Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

where do i start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Disappointing Dollhouse posted:

i've been loving around with keras for the last month or two. makes it pretty easy to start getting results without caring too much about the math underneath.

you'll need to learn the math eventually though.

I wanna learn the math

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

good poo poo

nice

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Skim Milk posted:

learn to make better posts first, op

i'd markov chain your post history but i doubt it'd be an improvement

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

yo this is fully sick im watching all of this poo poo right now

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bloody posted:

neural networks are matrices with racism inside

looking forward to running a clustering algorithm on crime statistics and seeing what it has to say about demographics

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

last night i learned about naive bayes classifiers and how to make a linear regression model while touching up on my linear algebra that i haven't done in over a decade. good website.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

same that’s why i pay money to internet course men and tell all my friends so i can shame myself into doing it

it's free

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i only really did edx courses for stuff and you can pay there if you want to get a shiny linkedin cert, it’s not very expensive

LinkedIn certs are worthless and nobody cares about them.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A LinkedIn cert is like the gold sticker the teacher gives the div kid in school because he was able to correctly recite his 2 times tables. Nobody cares about it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

op: no you don't

if you waited this long for it to be "cool" then you are just chasing a trend and you're not up for the math

maybe what you actually want is to be able to bullshit sufficiently about these topics to put them on your resume?

Nope, I want to do it properly.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

why? what is your motivation for learning this thing? what if i told you that behind all the fancy math, it is mostly horseshit, and people will move on to the next thing within 5 years or so once all the promises don't pan out?

Who cares.

qhat fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 22, 2017

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm not asking to simulate a human brain. I just want to do interesting data analysis.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

HoboMan posted:

really i am very interested in the math but everything glosses over it as hard as it can so as soon as i start following a tutorial i don't understand what i am doing anymore
like cool, magic, i made a thing that very narrowly accomplishes whatever the tutorial set as the task, but i want to know the theoretical stuff and not cast computer spells

Those Coursera videos are good and they seem to go over the essentials. Understanding what's actually going on underneath the surface of svd() or whatever is what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I thought I'd forgotten all the math until I read the briefs and was like oh yeah that's how it's done. It's easy once you've mastered it at least once.

• Locked thread