Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Peachfart posted:

Angharad finds out about the murder of Isabel and freaks out, so yes. On her being dumb... well, after she has lost her ability to be a swordswoman, at least she realizes she has literally nothing else to bring to the table aside from her contract.

Huh, I guess I ought to catch up. :stare: The last point I was reading she was on her way to some stupid party in a nice dress and I just got tired

Edit: Spoilers for Pale Lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

shirunei posted:

Is there any program able to scrape Time to Orbit: Unknown and generate an epub? Googling hasn't come up with anything usable by a layman.

Chrome:
https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/webtoepub/akiljllkbielkidmammnifcnibaigelm?pli=1

Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/webtoepub-for-baka-tsuki/

The author is not very good about actually linking the live chapters in the table of contents, so there's usually 2-3 that are live that you can only get to by going to the next chapter.

This should be the links to all of the chapters that you can paste into "edit chapter urls" button in the addon
https://gist.github.com/Nitrousoxide/d52519983d8a7151028905f8f03ff00f

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Chrome:
https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/webtoepub/akiljllkbielkidmammnifcnibaigelm?pli=1

Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/webtoepub-for-baka-tsuki/

The author is not very good about actually linking the live chapters in the table of contents, so there's usually 2-3 that are live that you can only get to by going to the next chapter.

This should be the links to all of the chapters that you can paste into "edit chapter urls" button in the addon
https://gist.github.com/Nitrousoxide/d52519983d8a7151028905f8f03ff00f

Nice thanks. Do you know if this app has the problem with RR where it says something like "do not steal, if you see on amazon report" every three paragraphs? Novelgrabber started doing that and it is super annoying.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

shirunei posted:

Nice thanks. Do you know if this app has the problem with RR where it says something like "do not steal, if you see on amazon report" every three paragraphs? Novelgrabber started doing that and it is super annoying.

I personally use fanficfare for making epubs of RR (which has also solved that watermark issue) but their github indicates they've resolved that issue
https://github.com/dteviot/WebToEpub/issues/1177

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Angharad's big problem is that her story's so disconnected to everyone else while also getting so much time. It's an issue with the whole novel but it really stands out with her. We're the better part of a million words in, these threads have to tie together at some point.

I do love her being an absolute moron though.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Thanks, reading hose spoilers made it extremely unlikely I'll ever read this story again.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

shirunei posted:

Is there any program able to scrape Time to Orbit: Unknown and generate an epub? Googling hasn't come up with anything usable by a layman.

The WebToEpub plugin works from the /archive/ page.

Edit: Oh, this was already answered. I thought I was on the last page.

sloppy portmanteau fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 24, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Extra Extra! read all about it! Patreon SupSup150 is out! Also Sleyca will be doing half weeks about twice a month to take more time off.

Big things are afoot!

quote:

“Joe!?” said Alden, gaping at the screen. “What’s he doing here?”

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Extra Extra! read all about it! Patreon SupSup150 is out! Also Sleyca will be doing half weeks about twice a month to take more time off.

The web serial form of enshittification I see! First they took away my twice a week(minus 10 days every month) pirate, and now I gotta live with less SupSup too. What an outrage.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
lmao. It will be a bit of a bummer to have less SupSup, but it is a good change. Makes it so much more likely that we will continue to get good soup for a long time.

SupSup 150: I love the birth tree thing. That's some genuine, grade A mystical bullshit type magic. I hope we get more of that as Alden gets more wizardly. The divide between that type of thinking about magic and the system focused superhero way of thinking about magic is very interesting to me.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
SS150 I am so incredibly glad that those rioting assholes who tried to keep Natalie and the girls around as cannon fodder or whatever the gently caress may have gotten the Joe Experience. I hope whatever he did took its sweet time wearing off :colbert:

Also glad to see Boe briefly again, gotta say that guy gets the rawest deals despite not being in the orbit of life-threatening disaster as often as Alden has. Appearing naked somewhere you don't know with strangers everywhere around you is 100% nightmare fuel.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

babydonthurtme posted:

SS150
Also glad to see Boe briefly again, gotta say that guy gets the rawest deals despite not being in the orbit of life-threatening disaster as often as Alden has. Appearing naked somewhere you don't know with strangers everywhere around you is 100% nightmare fuel.

also people without pretty bad eyesight might not appreciate this but losing your glasses in an unfamiliar situation is also pretty traumatic. It's why I never really liked swimming parks as a kid.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I am once again asking you to

just give Super Supportive its own thread. At a certain level of popularity that just makes sense for everyone involved. There's really not that much of a downside, and we do this for other popular authors/series in TBB.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Cicero posted:

I am once again asking you to

just give Super Supportive its own thread. At a certain level of popularity that just makes sense for everyone involved. There's really not that much of a downside, and we do this for other popular authors/series in TBB.

