Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

imnotinsane posted:

The premise of this one got me interested so I gave it a read. It was pretty compelling although I think as I got further along it became a little unfun to read all the trauma and how hosed up they all were. Definately one of the better works from royal road.

It also is a self contained story which I have come to enjoy more lately rather than sprawling works that have no focus and seem to lead no where.

It's a good read, I hope more people give it a go

Epilogue sounds good, I'll have to read it when I'm in the mood for trauma. I need more self contained stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

gonadic io posted:

This is the curse of spanning all these genres, there's always some people who doing like whatever is currently going on. Sleyca said that for example during the disaster on the moon chapter a bunch of people previously enjoying the cozy slice of life left the patreon.

I like to think I span a bunch of genres. It's interesting to see my 'core audience' versus the 'churn' people, and when I switched my tiers around, I got a really good chance to see who's my core, and who isn't.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

imnotinsane posted:

The premise of this one got me interested so I gave it a read. It was pretty compelling although I think as I got further along it became a little unfun to read all the trauma and how hosed up they all were. Definately one of the better works from royal road.

It also is a self contained story which I have come to enjoy more lately rather than sprawling works that have no focus and seem to lead no where.

It's a good read, I hope more people give it a go

I’m glad you (mostly) enjoyed it. I think Etzoli was one of the best authors on RR but they’ve mostly stopped posting now. Snipe and The Last Science were both stand-out.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Etzoli went through a rough few years between working in a healthcare-adjacent job during covid and then having her house destroyed, but it sounds like things have recently finally settled down for her a bit.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Finished the first 3 volumes of Beware of Chicken. It's pretty good junk. Love a good liberal humanism triumphs in a genre hostile to its ideas story (makes me think if a left radical implementation of a traditional cultivation setting would even be possible). Definitely felt like the balance tipped a little too far from farming cultivation to straight cultivation in the third volume but that's what a tournament arc will do.

The best stuff as always is minor characters' reactions to the actions of the protagonist. I wish more pulp novelists adopted the Richard Stark structure of sustained protagonist section, sustained reaction section, then back to protagonist, it works very well. The romance stuff is awkwardly handled but you can see the author readjust as story goes on.

Good stuff.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 17, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I’m glad you (mostly) enjoyed it. I think Etzoli was one of the best authors on RR but they’ve mostly stopped posting now. Snipe and The Last Science were both stand-out.

Oh my god you didn't say that the Last Science's protagonist's name was also Alden. This is going to really mess with me reading it lol.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I’m still very early in the series but it seems to me the main thing that would make the world better off is someone killing all the loving gods. It can’t improve until that happens.

I think (implications about the rest of the story, so you should probably not read) it's actually good that it doesn't go there. The gods are basically kept kind of mysterious, and they're also gods, so it would be kind of contrived if the protagonist somehow defeated them with her (gods-given!) powers. Some tantalizing stuff is hinted at, like demons being from some earlier version of the world, but it's kept vague. The same applies to the state of the rest of the world outside Calernia. I think it was wise to keep the scope limited like this, even though part of me wants to know these things.

So instead the goal ends up being to positively change the world in a way that will "stick" (which is difficult, since the metaphysics of the PracGuide world basically encourage everything fitting into existing grooves, and carving totally new ones is difficult - a good example of this is the lengths Cat/Black needed to go to to truly "end" the Dread Empire). So Cat chooses to just focus on addressing a single problem - normal people constantly suffering from the consequences of Named conflicts. Her "new order" in the end isn't that different from the previous one, but you're at least probably not going to see your life destroyed by an ambitious Named, and countries aren't going to go to war in the context of a Named conflict.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm catching up on the RR SupSup chapters.

120: Party Animals
What an amazing chapter. Possibly my favorite of the series. It is absolutely full of wonderful lines. The Hazel drama gets a lot of attention (which is funny because as a character trait, Hazel is very greedy for attention), but everything else is amazing too. The Hazel stuff is also amazing. Everything is amazing. Haoyu deciding he's a party badger get me every time. Everything about Lute insisting his roommates be more normal is hilarious and intensely ironic. Even the food interactions are all pretty funny.

The whole glitter and grunge theme is such a great background commentary on who the Velras are and their function in the story.

121 Avalanche:
In some ways this is another amazing chapter, and in others I could have done without it. A lot of it is just reinforcing things that were already visible in the previous chapter. The Velra family threw a party nominally for one of the family members, but paid not only no attention to that person's preferences, but actually managed to be directly contrary in almost every particular mentioned. It's incredibly on brand. Which of course seems to be the point of the party, not for the supposed birthday boy, but rather to reinforce the family brand as rich and interesting and powerful people.

near end of chapter spoilers I did not see the ending coming, but in retrospect, it seems almost inevitable. And it was forshadowed so, so, so heavily. There are so many lines in this and previous episodes that readers can refer back to, to see the potential for something like this happening. Until finally the avalanche comes crashing down. It really couldn't have happened to more deserving people either.

