Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
SS141 I really hope Emilija is a fakeout but her timer disappearing while Lute has conflicted feelings and rebuilds some bridges with Vandy is not a good sign.

I did laugh when horny thoughts helped non-system targeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup141: Yeah, I appreciated the funny but empathetic inclusion of Lute's teenage feelings. That's. tough thing to capture since it's so easy to be gross about teenage sexuality.

Also no one has mentioned the most important part of the chapter. We got more Kibby! Hell yeah Kibby rules.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

imnotinsane posted:

Maybe it's because I've never really looked for it but I am surprised there aren't more books with the plot being returning from Narnia and how this great big adventure had truly messed up your life.

Well I guess I kinda know why there isn't more, I don't think it's super fun to read or write about the adventures of PTSD.

Epilogue isn't the only story I've seen attempt it, but it is the only one that I would recommend and there really isn't much you can do with the idea. You can do a power fantasy where the isekai is just semi-relevant backstory, a story about PTSD, or a story where people aren't completely hosed up by the experience and a few chapters in you realize you don't actually have a story.

I guess you could go the Full Metal Panic route and do a few books of mostly lighthearted fish out of water comedy where the person's inability to readjust is played for laughs, only to abruptly pivot into "you've been laughing at a child solder's PTSD this whole time you monster".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There's a short story by Gaiman about Susan titled The Problem of Susan. And then there's, uh... Isekai Ojisan. :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyoujin posted:

SS141 I really hope Emilija is a fakeout but her timer disappearing while Lute has conflicted feelings and rebuilds some bridges with Vandy is not a good sign.

I did laugh when horny thoughts helped non-system targeting.

SS141 Sadly for Emilija, Earth System wants to get Lute and Vandy together.

Earth System just frowning at Lute's instagram messages. "This cannot stand."

vvv It will end up being the case that this is also the real reason why Earth System is being a dick towards Alden. It's mad because Natalie is interested in him and he can't reciprocate.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 21, 2024

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

SS141 Sadly for Emilija, Earth System wants to get Lute and Vandy together.

Earth System just frowning at Lute's instagram messages. "This cannot stand."

when mother was talking about her morality being unrecognizable to regular humans, i never suspected she meant that the systems were shippers

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wittgen posted:

SupSup141: Yeah, I appreciated the funny but empathetic inclusion of Lute's teenage feelings. That's. tough thing to capture since it's so easy to be gross about teenage sexuality.

Also no one has mentioned the most important part of the chapter. We got more Kibby! Hell yeah Kibby rules.

SupSup 141:
Kibby is literally the light that leads Alden to safety in his darkest hour.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

Epilogue isn't the only story I've seen attempt it, but it is the only one that I would recommend and there really isn't much you can do with the idea. You can do a power fantasy where the isekai is just semi-relevant backstory, a story about PTSD, or a story where people aren't completely hosed up by the experience and a few chapters in you realize you don't actually have a story.

I guess you could go the Full Metal Panic route and do a few books of mostly lighthearted fish out of water comedy where the person's inability to readjust is played for laughs, only to abruptly pivot into "you've been laughing at a child solder's PTSD this whole time you monster".

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman plays with this. The protagonist is a fairly pathetic man gets caught up in magical fairy London adventures and his previous life is erased by magic (people forget him, all mentions of him are gone, documents wiped etc). After many adventures involving great personal danger he swears he hates, he wins his old life back - with a upgrade! All his personal and financial problems are solved! And after returning to it and seeing hoe ordinary and normal his life will be from now, he throws it all away to return to magical fairy London adventures.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 141:

His darkest hour so far Bart...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 141:

Sweet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 141: Alden was right about his response to Kibby being bad, at least based off his description. She's obviously terrified of losing one of the only close relationships she has (and the closest thing left to a parent or similar guiding figure). He needs to talk to her more seriously. Has he ever explicitly told her that he considers her family?

I think Alden might not realize that his role in Kibby's life isn't exactly the same as her role in his. He's ultimately happiest as long as she's happy/healthy, but she relies on him as essentially an older family member, and I think direct involvement in her life might be more important to her than it is to Alden (for whom it'd be nice, but he's ultimately satisfied as long as she's happy/healthy, like a parent).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 22, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SupSup 122 (start of the obstacle course, still catching up on RR): Some good dialogue and seem cool action scenes. Everything makes perfect sense, but some scenes were really surprising, e.g. Tuyet being amazing.

