Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yeah, it broke the ground of dubai, when co-op DFM flew me into it

< :mad: >

also I can't tell if that's real or a photoshop. i don't know what is real anymore :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this is the worst Halloween present

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

yeah, it broke the ground of dubai, when co-op DFM flew me into it

< :mad: >

also I can't tell if that's real or a photoshop. i don't know what is real anymore :psyduck:

Dunno :shrug:

That is the Nagase mascot character they made to hype AH though. So maybe it’s real...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'd take that over the Antares squadron skin in a heartbeat. What a letdown for getting a million points in multiplayer.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Psion posted:

I'd take that over the Antares squadron skin in a heartbeat. What a letdown for getting a million points in multiplayer.

At least the Antares skin is better than flying around in this:

I'm honestly unsure if this was a case of unfortunate implications or an entirely deliberate design.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

thetruegentleman posted:

I'm honestly unsure if this was a case of unfortunate implications or an entirely deliberate design.

Its a mess, is what it is. I've played the poo poo out of Joint Assault, to the point of IIRC getting every special weapon bought at once, and man the Varcolac is poo poo. Its superplane gimmick is that you can install different cockpit bits to change its performance radically, choosing either A2G, Speed, or A2A loadouts. The first two aren't great, the last one makes it pretty much un-flyable, as any movement of the stick will cause you to do >90 degree banks and generally flail about the sky like a drunken kite in a maelstrom.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Psion posted:

It's real. I had to use a tool from the Open Horizon project to unpack the game files, then pulled out these textures specifically. There's no good way to replace any of the original textures with this, so I had to use Texmod, which hooks into the DirectX rendering layer and replaces the textures directly in memory. The actual in-game skins have a few different layers that are stacked on top of each other in funky ways (which is normal for modern games), so it's not good enough to just replace the one diffuse map with the Nagase skin, I had to edit it onto a couple of different textures to get it to show up properly. As a result it's very likely the colours are nothing like how it was intended to be displayed, and it breaks hilariously if you use the customiser in the game to change the skin's colours. I'm not much of a texture artist so it's the best I could do without spending days, if not weeks, figuring out what all the different layers are and properly editing them like an official skin.

I'll be showing it off in a bonus video in the LP, just to confirm it is in fact real and in the game. The things I do for art

edit: I discovered that blog post entirely by accident one afternoon while looking into whether it was possible to get higher-quality textures in the game, and decided that if I couldn't fix the abysmal textures then I'd at least see if I could get that skin to show up in-game. See, all the external aircraft textures are 1024x1024 pixels, and they look like hot garbage. Assault Horizon came out in 2011 and it honestly looks worse than a lot of games that were released before it (Gran Turismo 5 came out in 2010), just because of how much they're stretching the textures over these huge aircraft that you're constantly looking at up close because of the ~*action camera*~. Because of the way the game is packed, there's not much modding potential, relying entirely on hijacking the DirectX rendering layer (Texmod, Reshade), and while there are generic tools to do this they're pretty limited, by performance if not technical possibility.

So long story short I can't make the game look better but I did find some :pcgaming:Exclusive LP Content™:pcgaming:

Makrond fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 2, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's too bad you can't just easily enable it in game instead of having to do weird texture hacky poo poo, because then I could get the Macross skins for the F-14D. You know, the ones that matter :colbert:

I'd also like some way to enable full DLC plane selection for the campaign instead of just in free mission but that's a much bigger issue I'm sure.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's ALIVE! ...though the power of mod nepotism. Keep waiting on the bonus update though. It's coming. In your dreams.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
G o.

D a n c e.

W i t h.

T h e.

A n g e l s.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It is tax season

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

M_Gargantua posted:

It is tax season

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Do you guys mean it this time? This like the third time you've made a 'we're back' post. Going on doesn't assure new comers ever watch, instead think hard to address necessary grievances, especially last session.