In between the extremes of the opening and (almost) end of the chapter, there are a ton of good lines here too. Haoyu once again has some of my favorite, including this exchange:

“He talked,” Lexi said in a sullen voice. “He mistook my silence for me being a good listener.”

“If you remembered everything he said, doesn’t that make you a good listener?” [said by Haoyu]

The Santa Clause bit was good, and the thing about Alden's multi-page essay was so fun I had to share it out of context with my friends.

It was heart-warming, as always, to see Alden relaxing a bit. Finally. Although in context that scene feels somewhat morbid. I'm not sure morbid is precisely the right word, but something about the scene is unsettling. Almost Jaws like.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SupSup 140:
I love Jeffy so much

quote:

“Listen, Jeffrey,”
“Jeffy’s not short for Jeffrey.”
“It doesn’t matter. Now listen.”
“It’s long for Jeff.”
Reinhard’s mouth closed.
“A lot of people make that mistake,” said Jeffy. “I don’t mind or anything.”

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Arkendrithyst ended last week and I am sad. Any recommendations of similar stories of similar quality? Haven't seen much good new stuff lately on Royal Road.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Not an Arkendrithyst replacement, but I've been enjoying this slice of life series recently. So far it's been entirely chill and charming.
Except for that one chapter with the recursive murder. And even that was kind of cute.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46868/reincarnated-into-a-time-loop-dungeon-as-a-lvl100

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skill Thief 42 - This chapter recreates a scene from the game Yakuza 0!

Great chapter that had me tearing up some. This series has done an amazing job of developing the relationship between the protagonist and his companions.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Peachfart posted:

Arkendrithyst ended last week and I am sad. Any recommendations of similar stories of similar quality? Haven't seen much good new stuff lately on Royal Road.

Has there been any noises about an Amazon or ebook release?

Reading back through the thread, people seemed to really like this one.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Has there been any noises about an Amazon or ebook release?

Reading back through the thread, people seemed to really like this one.

Last patreon post mentions book 1 being edited and put on Amazon (not KU), so should be ebooks eventually.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Maguoob posted:

Last patreon post mentions book 1 being edited and put on Amazon (not KU), so should be ebooks eventually.

Yeah, Arcs has said he won't do KU because he wants the story to remain free for people. It is on Royal Road though, and the story is great.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Btw, found a newish story called Downtown Druid. It is decent, with no egregious spelling or grammar errors, a decent sense of pacing, and an interesting plot. Royal Road is up to chapter 57, updates 3 times a week. I went through it over the last 2 days and I enjoyed it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TWI Patreon: Well. I don't know if I'm a bad reader or what, but I really didn't expect this particular twist. Wonder who the gently caress this is?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
You'd think it was out of nowhere but the Discord has been at each other's throats for the last week because a bunch of them had caught on and were trying to convince others of what seemed like an utterly batshit theory. They also had a pretty good idea of who it is.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Peachfart posted:

Yeah, Arcs has said he won't do KU because he wants the story to remain free for people. It is on Royal Road though, and the story is great.

hmm the only problem I have with not doing KU is that the income is so good that it means the series is far more likely to be published completely as an ebook

The Gods are Bastards stalled out at book 1

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
TWI patreon: Little sheep in the big leagues lmao

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

TWI Patreon: Well. I don't know if I'm a bad reader or what, but I really didn't expect this particular twist. Wonder who the gently caress this is?

Gotta be Nerry. now where the gently caress is Erin!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Katalepsis Arc 16

I really enjoyed the goofy "Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion" that Heather was just done with.
Also, really liked the fireside chat with old man Hringewindla. He was very sweet. Just wanted to chat about all the cool stuff he found in his youthful journeys and the friends he made.
Evelyn is waaaaay more touchy than she ever was before.
Heather keeps collecting cults who see her as a god or a priestess to one. This will definitely not have any bad implications in the future.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
super supportive: I thought I had like ten more chapters to go. Oh well. Jeffy rules

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
TWI Patreon I think one of the biggest giveaways that people (including the characters!) missed was the Death of Magic using like a Tier 7+ polymorph spell on “Erin”. Like, it could be anyone under that!

I do agree that it is Nerry, though. I hope we get an update on real Erin sooner than later, though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Silynt posted:

TWI Patreon
I do agree that it is Nerry, though. I hope we get an update on real Erin sooner than later, though.

Dear god it's been staring us in the face from the beginning

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Argue posted:

Lmao, I love pirateaba

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Epilogue was a good rec, dark, not too long, definitely captured something unique in this genre.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Argue posted:

I don't get it it's been too long

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Fajita Queen posted:

I don't get it it's been too long

I meant the beginning of Erin's POVs in v10, I should clarify. It's not Erin, it's a polymorphed Nerry

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

I’m guessing another hint for guessing TWI: not-Erin’s identity is the weapon choice? Crossbow & wand is very Nerry

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Aware posted:

Epilogue was a good rec, dark, not too long, definitely captured something unique in this genre.

