Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Haystack posted:

I get the feeling that I would have loving loved Perfect Run when I was younger.
oh I'm sure I would have been all about the unreadable snarky protagonist when I was thirteen or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValleyOfWalls
Sep 26, 2005

Finished Bioshifter (which recently wrapped up on Patreon). Recommended if you feel like being emotionally devastated by lesbian disaster monster girls in a split isekai/urban fantasy setting. I imagine this criteria probably limits the possible audience here, but it really resonated with me. Reading those author notes though, man… hope they’re doing okay.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

What the gently caress is happening????

Welcome to the back end of arc 19!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Big if true.

I do still sometimes get comments like this. Every now and again somebody will read a few arcs and then say "I like the urban fantasy and horror, but what's with all these lesbians?"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ValleyOfWalls posted:

Finished Bioshifter (which recently wrapped up on Patreon). Recommended if you feel like being emotionally devastated by lesbian disaster monster girls in a split isekai/urban fantasy setting. I imagine this criteria probably limits the possible audience here, but it really resonated with me. Reading those author notes though, man… hope they’re doing okay.

I'm pretty sure Thundamoo varies between "not doing okay" and "very not doing okay".

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yeah i like thundamoo's prose but the contents of their works seem to be kind of wallowing in "terrible things happen to good people who don't deserve it"

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Oh, sometimes the terrible things happen to terrible people as well.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Patreon soup crazy good today

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

RR soup bowl empty!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nettle Soup posted:

RR soup bowl empty!

Sleyca is too busy posting Patreon comments about how she definitely didn't mess up the Patreon chapter title.

Patreon Soup:
Pretty sure that's a knight who just pulled Alden out of the water. Only knights have had their authority described as "massive"

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Does that mean he hasn't used up his priority then because it was denied? They better goddamn save zerrisndnia

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Aware posted:

Does that mean he hasn't used up his priority then because it was denied? They better goddamn save zerrisndnia

Patreon Soup:
I would imagine not. Mother presumably denied the request because Earth made her aware help was already on the way.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Patreon soup I interpret it as mother whispering into a Knight's ear instead of using a very expensive (thus needing to be paid back by Alden) emergency cross dimensional teleport. Then that's a knight's skill messing with time or whatever, a knight's hand picking up Alden, and a knight who has already picked up Zeridee.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Patreon soup I interpret it as mother whispering into a Knight's ear instead of using a very expensive (thus needing to be paid back by Alden) emergency cross dimensional teleport. Then that's a knight's skill messing with time or whatever, a knight's hand picking up Alden, and a knight who has already picked up Zeridee.

IMO, I don't think so.

Alden's request to use his [MOTHER] permission was explicitly denied. If she had done something like it think it would have been "accepted" but then no apparent change to Alden.

Also, this being the knights hearing Alden's authority scream works from perspective of the chapter titles too.

Zeridee's scream was described as "ripples"

quote:

Those ripples washing over him suddenly, so faint but so frightening…
He tensed.
He tensed.

And then we switched from "Ripples V" to "Waves I"
I think "Ripples" and "Waves" chapter titles refer to Zeridee's and Alden's screams, rather than the water.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also, this being the knights hearing Alden's authority scream works from perspective of the chapter titles too.

Soup patreon 143
The trouble with this logic is that Alden hadn't been dragged underwater and screamed yet, had he? Did she just know that he would, or was it an earlier scream from e.g. the end of last chapter?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Soup patreon 143
The trouble with this logic is that Alden hadn't been dragged underwater and screamed yet, had he? Did she just know that he would, or was it an earlier scream from e.g. the end of last chapter?

That'd be my guess.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Soup patreon 143
Oof.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Supsup 143
I'm mostly happy this arc seems to be reaching a conclusion. I can see what Sleyca is doing with it - putting Alden in another high stress situation to make him question his decision and reflect on how he performs compared to many other heroes. But it does feel like it dragged on and on, and that Apex suddenly grew massively to allow Alden to fumble around for ages without help.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sleyca is too busy posting Patreon comments about how she definitely didn't mess up the Patreon chapter title.

Patreon Soup:
Pretty sure that's a knight who just pulled Alden out of the water. Only knights have had their authority described as "massive"

Yeah, seems pretty obvious it has to be the knight(s). Some of the comments speculated it was Jeffy, who we all know has, uh, powerful time slow powers.

I'm not sure that it's the result of an "authority scream," though. It might be (and I won't be surprised if it is), but it's also just possible that the knights were sent to help now that the chaos issue has been dealt with (and/or now that Alden is in actual mortal danger).