E: drat! I must have accidentally deleted h and e when I was doing word association. :negative:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 17, 2020

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

thetruegentleman posted:

Why is it a penis

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Please don't blue balls us again

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

dervinosdoom posted:

Please don't blue balls us again

Don't you mean go dance with the Blue Angels? :heysexy:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You're right, please don't blue angel us again

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Since Jeffrey is loving around with the Archives, I’m just going to bump this keep it safe. I’m still working on compiling the footage for AC5, and then 6 is right behind it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
gdwta

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ah the gift that keeps on dancing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh and I guess if you haven't seen it already, the bonus update for Ace Combat 04 finally went live last week so 04 if finally officially done now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There are only two sure things in life...

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

You only dance with the angels twice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

gdwta

M_Gargantua posted:

Ah the gift that keeps on dancing.

This is the only thing I miss about being a mod.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
天使と踊りに行く

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

nine-gear crow posted:

This is the only thing I miss about being a mod.

Your tyrannical denial of our Seraphic Waltz is over. We are free to tango with our heavenly denizens unto eternity.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Flesnolk posted:

天使と踊りに行く

flesnolk, no flesnolking

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a preemptive dance with the angels to keep this treasure from the archives before all the warcrimes are chronicled

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

flesnolk, no flesnolking

?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

We'll keep dancing with the angels until you finally get around to Ace Combat 7.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Sure, I still need to pay my state taxes this year.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I cannot wait for you to start 7, Crow. It is sublime in its storytelling style, though the pacing could use some work (it’s still VERY good, if a bit rushed in places). At no point did I ever say anything along the lines of “this story BLOWS” or “GODDAMMIT why is the plot so STUPID” during my play-through.

It’s also sublime in its sense of grandeur and sheer “holy poo poo” factor. You run down bombers, then dogfight drones, watch your squadron mate get iced by an enemy ace, try to recapture a space elevator, get framed for murdering a former government official, and it only gets better/crazier from there. It is as insane a plot as any Ace Combat taking place in Strangereal should be and it loving knows it, which makes it even better.

The soundtrack is also excellent. It’s a perfect love letter to the games that came before, especially Assault Horizon (gently caress you, Assault Horizon is underrated and a good game and I will die on this hill goddammit). It is, no loving cap, the best soundtrack to go dancing with angels to. 11/10, best video game soundtrack of all time.

The only pitfalls are that you have to grind to get better planes/gear, but you get so much MRP from doing free missions that it’s bearable. The other is that multiplayer requires PS+ (at least on the PS4), which...eh, I don’t do multiplayer anyway...

In any case, 7 is awesome. I can’t wait for this LP to get to 7.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 20, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

yeah but tell us about the ace combat dog

ace combat 7 has a dog, right?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

sb hermit posted:

yeah but tell us about the ace combat dog

ace combat 7 has a dog, right?

It does, but unfortunately you do not get to pet it, nor does the dog survive. I legitimately started to tear up when that cutscene played. I also believe it’s the story’s only misstep.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I AM for the record in the process of compiling bonus video material for Ace Combat 6, and since no one put in any requests, video 4 is going to be a lot more free form than it usually is. I have also decided to torture Shamrock as much as possible wherever I can

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

:sickos:

Carvor
Jan 13, 2019

Makrond posted:

Psst, hey kid.

Did you know Assault Horizon had cut content?

Painstakingly* restored more than 4 years after it was first discovered, I may be the only person outside the dev team to see this in-game.

It wasn't worth it! :suicide:

*: lazily with 10 minutes of work in photoshop

Just what I'd expect from everyone's favorite entry into the series. Though I'd still rank it above going to dance with the angels.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

HereticMIND posted:

It does, but unfortunately you do not get to pet it, nor does the dog survive. I legitimately started to tear up when that cutscene played. I also believe it’s the story’s only misstep.

:smith:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Like I said, I almost cried when that cutscene played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012