Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

sharktamer posted:

Bit of a long shot but is there an iPhone app that lets me read all/any of these?

I've been reading web serials with just Safari in reader mode, it makes it very readable (and usually fixes dumb color schemes). It's not as nice as having an ebook, but it's workable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Thanks a lot for this, I'll by real ebooks from the authors the second they come out but until then this is a good tide over.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Affi posted:

Oh no. I just read a chapter about mating habits.

The only reason I keep reading this story is the author said it was a "comedy" chapter.

But it was just so loving bad and long and cringeworthy. I mean. Ugh.

Help me out here please.
There seems to be a jump between chapters 2.13 and 2.14 that I don't get? Suddenly Ryoka has a 800 gold contract with Teriach and she's visited him again? Is all that off screen or have I missed something?

At the end of 2.12 is when she got the contract.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

who knew that there was such a market for Trapped In An Anime Video Game stories.

You can blame Sword Art Online for that tripe. Amazon's Kindle marketplace is buried under it and other LitRPGs, which are mostly god awful.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

SerCypher posted:

So this is tangentially related to web serials, but I got into superhero stories from Worm and Super Powereds.

I never really liked DC/Marvel stuff, but for whatever reason I'm enjoying this new wave of fiction.

Someone has to be the one....

Wild Cards. It has its ups and downs but at the core is a shared author universe edited at least at the beginning by George RR Martin. Many story arcs, many characters and some of it was great. There's a poo poo ton of books, this series is old.

edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Cards

Has some interesting information, it's literally Martin and friends pencil and paper characters made into books.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 7, 2017

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Velius posted:

Meanwhile the Wandering Inn continues to manage to be surprisingly good at being heart warming.

I had a big dumb grin on my face the entire time reading that chapter.

It was predictable, but after the last few chapters a nice change of mood.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Neurosis posted:

yeah it's amazing what you can do when you have plot armour [still irritated about her beating dragon, that should not have happened].

You have to remember Taylor had more then just bug control from her powers. Her clashes with Dragon worked in her favor sometimes because Dragon herself had hard limits Taylor kept exploiting (even unknowingly/subconsciously).

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Virigoth posted:

TIL my Worm knowledge needs refreshed after reading that. I’m super pumped but it’s been so long I need to refresh from the original. I liked it as an opening chapter and am exited to get this roller coaster going.

You haven't been chain reading it over and over like the rest of us?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Virigoth posted:

I fell off the wagon and read other books. I'm so sorry :effort: I need to run the worm scraper and throw it on my phone to have it available. I just started Twig right before this announcement also.

Worm was good for 1.5 rereads myself. I'm waiting for the edited 'final' version whenever Wildbow finishes it. Between Practical Guide to Evil, Taint and Wandering Inn I've been busy enough with web serials. Twig didn't hook me (rising quality of his writing aside) as steam/biopunk is lower on my list of interests.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You should give twig another shot and stick it out for a few arcs. It took a minute to grow on me and get momentum, but once it got going it never stops

Oh I think I got to arc 10 or so before shelving it. I'll read it someday, just low on my list, I only got so far because I was appreciating Wildbow's constantly improving writing. I liked Pact more then Twig, even with it's pacing issues.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Xun posted:

So I've been reading the Wandering Inn at the recommendation of the thread and while this does make me feel like one of those people, does the christianity thing become more prevalent? Or is the chapter about Pawn finding the light of Jesus the most obvious it gets? I should have more faith in the author trying to write Erin as a christian, but that chapter is giving me flashbacks to the born again idiots that shout that the only way to be cured of our evil sins is to find ~jesuses light~

It's more or less centered around Pawn. It's still evolving as there's a lot of characters to get focus.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Xun posted:

So I just caught up to Wandering Inn, does anyone think that the main character is getting more than a bit..mary sue-ish? It feels like at the end everything she does is so quirky and also extremely successful/profitable/great. Not the mention the eyerolling stuff about her inventing plays. The only consequence she faces for leaving her inn unattended with no word to Lyon is someone says some mean words at her and then five minutes later they're helping her with another quirky plan anyway. Kind of a shame because I like the world building and side characters, and its really only the recent stuff bothering me. I hope this means they're building up to something here.

Half the plot is that Erin gets crazy ideas and has the charisma to sweep people up in them. I think in the beginning there was more resistance but at this point people actually EXPECT them to work out. If you notice with the last idea she had, the veterans of her antics made a half hearted attempt to talk her out of it then just went forward and the newer people were bemused.

As for the acting stuff, you show people a new form of entertainment that's been already polished and you will get people's attention. This was already shown with chess, which she didn't introduce but showed people what you could do at a high level.

