Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Silynt posted:

I think that the Four Armies must be the original Legion/Watch Army, Summer, Winter, and the Knights. With the Watch acting as a cohesive part of Cat's group at the moment, it's hard to think of them as a separate entity for this battle at least, whereas the Knights coming in as a surprise attack sets them apart. At least it seems that way to me. Or maybe a surprise appearance by Diabolist's army of devils. Ranger is obviously the One, because who else could be called the One in a battle with four armies?

I read through the comments section on the update and like half the posts are from people who can't put together that it is Ranger in the hooded cloak in the hills sharpening a sword - 'Maybe it's Scribe! Maybe it's the Bard!'. How can you even enjoy a story if you're that oblivious to foreshadowing? It boggles the mind

legion (pipe cleaner + ranker), callow (15th + knights), summer, winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Twig how close to the end are we? Seems pretty close - I assume it’s not going across the sea.

Practical Guide folks in the comments think the calamities are going to die. Why? I’m just not seeing/getting it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Avulsion posted:

The White Knight and Black Knight are destined to be mortal enemies, but there is no personal connection between Black and the White Knight, therefore he has to die so Cat can inherit the Name and avenge him.

shes not going to be the black knight though, is she? She’s clearly meant for something more.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
It doesn’t have to be the end of all the worlds. Twig and pact both managed to scale that back a bit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Plorkyeran posted:

Worm's first arc really ground your face into Taylor's trauma before letting it fade into the background a bit, so I'm expecting Ward to take a similar approach. This arc has to establish that Victoria has PTSD and make sure we understand what that means for her, but that doesn't mean that her dealing with PTSD will be the focus of the story as whole (even if it is what ends up driving the plot to some degree).

Ya, totally agree that nothing this dude has written would suggest trauma and suffering of characters drive the story.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Stairmaster posted:

I hope rain brutally murders some dudes.

All this build up to him being all sinister and bad to the bone and then he gets beat up by a farmer. His powers seem to suck too. I'm curious to see how they play out and end up being super great.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ytlaya posted:

As mentioned in the last post, I would actually consider the suit greater evidence of Teacher involvement than anything else, since it fits the capabilities of Teacher's tinker-esque students very well; it's something that would be extremely difficult/complex to make (particularly after the end of the world) but not outside the realm of what normal non-tinkers could achieve.

Is it not just essentially a mannequin with the appendages and body drilled out and eye bolts sunk into the insides? Seems pretty simple to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Cicero posted:

New PracGuide (Allegro): Sounds like the Absence demon took its toll (heroes down to twelve).

isnt that just one of the two/now split army camps?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

But... from chapter one?
“I snorted at that. Booker’s skin and hair were as dark as mine: we both had Deoraithe blood running through our veins....

I used the polished copper plate hung up on the wall to make sure there was no blood showing on my face, cursing under my breath when I realized that the blood clot on my lip wasn’t going anywhere. The dark-skinned girl looking back at me from the surface looked like she’d seen better days, I had to admit.

I’d never been what you would call pretty – chin too strong, cheekbones too angular – but the way my dark locks stuck to the top of my head had me looking like a drenched urchin girl. A few strands of hair had come loose from the ponytail I kept them in so I shook loose the wooden clip”

New practical Guide chapter so is she getting a name when she comes back or are we stuck until either a more climactic moment or just never? Was the reference to gods from hierophant about him or about her?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Suppose that cat's body is not in flux because of the strike, but because it weakened her enough that Akua is making a play to take it over, and may, at least temporarily, win.

:respek:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PetraCore posted:

Finally reading Tuesday's Ward and

Boy is Chris's compartmentalization and frantic attempts to keep everything balanced physically and emotionally covering something that's going to have to be dealt with or blow sometime. I don't know if there's better ways to treat the kind of issues he has than what's already happened, though. I mean, he got to be the client of one of the top parahuman therapists in the setting, someone was putting resources towards him, but whatever happened to make his body be literally tearing itself apart doesn't sound easy to fix.

I wonder if he has to change so often not just for the emotional aspect, but because it 'resets' his body? Heals up the damage done by whatever base effect is there? But he's also implied before that changing can make it worse, right?

seems like he’s implying it’s not his power that’s messing up his body, no?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SerSpook posted:

I mean, this does set up her hide literally becoming part of Catherine's cloak. What's a little flaying between enemies, ya know?

