Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I think it will read much, much better in bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Now is probably one of the best times to sub to Patreon for a month at least.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

RavensDagger consistently puts out amazing, sometimes wacky stuff. I can't stop laughing at the blurb of Ivil Antagonist:

"A warhammer 40k-inspired romcom"

The two do not belong together and I am excited to jump in and see what's going on

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Anyone know if Wandering Inn public chapters are going to be one update behind the patreon like usual, or if they're going to be half a week behind the patreon like usual?

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

Sibling of TB posted:

Anyone know if Wandering Inn public chapters are going to be one update behind the patreon like usual, or if they're going to be half a week behind the patreon like usual?

Even pirate is unsure what they're going to do, their discord ping on release said this:

Pirateaba posted:

@everyone The super chapter is out! Public readers get nothing! NOTHING!

...Do I make them wait till next Saturday? Eh. Maybe Tuesday. We'll see how lazy I feel about the new schedule.

Suffer in uncertainty about the author's laziness! Chapter's out!"

Godspeed that this insane writing gremlin is finally enjoying a little free time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So the Velra yacht normally has a submerger.

That submerger is gone, because Orpheus nicked it during the Lute saga.

RIP the Velras.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Selkie Myth posted:

RavensDagger consistently puts out amazing, sometimes wacky stuff. I can't stop laughing at the blurb of Ivil Antagonist:

The two do not belong together and I am excited to jump in and see what's going on

I'm an easily pleased reader in general, but Dead Tired constantly gets actual chuckles out of me, I love it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

So the Velra yacht normally has a submerger.

That submerger is gone, because Orpheus nicked it during the Lute saga.

RIP the Velras.

Most of them usually aren't on it, especially the most important member, Aimi. (Lute's mom though...)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Selkie Myth posted:

They're a huge mixed bag for me, I couldn't get into Stray Cat Strut at all. I liked the timeloop one, but then it went on hiatus and it turned out apparently it was already a remake of a previous story that got further or something and by now I gave up on that one returning. Checking out Ivil Antagonist now and other than the chapters being way too short to a distracting degree especially with the huge authors notes of links in there, my main takeaway is I am not finding it all that funny or interesting yet. But I am only like 6 chapters in so I'll give it a bit more.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

fez_machine posted:

Skibidi Toilet

This gen alpha youtube animation hit is a web serial and hits the exact same pulpy pleasures of web serials. Change my mind.

Skibidi Toilet is just a SFM/Garry's Mod youtube poop. Its not a new phenomenon at all. Its decades old at this point.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Skibidi Toilet is just a SFM/Garry's Mod youtube poop. Its not a new phenomenon at all. Its decades old at this point.

so you're saying its the first webserial...

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
A modern day Charles Dickens even

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

When did I say it's new? I said it's a hit in Gen Alpha circles.

Also it's only SFM youtube poop for about 5 minutes of its now hours long runtime.

It is now a serious battle for the fate of the world with constant escalation and deep lore web animation.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup 147: gently caress yeah, Joe is back!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wittgen posted:

Soup 147.
Ugh. Talk radio. And things looking worrisome when it comes to Lute's dad. Stuart continuing to be a sweetheart, Iam looking forward to his call to Alden even more; I was wondering if he knew what was going on or not. I bet Esh-erdi will eventually tease him about saving his pet rabbit!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Hell yeah!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 147 Stuart... actually starting to politik? Believing Alden that Joe isn't too bad and deserves a chance of redemption? Just trying to get "the best" help for Earth/Alden?

Also interesting that the wizards were complaining that there's already too many restrictions on summoning humans.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nothingtoseehere posted:

SupSup 147 Stuart... actually starting to politik? Believing Alden that Joe isn't too bad and deserves a chance of redemption? Just trying to get "the best" help for Earth/Alden?

Also interesting that the wizards were complaining that there's already too many restrictions on summoning humans.

I got the impression it was either in the terms of Joe's punishment that he had to do a certain amount of helpful acts or just in general doing one would really help his situation, a legal redemption as it were, rather than trusting that he'd actually do it out of the kindness of his own heart as a moral/ethical redemption.

Also Jeffy rules so hard.

Also triple lol at "we can always tell"-types, despite the note.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 11, 2024

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I like how the new RR chapter of SS has a helpful link to what a pontoon bridge is. I originally was confused because everyone knows what that is, right? Then I remembered that they are uncommon outside of Seattle.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nothingtoseehere posted:

My very tentative theory is that Earth's teleport infrastructure is sufficiently small that there's a functional limit on summonings from Earth which results in restrictions on summoning humans.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup 146: Yeah, I don't think Stuart is doing politics exactly. I think he's worried about his best friend, and he's doing what he can to get a powerful wizard with a vested interest in protecting Alden on the scene.

I don't think Joe's punishment involves a requirement to do good deeds. I think he's just taken such a reputation hit that heroics are the only thing that can get him out of the hole he's in.

