Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

all right new zealand folks, how many of you have ever morphed???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/AnaSamways/status/904869107769556993
https://twitter.com/AnaSamways/status/905568655395586048

:iiam:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
new poll

https://twitter.com/ColmarBruntonNZ/status/905672628286898176

one thing i haven't mentioned is that this isn't bill english's first election as national party leader – in 2002, he led them to a historic low of 20.9%

here he is 15 years ago, driving a tractor up the steps of parliament & losing a charity boxing match

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

i'm voteing labour now

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

liberals are straight up obsessed with toilet paper, aren't they

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

R. Mute posted:

liberals are straight up obsessed with toilet paper, aren't they

if you were that full of poo poo wouldnt you be too 🤔

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if you were that full of poo poo wouldnt you be too 🤔

:perfect:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
without toilet paper, how could we post?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
NZPol update: hope was a lie that's gone to die in a $11 billion hole.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
did you guys elect the conservatives lol

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

quite stretched out posted:

No, we elected this guy:

Well, not ME, obviously. But some of us did.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
introduce me

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

His name's John. I think he's unemployed now, so I'm sure he he'll have time for a chat. BYO hotdogs, make sure you have a ponytail.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

quite stretched out posted:

You may have confused two different but irrelevant countries

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
im gonna be honest i forgot the entire thread after i finished reading it so i took a guess

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

I voted overseas and my roommate (American) was impressed by the ease of our voting system

Party voted Green/ Labor for Electorate

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did you guys have the election yet

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
actually, everyone agreed that elections were a big mistake and they wouldn't have any more.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

actually, everyone agreed that elections were a big mistake and they wouldn't have any more.

I'm glad

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

just read the op jfc !!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
there are just 6 sleeps to go until the election

i voted on tuesday (2 ticks act babey!), as did a ton of other people:

labour and the greens are pushing advance voting hard, since obviously they're the parties that rely on increasing turnout. people are also able to enrol at advance polling booths, which is nice. some are predicting that this will be the last election where the majority vote on election day itself.

___

a few more polls have been released, with some wild fluctuations.

the two big ones polled over the exact same period and got these results

????????

polls of polls have the big 2 basically even

one problem is that there are fewer polls than in previous elections, so no one really knows what the gently caress, lol.

___

the labour party has flip-flopped on a promise to implement the findings of a tax review before the next election, after concerted ratfucking from the national party. this comes on the heels of the nats claiming there was a $12bn shortfall in labour's election costings (there wasn't), and that they are going to raise income tax (they aren't):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIV2TGX1aE

this is ardern's first major blow as leader, but i suspect the u-turn won't have damaged her much if at all.

___

rnz has done a series of extended interviews with the major party leaders, they're all quite interesting
bill english
jacinda ardern
james shaw
winston peters

the biggest highlight is winston peters being unable to weasel away from answering questions when an interview is 25 minutes long. jacinda also does the fascinating thing of saying that neoliberalism has failed, while refusing to do anything to dismantle it. :waycool:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Voted early, as usual. Got a sticker to prove it.

It was at the library, so I also got a book on Godzilla.

And an apple and rhubarb pie.

All in all, a good day out. 10/10, would vote again.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

what sort of influence has disneys moana had on this election

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

if labour loses by just a little will ardern get replaced or does she get credit for improving their numbers by so much

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Do you guys vote early by mail or what

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

legally at any time they can swim into the sea and whisper the name of their preferred candidate to a dolphin, that counts as a vote

watch out tho!!! if they are tricked and what they believe a dolphin is actually a shark, that person has forfeited their vote and the shark gets to cast their ballot instead

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Squizzle posted:

what sort of influence has disneys moana had on this election

none, tho a couple of pasifika mps did criticise it for being racist at the time

Badger of Basra posted:

if labour loses by just a little will ardern get replaced or does she get credit for improving their numbers by so much

i don't think there's any chance she'll get replaced, even if they do worse than what polling suggests. andrew little is credited with unifying their caucus; before him there were endless leaks to media & rumours of leadership challenges every couple of months.

helen clark lost in 1996, stared down a leadership challenge, and won in 1999, so it's certainly been done before in recent memory.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Lawman 0 posted:

there are a bunch of polling places around, i just walked to the one closest to work. we vote on paper ballots, there are boxes for the different electorates in the region, and you don't need to show any id or anything

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Real answer: I drove to the local library, handed over a little card with my name on it, got my voting paper, ticked two boxes and was done.

It took about three minutes.

It used to be you could only do it if you were going to be out of town on the day. Now it's just "You're ready? Sure, here's a form, go nuts."

Our voting system is pretty good, seeing as we borrowed it from Germany.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Real answer: I drove to the local library, handed over a little card with my name on it, got my voting paper, ticked two boxes and was done.

It took about three minutes.

It used to be you could only do it if you were going to be out of town on the day. Now it's just "You're ready? Sure, here's a form, go nuts."

Our voting system is pretty good, seeing as we borrowed it from Germany.

See we could get a national ID card but that would require convincing a good section of the population that's it's not the number of the beast

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

See we could get a national ID card but that would require convincing a good section of the population that's it's not the number of the beast

Oh we don't have a national ID card. This is just a little bit of card with your details that get sent out to you with info on polling places a couple of weeks before the election if you've enrolled to vote. You don't e even need one, it just makes things quicker.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
National vs. Labour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chMCU5VSuqw

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Also thinking about farting red this year

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
some farmers got mad about labour wanting to tax them for the insane amount of water they use & pollution they cause and had a little protest

a famous tractor, myrtle, made an appearance!

here is bill english again, doing misogyny on it shortly before he got destroyed by another female labour leader in 2002

___

animosity between farmers and the labour movement goes back more than a hundred years. william massey, our worst prime minister, enlisted farmers as 'special constables' during the 1913 dock workers' strike. they bravely rode their horses into unarmed strikers and beat them with batons, enabling scab labour to be brought in. hooray!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

considering how utterly horrible all farmers are all over the world, it makes you admire mao even more for getting their support

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

R. Mute posted:

considering how utterly horrible all farmers are all over the world, it makes you admire mao even more for getting their support

american farmers were one of the most progressive forces in the country until after ww2. in most countries in latin america campesinos remain some of the strongest supporters of the left. i dont know poo poo about aus or nz tbh, but mostly the first world farmer becoming more reactionary is a very modern development that arose alongside corporate farming, and you still have large swaths of rural europe that vote left

and that doesnt even include asia, where farmers were THE revolutionary class (as you mention Mao, but also SE Asia)

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 10:34 on Sep 19, 2017

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

farmers here were traditionally very, very catholic and very, very conservative

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
in nz at least, farmers were the people who could afford to buy (or steal) land after immigrating from the uk. farm workers were never highly unionised, and today they tend to rely on cheap, easily exploitable migrant labour.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
how the heck do you even harvest anything without an enormous underclass of non-citizen indentured labor???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

how the heck do you even harvest anything without an enormous underclass of non-citizen indentured labor???

Enslaved Orcs.

• Locked thread