SerSpook posted:

PracGuide: So looks like the Red Flower Vales is going well, but that's actually a bit worrying since the first part of a villain's plans tend to succeed. I hope Champion dies. I am uncertain whether the Proceran force led by Pappenheim actually knows the force at the Stairway was driven back. The Praesi have better and faster methods of communicating information after all.

Seems like they're setting black up to die, no? I know there's the rule of threes and all but I think from a story perspective he has to eventually die and he's definitely being set up. Champion on a catapult was a great idea.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Cicero posted:

The ultimate gently caress you to Narrative would be if Black never died during PracGuide and at the end, having delivered many giant middle fingers to the Heavens, he just retires to chill with (what's left of) his crew.

that would be the best result. He already got some kind of extension with Squire transitioning into #404 instead of new black knight so maybe there’s hope.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Prac Guide RIP Black https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChTqYlDjtI

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Ward - kenzie could easily make a camera that sees the wretch, couldn’t she?

Antares is a cool name because according to wikipedia, it also has a wretch that recently changed relationships with it. “Antares has a magnitude 5.5 companion star, Antares B, that changed from an angular separation (from its primary, Antares A) of 3.3 arcseconds in 1854 to 2.67" +/-0.01" in 2006.“

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ytlaya posted:

This chapter of Practical Guide from Apprentice's perspective about him and Archer is funny:

Dude doesn't even know about giant catfish. Jeez.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm catching up with Ward, and Victoria is actually pretty hypocritical in the scene where Chris is getting pissed at her. She reacts in pretty much the same way to Amy being mentioned as he does to her infringing on her situation, but doesn't seem to make the connection. This isn't to say Chris is right to be so angry (though I would say he has more of an excuse, since he's a kid), but Victoria isn't really in a position to be condemning him for flipping out when she entered territory he didn't want her to.

Speaking of Ward, the whole Damsel arc was really great. I like her character a lot, and it was really depressing how everything got ruined for her just as she was finally starting to make progress towards a decent future (since she was already allowing herself to actively think about interacting with Edict in a non-hostile way).

Are we supposed to assume J was just the victim of Damsel's paranoia, or that he was actually working for Accord (the logic that Accord wouldn't let an unpredictable element like her stay around if he didn't think he could control her was pretty solid, especially given how easy it would be to kill her)?

edit: I kind of agree with Kenzie's own evaluation that she's basically a hopeless case. I can't really think of any way to possibly solve her problem. Even Yamada apparently couldn't do anything about it.

It’s not entirely fair to compare getting remade into a horrible, slavishly adoring flesh monster and someone showing up at your house. Even if your house sucks. And you have to change into a horrible monster from time to time.

Also, yeah J got murdered.

Kenzie’s just a broken kid who needs an iron giant dad and a tentacle monster mom.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anything WB does that isn’t constant escalation + everything somehow always getting worse for the protagonist is A-OK with me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SITB posted:

PracGuide: Why is Thief so very bad at this?

Apparently Malicia thinks she’s still fighting a villain.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
PracGuide how much of this is black’s plan?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Wolpertinger posted:

Now i'm curious if heroes need haircuts and villains don't, as her hair beginning to grow again is clearly signifying something.

They talk about self image being the determining factor for black and cat I think. Presumably all of her recent self doubt is causing some issues. I don’t remember the hero/villain aging thing other than black explicitly not aging because of the self perception thing again. Maybe I just missed it though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
PracGuide: Damnit Akua, I thought, you broke the power of friendship.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Velius posted:

Yeah I’m not reading more Practical Guide until the current end of arc stuff finishes. I’m familiar enough with the story beats by now to know it’s going to draw out for a few interludes and cliffhangers, and I’m very burned out on those.

Isn’t this (one of) the fundamental problem with the web serial? Everything is always an escalating cliffhanger to keep you coming back.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Maladictus posted:

New Practical Guide to Evil chapter is up, and it is very interesting. Thread favourite Anaxares, Tyrant and Amadeus all combine to make a wonderful christmas gift. PracGuide on hiatus until January 14th, and next book will conclude the tale.

