Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
a kind-of-scandal is surrounding leathery racist (& likely kingmaker in the next government) winston peters. it's emerged that his old-age pension was overpaid for like 7 years.
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/@politics/2017/08/28/44815/peters-overpaid-and-under-pressure

now the scandal has pivoted to asking where the leak came from. a couple of government ministers were informed (probs inappropriately) by their departments under the 'no surprises' policy, so it was almost certainly them. the other option is that an official leaked it, but that seems much less likely.

winston is notorious for never letting anything go so this should be kind of entertaining. my guess is that it'll boost his awful party even higher!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
nice guy

quote:

Rhetoric:
Since 2005 he's described Asian immigration as "imported criminal activity", and dubbed New Zealand the "last Asian colony". Then there was his announcement framing himself as a lone knight against "Asian dog farmers". He's claimed that refugees come "carrying HIV and all sorts of third-world diseases." Of the Islamic community, he says "the moderate and militant, fit hand and glove. Underneath it all the agenda is to promote fundamentalist Islam—indeed these groups are like the mythical Hydra, a serpent underbelly with multiple heads, capable of striking at any time and in any direction."
In 2014 he refused to apologise for his comment that "two wongs don't make a white". This year, he's attacked the ethnicity of two top NZ Herald data journalists, saying they were spreading misinformation, "seek[ing] to justify their existence and that of mass immigration, coming mainly from Asia"; and argued that the difference between New Zealanders and Filipinos is the latter don't know how to change a tyre or fix a fence. His rhetoric is certainly hitting the mark with some audiences—a recent undercover investigation into New Zealand's alt-right and and white supremacist groups found the members proclaiming that Winston was "our guy" and "Winnie has my undying respect".

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Forward his resume to Trump and I bet he would get hired

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't believe the sherrif of the Shire is so corrupt

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

exmarx posted:

the threshold is the only really bad thing. i'd prefer stv for the electorate vote, but it would realistically be too complicated
Also get with the program and eliminate overhang seats somehow, even if it's just by throwing in additional balance seats like Germany does now.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the first debate is happening in 2 hours and 10 minutes, and can be streamed here https://www.facebook.com/TVOneNZ/

im just going to watch the highlights i think, on account of im going out

frankenfreak posted:

Also get with the program and eliminate overhang seats somehow, even if it's just by throwing in additional balance seats like Germany does now.

getting rid of the threshold would solve the overhang thing i think

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am taking five minutes out of my workday for the next month to concentrate extremely hard on hating Winston Peters to death

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

this thread is insanely good and im gonna stolicky it to the top of cspam until i remember to un-sticky it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oh awesome i can give it a 30 day sticky, or stolicky as i apparently think theyre known

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
squizzle, thank you.

the first debate was really boring. something much more interesting happened an hour beforehand:

that's the labour party overtaking national – this is their highest poll result since march 2007. at this level of support, they could theoretically form a government with the support of the greens and māori party. additionally, ardern has overtaken english to become the preferred prime minister!

obviously this is just one poll – another is due out tonight, in around 2 hours – but polls do drive a narrative.

---

campaign-wise, there hasn't been much exciting stuff happening. ardern is able to look like a human being when meeting people; something her opponent and predecessors haven't managed.

---

t.o.p party leader gareth morgan, undeterred by his party being stuck at 1-2%, continues to be a tedious little nerd.

this natch led to him being called a sexist, which in turn led to this

i had a dig thru wayback, it turns out he's always been this way:

😬

---

today the national party released another insanely bad policy, they really seem to be theresa maying things up lol

quote:

Deputy Prime Minister Paula Bennett has promised an $82 million methamphetamine and gang crackdown if National is re-elected.

The funding - spread over four years - would go towards "tough measures" towards some drug dealers that Bennett believes have "fewer human rights than others", as well as more drug rehabilitation places.

The enforcement measures, costing $42 million, would give police new powers to search cars and houses of "serious criminal" gang members at any time with no warrant to ensure they don't have firearms, double the number of drug dog teams, increase penalties for synthetic cannabis, put new restrictions on gang members on benefits, and introduce a new charge for those who damage a property with meth production or consumption.

$40 million would go toward 1500 additional drug treatment places and community treatment.

In an extraordinary press conference following the announcement at the Higher Ground drug rehabilitation centre in West Auckland, Bennett said some gang members had "fewer" human rights than others and Prime Minister Bill English said it was good that New Zealand lacked a written constitution as it gave governments flexibility.

Police would be able to search the houses and cars of known gang members with a previous serious violent conviction at any time with no warrant under the new law, which Bennett admitted presented a human rights issue.

"It probably does breach the rights of some of those criminals but they have to have had a serious violent offence behind them already and a firearm charge and on the basis of that we are going ahead with it," Bennett said.

Asked point blank whether she believed criminals had human rights, Bennett replied "some have fewer human rights than others when they are creating a string of victims behind them."

"There is a different standard."

New Zealand is a somewhat unique democracy in that it lacks a written constitution which entrenches the human rights of its citizens in law.

Asked if the Government would be able to create a law like this in a country with a written constitution, the Prime Minister refused to address a "hypothetical," but did note that "it's good that we don't have a written constitution it's enabled the country to deal with all sorts of issues in a practical and effective way."