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup 143:
Three things I thought of

The knights were able to see how a guy's skill and approach to life combined into his life path. They also know who Alden is. I didn't originally think it was likely that Alden would earn another commendation from this, but if a knight is observing him frantically bending his existence to saving a stranger as he is on the verge of dying, I feel like another bravery in absence of obligation might be in his future.

I think this arc has really shown how much more advanced Mother is compared to Earth. Earth doesn't really understand people at all, and Mother is casually engaging in subtle but effective social engineering.

There is a person off planet who knows that the Velras are indirectly responsible for this disaster. I am kind of afraid to see how Hazel will try and leverage this to her advantage.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure that it's the result of an "authority scream," though. It might be (and I won't be surprised if it is), but it's also just possible that the knights were sent to help now that the chaos issue has been dealt with (and/or now that Alden is in actual mortal danger).
My guess for a cause would be the flyer with a dead not-Alden guy missing an arm getting to its destination and somebody going "hmm, this doesn't seem quite right"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Trip Report

Reading the first arcs of Wildbow's work: Worm and Pact

I wanted to see how Wildbow evolved and whether I could bare his writing style and goddamn two things are readily apparent.

1. Worm has an effective opening arc, no wonder it hooked so many people and didn't let go. Super clear on the stakes and circumstances for the heroine. Multiple well defined choices and problems that entice the reader to read more. Only does what it absolutely needs to do. The exact poo poo you need to open a story.

2. He lost all that magic over the course of writing Worm as the opening of Pact is muddy as hell.

Unsong

Got too annoying too quickly. Lots to like but not enough. I will have to try again at some later point.

The Enchanters

Not a webnovel. Economic use of language rules.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

fez_machine posted:

Trip Report

Reading the first arcs of Wildbow's work: Worm and Pact

I wanted to see how Wildbow evolved and whether I could bare his writing style and goddamn two things are readily apparent.

1. Worm has an effective opening arc, no wonder it hooked so many people and didn't let go. Super clear on the stakes and circumstances for the heroine. Multiple well defined choices and problems that entice the reader to read more. Only does what it absolutely needs to do. The exact poo poo you need to open a story.

2. He lost all that magic over the course of writing Worm as the opening of Pact is muddy as hell.

It's the worst part about his writing trajectory. The first eight arcs of Worm are rough in more than few ways, but the core of what is there is a great story. Taylor's stuff is set up immediately, you meet the key characters quickly, and everything expands from that first night she encountered Lung and Armsmaster. Tighten it up, remove the dumber parts, and it has immense potential. Or maybe had. I think YA is getting couped by romantasy at the moment and superheroes appear to be on the way out.

But if you thought Pact was bad, everything else just gets even worse. Claw is one of the worst attempts at a crime thriller sort of thing I've ever read.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

fez_machine posted:

Unsong

Got too annoying too quickly. Lots to like but not enough. I will have to try again at some later point.

I found that it helps to flip past the chapters with the Kabbalah nerds doing Kabbalah puns.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Supsup public chapters includes notes about a whole series of cliffhangers coming but like is it really a cliffhanger if I don't care about the subplot having the cliffhanger?

"Oh these characters I don't know are in trouble? That's nice dear."

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sibling of TB posted:

Supsup public chapters includes notes about a whole series of cliffhangers coming but like is it really a cliffhanger if I don't care about the subplot having the cliffhanger?

Did you not see the part where it's about to become extremely relevant to alden and friends?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Sibling of TB posted:

This is what I would call “main plot”. Or, at least, it’s Alden as the focus, and the stakes are higher than people getting salty about losing an obstacle course.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Sibling of TB posted:

While trying to avoid spoilers, things are about to happen in SupSup. If you're assuming Sleyca just meant there'd be cliffhangers with the subplot with Jacob, that isn't the case.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm just waiting for Alden to die so we can get to the true protagonist of the serial, Kibby.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Tagichatn posted:

I'm just waiting for Alden to die so we can get to the true protagonist of the serial, Kibby.

RR comment from the chapter that ends with Alden getting the emergency summon to the lake at Leafsong and starting to fall:

quote:

Sleyca
Sleyca
10 months ago

Chapter One:

Ssskkreeark, aka Sophie, examined Alden's mangled corpse. Ah, well. You couldn't really expect long-lasting friendships with humans, could you? Their organs were so poorly protected. This one had been fun for a few days at least.

"I can't believe you finally found an alien that wasn't scared of you," her brother Sreeeeeooook said. "It's a shame. Would slaughtering something make you feel better?"

"Two somethings?" Sophie suggested.

"Oh a party, is it? Well, we might as well make it three then."

