Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is Worm 2 ever coming out?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Just a note - if you convert it for Worm, please do _not_ distribute the output files.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Worm 2 is his next project.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Worm 2 incoming in 2.5-3 weeks.

via IRC

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I dunno if I'm ready for this.

As an aside, I started reading Star Child and it's pretty good. About a kid with space warping powers that has to keep them secret because he lives in an orwellian state. Not really sure where it's going, though.

It's...meh. The premise on which the thing was written is incredibly hard to take seriously in the first place. (Star Child spoiler)Mom had an affair, gave birth, and returned planetside _with the infant_ without any kind of detection whatsoever? Kind of hard to get past.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
new worm chapter

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Nobody respond to that openly, please

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Nope. I don't think Rein did Pact or Twig.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Huh, I didn't know Wildbow was deaf like me. (I haven't finished Worm yet by the way. I probably should.)

He's got hearing aids, but yeah. Major hearing loss.

Megazver posted:

He should have just stopped writing for a few months and edited Worm full-time. I doubt it'd even be a problem with the Patreon people, especially if they got sent re-edited poo poo depending on their contributions.

That's a horrible idea. He's already been editing Worm for years alongside Pact and Twig, and publishing that even in pieces would defeat the purpose of shopping it around for publication. Publishers don't want something that's already been distributed.

He enjoys writing so I don't see why he'd need to spend time away from it.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2017/10/24/glow-worm-p-2/

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Nine segments I think.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Not really up in the air. He planned for ten, but ended up writing one on a day he aimed to write two.

So nine, unless stuff happens again.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Double (kinda) update tonight:
https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/glow-worm-p-5/
https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/glow-worm-p-6/

Wildbow posted:

Note: Second chapter also went up today. I split it into two for coherence, and because neither chapter was going to be long enough to warrant going up standalone. Click ‘next chapter’ to read it. This message will be deleted around the time P.7 goes up. Just three more to go.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Truly, killing a fan favorite character is unexpected from Wildbow.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

She isn't under-powered at all, though. In her first fight ever, before she's even come up with any creative tactics/ideas, she nearly kills Lung, a villain strong enough to fight the entire Brockton Bay Protectorate team.
:raise:
Literally the FIRST chapter has her notebook with three or four months' worth (two hundred pages) of prep getting ruined (explained in 1.2).

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

There were plenty of better powers in Worm. It only seems so good because she's the protagonist and Wildbow is a pretty creative writer. Imagine someone with half the writing skill trying to balance controlling bugs with any of the more broadly applicable superpowers like superspeed or invulnerability.

Depends on whether you count her ability to coordinate the people around her for them to realize more of their potential as part of her power. I think the thinker element is legitimate and even called out a bit in her goodbye before she turns herself in. I think if she had triggered with a different or shittier power but still had that thinker aspect she'd still have done pretty well. Though one wonders how a less effective channel for her to funnel her emotions (compartmentalization is one of her bigger character flaws) would have affected her story.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I just realized that this time next week we'll be reading Worm 2

It's really happening guys

I mean, if I don't gently caress up the server, yeah. Otherwise you'll be yelling at me.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
11:58 tonight

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I'm literally the one pushing the button.

EDIT: Oops. 11:58 Eastern. Almost made y'all wait another three hours. Forty-five minutes out!

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 11, 2017

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Just wait til you read the chapter

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Published. https://www.parahumans.net/2017/09/11/daybreak-1-1/

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
WGW is a good way to get refreshed without reading it again. Good analysis too.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I set up Jetpack, so if you have a Wordpress.com account you can subscribe and get updates.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

irc posted:

14:18 <Wildbow> $roll 1d28
14:18 <+[ATM]> Wildbow [6] = 6
14:19 <Wildbow> $roll 1d49
14:19 <+[ATM]> Wildbow [46] = 46
14:23 <Druza> *Distant panick*
14:29 <OptimusRhyme> lol
16:04 <~Fossil> Hmmm?
16:07 <Wildbow> Oh, I should've done that in another channel, my bad

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

Can someone summarize what happens in the Ward arc zero 10 chapters of chatlogs? Every time I try to read them my eyes just glaze over...

I mean seriously? 10 chapters of farce message boards and chatlogs? I just can't...

It's not essential to read those. If you want a synopsis, ust read Wildbow's: https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/7ckqaj/request_for_a_synopsis_of_glowworm/

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Yep. Seemed like a pretty accurate traumatized reaction to me.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
My read on it was that the game Tats is playing is to vent pressure from public unrest and try to foster another pseudo-cycle of cops-and-robbers

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Not much, just chillin’

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Is it worth powering through the rest of Worm if I'm at 12.1 and my interest is starting to flag? Taylor is quite boring, and I'm rather sick of how she and the Undersiders never seriously mess up or outright fail at anything/how utterly abysmally incompetent all of their opposition (primarily thinking Wards/Protectorate/PRT; obviously Coil etc. are threats) is. Plus I'm not a fan of much of Wildbow's style (too much just bluntly spelling everything out, too much wordiness just for wordiness' sake, seems to have no concept of blocking a scene or making characters talk differently from each other, for example) but from some bits and pieces I've heard about how things get later I'm hoping that improves.

By now I think you should have started picking up on the subtext that implies that Taylor probably isn't as good as she thinks she is and avoids confronting her failures or herself, among other subtleties. If you haven't, then maybe read slower and listen to We've Got Worm as you read through it.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Parahumans IRC? Probably #worm, #ward, or if you want to get pretty technical, maybe #writing. There’s probably going to be one or two people that are eager to jump on and answer while not having high signal answers, but some might (especially if it’s been asked a lot). Expect standard IRC-level :spergin: from people that aren’t WB.