I guess it's kind of political of Stuart to accurately see how Joe's self-interest aligns with what Stuart wants.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wittgen posted:

SupSup 146: Yeah, I don't think Stuart is doing politics exactly. I think he's worried about his best friend, and he's doing what he can to get a powerful wizard with a vested interest in protecting Alden on the scene.

I don't think Joe's punishment involves a requirement to do good deeds. I think he's just taken such a reputation hit that heroics are the only thing that can get him out of the hole he's in.

I guess it's kind of political of Stuart to accurately see how Joe's self-interest aligns with what Stuart wants.

Yeah, same. Stuart is, like, the last person I'd think would start trying to manipulate people or play politics. He's noble and invested in the greater good to a fault.

If Stuart is telling Joe that he's alerting him to an opportunity to redeem himself because he's on everyone's poo poo list and no one else would give him the heads-up, I believe him.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I finally got around to reading this and I'll second the recommendation, this is good and fun. (Don't know about 'dumb' or 'parody', I'd with 'deconstruction'.)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, same. Stuart is, like, the last person I'd think would start trying to manipulate people or play politics. He's noble and invested in the greater good to a fault.

If Stuart is telling Joe that he's alerting him to an opportunity to redeem himself because he's on everyone's poo poo list and no one else would give him the heads-up, I believe him.

Sure, but is still a politically astute move to do so. Bring a dishonoured but powerful indervidual back into respectability while being such a honoured position no one will challenge you over it means they Stuart is putting Joe in debt to him favour-wise, and Joe knows this. That's why he's so shocked at Stuart doing it, even if Stuart is doing so for purely altruistic reasons.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

(SupSup 146) One thing I was thinking of regarding the Joe stuff is that Joe might be in a unique position to notice that something is weird with Alden's abilities. He's a Wizard (which I think entails being able to sense how strong other peoples' authority is) who knew Alden from soon after he became Avowed (forget exactly how long; I think a little less than a year?). So he might actually notice the abnormal growth rate of his authority if he encounters Alden (and that growth rate is probably only possible due to Alden's authority sense). Others, like this Knight guy, might not notice because they probably don't have a clear understanding of what levels of authority make sense for humans of Alden's age (or maybe even how old Alden is and how long he's been Avowed).

Then again, it's entirely possible Joe doesn't even encounter Alden. I'm not really sure how Joe will be involved moving forward, since it seems like the peak of the disaster has mostly passed. Maybe Joe is actually going to stick around as part of long-term recovery efforts (which kind of makes sense, since they'll need to rebuild a bunch of magical stuff)?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 146
Alden met Joe the first time within 24 hours of him affixing Rabbit. It was less than 8 hours after his affixation finished since Alden passed out for 16 hours once he started it.

He met Joe as one of the first things he did at Leafsong, after a quick briefing by Bti-qwol and meeting the boaters.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 12, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 146
Alden met Joe the first time within 24 hours of him affixing Rabbit. It was less than 8 hours after his affixation finished since Alden passed out for 16 hours once he started it.

He met Joe as one of the first things he did at Leafsong, after a quick briefing by Bti-qwol and meeting the boaters.

The "forget exactly how long" part was referring to how long it's been since Alden affixed until the present, not until he met Joe. I can't remember the exact number of months he was on Thegund + the time since he returned to Earth.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The "forget exactly how long" part was referring to how long it's been since Alden affixed until the present, not until he met Joe. I can't remember the exact number of months he was on Thegund + the time since he returned to Earth.
Supsup 146
Alden was stranded on Thegund late Feb or early March 2040. "Demon day" and all the Submerger fallout on Earth here was November 17th of 2040. So about 8.5 months since Joe's last seen him in person.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ytlaya posted:

(SupSup 146) One thing I was thinking of regarding the Joe stuff is that Joe might be in a unique position to notice that something is weird with Alden's abilities. He's a Wizard (which I think entails being able to sense how strong other peoples' authority is) who knew Alden from soon after he became Avowed (forget exactly how long; I think a little less than a year?). So he might actually notice the abnormal growth rate of his authority if he encounters Alden (and that growth rate is probably only possible due to Alden's authority sense). Others, like this Knight guy, might not notice because they probably don't have a clear understanding of what levels of authority make sense for humans of Alden's age (or maybe even how old Alden is and how long he's been Avowed).

Then again, it's entirely possible Joe doesn't even encounter Alden. I'm not really sure how Joe will be involved moving forward, since it seems like the peak of the disaster has mostly passed. Maybe Joe is actually going to stick around as part of long-term recovery efforts (which kind of makes sense, since they'll need to rebuild a bunch of magical stuff)?

I'm not sure wizards can sense authority, at least if it's not being actively used. Wizards don't seem to feel Alden moving his Auriad around, for instance.

