Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One of my old roommates had a 98 or 99 ACR (in the same blue color, even). That thing was insanely fun to throw around - got to drive it a few times, and it just reached up and slapped a grin onto my face every time.

Hopefully that cam isn't too hosed, that looks a lot uglier than I expected after seeing "passed the fingernail test".

OneOverZero posted:

the preferred 2.7L design

Also uh this is probably the only positive thing I've ever heard about the 2.7 (to be fair I'm not a Mopar guy, so most of what I know about their engines outside of the 4.0 and slant 6 is negative).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can definitely agree on the Altima gearbox. It wasn't bad at all for what it is. I can agree on some Hondas.

On the Hondas... ehh the Civic gearboxes were always kinda weird for me. The Accord ones were butter smooth though, that famous "snick snick" action. Even on my 80s Accords.

The gearbox in my Saturn is like rowing through a gravel pit, despite being cable operated. "Smooth" is not a word that gets associated with a Getrag F23.

I've driven manual Neons - 1st and 2nd gen - and they really weren't bad gearboxes. One was an ACR, one was a poverty spec 2nd gen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That Aires... :stare: That thing's pretty drat clean. I'd drive that myself, though it's probably safe to assume it's a 3 speed auto. Can you swap a later 4 speed auto into those? What year is that one anyway.. 86?

boxen posted:

People swap F23's into Fiero's for greater torque capacity and SMOOTHER shifting.

I can't say I really gave a poo poo about Neons before this thread, but it's really satisfying to see something torn apart and rebuilt by someone who cares about doing it well.

I know this is a super late reply, but... what's funny is GM rated the F23 for around 170 ft/lbs or so, but people bolt them up to the LS4 with no internal mods. They can handle a shitload more power than what GM claims they're good for. So long as you keep wheel hop under control they seem to hold up pretty well, and they're so drat common that when you do blow one up behind a LS4.. go grab another one for $100 from something with a 60 degree pattern.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Same deal with the early Saturn diff pins. Some cars seem to go forever even with power adders and other cars get a clutch drop from the right side of the tachometer and it’s all over.

That was an issue with some Honda gearboxes too, and happened to a roommate's car (I, uh, may have contributed somewhat, we would drive each other's cars occasionally). Think it was mostly the older B series gearboxes.

I killed a few D series boxes too (and an A series once), but it was always the main input shaft bearing that would start howling. On the one that I actually bothered to get rebuilt, they said they had to replace drat near everything inside.. only the casing and a couple of gears were still good. :stare: It still drove up until I took it in, but howled like a motherfucker and was popping out of 5th occasionally. Also said the clutch had most of the springs broken... and was a cheap generic clutch (I had paid for an ACT clutch when the engine was last out - they showed me the clutch that came out, definitely not what I had paid for).

I was a stupid kid and liked sidestepping the clutch with the tach pointing to the right... (now I'm just a stupid adult)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I see a regular Texas plate - a current issue one at that. (I assume that's what you mean by plated; that plate style has been in circulation for 6 years)

TX don't give a poo poo so long as it passes an OBD2 check (only in emissions counties), and the brakes, seatbelt, lights, horn, and wipers work. Oh, gotta have tread on the tires too.

They don't usually care HOW the seatbelts work, so long as they're present and :airquote: working :airquote:. I've seen a rolled Ranger with the top cut off just above the door line (including pillars) that had the shoulder belts bolted to the back wall of the cab a few inches below where it was cut (i.e. they'd just rip right through the sheet metal in a 5 mph tap). It passed our inspection fine once he added a little sheet of plexi where the windshield used to be - solely for the purpose of attaching registration and inspection stickers. :banjo:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Does it have manual everything, a tach, and 4 wheel disc brakes? You got yerself an ACR.

The earliest ones couldn't be had with AC or a radio, but I think that was a 1 or 2 year thing. Most were white, I think a handful were blue (I seem to remember my old roommate's being a later 1st gen in blue, with a radio and AC). On the 2nd gen they offered a lot more variety. Also very stiff suspension, but after 20+ years, I'd expect the factory suspension to be trash.