Three somethings, thought Sophie as she stalked away from Alden's body. She wondered if she could kill Joe without making it too obvious. It wasn't that she didn't like the professor. She was just sure from the look and smell of him that he would make the most amusing sounds when she chased him across the campus.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I will remind you that Hazel is the only one in Alden's age cohort to defeat a supervillain. She is the obvious real MC of the story and this is all her prequel.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Do you think the horned demon on the stickers in the latest RR update is Gorgon?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nettle Soup posted:

Do you think the horned demon on the stickers in the latest RR update is Gorgon?

That's a good suggestion! He's described as having a full crown of horns from scalp to collar all the way around. I hope SAL doesn't try to destroy his consulate or something.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Weebs, Rejoice: ‘Isekai’ Is Now In The Oxford Dictionary

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Speaking of isekai weebs, Warby Picus of Slumrat Rising fame has a new web serial called Weeaboo's Unfortunate Isekai: The Necromancer's Gacha. It's a fun break from Slumrat and is exactly what it sounds like: a weeaboo gets isekai'd into a game except it's an idler gacha and they don't get to spend any real money. Supposedly it's more lighthearted than Slumrat but that's a low bar to clear.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Mine Lord, which was mentioned a few times a dozen or so pages ago has wrapped up this week. So if you were interested in a completed story it's a good pick. I think it was a pretty well told one, so it gets my recommendation.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Mine Lord, which was mentioned a few times a dozen or so pages ago has wrapped up this week. So if you were interested in a completed story it's a good pick. I think it was a pretty well told one, so it gets my recommendation.

Yeah, it was good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skill Thief's Canvas 43 - Just amazing. I think this could sort of work as an end to an arc? Just an incredible sequence.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Trip Report

The Opening Arcs of Wildbow's work: The rest of Pact, Twig and the first little bit of Pale

Hey, I really enjoyed the opening arc of Pact! Feels like it might lead to Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure style puzzle conflicts which I'm very into. Into the western occultism and esoterica theming. Still not as hooky or as focused as Worm's first arc but I'm on board. Kind of intrigued about how I'll react to its infamous frenetic pace. Twig was much less of a hit for me. The Bloodborne x Frankenstein world is cool but the core conflicts didn't interest me as much. Skipped Ward and the rest of Pale's first act because I plan on reading their predecessors. Overall, what I read was enough to convince me that the drop off in writing quality such as it is wasn't enough to deter me. I've certainly hated far more polished works than Wildbow's.

This thread

Decided to go back and see if there was any gold in the early pages of the thread. Only Into the Mire stuck out and while I wasn't too interested in Pith, I don't have any choice about whether to read it or not. Surprised how tolerable Larry was for most of the thread. I hope Milkfred only checked out the opening chapters of Claw and dipped out, nearly a decade is too long to keep hate in your heart for an author like that.

The list
Here's a list of everything I'm planning on reading that I've put on my kindle:

Wildbow's work (Worm, Pact, Twig, Ward, Pale)
Ar'Kendrithyst
A Practical Guide to Evil
Super Miniion
qntm's work (Ra, Fine Structure, There is No Antimemetics Dvision)
The Wandering Inn
Super Supportive
The Gods Are Bastards
Only Villains Do That
The Flower That Bloomed Nowhere
Lord of Mysteries (I thought I should read at least one mega long Chinese web novel)
Worth the Candle
This Used To Be About Dungeons
Into The Mire
Hitherby Dragons

Started reading but on the backburner
Unsong
The Perfect Run

Read, finished and enjoyed
Mother of Learning
Beware of Chicken

Read but wouldn't reccomend
Andrew Seiple's work (Threadbare, Small Medium, Blasphemy Online)
Vainquer The Dragon

Under consideration
Katalepsis
Practical Guide to Sorcery
Delve
Necroepilogos
A Journey of Black and Red
The Destiny Cycle

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 1, 2024

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tagichatn posted:

Speaking of isekai weebs, Warby Picus of Slumrat Rising fame has a new web serial called Weeaboo's Unfortunate Isekai: The Necromancer's Gacha. It's a fun break from Slumrat and is exactly what it sounds like: a weeaboo gets isekai'd into a game except it's an idler gacha and they don't get to spend any real money. Supposedly it's more lighthearted than Slumrat but that's a low bar to clear.
well I do like Slumrat. so sure. I can give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's interesting, very different.

I seem to remember Twig changed a lot as it went along, moving away from the Monster of the Week stuff at the beginning as the story progressed. I still feel like it's the best thing he's written.

Pact was worth it I think just for the ending.