georgia they display the number of roadway fatalities in the state year-to-date, and yet it's something we live with since the idiots North of Atlanta have so thoroughly annihilated any funding chances for real public transit. You realize that it's a big number, you shrug because there's no other way to get to your job, and you just hope your ticket isn't pulled in the reaper's lottery that day by a distracted 16-year-old in their parents' 6,000 lb SUV.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

Road diets to narrow streets in areas that regularly have a lot of pedestrian traffic. Trees along sidewalks along with bike lanes make for natural and aesthetically pleasing bollards. Getting rid of parking minimums to move parked cars onto the streets and create a barrier of parked cars between road traffic and pedestrians also helps.

These are all things that cities should be doing anyway, because there are tons of accidents between cars and pedestrians every year, but now that people are doing deliberately as terrorism, it's catching a lot more attention.

I'm not sure I would recommend on-street parking as a solution to pedestrian safety because it makes it a lot harder to see them crossing.

jamariscott
Aug 24, 2017
Self-driving cars will solve this problem. I think its important that my car put my safety first, if people are crowding and attacking my car, or if skidding it gets into control in a way that puts my safety first. Also, we can ban guns, cause politics. :D

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
This may come as a massive surprise to the majority of people but I have a hard truth to deal.

The only way to prevent terrorism or violence of any kind is to have an educated and content population. Gun rights advocates have been saying for years that guns don't kill people, people do. You learned the wrong lesson, I guess, if you are talking about adding more bollards to sidewalks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jamariscott posted:

Self-driving cars will solve this problem. I think its important that my car put my safety first, if people are crowding and attacking my car, or if skidding it gets into control in a way that puts my safety first. Also, we can ban guns, cause politics. :D

Check out the unicorn thread, truckers Nazis will just spoof LIDAR data and cause random people's cars to crash into leftist protesters!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

This may come as a massive surprise to the majority of people but I have a hard truth to deal.

The only way to prevent terrorism or violence of any kind is to have an educated and content population. Gun rights advocates have been saying for years that guns don't kill people, people do. You learned the wrong lesson, I guess, if you are talking about adding more bollards to sidewalks.

Here's the thing though, while intentional terrorism by driving cars into crowds is rare, but there's a lot more cases of people accidentally running over pedestrians in their cars. There's still a lot that can be done in general to improve walkability and safety for pedestrians, and that would incidentally make it harder for terrorist attacks like this to happen.

A bollard barrier that was built to protect against a terrorist driving a car onto the sidewalk is also going to protect against a drunk or distracted driver who isn't intentionally trying to kill people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But what about the government trampling on my god given right to drive on the pavement???

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

Here's the thing though, while intentional terrorism by driving cars into crowds is rare, but there's a lot more cases of people accidentally running over pedestrians in their cars. There's still a lot that can be done in general to improve walkability and safety for pedestrians, and that would incidentally make it harder for terrorist attacks like this to happen.

A bollard barrier that was built to protect against a terrorist driving a car onto the sidewalk is also going to protect against a drunk or distracted driver who isn't intentionally trying to kill people.

OwlFancier posted:

But what about the government trampling on my god given right to drive on the pavement???
There is no such thing. Which is why it's unconscionable that there are not much stiffer penalties for drunk driving or distracted driving such as revocation of driving license and impounding the vehicle on the first offense. the NHTSA has been tracking traffic fatality stats for decades and they have constantly gone down year after year, until recent times. The reason that traffic deaths are going back up? Texting and driving. Texting and driving should have the same penalty as drunk driving and there should be draconian punishments.

This is getting a little off topic for this thread, however.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps we could crack down on people texting and driving and also put some bollards up?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
A car may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow and human being to come to harm.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I wonder when we will have our first car president 🤔, and whether it will be a lovely car.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
But back to the subject at hand, collision-avoiding cars are a long way off, and you're not going to be able to retrofit the millions of cars already in circulation, so I guess it's just bollards? That's all we've got?

I think the only real limitation on this thing is the number of people who are willing to die or go to jail for the privilege of getting to run a bunch of people over.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the safest place to be from a car is another car. cities need to discourage walking and encourage driving especially in nightlife heavy areas with the most people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a car is a good guy with a car

• Locked thread