I like how it starts with almost everyone agreeing they can't run the whole course on their own.

Prior to this chapter I didn't think much of Tuyet, but it turns out she's actually powerful and her darts are very versatile. "Tuyet was the politest of assassins, and Alden was still kind of miffed that she’d picked him to kill. Twice."

I like how Alden focuses on the positives and seeing this as an opportunity to improve. Even if most of his classmates have a different perspective. I also like how Sleyca found a flattering reason to have the other students "pick on" Alden by focusing on him. Kon basically says he targeted Alden because Alden was so powerful, but does it in a way that sounds complimentary. Way to showcase Kon's social skills!

It was both nice and frustrating seeing Principle Saleh try to comfort Alden. It's nice that she's trying, but at the same time, I feel like her hints would be wholly inadequate if Alden was having as bad a time as she seems to be expecting him to have. She's lucky Alden is so introspective and even-tempered. The wacky personalities of the other B-rank students make a lot more sense in this context - anyone with a normal personality wouldn't be able to survive the gauntlet of lovely personalities the school seems to select for.

The talk about Walker being happy to keep throwing balls at Alden was purely heartwarming, at least.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

To me Saleh gives hints the way she does because she knows that's how Alden will respond. I suspect that she'd have a different way of guiding Jeffy. Saleh and many of the other instructors, to me, comes across as relatively capable teachers.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 23, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

berenzen posted:

To me Saleh gives hints the way she does because she knows that's how Alden will respond. I suspect that she'd have a different way of guiding Jeffy. Saleh and many of the other instructors, to me, comes across as relatively capable teachers.

I suppose that's possible. I guess we have very different reads for the teachers. I've been underwhelmed by all of their performances. Except Plim who is amazing.

Just two chapters later, in chapter 124, Instructor Klein gets, correctly, blamed for contributing to pushing a student to solo practice so hard he set's himself on fire.

That's not entirely Klein's fault, but he's presented as an old, experienced teacher. One who is familiar with what a pressure cooker the school is. Reasonably Søren should have been practicing the dangerous aspects of his skill someplace safe, like the MPE gym. Instead of his dorm room. Klein specifically told him not to practice during his limited time in the MPE gym.

"How do you attack? thought Alden. Instructor Klein’s bark from their first day of class came back to him so clearly the man might have been in the room. And Søren’s embarrassed reply had been...He can make places hot. Focus light to make heat. Just not with much control yet. Clearly."

Sleyca does an excellent job of conveying the seriousness of the injury without it being gory, but that makes it hard to pick out a specific quote that describes just how badly Søren burned himself. Maybe this?

“Some…some of the fabric is…I think it’s stuck to your skin,” Febri said. “And it’s all blistered. You have to go to a healer.”

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 24, 2024

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Slowly catching up on Ar’Kendrithyst and

Chapter 233 posted:

Erick shook his head a little. “Sometimes these numbers are just ridiculous.”

“I agree. That’s why I don’t think about them.”
:emptyquote:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

^ :allears:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

TWI Patreon: Well. I don't know if I'm a bad reader or what, but I really didn't expect this particular twist. Wonder who the gently caress this is?

Ryoka posted:

“—What the gently caress?”

TWI 10.08

While something distinctly felt off about Erin, this was absolutely not what I had assumed. What a fun treat, I'm now even more curious what's going to happen next.
The biggest point of confusion for me is just how much Not-Erin knows about Erin and how it manages to fool every single scrying/murder spell. Poor Niers though!

I appreciated this image in the reddit chapter discussion thread someone mentioned Pirateaba posted

Great stuff!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
And on the Patreon side this Erin sure squares better with the Erin I like to read about! She's still got big PTSD and guilt, handled by Ulvama quite well (props to whoever guessed Ulvama would help knock Erin out of stupor) but hasn't gone all serious like Nerrin.

Also like how this chapter parallels the early part of v1, with lonely survival Erin, down to Minecraft references and lack of sanitary pads.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Supsup Patreon 142 things really starting to flow again hey?

