Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

pirateaba just posted 3.17 T. You know what that means!!!

:skeltal:

Ooooh, it's released without the 1-month delay for non-patreons since patreons voted for it to be public.

It's a great chapter and I'm looking forward to what happens next. I have to admit that as much as I enjoy reading about Erin, I've had a ton of fun reading the "branches". The Doctor in particular I want to see more off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Exciting things happening in the latest Wanderin Inn.
I'm happy that a character finally called Erin out on being ... well... Erin. I'm curious to see what the Magical Innkeeper class she obtained is and what the two new skills do. All in all, new things happening and a brisk pace!

In stark contrast I'm finding myself bored with The Gods are Bastards; the Author himself posted that he's feeling burned out on writing the story. I think I need to let it build up a backlog for a year and then get back to it. The current arc better than the previous one, but I'm really having trouble getting over the whole "explained" Magic/Sci-Fi he did. :shobon:

I have to admit I didn't expect to get hooked on Web Serials, but having the Wandering Inn, a practical guide to evil (read it, it's good!) and now the new Worm adds a nice amount of things to look forward to during the week. :)

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Silynt posted:

It was the cliffhanger from the chapter before this that I posted about last week, saying "Look forward" to it.... I desperately wanted to say something about the end of this chapter on Saturday, but I didn't want to be that guy posting about the Patreon chapters every single upload day. But now that it is live to the world: that ending really pissed me off. I guess ultimately it comes down to me not liking character death (not a fan of "grimdark" fantasy settings), but this death felt particularly arbitrary. To develop a character over several books, just to kill him because of a child's temper tantrum annoyed the poo poo out of me. But the world moves on, and I assume there is a plan.

I think this is also another lesson for Ryoka [4.28 Spoilers]in that she should NOT have instinctively taunted the skeletons as a reflex. She's been getting better and I liked the scene where she and Erin talked about her past anger management - but that was such a bad move from her.
It was heavily hinted that Pisces sensed something off about the pair of skeletons, so I'm curious what's going to happen next. Hopefully, these latest events lead to Toren getting back to the main branch story somehow, I'm missing her/him. :shobon:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

TWI updated today. It was a double update for patreon subscribers, finishing the mini arc from what would be the public release chapter today.

The last of these chapters is, imo, one of the best chapters she's ever written. I cried a little. It's such a good story, goddamn.

The current chapter with what I assume is Yellow having a form of PTSD making him hostile towards both Pawn and Erin culminating in the first painted soldier abberation, Lyonettes worry about the inns future, Erin not being able to figure out how to handle the goblins and Mishas "Hate Goblins" scene...
This was a surprisingly bleak chapter.

Happy to hear it leads up to a good finale for the mini-arc, but I hope it ends on a happier note. :shobon:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Silynt posted:

The Patreon chapter today is epic, look forward to the battle.
[Wandering Inn]
You weren't kidding - I was fully expecting it to end on a cliffhanger but it just kept going. I'm hoping Jelaqua gets herself a new fresh body and I'm curious what levels everyone will gain out of this.

Loved it and many of the scenes in this chapter. Going to be interesting reading what happens next!

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

It wouldn't make for a good story, but for comedic purposes it would make my day if somehow Cat got saddled with the name of the white knight. It's (not really, but very technically) possible, since she disagrees with Black on a lot of stuff, and she'd be terrible at playing a heroic name. Best of all, though, Akua would be way better at pretending to be good, and show her up at every opportunity.

I'm pretty certain that the White Knight is already in play and that Black+Calamity faced him recently (noting how he wasn't the correct black knight for this white knight to face). Been a while since I read that chapter though, so I might be misremembering.

I think we have a few Wandering Inn patrons in this thread.

That seemed like a lot of comments for a normal update post compared to the usual 10-20. I'm curious but not 5$ curious - Did anything special get asked or discussed? :shobon:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Wandering Inn: The Half Seekers should have died. I like them but that should have been the end of their story.

Non-Patreon TWI: I sort of agree. I like that TWI isn't the most grimdark thing around, but I feel like these last few chapters had a shocking amount of plot armor on the main characters involved. Rags and Pyrite survived, Garen survives, the Redfang goblins, Bird, all the halfseekers (mental health aside on Jelaqua) and Erin lost only a few teeth.

