Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Question for the thread: I’m preparing a web serial and I’m writing it now getting a bunch of chapters ready ahead so I can have some time to write then edit ✍️ :bravo2:
So my question is, most of my chapters are close to 1,000-1,500 words closer to 1k usually
Spacing it out should I release them 1,2, or 3 chapters a week? Or just pick an amount and stick to it.
I’m trying to write 7 chapters a week right now to get the world down pat and yeah just wanted to see it from a reader’s perspective.

Related:
I’ve been reading beware of chicken on royal road and it’s been pretty inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Thank you all this has been very helpful. Well let me just try to get fifty chapters ahead cuz drat.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Galick posted:

So I'm plinking away at a story right now and for the authors on RR, how do you market it to get the early hits? And I assume the actual profit from RR comes from linking a Patreon to it for earlier chapters and tiered rewards?

E: oh god that's a page snipe, my bad

I’m doing a ton of review swaps(swap with me!)

And non authors read my web serial now in week 2:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46687/red-mist

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
My book got to #1689 on Royal road after ten chapters,(Red mist)

But my satire book is #4000 with more tiny chapters soooo idk.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

shirunei posted:

Man, I get way too excited every time someone recommends something as similar to forge. It always ends up being trash or only superficially similar. :smith:

As a writer I gotta ask what makes it better than the similar stuff? Better prose? 2 dimensional characters? Something it just lacks?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
My one story I started with 40 chapters and posted 3 a week-it’s been on rising stars and consistently gets great reviews. I write about 4-7 chapters a week for it.

The other one? The spin off, I write about 200-300 word chapters each day but I finally hit the midpoint… that’s a lot more manageable but it’s every drat day, and I didn’t do a buffer. I heartily recommend a big old buffer, because after nanowrimo and this trash novel challenge… I’m just going back to one novel at a time.

That and kids woof. It’s hard to write when you’re slammed at work and at home.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Cicero posted:

300 word chapters? Isn't that equivalent to, like, a single page of text in a paperback? Sounds super tiny to me.

I hear ya about kids/work though.

Yeah. I’ve divided the chapters up into tiny parts but that’s part of the current challenge.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

LLSix posted:

I was reading a proglit story recently where the stats came from nanites. I really like that idea. Can anyone recommend good stories that use that concept? Or play with the source of stats in interesting ways?

Beware of Chicken, since the start of the tournament arc, has read to me like an author struggling to write something he's not very interested in. Which is weird, because he's always done classical style xianxia fights for the animal perspective segments. So it's not like he can't write that way. But he's said a lot recently that he was struggling in his author notes and the story keeps going off on weird tangents.

I’m writing a tournament ish arc for one of mine and it’s the finale and yeah it’s a bear.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I finally finished my two month long web serial. And of course I immediately have an idea for the next volume of what was intended to be a standalone. Anyway it's short, it's silly, it's fish on a stick.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46916/fish-on-a-stick-a-redmist-story

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Narmi posted:

Bit of an odd question, but I've been thinking about this for awhile; authors, how would you feel if someone sent you a book cover fanart? One of the series I'm following on RR wrapped up its first arc, and I decided to make some covers for fun. They ended up pretty nice IMO, and I thought about sending it to the author, but it seems a bit like I'd be overreaching. The series' author doesn't really interact with readers much, so I'm not sure how they'd take it.

I would put it in a planned post and credit the person who made it. Sounds awesome.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Jeez now I am rethinking my Isekai-ed main character is called to be the sect leader of a cultivation school. Alright no school tropes like that. Got it.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Peachfart posted:

I would totally be down for a school from the admin side. And hell, you can put schools in your story if you want to. I just think some authors need to add their own twists on things instead of doing exactly what everyone else has done.