If you can catch WB on a non writing day you might get an acknowledgment or response?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Charlie Bobson posted:

I'm on arc 10 of worm and my favorite part so far is how Taylor refuses to join the Wards because she feels Sophia is loved and supported there by the heroes there, only for a significant portion of the arc immediately after this decision to be devoted to how much everyone in the wards dislikes Sophia and dunking on Sophia in general

Edit: Actually my favorite part of worm is just generally how lovely and hypocritical taylor is in general, and has managed to accomplish exactly zero positive things despite her whole ends justify the means schtick. In particular when she finally accomplishes her stated goal of discovering the undersiders boss only to immediately give up on turning them in because one superhero was mean to her one time and being a supervillain is more fun

Uh-oh Flesnolk, looks like someone's better at reading than you are!

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Directly, publicly insulting me because I didn't like the story you like is uncalled for. Get your head out of Wildbow's rear end, you pathetic sycophant.
:monocle: Well, I never! [taking exception that someone would make an insult] [making an insult] right back at you!

You claimed that the story was both too subtle or too blunt for you, and someone who read less than you did comes along and basically nails it. You got a lot wrong and then blamed it on the author. It's not that I care that you're not a fan, it's that you overextended by pronouncing people's interpretations as way oversold, but you don't actually know what you're talking about. For example, the "theme of cooperation over competition" is actually both affirmed and heavily subverted, and clues about how effective Taylor's power is are in there from beginning (implicitly) to end (where they are called out).

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

So are you on this forum as a form of narrative control for someone else's first draft or what.
What, I can't just chat as a person? My account is nine years old. I'm here because I'm here. Stop beating around the bush and just tell me you want me to get out because I'm being annoying.

Flesnolk posted:

Get over yourself, this isn't exactly Dostoevsky.
Get over yourself. this isn't exactly Animorphs.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Your post history in this thread makes it clear that you're not just a person, though. You toe every party line, push the author mythology, you handle some parts of the upload machine, you set up Wordpress stuff, and so on and so on. I'd be just as concerned if I saw someone doing the same for me under the guise of having a discussion, particularly if they were involved in my creative machine.

I have zero input into or knowledge on his creative machine, but point well taken. I'm gonna step back.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neurosis posted:

yeah what did he do really wrong? he was involved in the cauldron conspiracy but i can't remember any specifics about what his involvement was. the endbringer thing was clearly unintentional.

IMO as part of the inner circle, it doesn't much matter how involved with certain elements he was - he as good as allowed Cauldron's human experiments. There's some element of path dependence in that Scion came so close to destroying everything that you can't discount them from having contributed, but in the end Scion destroyed them before he was destroyed, and they weren't the decisive element in taking him down. Who knows if a less inhumane approach would have had the same payoff, but their methods were always evil, and only possibly justified by whether it was a necessary evil, which is a subjective and self-serving rationalization at best.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

If Cauldron hadn't existed then Taylor would never have seen Eden and been unable to kill Zion, ultimately. So their actions were essential, and as such Contessa's power guided them as such toward their desired end state of seeing Zion dead, it just happened in a very different way than they expected. Whether or not that's evil is up to interpretation, I guess.

As to Eidolon specifically, I think he was more concerned with his own power than the intangible goal of saving humanity, and he made a few selfish, bad decisions such as during the Echidna fight.

Again, path dependence. Hard to say that Cauldron doing anything else would have worked, but it's only completely justified if the only possible way to kill Scion was to play the events out as they did, or worse, which can't be definitively established one way or another. The final scene with Contessa is kind of telling in that a) even in victory, Taylor would have done it differently, given the choice (kind-of-sort-of connected to Cauldron's own shedding of morals and ethics in service to the mission) and b) Cauldron's approach to the problem was never oriented in the right direction to start with, even if it accidentally pushed others towards the right solution.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

They did what Contessa's power said would lead to eventually defeating Zion. That makes it justified, but it does not necessarily make it right or moral.
Contessa's power was inaccurate, highly precise, and needed to be deliberately used. That is to say, it was inaccurate in that she couldn't model everything, but given the limited number of blind spots, she could do a pretty good facsimile of it, and she also needed to ask the right questions. Cauldron wasn't "Contessa's will in action", it was Doctor Mother's direction and Contessa executing on those on her behalf. She isn't a black hole of justification because she still had agency and fallibility.

This is the really dumb thing I think - it can be argued that the combination of the Simurgh and Contessa indirectly caused every single event that happened in the entire book whether intentionally or not. That makes it a lot less interesting though, and also trying to think through all the chains of causality is an exercise in frustration and pointlessness.
Some WoG implies the Simurgh doesn't necessarily succeed in all her plans either:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/7w3tt8/unpopular_opinions_of_characters_in_worm/dtxp42o/?context=2
https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/4arfdp/spoilers_all_what_if/d13mx7i/

To be fair, neither have to succeed 100% of the time for the dominoes they set up to appear intimidatingly impressive or complete.

EDIT: Grammar

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 11, 2018

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Xun posted:

What the hell is “rational” fiction?

tl;dr: lovely stories servin’ :spergin:

But I wouldn’t exactly call Ward that. A well-realized universe that does more than just serve a MC’s goals doesn’ necessarily mean “rational fiction” describes it well.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Aphantasia is a spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Just marathoned Worth the Candle; it's a pretty fun read and updates pretty fast. LitRPG but avoids being boring on account of the MC's abilities.