It's pretty obvious that the Earth crew 'break' the system frequently with their concepts and out-of-the-box way of looking at things. And frequently they are confronted by an in-system mechanic that forces them to change their view of how things are. Ryoka hit with the hard truth that anyone with a basic running skill will match or beat her, always.

Natives have noticed this, shown by the local Antinum Queen and Lady Magnolia, among others.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Started up Ward the other day, and I'm liking it so far. I'm sure it's been said before, but Wildbow really has a knack for body horror.

How're Twig and Pact? I got into Worm a few months before it wrapped up, and I was so burned at the end—seriously, 1.7 million words?—that I haven't touched any of his other stuff until Ward.

Pact was not liked by a lot of people, partly because of pacing. I personally loved it, not as much as Worm but I thought the way things worked was interesting.
The problem was the story was basically a train that had no brakes. Things got bad, then worse, then even worse, etc. No rest for the main character.

Twig is popularly considered his best work so far, though I dropped it half way through and have to go back to finish it, someday. I enjoyed it, but not as much as his other works. Just too busy with other things.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Pussy Quipped posted:

I liked this latest chapter of Ward and I'm really excited to learn more about our group of misfits and their powers. I wonder why everyone is so afraid of cute little tinker girl?

I hope because her skill set involves something terrifying. Remember String Theory or Labrat (name?) from Worm. Cool tech, would you want to USE it?

Also some tinkers are more guided then others by their shard.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

The new Wandering Inn interlude chapter is insane. I don't even know how to parse most of what happens.

Variations of this have been done many times in fairy tales before, it was nice to see it here. Fitting as well. I especially liked Ryoka's choice at the end.

So that's the end of Volume 3, and a week break before 4 starts up. Reading the author's notes, I feel guilty that Pirateaba feels guilty about taking a week's break.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 30, 2017

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Argue posted:

'm rather a fan of when webserials/webcomics try something that can't be done in print, as long as they don't get too obnoxious with it.

Ashley Cope's webcomic Unsounded does this now and then, not often but when you hit a web comic page that extends past the borders or has multiple sub pages, it's pretty drat nifty. The artwork can reach amazing levels.

Warning: If you think The Wandering Inn is grimdark, Unsounded will make you curl up in a blanket and try to remember where your happy place is.
(We have a thread, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531215 )

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Does Earth Alpha (or whatever the one with few parahumans that Taylor went to is called) still have some communication set up with humans on other Earths? The idea that Taylor would still receive information about events post-Golden Morning via such a connection is kind of interesting.

Speaking of Earth Alpha, was it ever detailed exactly what kind of parahumans they have? I remember it saying they were weaker or something, but I don't remember any actual examples of their powers or anything specifying how many there were.

I believe not so much as weaker but far far fewer. I'm guessing that version of earth was used as a control or something.

As far as communications, I suspect it was totally cut off. Taylor's not-quite-known fate was going to be kept under wraps regardless how it worked out.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

You know, if this is actually true it seems like Dragon has been using her abilities in the dumbest way imaginable.

It’s stated pretty clearly in her early POV chapter she’s working on a ton of restrictions she can’t remove (until Armsmaster hacks her), things like being unable to multitask on projects and she has to obey the government.

When she can let her potential through, you see stuff like containment foam building scale force fields. Her built in weaknesses force her to make her early dragon suit swarm be vulnerable to simple anti-AI tactics.

Saint, being a Tinker 0 can literally outsmart her every time because he knows her limitations and that she’s an AI.

I suspect in Ward she will be bullshit level OP if she wants to be. Notice she and Armsmaster are being total unseen.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Not having similar mannerisms is sort of the point of a disguise.

I think when a Goblin Lord is kill-on-sight to almost everything including possibly other goblins, you want to be forgotten and unnoticed.
The major civilizations send armies to kill Goblin Lords, the Goblin Lord of Blades was thought to be dead. He did the smart thing.

Same goes for the Necromancer's minions. They masqueraded as gold-ranked adventurers for years and had totally different personalities.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Wandering Inn patreon advance update, reading best character Toren chapters leaves me with a dumb grin the entire time. How could a murderous pile of bones be so adorable.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Megazver posted:

The Wandering Inn Volume I is for sale on Amazon now.

Bought it on general principle. Hope it's got some editing / reformatting but either way this is currently my favorite web serial.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Doesn't look like it! It looks like it's just the chapters put into a Kindle file. Like Star Child's release.

It's always struck me as a bad idea to take this approach but, hey, what do I know?