Also from the RR chap, Jacob musing about he'll probably never see Maricel again, turns out he was completely correct!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Some more opinions

Great

Mother of Learning yadda, yadda, yadda you've heard all the praise and it's true. This one was a good one. Like most of time loop stories this worked best when it focused on the shifting ritual of repetition and response. Whenever the circumstances got epic, it lost some of the coherency that made the more slice of life/mundane portions fun to read. By largely containing the big stuff to the final book I think it achieved a graceful ending most progression fantasies don't. Still weird how young the characters are. You can definitely feel the author trying to ignore it as much as possible after realising everyone should be three or four years older. Very glad that the various embryonic romance threads never culminated.

Skipped

Threadbare and Co. I don't think I particularly like litrpgs, so a litrpg that is heavily influenced by Piers Anthony is a straight no. Bland, boring and unfunny of what I did read. Mainly started reading these because I thought the idea of three separate trilogies converging on a final trilogy was a neat structure.

Valnquer The Dragon Unfunny and tiresome. Could not give a poo poo and the "parody" heavy handed sex stuff was gross. Still going to see if Perfect Run lives up to the hype.

Worth The Candle is the only other litrpg on my list (mainly on the back of positive things said about this used to be about dungeon) so I'll see if I can stomach that better. Even though people say it gets sex weird in the later books.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Is no consolidated E-Book a complete deal-breaker for Super Supportive? You can get calibre plugins that do it from RR. It's definitely the best litrpg I've read imo.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I just caught up with Heretical fishing, it started off all right, kinda reminded me of the early bits of HWFWM basically about a guy who ends up in a world with a broken system and he's more interest in fishing than fighting or cultivating.

I think the story kinda runs out of steam as it goes further along but I truely enjoyed the entirety of the first book. Worth checking out if you liked the fish out of water aspect from HWFWM.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know how to embed images in patreon comments?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Is no consolidated E-Book a complete deal-breaker for Super Supportive? You can get calibre plugins that do it from RR. It's definitely the best litrpg I've read imo.

This is the way to go.

I use FanFicFare

Can also set it up to check an email account for updates to series you follow and will download the ones it sees. You can setup the series you follow on RR to send email notifications when a new chapter is posted. I personally setup a one-off gmail account to do this so that I'm not giving it access to my main email. I set that one-off account to forward to my main email so I still know when a story updates.

It's basically a two button click to update calibre's epubs, regardless of how many stories you follow. Huge time saver if you like using epubs rather than reading on the website.

Be warned, stubbing stories will require a hard redownload of the story rather than updating.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

gonadic io posted:

Thanks for the tip, the only thing I want is to be able to read on my kindle.

edit: Hey! This means I can get The Gods Are Bastards in a readable format past the first book!

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 25, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Interesting note on Super Supportive.

Today, March 25, 2024, is the day that Alden is born in universe.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

lol, loving noob

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Some more opinions

Great

Mother of Learning yadda, yadda, yadda you've heard all the praise and it's true. This one was a good one. Like most of time loop stories this worked best when it focused on the shifting ritual of repetition and response. Whenever the circumstances got epic, it lost some of the coherency that made the more slice of life/mundane portions fun to read. By largely containing the big stuff to the final book I think it achieved a graceful ending most progression fantasies don't. Still weird how young the characters are. You can definitely feel the author trying to ignore it as much as possible after realising everyone should be three or four years older. Very glad that the various embryonic romance threads never culminated.

Skipped

Threadbare and Co. I don't think I particularly like litrpgs, so a litrpg that is heavily influenced by Piers Anthony is a straight no. Bland, boring and unfunny of what I did read. Mainly started reading these because I thought the idea of three separate trilogies converging on a final trilogy was a neat structure.

Valnquer The Dragon Unfunny and tiresome. Could not give a poo poo and the "parody" heavy handed sex stuff was gross. Still going to see if Perfect Run lives up to the hype.

Worth The Candle is the only other litrpg on my list (mainly on the back of positive things said about this used to be about dungeon) so I'll see if I can stomach that better. Even though people say it gets sex weird in the later books.

as someone who has read all 3, wtc is so drastically better than the other 2 its not even funny. It also does not try to be funny, so it also has that going for it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

fez_machine posted:

I'll be surprised if you enjoy Perfect Run, since I disliked it for similar reasons to why you seem to have disliked Vainquer (minus the heavy-handed sex stuff part).