This. I'm trying to find other deck builders to shout out in Writathon, and so far I have seen like two. And shouted them out.

So if anyone has seen a good Deckbuilder, let me know.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Angharad finds out about the murder of Isabel and freaks out, so yes. On her being dumb... well, after she has lost her ability to be a swordswoman, at least she realizes she has literally nothing else to bring to the table aside from her contract.

Yeah, it seems like this has all come to a bit of a head recently, with Angharad finally being forced to do some soul-searching.

babydonthurtme posted:

SS150

I also felt like Alden was kind of being weirdly unempathetic about this really bizarre and hosed up situation Boe suddenly finds himself in. I guess it's just reflective of how hosed up Alden's own mental state is at the moment.

I liked the conversation with Jeremy, because it was one of those very understandable awkward situations. Alden naturally felt bad for essentially ranking his friends, but he had completely failed to consider how abnormal his own situation is, where he literally doesn't have any (human) family beyond Connie and his friends. So Jeremy also feels kind of awkward and then they both realize why they each feel awkward and just kind of decide to move on from it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 25, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm not sure I've ever read a truly good one. :( I'm following All the Skills but it's fairly mediocre. Tower of Cards is, I think, still updating.

Caravan of Blades is yours? I keep meaning to check it out!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dream Weaver posted:

This. I'm trying to find other deck builders to shout out in Writathon, and so far I have seen like two. And shouted them out.

So if anyone has seen a good Deckbuilder, let me know.

I think this was mentioned a few weeks back but I'm liking Source & Soul: A Deckbuilding LitRPG a lot

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finished the first book of Pale Lights. I'm only a handful of chapters into the second one, and I'm already liking this one A LOT more than the first book.

I like Song's POV. She's got the levelest head on her and provides a good counterpoint to all the weirdos she's surrounding herself. And her trying to pretend she can't see Tristan's god is funny.

From Song's perspective:
Maryam: She's smitten with Tristan, much to Song's bafflement.
Tredegar: Incredibly earnest and honest. Always listens intently to the lies or half-truths Tristan tells. Easily (though unknowingly) gets the whole ship's male crew smitten with her. Like an adorable puppy that has picked up a sword in its mouth and is trying to play with you.
Tristan: Doesn't trust him as far as she can throw him, which isn't far. Also terrified that one day he's going to go full Saint mode given how in tune he is with his god. She does respect how intelligent and observant he is though.

Re: SupSup talk. I wouldn't be adverse to a separate thread. Though this thread would be pretty dead without it TBH.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished the first book of Pale Lights. I'm only a handful of chapters into the second one, and I'm already liking this one A LOT more than the first book.

I like Song's POV. She's got the levelest head on her and provides a good counterpoint to all the weirdos she's surrounding herself. And her trying to pretend she can't see Tristan's god is funny.

From Song's perspective:
Maryam: She's smitten with Tristan, much to Song's bafflement.
Tredegar: Incredibly earnest and honest. Always listens intently to the lies or half-truths Tristan tells. Easily (though unknowingly) gets the whole ship's male crew smitten with her. Like an adorable puppy that has picked up a sword in its mouth and is trying to play with you.
Tristan: Doesn't trust him as far as she can throw him, which isn't far. Also terrified that one day he's going to go full Saint mode given how in tune he is with his god. She does respect how intelligent and observant he is though.

Re: SupSup talk. I wouldn't be adverse to a separate thread. Though this thread would be pretty dead without it TBH.

It was the same for me. While I like the first book of Pale Lights the second was a definite improvement.

Especially since as you mentioned there are now four POV characters. Extra bonus is that each one of them thinks they are the only sane member of the group despite being their own flavour of weird.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Piell posted:

I think this was mentioned a few weeks back but I'm liking Source & Soul: A Deckbuilding LitRPG a lot

Yeah I binged this and it's very solid. Not the most amazing thing I've ever read but it's very character focused in a good way that ties into how the game works, and the plethora of little setting details that get developed as it goes are a really nice touch.

Plus the game is really neat, albeit probably insanely broken if it were ever made into a real card game.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Piell posted:

Oh boy I've been looking for another one of these that isn't trash for a minute. The last one I got into the author ended up dying right when it was getting really good. Only 10 chappies in but definitely slightly above average so far.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 25, 2024

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea for Pale Lights Book Two You think Song is the sensible normal one, and a few PoVs in you realise she is as weird and has as many problems as the rest of the cast, just hides them better.

also Angeharad annoys people because she just has a very alien perspective to the rest of the cast, having a noble honor culture drilled into her bones. And is good enough at violence for people to accommodate it. The rest of the cast is much more sympathetic from a modern PoV, even Song.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nothingtoseehere posted:

also Angeharad annoys people because she just has a very alien perspective to the rest of the cast, having a noble honor culture drilled into her bones. And is good enough at violence for people to accommodate it. The rest of the cast is much more sympathetic from a modern PoV, even Song.