Anyone working at ports, mail centres, and airport baggage centres - including contractors - would require police vetting. Drugs dogs would also be introduced at domestic airports.

Anyone on the gang register of around 5000 people who was on a benefit or applied for a benefit would have to prove that any expensive asset they owned was obtained legally. If they couldn't they could have their benefit cut or refused.

yikes.

---

finally, there's another debate tomorrow. it's probably going to be better than the first one.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i've been mapping out anglophone governments for a couple of years, since i noticed the domination of tory parties everywhere. this insanely scientific analysis shows that nz is due for a change of government, following canada :viggo:

it's also interesting to see the relative stability of party leadership - australian prime ministers tend to get knifed right before an election, for example.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Australia confirmed as the furthest back in time

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Can somebody explain how there are like 25,000 people in New Zealand and every one of them post 100x a day on forums so it seems like there's hundreds of millions

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

Can somebody explain how there are like 25,000 people in New Zealand and every one of them post 100x a day on forums so it seems like there's hundreds of millions

why do so many power rangers and wizards come from new zealand???? the answer to our questions is the same

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

exmarx posted:

t.o.p party leader gareth morgan, undeterred by his party being stuck at 1-2%, continues to be a tedious little nerd.

Did this guy really steal a slogan from the UK Lib Dems?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

how big is new zealand's budget? just to get a feel for if $42 million for jailing drug addicts is a lot or not

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Badger of Basra posted:

how big is new zealand's budget? just to get a feel for if $42 million for jailing drug addicts is a lot or not

$80.5 bn

they're really just flailing with this law and order stuff. english has a genuine interest in 'social investment', they've been relatively sensible to date for a tory government

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

New Zealanders are pretty bored.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Is there any significant movement to move yalls Labour to the left or has NZ avoided any sort of Corbynism.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

slinkimalinki posted:

New Zealanders are pretty bored.

the only website allowed is somethingawful thanks to a deal between lowtax and the NZ government

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokNvbiRqCM

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
here's the debate livestream, starting now

https://youtu.be/20KBI7vV_-U

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why does Ardern always look like she's wearing a boxer's mouthguard, what did they tell her before the debate

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

safely sodomized posted:

Is there any significant movement to move yalls Labour to the left or has NZ avoided any sort of Corbynism.

arden is at least perceived like that, but she's more like an obama or trudeau. still very much third way, but has carved herself out as an actual different option.

having a proportional system acts as a kind of pressure valve for this stuff - that's why the greens were polling as high as 15% a month ago

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Crane Fist posted:

Why does Ardern always look like she's wearing a boxer's mouthguard, what did they tell her before the debate

have you seen how big her teeth are

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Also nzelection

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

safely sodomized posted:

The new Labour leader just answered the question of 'which do you think is worse, tax evasion, or benefit fraud?' with 'both' so...

For reference, benefit fraud costs ~$30 million P/A, much of which is recovered (the ministry of social development spent $50 million investigating benefit frauds between 2013 and 2016); frauds of as little as $1000 have been pursued relentlessly, and 65% of the worst-offending benefit fraudsters go to prison, the worst of the tax evaders get home detention.

In contrast, Inland Revenue estimates the bare minimum cost of tax avoidance and evasion to be $1.2 billion, potentially it's a lot more than that.

These things are apparently of similar severity, if you live in Labour's universe.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The new Labour leader just answered the question of 'which do you think is worse, tax evasion, or benefit fraud?' with 'both' so...

For reference, benefit fraud costs ~$30 million P/A, much of which is recovered (the ministry of social development spent $50 million investigating benefit frauds between 2013 and 2016); frauds of as little as $1000 have been pursued relentlessly, and 65% of the worst-offending benefit fraudsters go to prison, the worst of the tax evaders get home detention.

In contrast, Inland Revenue estimates the bare minimum cost of tax avoidance and evasion to be $1.2 billion, potentially it's a lot more than that.

These things are apparently of similar severity, if you live in Labour's universe.

well the rich are job creators obviously :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

does it feel good to vote in a natl election w/o the constant awareness that the winner will be capable of ending all human life on earth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

well the rich are job creators obviously :colbert:

just think of all the jobs they created for offshore accountants

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

etalian posted:

just think of all the jobs they created for offshore accountants

idky anybodyd wanna do accounting offshore it seems like itd be a pain in the rear end with the boat rockin back and forth and the saltwater gettin on everything :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slinkimalinki posted:

Also nzelection

now that's what I call politics

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
this thread is fake news

new zealand doesn't exist

http://worldmapswithout.nz/

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gringostar posted:

this thread is fake news

new zealand doesn't exist

http://worldmapswithout.nz/

:yeah: this

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
labour seems to be beating national in the freakin meme war

https://twitter.com/LabourMemes/status/903874864263577600
https://twitter.com/nzyoungnats/status/903152718881079296

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

red salute

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/jacktame/status/905506819329597440

dad :buddy:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

would Labour be willing to go into a coalition with nz first again or are they too fascisty now

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
absolutely

e: here's one of their candidates, who quit being a labour mp a couple of years ago

exmarx has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Small country, I know but... I work with that guy. :)

• Locked thread