At most, if Joe sees Alden using his skill extensively, he might sense that Alden is much better at it than he was at Leafsong, but that might not even be a red flag. He's the one that advised Alden to hold off on leveling until he got offered an upgrade, and Alden is at a point where he could feasibly have done so, I think. He might even ask Alden about what the upgrade he got does and have some advice on hiding it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

I'm not sure wizards can sense authority, at least if it's not being actively used. Wizards don't seem to feel Alden moving his Auriad around, for instance.

At most, if Joe sees Alden using his skill extensively, he might sense that Alden is much better at it than he was at Leafsong, but that might not even be a red flag. He's the one that advised Alden to hold off on leveling until he got offered an upgrade, and Alden is at a point where he could feasibly have done so, I think. He might even ask Alden about what the upgrade he got does and have some advice on hiding it.

I was thinking of the times Alden has commented on the huge authority/power of people like Alis, the Primary, or (IIRC) this knight guy. But those might actually all be situations where they used some sort of power on him, so maybe it's not something that can be directly sensed.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TTO:U 158

I guess they don't teach medical ethics on Hylara. Why are all the doctors who deal with Synerves so drat evil?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nitrousoxide posted:

TTO:U 158

I guess they don't teach medical ethics on Hylara. Why are all the doctors who deal with Synerves so drat evil?

I at least understand where Dr. Kim is coming from though. Hylara is a horrifically nightmarish slave state where everyone has been educated by a LLM. The idea is unfeasible but I get the desperate desire to try to even the playing field here.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bremen posted:

Ytlaya posted:

I was thinking of the times Alden has commented on the huge authority/power of people like Alis, the Primary, or (IIRC) this knight guy. But those might actually all be situations where they used some sort of power on him, so maybe it's not something that can be directly sensed.

Sensing authority would be distinct from being able to sense whether that authority (passive or in use) is bound or unbound, no? Being Avowed is all about having and using authority, even if that use is mediated and the Avowed in question can't properly sense it. So authority sense coming with vague and ballpark passive tummyfeels about relative cumulative power level of both bound and unbound authority wouldn't really pose any narrative issues - Alden can pick up that people with moon-destroying (or moon terraforming) levels of authority (much of which is bound) are a Big Deal, and any knights/wizards would clock him as currently existing well within the regular range of authority for human Avowed

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TTO:U 158 - Oh good, glad it's nothing sinister after all. :stare:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

LGD posted:

Sensing authority would be distinct from being able to sense whether that authority (passive or in use) is bound or unbound, no? Being Avowed is all about having and using authority, even if that use is mediated and the Avowed in question can't properly sense it. So authority sense coming with vague and ballpark passive tummyfeels about relative cumulative power level of both bound and unbound authority wouldn't really pose any narrative issues - Alden can pick up that people with moon-destroying (or moon terraforming) levels of authority (much of which is bound) are a Big Deal, and any knights/wizards would clock him as currently existing well within the regular range of authority for human Avowed

SoupSoup Patreon:
His authority amount is clearly very ordinary given, well, B-Rank... but I think the original suggestion was authority growth --- he is much stronger than he used to be, even if lots of Avowed are more powerful still. I suspect you are right about it being only detectable very roughly, though, since otherwise the Quiet Rabbit fake profile thing would be pretty useless on Artona, and it doesn't seem to be described as such. Of course, Joe may be capable of such a feat, since he is supposed to be extremely capable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

OddObserver posted:

SoupSoup Patreon:
His authority amount is clearly very ordinary given, well, B-Rank... but I think the original suggestion was authority growth --- he is much stronger than he used to be, even if lots of Avowed are more powerful still. I suspect you are right about it being only detectable very roughly, though, since otherwise the Quiet Rabbit fake profile thing would be pretty useless on Artona, and it doesn't seem to be described as such. Of course, Joe may be capable of such a feat, since he is supposed to be extremely capable.

Yeah, my speculation is that they can just roughly get an idea of how much authority a person has. So to any random Artonan wizard there wouldn't be anything notable about Alden, since he has a level of authority that isn't strange at all for human Avowed. But Joe might notice the abnormal difference over such a short time period.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Selkie Myth posted:

I thought of you when I was thinking about how ridiculous to make an ad for my writeathon fic. I was going to do the Drake thing about my LiTRPG deckbuilder x zombie apocalypse comedy. Now I'm not sure which meme to use. Also formatting for RR ads is poo poo. but also can I get a shout out

I just got to 25K words so I'm proud, especially since I started on the second of the month. Caravan of Blades

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Nice!

I'm having a lot of fun with the writathon too, it's been good to have a reason to write again, and a deadline to actually post against.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Soup patreon 148: holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Soup patreon 148: holy poo poo

SupSup 148
Lute turning Emilija into a quasi S-rank brute from 10 klicks away

Edit:
Also gently caress Winston. Guy's got Main Character Syndrome so loving bad. And has the extra bad luck of being in the orbit of the actual main character.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 16, 2024