Also that she is worse around pretty women than a 14 year old boy.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The Flower That Bloomed Nowhere seems to be finishing its "intermission" arc with today's update and I'm excited to see how it's gonna use the new framing from here. It's interesting that of all her classmates (and the order members) it was only Ptolema that Utsushikome ran into before Plot returned. Although I guess it might have been a concession to efficiently deliver exposition/philosophy and general Utsu introspection without pesky inter-personal relationships getting in the way - Ptolema was probably the best option for facilitating that..

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Nitrousoxide posted:

For people not on the patreon, it already is pretty dead, and even worse sometimes I accidentally skip past the parts of the thread that I'd actually engage with if I wasn't scrolling past nine screens of cia documents.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, as someone about to take a break from the patreon a dedicated thread might be nice since it would make it easier to catch up later when I resubscribe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I can start working on an OP. Would we want to make the rule no spoiler tags for patreon chat in that thread and leave this thread for RR chapter chatter? Otherwise I feel like every page would be an SCP article.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

For people not on the patreon, it already is pretty dead, and even worse sometimes I accidentally skip past the parts of the thread that I'd actually engage with if I wasn't scrolling past nine screens of cia documents.

I kinda feel similarly but didn't wanna harsh the vibe :sweatdrop:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm not sure I've ever read a truly good one. :( I'm following All the Skills but it's fairly mediocre. Tower of Cards is, I think, still updating.

Caravan of Blades is yours? I keep meaning to check it out!

A Summoner Awakens is so good. I literally checked to see if the audiobook was being done for book two because that book one man. I hope that I get some traction on Caravan of Blades though.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I feel the impulse to push any actually popular topic off to a dedicated thread is silly and sullen.

If there is going to be a supsup thread, I think making it a patreon SupSup thread would be very smart. Spoiler threads can be useful.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Putting patreon chat in its own thread and keeping public updates in this one seems like it makes a lot of sense to me. I don't follow SupSup myself but I know from other kinds of media behind patreons that participating in and catching up on discussion while following public releases is a lot more tedious in such situations.

That said there is a risk of people feeling like they should post about it in the dedicated thread instead of here and things don't particularly improve for regular non-patreon readers I guess.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's smart, but you have to spoiler the first 3 posts about the next patreon chapter so I can catch up there without being spoiled! (I have a bookmark for this thread so I can read the old comments on the now-RR chapters when they come out)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

It's smart, but you have to spoiler the first 3 posts about the next patreon chapter so I can catch up there without being spoiled! (I have a bookmark for this thread so I can read the old comments on the now-RR chapters when they come out)

That seems like a fiddly rule. As long as the first post after a new chapter says the new chapter is out and then spoils any actual discussion, shouldn't that be enough to stop reading the thread and go check the patreon?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah seems legit.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Wittgen posted:

I feel the impulse to push any actually popular topic off to a dedicated thread is silly and sullen.

My rule of thumb is that a new thread is good for the benefit of the new thread, and the impact on the current thread doesn’t really matter. A SupSup thread would be fun to read, so it sounds like a good idea to me.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Wittgen posted:

This comes off as serious projection maybe explain why its silly and sullen.

After thinking about it there's likely a chilling effect on talking about other serials here since people will feel it just gets lost in the endless black box chat.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

"People are talking about something that I don't want to talk about. That's bad and they should go elsewhere." I have a hard time reading this impulse in any other way. If there are so many posts about one thing that it takes up whole pages, then yeah. It's pushing other conversations out and needs its own thread. That's not happening here. There's people talking about a variety of stories on every page.

Spoilered posts are very visible and thus very easy to skip. So just skip them and post about what you want to post about. If you instead complain about how it sucks that people are using the space to talk about something you personally don't want to talk about, I think that's silly.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Wittgen posted:

*Looks around at the rest of TBB*

Seriously?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

shirunei posted:

After thinking about it there's likely a chilling effect on talking about other serials here since people will feel it just gets lost in the endless black box chat.

I agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Dream Weaver posted:

A Summoner Awakens is so good. I literally checked to see if the audiobook was being done for book two because that book one man. I hope that I get some traction on Caravan of Blades though.

Is that the one with the old man with a cane (Rowan?)I thought that got dropped since I used to follow it then it had delays for awhile before disappearing from royalroad altogether.