Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

jon joe posted:

I'm going to recommend The Dao of Magic, an english xianxia love letter written primarily in a stream-of-consciousness style, about an absurdly powerful "brain" cultivator that is smited by gods down to a lower realm with magic instead of qi. He needs to rebuild his foundation from scratch while preventing a qi-based apocalypse, with the help of some disciples. I think the non-MC characterization is weak, but I still find it to be a gripping series.

Quite enjoying this so far. A bit rough in places, but pretty readable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig so good today. Those of you not reading it should catch up. I think we might be coming to the end...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

SerCypher posted:

So this is tangentially related to web serials, but I got into superhero stories from Worm and Super Powereds.

I never really liked DC/Marvel stuff, but for whatever reason I'm enjoying this new wave of fiction.

Is there any other stuff from any other authors in the genre people like? I have started Legion of Nothing as well. Doesn't have to be a web serial specifically, just thought I'd ask here as I've only read them in web serial format so far.
It might be worth you trying Brandon Sandersons books. Start with Mistborn, then give Steelheart a go (It reads like a kids version of Worm), then try some of his other books! Not really superhero stuff apart from Steelheart, but he's good.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig is into epilogues.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm not sure I want a Worm2 :ohdear:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Jesus Christ the end of the second to last chapter of Twig 19 when they put Jessie under until they can fix her brain is the new most heart wrenching thing in this book

Goddamn you wildbow

Every time I thought Twig couldn't break my heart again, it did. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's a game world. It's supposedly been around for millions of years, but in reality it was pre-programmed and booted up the moment Erin, or whoever the first person was, was dragged in or spawned. Everyone thinks they have a history, but what is memory really.

That's my BS theory anyway. :v: It's probably just inconsistant.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

... the story ended long enough ago that obviously Wildbow isn't going to go back and redo it or anything,

He's editing it pretty heavily for publication. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out in the end...

I'm not really feeling Ward just yet, but I think I might still just be mourning Twig.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Maybe Ward is going to be his experiment in getting better at dialogue? My eyes kinda glazed over halfway through...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oo Koo posted:

The new chapter of Mother of Learning ended in a mother of all cliffhangers, if you excuse the pun. Just FYI to those reading that particular serial.

[MoL 80] Finally. There's been a whole plot-gap there since the beginning of this poo poo of why don't they just talk to him. In all of their interactions with him, he's seemed like a pretty reasonable guy, for an ancient lich anyway. Going straight to "let's kill him!" without ever considering "Hey, what if we just ask him straight up" has seemed like a really weird missing piece.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Velius posted:

The Gods are Bastards was very enjoyable. Then it abruptly became interminable and boring. I stopped a few months back and haven’t regretted it from skimming occasionally.

I stopped a few months back too, around the point of "holiday to pirate city" has anyone been keeping up with it?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah it went through a weird patch around Christmas, it seems to be recovering now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig is good and you should read it. Ward though, just didn't grab me... I need to catch up on it I guess.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Argue posted:

If it's the pace, then uh, yeah, it's slow, and it's got a lot of slice of life stuff mixed in. I'm looking at the list of translated chapters and I can give you a broad idea of what goes on so you can decide if you want to continue: (these are very general) she completes the paper (about 11 chapters off from where you are), starts making merchant connections, learns how to leverage her knowledge (paper, cooking, and otherwise) for money, learns about the societal problems that would prevent her from just flat out inventing everything she wants, learns about her illness, and in a few more chapters, will figure out what she wants to do as a job. That stuff I described covers about 50 chapters, so if that's too slow for you... c'est la vie.

But also, I should warn you that this thing only updates once a week and only 63 of about 700 chapters have been translated.

This thing is actually quite nice. It's nice to read something that isn't WAR WAR WAR all the time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

blastron posted:

My greatest regret with translating Bookworm is that I can’t put it out at anywhere close to the same insane breakneck speed at which the author originally spewed it out. It reads a lot better when you read a chapter every day or two, rather than one every week or so.

You're doing a really great job on the translation, though! It's super readable, which a lot of translated stuff really isn't.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Todays Ward chapter was the first one where I got to the end and thought "Yeah! That was good."

But I think that might be because Wildbow enjoys writing tourtured assholes, and Vicky is too nice.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Spoiler tag at least the 2 most recent updates yeah, quite a lot of people are behind on Ward. Also if you note before your tags exactly which you're spoilering, (Shadow 5.1: spoiler ) that helps a lot...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 24, 2018

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You know the endless stairs thing with just a guy falling forever and hitting every step?