Anaxares is the best. Going to judge the angels for judging the People. :allears:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ytlaya posted:

Also, I'm curious about what the gently caress is going on with Masego

His dads betrayed him and then, without real resolution, just died for something he thought was stupid in a way that he probably thinks is stupid and unfair for a person and a nation that he thinks is stupid and he wants to be with his friends?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Catching up on ward arc 11, what the gently caress, nursery? :nms:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I've lost my ability to care about Ward. Things are just so unrelentingly grim, I just can't bring myself to care about what happens to any of the characters. At least in the good parts of Worm there was a sense of progression, that the protagonists were making some sort of impact even if it came with costs, but in the last couple arcs of Ward every victory is not only ludicrously hard-fought, but ultimately meaningless. The main characters aren't making things better, they're just occasionally preventing things from getting worse, which I'm sure is a deliberate theme, but it's a theme that's making me not want to keep reading.

I find this to be the same across all his works. Everything is always bad forever and it just escalated from worst to worstest to worstestest forever. I’ve generally actually found ward to be a little refreshing in that while the world may be getting worse, at least our protagonist is getting better.

Compare to Taylor - bullied horribly to supervillain to unnecessarily enslaving all the worlds superheroes.
To Blake - literally his whole arc is downhill starting as a person and slowly disintegrating into not a person and I guess he actually gets a happy ending but man it’s only a happy ending because things have gone so to poo poo that a weird half life in magical wasteland with a monster and ghost kid forever is happy.
To Sylvester - vast majority of NA ends up destroyed, starts a new branch of the thing that’s bad about the world, is going insane while he’s kind of winning the war (but, I mentioned everyone in North America dies right?).

All that said, I still enjoy them. I’ve just had a very different experience with Ward.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I enjoy Ward and think it has character development. It's fine to not like it too.

The real question is what's the clever twist with the name "Ward" and its meaning.
Spoilers for all the names.

Worm - it's the bad guy.

Pact - the pact is he's not real.

Twig - they're the twig that starts a new branch of nobility. Also a reference to america being all overgrown death-forest too.

So, what's ward?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

violent sex idiot posted:

the obvious is : its about protecting the world or whatever. but also its about people who have been institutionalized. all of breakthrough have been in hopsitals or prisons or both

21 Muns posted:

Given the hints about some place capes go when they die, it's possible that that place is itself comparable in some thematically significant ways to an institution (probably more in bad ways than good ones).

I missed that meaning because I was thinking shield but yeah, the place capes go when they die can itself be the ward.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Silynt posted:

Practical Guide

What does everyone think the Bard’s target is? If we take the conversation with Tyrant at his word (BIG if), she started this war in order to target the Dead King. But just like Cat was pondering during that convo, I think that answer is too easy. For one thing, the Bard has been shown to be in thrall to Above AND Below. Why would she target Below’s champion? Instead, I think she’s after a different game, one just as far up on the power scale but not beholden to the Rules of the Game: Ranger.

Ranger is the great outlier, the fly in the ointment, the wild card factor that isn’t bound by existing rules. Of all the players in the game, she is the one least likely to allow the Bard to manipulate her, so I think the Bard is trying to clear her off the board. Any other possibilities?

I think she just wants to keep the traditional named stories going so her goal is to get rid of the folks messing with them. I think that's why she'd like to get rid of Procer. The Dead King is a big story on his own and also very traditional (and powerful). So he gets to stay. Cordelia is not interested in having named be in charge of anything and isn't named herself so I think she has to go. Cat is obviously problematic, but it seems like bard doesn't want to kill her based on https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/2018/08/24/interlude-empires/

Sampatrick posted:

I have no clue how she intends to do it but my hope is that she's after the dwarves or some poo poo like that. Going after a person just feels too small for her.

gnomes?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I know I've said it before, but in prac. guide cat is the hero. Not necessarily in name (although even there I think you can make the argument, it's a bit more stretched), but 100% definitely in role. If you read with this in mind, there are a ton of sort of traditional hero-type concepts that apply to her throughout.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

worms primary themes are actually bullying, and the dangers of distracted driving

Texting kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

rumena owns, grey pilgrim is very stupid for someone who's supposed to be very wise

Dude's used to being the hero.

But he is not. Cat is the hero.