Well I am working on introducing the part where people die a ton during training, but the first four chapters are up here:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/49962/sect-leader-cold-hard-truth-isekai-cultivation

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Jazerus posted:

"sects" in the last sentence of the description blurb should be "sect's"

a bit nitpicky but you need your summary to be impeccable or some % of readers will just assume the whole story is riddled with typos

e: and...the first chapter has tense errors, capitalization issues, odd wording, etc. so maybe that's not an incorrect assumption for them to make. no offense but you need to either write more carefully or (if you can) find an editor

drat like five people checked it and nobody said any of this. Thanks.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Jazerus posted:

hmm well in that case i would be happy to annotate the four current chapters to point out what seems strange to me. i'll pm you a google doc in the next day or two with my thoughts. i can't be your editor long term but i do like the concept a lot so it would be nice to see it succeed.

I appreciate any help you are willing to give!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Fates parallel is free on kindle 1200 jan 25 to 1200 am jan 26 PST.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Larry Parrish posted:

Also re: romance stories for men I guess that's a good point. I would like a romance book intended for me to enjoy but sadly it's rare to see something that's not a frail woman being rescued by the alpha male whether literal or figurative, or a mostly generic stand-in who has 7 girlfriends.

Am I insane for wanting to read regular genre fiction where the two main characters love eachother? Apparently yes lol.

And have a happily ever after or a happier for now
? No not insane.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The Essence of Cultivation
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/34710/the-essence-of-cultivation

Wizard from a D&D world accidentally teleports into a Xianxia world and decides to set up a magic shool.
Very wholesome with a Beware of Chicken feel. But where BoC avoids focusing on the details and mechanics of cultivation and magic, this story has a focus on it. You won't miss out on anything if you just skim those parts though. Like BoC it's about the relations the MC makes with various mortals and cultivators.

Master, This Poor Disciple Died Again Today
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47340/master-this-poor-disciple-died-again-today

Dude transmigrates into a Xianxia world and become the personal disciple of an elder of the Starbound Sect. His master is busy with his own stuff though. So he relies on his friends in an unkind world.

Magic-Smithing
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/31474/magic-smithing

Another transmigration story, this time into a D&Dish world. MC is a girl who becomes a smithing apprentice to a dwarven smith in a small village. She also learns magic and wants to make magic items.
Another friends and family focused story.
Very, very slow story. There's progression in power. She levels very quickly. But I'm 100 chapters in and there's barely been any smithing and she and her wizard friend have only just figured out how to make magic ink and do the most basic enchanting.

The story may be about to go in a completely different direction though as the kingdom she's in has just been conquered and the new overlord is collecting people who are high level or level faster than normal. So it's likely she'll be leaving her village in a few (dozen) chapters.

Also my story is non standard
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/49962/sect-leader-cold-hard-truth-isekai-cultivation

It's about a woman who is isekaied into the top spot at a cultivator school and how she works out all the details of running it after most of the leadership dies. There's aunties, jokes and most of all the path of the thrown sandal.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
This is where I find out that Selkie myth is a goon. drat.

Anyway I finished Red Mist volume one, now I can go back and edit Sect Leader.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46687/red-mist

I'm always surprised that Sect Leader is way more popular than Red Mist. But hey. Anyway LET ME RECOMMEND ALL THE DUST THAT FALLS. It's pretty drat sweet and was on rising stars for a while.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Hungry posted:

Okay then!

Necroepilogos (also on Royal Road) is a far-future, post-post-post-apocalyptic, sci-fi horror story, with lots of body horror and alienation, weird zombie-girls gluing themselves back together, mad science beyond mortal ken, and trying to cradle the flower of companionship in twitching, undead fingers.

I'm very bad at blurbs so I just copied that line from my own website. It's also very lesbian and a bit trans, as with everything I write. Got a really long blurb here. One of my readers recently described it as "infinite fortnite with undead lesbians", which, 1. made me cackle, and 2. is such a good tag line that I need to use it somehow. It's currently updating once a week, on Thursdays; I've been writing it since October, so the introduction is complete and there's a nice big chunk to read now. If you know me from Katalepsis, be warned that Necroepilogos is very different - more violent, darker, quicker, with more of an action focus. A bit less 'lesbian soap opera', though some of that is inevitable.