Maybe it's because I've never really looked for it but I am surprised there aren't more books with the plot being returning from Narnia and how this great big adventure had truly messed up your life.

Well I guess I kinda know why there isn't more, I don't think it's super fun to read or write about the adventures of PTSD.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm not a patreon but the spoilered stuff for TWI is hilarious and I'm gonna be hooting and hollering if it's accurate. hope she gets her tower built

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
SupSup public 128: I love the callback to hero tryouts where Alden was informed about the lethality of stiff fishing line around speedsters. Get wrecked Winston.

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

Thinking back on it now I wonder if that TWI: goblin encounter in the woods was related to Erin’s whereabouts, and possibly an attempt to relay a message from her. Now I almost want to go back and reread that whole chapter from this new perspective.

Kyoujin posted:

SupSup public 128: I love the callback to hero tryouts where Alden was informed about the lethality of stiff fishing line around speedsters. Get wrecked Winston.

There’s also a sort of subtle callback to the recent classmate commentary on how the color of the paracord he used drew attention to itself, making the fishing line less conspicuous in relation to it. I also liked how Max seemed to catch on to what was going to happen and happily played along to gently caress with Winston.

Semisomnum fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 21, 2024

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup141: Well, poo poo is certainly starting to turn worse. Superhuman riots sound like a bad time.

How powerful was the submerger that Earth's system is struggling this hard to cope? How did the druggie Velra get his hands on it?

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Wittgen posted:

SupSup141: Well, poo poo is certainly starting to turn worse. Superhuman riots sound like a bad time.

How powerful was the submerger that Earth's system is struggling this hard to cope? How did the druggie Velra get his hands on it?

Didn't the Artonian Ambassador Assistant say it was a thousand+ years old? I'm also curious how the Velra got a hold of something like that and bet the Gloss was involved.

Edit: wrong name for word chain

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 21, 2024

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Semisomnum posted:

I’m guessing another hint for guessing TWI: not-Erin’s identity is the weapon choice? Crossbow & wand is very Nerry

I mean if you need a sacrificial lamb…

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kyoujin posted:

Didn't the Artonian Ambassador Assistant say it was a thousand+ years old? I'm also curious how the Velra got a hold of something like that and bet the Gleam was involved.

SupSup 141
Yeah, it was over 1k years old, and something the backwater that is Earth should not have managed to get ahold of.

I doubt the Gloss had much (if anything) to do with it. Aulia probably leveraged her many Artonan connections to turn their family ship into an escape pod.

I'm glad Mr. Snake survived.

The trio of girls hasn't had much of a place in the story so far, I don't know what Sleyca's planning on doing with them. Could throw away one or more to die in this disaster I guess. Or they are just supposed to be uninvolved "regular" people to ground our perceptions of the Avowed society.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Wittgen posted:

I'd theorized back when we were getting whatever minor details on Manon's actual work was that smuggling of magical artifacts might have been her actual job there, on the grounds of being able to identify "neutral" items that people wouldn't miss if they suddenly went missing from the university - I'm not sure if this serves as a sign against that theory given the Submerger/Sinker Sender is apparently more important than was thought, but I suppose it's possible the university also didn't realize how old it was?

Personally very curious regarding the thought processes behind some of the actions we're seeing there. The System is ostensibly just going through the preliminary steps of planetary evacuation per Zeridee, but if that's the case why would it remove Emilija's timer entirely? If it's not actually evacuating anyone, and there's no larger problem, why would it be cutting people off like that? Is the evacuation capacity so low that even the planning step involves telling large swathes of people they're expendable? I feel like this is going to result in some very widespread political changes and/or revolts against the Artonans regardless of whether things get worse from here or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 141

I doubt the Gloss had much (if anything) to do with it. Aulia probably leveraged her many Artonan connections to turn their family ship into an escape pod.

I agree, seems the most reasonable read by far that Aulia was given it by the Palace for keeping all of earth's chainers alive during a disaster or something (since the loss of all of earth's chainers would be a disaster for the palace) and then Orpheus stole and sold it as we saw.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The trio of girls hasn't had much of a place in the story so far, I don't know what Sleyca's planning on doing with them. Could throw away one or more to die in this disaster I guess. Or they are just supposed to be uninvolved "regular" people to ground our perceptions of the Avowed society.

Dead as a doornail imo, at least Emilija. The reason I say this is because quite a lot of this chapter's theme seems to be people realising that perhaps colonialism isn't good and perhaps the Artonans are not as benevolent as they have appeared, something that has previously only been subtext (other than e.g. Gorgon's statements). Emilia getting fridged, and Natalie tearfully telling Alden and Lute about how her teleport was cancelled by the system, provides a powerful personal connection for the idea that the system is in fact bad.