Pirate Aba probably doesn't have an editor. Wildbow got one that's helping with his eBook rewrite I understand, but he is probably more established.
I did notice things I didn't with web version, simply because I immediately activate reader mode on the web browser to give me a easier to read version. The eBook has .... colors.... which I probably missed since reader mode puts everything into black and white.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I suppose charging money for something people can get for free elsewhere is one of the oldest tricks of capitalism.

.... I'm at a loss for words for this. An author, who gives away his/her work for free and says 'don't buy this if you've read it' puts up an option to pay for it for new readers, who can still get it for free.

If you take issue with this, I think you are not seeing where the problem actually is.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Affi posted:

I like her story, its one of two I actually patron because I want to read one chapter ahead. But i'd never pay for nothing.

I actually used that wordpress scraper to turn it into ebooks months ago. When I do that, I make it a point to buy it when it gets an official release.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

TWI always feels like it's about to explore a theme around the leveling system discouraging things which don't give concrete results and how it hampers culture... but then it never does. Plus apparently all that stuff is super good for getting levels??

The drakes should at the very least have a gladiatorial combat tradition.

I suspect the fact that Erin causes so much random chaos around her is the system WANTS people to explore other avenues but so many people are either generic adventurer classes, peasant classes and the like.
She's a catalyst of the classes expanding/evolving. The system is helping her.

It's basically a national secret that having lots of different classes hurts gaining a high level class, and that royalty can remove unwanted class levels. The people that are in the know are not spreading that knowledge to keep themselves ahead.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Affi posted:

Welll yes and no. Having many different classes can also result in getting cool classes like general of the line or druid and crap. I'm guessing there is a manual out there somewhere that all the rich people are hogging.

Good point, we know what classes it takes to become a Druid now.

Also thinking about it, it's not just Erin. Many who've been summoned are going into this without preconceptions and getting 'odd' or really good classes. Doctor/Clown/Emperor/(Pop singer?).... Erin just happens to be doing it to the natives who get caught up and play along with her insanity/enthusiasm.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

navyjack posted:

Now that we’re talking about it, it’s weird how often portal fantasy/self-insert fiction has the protagonist invent “THEATRE” like it’s not one of our most ancient art forms.

About the only time I ever saw it done at all well was in a very otherwise bad Gordon Dickson book.

There was probably a tech/culture die off, probably just after the 'gods' were killed and the system was put in to replace them.

I bet if you went through Teriarch's lair there's tons of art objects.

If the world is being held in a specific artificial cultural period, the arts can also be locked. Remember how much disdain the Faeries had for the system, and looked at Ryoka's refusal of levels as a smart move. Probably taking levels in the basic classes, be it Farmer, Baker, Soldier or Mage may allow some form of mental nudging to keep things in stasis. This is why I keep looking at Erin (and others) as a catalyst for change, since she's basically giving out classes that don't exist or are rare.

She's probably the only Magical Innkeeper in the world.

It could be that there's people controlling the system and there's a split in ideology, someone may be using the summons to create a paradigm shift.

Or Pirateaba could just be winging everything.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
n/m turns out I'm wrong about something.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 10, 2018

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

There's something about TWI that I don't really like, but it's hard to put my finger on it. The best way I can describe it is that I have trouble fully "trusting" the author and feel like there isn't as much of a clear vision for where it's going. This isn't to say that all stories need some clear endpoint, since slice of life is obviously a thing, but if that's the case (and your work isn't just focused on comedy or something) you need to have a really strong handle on the setting/characters (and they need to be interesting). Like, Forge of Destiny is partially driven by reader choice, so obviously there's no set end point, but because the author obviously has an extremely strong grasp on the characters/setting he can still make things feel really natural.

All this being said, it's still head and shoulders above most web serials, but I'd put it below some of the other big ones like wildbow's stories or PracGuide.

Today's chapter was fantastic and I suspect there's more stuff planned out then you'd think. This chapter is a perfect example of a call back to stuff that happened awhile ago suddenly becoming relevant. Also E chapters are fun either way.

All that being said, it's very rare to see stuff planned out too far in advance. I actually have fallen far behind Ward because it meanders too much. Practical Guide burnt me out around the time the Winter court showed up. Though I still kick a few bucks to both authors each month on Patreon anyways, at some point I'm sure I'll bing and catch up.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

Is there an actual plot to the Wandering Inn or does it just meander like I got the impression that it does?

It meanders but it builds up to something and then everything gets messy (repeat). There's probably an overarching plot of the gods being not so dead or returning or the like. The Ants definitely are scared of something.

The Necromancer / Goblin Army thing is still going on as well.

