Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I'm pretty sure a few people in here recommended Double Blind and while I enjoy it, I feel like a lot of the chapters are too short or not complete. I guess the author is sticking to a word count or something and just ends em when they get near their limit but the last couple of chapters felt like they would have flowed better if some were combined.

Shame about Soulmonger I was enjoying it. I think the story would have been more fun if it just stuck to Earth, chapters of just recreating stuff you could do before but now can't don't really move the plot forwards. When there are plenty of chapters to read its not so bad but if your following along chapter by chapter it feels like the whole story comes to a crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Bhodi posted:

Any idea when the next book of Dungeon Crawler Carl starts? It feels like it's been a few months since the last book ended.

He's released a few chapters on Patreon of the new book although it feels like they are coming out a bit slower than usual.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
That's funny, I haven't seen many in western serials but I have noticed it in a couple of translated ones.

Warlock of the magus world straight up lifts the whole magic system and the forgotten realms pantheon and lore

They all kinda flow together but quite often I'll be reading something and they will chuck in God's from DnD etc but yeah warlock was the worst offender

Speaking of just ripping stuff off I think the worst offender I ever read was 48 hours a day which just straight up ripped the entire run of black sails which I guess I have to give them hats off for the audacity lol - I think everything in that series was ripped off from other stuff. I'm pretty sure it had a smattering of DnD lore too

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Yes, this side story and the previous one were both written by the same author, and considering the last short story was too long and this one is even longer I’m just going to skip it.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Speaking of translated xanxia, maybe it’s because of original language but it always annoys me when they gender words when they don’t need to. You can’t just be a saint or a mage, you have to be a saintess or a magess. They aren’t even gendered words to begin with, no one says saintess Teresa just saint Teresa

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
New updates coming to Arrogant Young Master, hard to remember what happened since i last read it tho. Anyway a batch dropped and supposedly more will be coming in the future

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

blastron posted:

Obnoxious? SYSTEM PROGRESSION FANTASY How do you mean? DARK SUPERHERO APOCALYPSE Seems pretty normal to me. NEVER GOING TO KU

Never going to KU is great because it turns out it is going to KU and the story is being removed from royal road

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I stopped reading HWFWM somewhere around what I think is book 7 and I saw book 9 was recently released so I thought I would give it another go. What happened to this series lol. I guess it was never fantastic or anything but it seemed like now every chapter was a recap of events, not even a story any more.

Also maybe it was because I only listened to one or two audiobooks before I transitioned to royal road when I originally caught up so I tried an audiobook again to see if it would catch my interest and that was a mistake. I have a high tolerance for reading our stats and if it gets too bad I can usually just skip forward a couple of times and the story usually highlights significant changes so it's fine but now? I try skipping forward and I get like 2 minutes of describing a battle and boom I get like 10 minutes reading our the description and options of the moves, then rinse and repeat for like the 8 other characters in this one fight.

It got so bad that I just gave up. Dude must sell like hot cakes tho since not everyone gets same day audible releases but I just don't know how someone could enjoy listening to this.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Audiobooks showed me how little impact they really have lol, thankfully they narrators put a bit of a boring robot voice on em so it's really easy to tell when you get past them while skipping every 30 seconds.

Can you imagine Delve as an audiobook? Now that would be hell. I don't really know who all the text boxes in that are for? Do people even read them?

I really like how outcast handles stat sheets by hiding them at the end under spoiler text on RR. Anyone listened to the audiobooks for them? I feel like they would drag on since they are so long and repetitive

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Oh the soul stuff really dragged on, I guess it's no longer the focus so it's kinda solved but It feels like it's always just treading the water even when it's moving forward. Personally i reckon the story probably benefits from reading it in spurts every 6 months instead of week to week.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I think the most fun I've seen between an author and a narrator is the noob town series, which mind you, is full of meta jokes to begin with. There was a whole section talking about how hard it would be to convey a word play joke out loud and how glad the character was that he didn't have to do that. The title always put me off the series but I wish I had jumped in sooner, it's similar to dungeon crawler carl, plenty of humour and written well enough.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Enkor posted:

Even in Delve the numbers don't matter.

What do you mean? These are hard numbers, i bet they are even in a spreadsheet somewhere lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I gave it a go and fell off it big time, I found Quicksave to be very grating. But I was bored and gave it another go and ended up reading it all. All of his stuff is at least competently written. I did find a lot of the first arc not as interesting, the whole looking for Len stuff felt really juvenile and wasn't pleasant to read. It does move past that which I think I found more interesting.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I read mother of learning when it was complete, I'm not sure I could keep my self engaged with the story on his release schedule of chapters. Maybe I'll read it in 5 years when he's done lol

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
After everyone was commenting about time to orbit I jumped in and the various mysteries and the story as a whole really hooked me.

Just dropping the world building mostly works but every now and then I'm just left confused and skim over it and it makes me think what purpose is this even serving.

I think maybe I'm coming around on Sands although I feel like he will do something stupid in the next chapter and I will immediately go back to disliking him.