I'm here for the lesbian necromancers or lesbian soap operas.
In other news, taking a hiatus after finishing Red Mist Volume one is nice, but my brain wants to just finish all of it, so I started writing it again a bit.
However, Sect Leader, which I am currently editing for publication, of course hit 100k views months after being done. ...Yep next book is a LitRPG.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I mean I have a web serial where the main character is a mouse.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I just mainlined BTDEM books 1-3, immediately got the audiobook for four and yes. So far so good. Now to ask Selkie for more shout outs.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Selkie Myth posted:

I have to know what I'm shouting out

Finished book four and that last couple of interludes were like... °chefs kiss°. I immediately began Forge of Destiny because of all these recommendations and drat. It makes my Cultivator novel (Sect Leader) look like garbage. I'm definitely taking notes on this one...and probably buying three more Audible credits so I can mainline books 5-7 of BTDEM... And work on my other books. Hopefully my second Cultivator WIP is nearly as good as Forge of Destiny.

But really five stars.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Honorraes new fic dropped.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/67496/totem

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Forge of Destiny Books one and two are great. I can always tell when something is good... because I buy the next one in the series before I'm done with the current one.

Also finished BTDEM book five and I know as authors we like to torture our characters, but drat Selkie Elaine can't catch a break. It's just one thing after the other. Still good though and I got book six for after Forge of Destiny V3.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Just finished BTDEM book seven and that was a heavy heavy ending.
The night chapter at the end was very thousand year old vampire esque. I have to say that I didn't know where it was going but yeah. I got pretty invested in him and hope he shows up again

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Listening through BTDEM book seven and what a super change in pace but totally Elaine goes with it. I'm loving all the little side notes like the cultivator with a chicken there or "she who fights with monsters the class" and others.

Totally the way to do a homage. Also everything is just so thoughtful.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
"I'm a boy now!" he gasped.
I snorted at him.
"You always were."

:cry:

BTDEM Chapter 46. Thanks for making me bawl in this parking lot.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I did a few trials and when Sect Leader was coming up I could get two 2k word chapters out a week. That's like one 4k chapter. I somehow prefer longer chapters myself but my other one(Red mist, far less popular) is 1-1.5k words. It's doable to do more if you're established but this is with a 2-6 month old and for the Royal Road community magazine challenge.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Finishing Waybound was the zen moment of the year. Also the whole

Yerin getting Isekaied was most wonderful.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Horizon Burning posted:

pretty accurate but i think the yonder version of practical guide is still paused at the end of book 1 for unclear reasons (which was months and months ago, i stopped checking) and some authors on royal road have mentioned that yonder isn't responding to enquiries which might indicate something bad happening there

wildbow's work has great ideas but storytelling that has gotten consistently worse as he's shed fans. guy never capitalised and now he's in that unenviable position of having written way more bad words than good words.

the three goon web serials that are still up (into the mire, katalepsis, not all heroes) are all pretty good choices that're notably better than the average but i don't think any of them are stress-free reads like you seem to be looking for. selkie myth also has one but i've never checked it out.

Yonder works with publishers generally not directly with the authors. Think of it like a sublet from Aethon. (That got chock full of romance.)

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Selkie Myth posted:

RavensDagger consistently puts out amazing, sometimes wacky stuff. I can't stop laughing at the blurb of Ivil Antagonist:

"A warhammer 40k-inspired romcom"

The two do not belong together and I am excited to jump in and see what's going on

I thought of you when I was thinking about how ridiculous to make an ad for my writeathon fic. I was going to do the Drake thing about my LiTRPG deckbuilder x zombie apocalypse comedy. Now I'm not sure which meme to use. Also formatting for RR ads is poo poo. but also can I get a shout out

I just got to 25K words so I'm proud, especially since I started on the second of the month. Caravan of Blades

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

LLSix posted:

I'm reading the print version of "Oh, Great! I was Reincarnated as a Farmer: A LitRPG Adventure." I can't decide if I don't hate it enough to continue reading. Despite the name and the cover art, there is no farming. It's all about fighting monsters with traps.