We haven't been getting as many 'mechanics' insights with Ryoka off on her multi volume run. When she pops up again she's going to be one hell of a Checkov's Gun or Dues Ex Machina depending.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Do the Flos sections actually have anything that contributes to the story? I genuinely couldn't get through them- I think I read one or two, but it just came off like a gigantic moron stomping around and having victory fall into his lap in a really unengaging way, so I just started skipped them.

Everything's building up to something big, he's just another log on the fire.

Flos was interesting though, not so much himself as his subordinates. We did get some interesting info about how the world works out of that.
The two summoned kids are sorta boring, though the last chapter involving that area with the exotic weaponsmith will be interesting.

lurksion posted:

Flos is annoying because he's written as super charismatic ... and he's not.

Probably really hard to do that correctly.

Writing a charismatic character can be really hard. I don't think Pirateaba has the experience to pull it off yet.
At the same time, I've been wondering if this is actually intended to feel off. His kingdom and rule completely revolves around conquest. He may literally be able to get people to follow him through a form of mass mind control of some sort, as long as he's on the warpath.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 6, 2018

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
TWI theory Starting to suspect that whatever 'system' is in the background is forcing the goblins to be in this cycle. Rags (and other goblin leaders) are definitely getting some form of psychic/spiritual connection to other powerful goblins, or past dead ones. It would be easy to be manipulated into keeping the cycle going with that level of connection. They could literally be the designated newbie trash race, with occasional outbreaks of a larger threat.
I have no excuse for Larken. He was one of my favorite characters till recently, I'm behind a few chapters as I tend to be when I don't like the direction of the writing. I'm half German/half Polish and seeing the token German guy basically aim to wipe out a race to the best of his ability left a bad taste in my mouth.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI: literally the most :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: chapter possible

I was legit worried we were about to lose the happiest of Ants, but it turns out he really was a special snowflake.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
TWI early update: Every Mrsha the Great and Powerful chapter is a good chapter. Also, Death flags in a web serial format.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

pirateaba is still doing the really annoying thing of outright censoring a 'plan' whenever the characters form it. I can understand creating suspense but the web serial format really doesn't lend itself to creating a mystery to be solved by observant readers. As it is, it's just kind of obnoxious.

Based on last night's patreon early update short story, I suspect that:
A: Pirateaba is a goon
B: Is poking fun at the above statement

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

This time, on the Wandering Inn, its the most boring sport in the world!

A fair chunk of the cast agreed with you, but I think adding magic (or shotguns) to most of the boring sports would make them more interesting.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Gladi posted:

So something strange happened at TWI with the entire chapter being scrapped. I know that there are Patrons here, was it like this even on Saturday or did Pirateaba changed their mind over time?

I'm slightly behind, but there's the now labeled 'non-cannon' chapter up, as well as the re-write link in my email this morning.

I just caught up to the Bird side story and it was everything I wanted.

Also, god drat these chapters are getting long. Pirateaba needs to start to split them up.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Velius posted:

Here’s my two cents. I liked Worm, enjoyed Pact despite the relentless pacing, and burned out on Twig after about 8 arcs which were mostly enjoyable. I made it about five updates into Ward before bailing out. It lacked a compelling hook for me, which is weird given Wildbow’s previous works, and nothing I’ve read here since then has made me want to go back in.

Meanwhile I really enjoy Wandering Inn, Practical Guide is awesome, and I’ve made it pretty far into even fairly mediocre serials like Heretical Edge. Something about Ward just doesn’t work for me at all.

This is basically me. I made it to around the 10th arc of Twig and burnt out on Ward after the Fallen arc. I'm sure I'll finish Twig someday, and return to Ward but I'm taking a break.

I've also put Practical Guide on the back burner, I think I petered off when the Fae started to do things. I really need to get back to this. Wandering Inn, I still love unless it's about Emp or Rags which used to be cool but is just too painful to read.

I'm also off on a wuxia kick and while I will not say the writing of those is anything close to the above, it's got a cheesy campy pull that keeps me reading somehow. I've been marathoning series and that is a lot of words.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 4, 2019

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

It's okay if you like it in spite of it's flaws but it's pretty hilarious to try to claim it has no issues lmao

We get it, you really, really don't like TWI. Plenty of us do. There's no point repeatedly trashing something you don't like here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Wandering Inn stuff

Silynt posted:

Disappointed how things ended with Greydath; even after seemingly endless chapters about Goblin Lords and Kings and questioning what it all means and why they’re monsters, we STILL don’t have an explanation. That leaves some pretty big blue balls.

I still suspect that we have no real elves but a ton of goblins that have a mysterious past is a thing.