It's not like I mind it too much, but after the deaths of Brunkr, Zel and Tremborag I'm worried the author is going to pull the rug from underneath this warm fuzzy feeling I have when everyone comes out OK. :ohdear:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Aware posted:

TWI... A confusing ride to an underwhelming end. Still, looking forward to volume 10 being less focused on Izril. While I guess the gods have been sidelined for now a bit, it seems like a poo poo storm is erupting in pretty much every other place.

TWI Vol 9 Finale:
I'm... really torn on this volume finale. I had near no investment on the vast majority of players in the Pirates vs Nobles fight compared to Kaligma vs Izril, which was made even more apparent as they came right after the other.
There was also the inclusion of several other characters that I felt had no real place there - they showed up and did basically a cameo. Why was Ryoka there? Nerry? The Horns I fully understand, but the rest felt incredibly shoehorned in and muddied what already felt like a too big cast of characters in the finale. The Earthers are here - acid to the face - and they're gone. Tetriarch is here - Surprise Eldavin (Didn't he get sniped by a Halfing from the moon?) - and they're gone.

Maybe I'm just fatigued by the stakes being so high for a prolonged period of time that I just couldn't get into it. I should feel more "gently caress yeah!" at Fetohep deploying tactical nukes via spells on Rhir/Roshal to help Erin, but I just read it, went "Ok sure" and kept reading without any real emotion about it.
At least it seems to somewhat de-escalate now with Erin heading towards Baleros as a Fraerling and the Horns towards Chandrar.
A'ctelios, the Selphids, Nerrhavia and the decline/reinvention of Khelt are all plotlines I'd like to see more off. Throwing Erin in there while Izril cools down is a great time for it.

The part about "Oh no, the freed Reinhearts are so nasty they smashed a bakers store after not instantly getting their way!" after the stakes going on in the previous chapters was cute.

Overall, a good volume, but I hope TWI calms down a bit in the coming one.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Kyoujin posted:

Super supportive 121 Bye Manon lol. You reap what you sow, I guess.

SS121 Yeeesch. I felt Hazel was potentially redeemable as an incredibly spoiled child that had no chance from the get-go being raised in the kind of enviroment she did, but I didn't expect her to clock Manon in the face with a literal hourglass. .

And now for a week hiatus on RR. Nooooo.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

TWI Patreon: Well. I don't know if I'm a bad reader or what, but I really didn't expect this particular twist. Wonder who the gently caress this is?

Ryoka posted:

“—What the gently caress?”

TWI 10.08

While something distinctly felt off about Erin, this was absolutely not what I had assumed. What a fun treat, I'm now even more curious what's going to happen next.
The biggest point of confusion for me is just how much Not-Erin knows about Erin and how it manages to fool every single scrying/murder spell. Poor Niers though!

I appreciated this image in the reddit chapter discussion thread someone mentioned Pirateaba posted

Great stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Affi posted:

Oh was also looking forwards to ultimate level 1 but it's stubbed.

Wait I think player Manager is stubbed too.. dammit.

I totally get why authors need to stub (Amazon contract stuff and income is vital to keep writing), but it feels really frustrating when you want to read something and NOPE, first 3 volumes are gone. But the author is still posting updates on RR, it's just that you got in too late.

I skipped reading a serial called "The Villainess Is An SS+ Rank Adventurer" for a few months, only to notice that the volume I was reading is now stubbed. Did I enjoy it? Yeah sure. Enough to pay 5€? Eeeeh. Which feels awkward writing it out like that, but.. :shobon:
One day once I've accumulated enough "I wanted to read this, but it's now stubbed" serials I'll just give Kindle Unlimited a try.

With that said, wow did these latest Wandering Inn chapters knock it out of the park.
TWI 10.11

quote:

Ceria stared around at Medain balefully, eyes bloodshot. Then she glanced at Yvlon. Either she was still ‘melted’ from last night or she was being more honest.

“And gently caress that [Innkeeper] too. Last night really put it into perspective for me, Yvlon. What is she doing on the news today? Dancing and fighting a battle in Baleros? If anyone should be weeping for what she did, it’s her. She had every right to call us. But I’ve never seen her just keep going on without mourning the cost.”

I've never wanted a sudden appearance of the new [Pavillion of Secrets] as much as I wanted it at that moment. That in combination with just how bad Erin seemed both in the eyes of Fetohep and Ulvama (not to mention herself) has me really curious how Pirateaba will steer volume 10. It's a great sign that I want to know more about Erin, the Horns, Nerin and Kehlts future at the same time. So many plot threads, aaaaa.