One thing I'm really enjoying is we are getting answers regularly and not just new questions and mysteries even if we don't learn everything.

Shame I've caught up and can't binge any more

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Maybe they are non binary, Aspen only seems to be referred to as they. I guess i never really thought about it and just projected Aspen as a bloke but I can't see any obvious gender for them.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I think it still has a books worth of chapters left. I am only reading royalroad but it feels like all the corruption stuff is about to be wound up, maybe the dragon queen stuff will be finished in the next book otherwise I guess it's going to be pretty anticlimactic and finish in 2 chapters.

I really hope there is no new side story again.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
TTOU82: Oh god one step forward and a million steps back. It feels a bit weird that Aspen would interfere with the evidence. This ship isn't going to make it at all

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
We still don't know what the big incident was between Tiny and Sunset, I wonder if this is related to it, some further scheme to discredit Tiny perhaps.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
For numbers go up and system exploitation I enjoyed the legendary mechanic. Sure it has the usual Chinese web novel tropes but I found it an overall fun ride. He basically exploits his knowledge as a player and how the game progresses while also using his experience to manipulate the players to help him achieve his goals. Nice guilty read

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
It's nice to see discussion happening in this thread even if it's not about something I'm reading or enjoying. I don't think anyone complained when the thread was full of wandering inn black boxes.

I guess super supportive is the new thing lots of people like. I just scroll past the posts and just read discussion I'm interested in

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Bremen posted:

There's The Perfect Run, Industrial Strength Magic, Mage Among Superheroes, quite a lot actually. I think Super Supportive is the only one I'd cleanly rank above Worm if you weren't trying to avoid dark stuff, though.

I read Industrial Strength Magic first then Super Minion and it's really clear that Macronomicon was inspired by the world of Super Minion, and Super Minion is just better. Shame that it will probably never be completed.

Industrial Strength Magic also had a month of daily releases so if you haven't check it out in a while it's a good time to catch up and binge on it. While the series is not perfect its fairly enjoyable, although after reading a few of Macronomicon's works they do kinda end up feeling samey.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
What in the world is going on with this murder. Should I as the reader know at this point who was responsible? I think I enjoyed it more when I was binge reading. Maybe I need to let it build up and come back to it

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Look we only have a few things to discuss in this thread, if it's not terrible authors and their bad views, the length of wandering inn chapters, the quality of webfiction, or the amount of spoilers for what ever new popular story is currently all the rage, what are we left to discuss?

Just be thankful this thread doesn't talk about star wars or zack snyder on repeat

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Delve is the true opposite. Numbers go up, story goes no where.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Also someone else does the same thing and breaks their soul, so while it's over for Rain it's not really over. I'm sure 6 months later there will be a random chapter about patching walls but instead of some steampunk submarine it will be super blacksmithing

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Every one and their dog seems to be getting books and audiobooks published, how has worm never got that treatment. It doesn't even appear to be up on Kindle for sale.

Edit: poo poo even Randidley the world dumbest named series got an audiobook.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
How weird, surely he is successful enough that he could pay for an editor if he really wanted to do it.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Look I might be impressed by the size of the turd I just dropped, you might even be shocked as well, but at the end of the day it's still a turd

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Is anyone still reading Mark of the Fool? I dropped it around 600, after all the (big spoilers) traveller's diary/isekai stuff got resolved. Worth catching up?

It's probably an alright time to catch up, it's at the final stretch. This series has always been super slow/primed to pad out patreon so I honestly think it's better to read when you can chew through a bunch of chapters at once. He seems to lift whole sections he has previously written as flashbacks which i guess works in a visual medium but it kinda sucks when the author only releases 2000 word chapters and 1/3 is just stuff we read over previously. Enough of the story has moved forward that you would be pretty satisfied if you started now and caught up on Royal Road.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Epilogue explores what happens when the isekai’d heroes return home to their own world, and the psychological effect that it has on them.

The premise of this one got me interested so I gave it a read. It was pretty compelling although I think as I got further along it became a little unfun to read all the trauma and how hosed up they all were. Definately one of the better works from royal road.

It also is a self contained story which I have come to enjoy more lately rather than sprawling works that have no focus and seem to lead no where.

It's a good read, I hope more people give it a go

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Aware posted:

Epilogue was a good rec, dark, not too long, definitely captured something unique in this genre.

Maybe it's because I've never really looked for it but I am surprised there aren't more books with the plot being returning from Narnia and how this great big adventure had truly messed up your life.

Well I guess I kinda know why there isn't more, I don't think it's super fun to read or write about the adventures of PTSD.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I just caught up with Heretical fishing, it started off all right, kinda reminded me of the early bits of HWFWM basically about a guy who ends up in a world with a broken system and he's more interest in fishing than fighting or cultivating.

I think the story kinda runs out of steam as it goes further along but I truely enjoyed the entirety of the first book. Worth checking out if you liked the fish out of water aspect from HWFWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
A modern day Charles Dickens even