The action is tolerable and things move along at a good pace. Unfortunately it mistakes being a jerk for being funny.

You really should. The author is a treasure and it builds upon itself in such a compelling way.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Cicero posted:

I am once again asking you to

just give Super Supportive its own thread. At a certain level of popularity that just makes sense for everyone involved. There's really not that much of a downside, and we do this for other popular authors/series in TBB.

This. I'm trying to find other deck builders to shout out in Writathon, and so far I have seen like two. And shouted them out.

So if anyone has seen a good Deckbuilder, let me know.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm not sure I've ever read a truly good one. :( I'm following All the Skills but it's fairly mediocre. Tower of Cards is, I think, still updating.

Caravan of Blades is yours? I keep meaning to check it out!

A Summoner Awakens is so good. I literally checked to see if the audiobook was being done for book two because that book one man. I hope that I get some traction on Caravan of Blades though.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Kyoujin posted:

Is that the one with the old man with a cane (Rowan?)I thought that got dropped since I used to follow it then it had delays for awhile before disappearing from royalroad altogether.

One and the same. It's very well done.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I swear that the ads for it are everywhere. Or maybe I'm just in the spaces that ads for it are appropriate for.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Ytlaya posted:

Skill Thief is the one I've been reading and keep posting about - https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/72327/skill-thief-the-color-of-another-world-litrpg

It's unquestionably the biggest gap between quality and (low) popularity that I've ever encountered. I'm going to be pretty crushed if it ends up getting discontinued, because it's absolutely one of the top few serials I've read (PracGuide is #1 and I'd say that #2 and #3 are a toss-up between SupSup and Skill Thief).

I think it might be hurt a bit by the fact that it sort of advertises itself as a "progression" series while not actually being structured like one. Based off of the title, you'd assume that the protagonist uses his skill thievery to become really powerful, but in practice his progression is far slower and dependent on him being clever and/or working with others. There also isn't much quantification to the various powers involved, despite there technically being a "system."

Probably my only minor criticism is that it frequently does this thing where the protagonist keeps his plans secret from the reader, despite being written in first-person. But this doesn't really bother me because there's usually a good pay-off once his plans are revealed. Despite still being pretty short, there have already been multiple extremely cool scenes where there's some sort of big climax/pay-off to a tense situation.

There's some rule in heist writing where if you detail the plan, then it's destined to fail(detailed before it begins). The obvious thing is that if you don't tell the plan, then it's supposed to succeed. It's part of the genre. As someone who has written a fantasy heist and a sci-fi heist (stealing a spaceship, anyone?) you have to be a little opaque about these types of things.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Selkie Myth posted:

It’s crazy how hard interpersonal conflicts are when people are reasonable and communicate well. Countless conflicts ended by people honestly and frankly talking with people. I suspect a lot of authors find it better to write unreasonable people and have the conflict easily arise there. My favorite btdem “people” conflicts are Augustus vs Elaine over immortality, and Iona vs Nina on morality. Everyone was reasonable and communicated- but the difference in desires and worldview caused conflict

Meanwhile I'm making my traumatized apocalypse deckbuilder babies thirst after each other like they're in a drought.

Interpersonal conflict? No that hunk is my meat shield. I don't have time to argue with Kronk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

cumpantry posted:

imagine making GBS threads on this media diet

As someone who wrote a fiction with a rationalist/EA as the MC, there's an audience there. But also it's a cultivation novel so- also terrible skyscraper sized enemies. Jess, the MC of Sect Leader isn't a particularly good rationalist. (Also Sect Leader is complete, so yeah, enjoy as I take forever to finish the edits for publishing)