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

i was trying to work out how long it would take the real world to catch up to the present in the story, but i realized its a zeno's paradox - as the story time gets later, the amount of time it takes to tell the story approaches infinity, so we'll never catch up. it made me unsub from the patreon, actually- i realized that as much as I enjoy the writing, the frustration of the slow pace annoys me more. we're now (patreon spoilers) in 'man on the moon', except stretched to 6 chapters and still going strong. for me personally this pace is just driving me nuts. I'm going to have to learn discipline and read it in chunks, because it is very good -

from 'lesson one'

quote:

“Actually, it’s spiteful. It made me really angry that the Yipalck Corporation sent Avowed to rescue their own people and made them leave everyone else behind.” [said alden]

Joe shook his head. “Even your spite is nice,” he said in a slightly admonishing tone.

ss 142

quote:

“I’ve thought of another reason I can’t put you down,” Alden said to the dying Artonan on his back. “Terrible people did this. All of this. Whoever attacked Matadero. Those guys who hurt you.”
[snip a bunch of meandering thoughts]

“People like that don’t get to kill someone like you. They don’t get to make me watch you die.”
his spite IS nice!

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
SS142 the auriad slid along his wrist in preparation.

If his auriad was swept away, that will be a big complication even if he's rescued soon.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Katalepsis

What the gently caress is happening????

quote:

Bigger Heather Who Was Still Behind Me And Paying Lots Of Attention reached over my shoulder with a thousand fists.

One of them contained a lemon, for me to snatch out of the air and gnaw on like a frenzied ferret. The other nine-hundred-and-ninety-nine hands of god descended on Zombie-Jan and hit her like the spring-loaded impact of a mantis shrimp claw, multiplied to a perfect number.

The zombie exploded backward in an instant flowering of flesh and bone and viscera, a fountain of deep red, a cloud of expanding intestine like party streamers, a popped cork of brain matter and nerves and powdered organs. The sound was deafening, a meat-world noise, a thousand years of butcher back rooms compressed into one second. One moment, Jan’s mirror — the next, a bloody smear on the pavement fifty feet long, like a meat-truck overturned in the middle of Reading.

All that remained of her was a pair of feet torn off at the ankles, standing a few paces away from Jan.

Edit:
Now Heather is talking in the plural

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 26, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ytlaya posted:

I'll be surprised if you enjoy Perfect Run, since I disliked it for similar reasons to why you seem to have disliked Vainquer (minus the heavy-handed sex stuff part).

To be a devil's advocate, I didn't like Vainquer because it felt like mocking something I either just didn't get or wasn't particularly funny, but I quite enjoyed Perfect Run.

awesmoe posted:

i was trying to work out how long it would take the real world to catch up to the present in the story, but i realized its a zeno's paradox - as the story time gets later, the amount of time it takes to tell the story approaches infinity, so we'll never catch up. it made me unsub from the patreon, actually- i realized that as much as I enjoy the writing, the frustration of the slow pace annoys me more. we're now (patreon spoilers) in 'man on the moon', except stretched to 6 chapters and still going strong. for me personally this pace is just driving me nuts. I'm going to have to learn discipline and read it in chunks, because it is very good -

I kinda agree with the sentiment; (nonspecific SupSup spoilers referencing Patreon) I think Sleyca is still writing great stuff but needs to learn to deal with word bloat, which seems to be a frequent challenge for authors. At the start SupSup was hardly fast paced, but it seemed to just use the words it needed to say what it wanted, whereas now it seems to be taking more and more words for the same amount of story.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I get the feeling that I would have loving loved Perfect Run when I was younger.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

as someone who has read all 3, wtc is so drastically better than the other 2 its not even funny. It also does not try to be funny, so it also has that going for it.

Wtc is good but it’s also pretty heavy. Not popcorn reading.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Katalepsis

What the gently caress is happening????

Edit:
Now Heather is talking in the plural
They're lesbians, Nitrousoxide.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's incredible to me how many people miss this.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Big if true.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I started reading Source & Soul on royalroad and it kind of surprised me how much it hooked me. The setting's magic system taking the form of a card game is kind of silly on the surface but the way the author touches on a bunch of weird ways that impacts the world and the philosophical questions raised by the pseudo-immortality the soul cards can potentially give people is really neat. Plus the two main PoV characters are total dorks that are written realistically as teenagers instead of hyper competent robots which is a nice change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Thanks for the recco. I'll give it a look!