That's Pact.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Silynt posted:

Wandering Inn Patreon chapter (4.22)

Actually, this question is about 4.23 but I didn't want to spoil that there were two chapters on Tuesday. At the end of 4.23, Laken repeatedly mentions a "him" or "he" that he met in Invrisil who gave him some advice on Emperoring. Did we witness this interaction? Do we know who this person is? Is he just gender-bending Ryoka as some form of misdirection, or did he actually meet someone else?

He didn't spend that much time with Ryoka, but he did spend some time with the butler... Reynold? Maybe that's who he's referring to

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I was bored and tired, so I decided to read the latest chapter of Wandering Inn to see where the heck the story went. Erin and Ryoka had some character growth ,but then both continue to be supremely stupid and make the same loving mistakes. Ug. How's Ward?

The writing in Wandering Inn goes up and down in quality, that chapter wasn't very good tbh. The one after it was kind of interesting.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

While we're at it, the Wretch is a shard or whatever it's called of Svetas power, right?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah the writing in TWI is really ropey at first, it took me 2 or 3 attempts to get into it, but once they start writing properly, it really takes off. Try pushing through.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I guess I need to catch up on Ward so I can read this bloody thread again.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Finally caught up on TWI. Bugger you Laken, I never liked your chapters to begin with.

Now to catch up on Ward.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It would actually make a fantastic game, that does not look promising.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Started, and finished Worth the Candle. It meanders a bit, the whole pregnancy thing was kinda weird, but overall, worth reading.

Still need to catch up on Ward, the further back I end up, the less I want to push through it...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I wish they'd just do the thing with the loving deer-in-a-bottle already. It was bought up as TIME SENSETIVE IT'LL DIE and then it's been ignored pretty much ever since.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There's a comicrocket rss for mother of learning that I seem to remember works ok.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Kyoujin posted:

Those were some chapters. The whole sequence post level up was almost physically uncomfortable to read. I wonder how making enemies out of the librarians will cause issues in the future.

[WTC 134] I was hoping it would go on much longer, maybe with some big savestate reset at the end. It was nice for him to have an actual goal he gave a poo poo about...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Rags has to lose everything so she can start again from scratch with the hobs from the Inn, and maybe a couple of her close advisors. She got too big too fast and the story has to knock her back down so she can go home to Erin, heal, work out what her goals are and start on a new, better track.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I feel like at this point, I should link our own Paradise Lost

It's super long, there's a recap somewhere about halfway through, but that was over a year ago at least.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Forge of Destiny (page 14ish) Man, I was enjoying this, and now they've taken the "enslave yourself to me forever thx" deal. Wonderful. Literally every other option was less lovely!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Despite all the hate in here, I kinda love TWI.

She needs to start editing her chapters to be 75% shorter though, I don't have time for this!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Argue posted:

It's me, I'm the awful person who really liked the Wistram interludes, to the point that I wanted a spinoff serial.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

TWI Patreon (6.06D)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

My issue isn't actually with the characters' attributes, but more the specific things they end up saying and the way they say them, and applies to the natives just as much as (if not moreso than) a character like Erin. I don't know how else to describe it other than "it feels sorta like the dialogue from a high school drama production." Like there's something sorta hammy about the way people speak and (for example) characters will comment on some Earth thing Erin has showed them in a way that seems more geared towards appealing to the reader than the way someone in their position would probably actually react. Or if a dramatic/emotional thing is happening, it feels like I'm reading the dialogue of someone who is just echoing what they've absorbed from the way other YA fiction deals with drama.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think the dialogue is probably the main thing that bugs me. Nothing particularly bothers me about the setting or the specific events that take place, but the way the specific scenes/dialogue happen just feels deeply awkward to me.

Yeah I get this. It's like the "all my favourite characters meet up" or "all my favourite characters are put in a situation that allows them to show off to their full ability" fantasy fulfilment fanfics. I know what you mean with the dialogue too, there was a bit in the geneva bit where she said "Why does it have to be snakes" less so to give her a sense of humour, although that's how it was spun, and more so as a joke to the readers, pieces does it a lot too.

Honestly though, I don't mind, there's a certain joy in the wish-fulfilment stuff.

I gotta admit, I stopped reading in May because the flos stuff always loses my attention, and now that I'm catching up, I'm just skipping though all this election bs.

The bits I'm skimming are all "Build the wall build the wall!" and it's probably some extended joke about american politics and I can't be bothered.

quote:

Lism studied one claw.

“It’s…a good idea. But I’d rather I take the Council seat. You see, I am running in your district, Krshia. And if I’m elected, I’ll ensure that we expand our city by one third, fund the Adventurer’s Guild and fund the City Watch! Build those walls! Build those walls!”

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 30, 2019

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

You better not skip the chapters with the muscle wizard because he is a treasure

Also Jelaqua making her bf a loving bento

Haha the muscle wizard guy was pretty great. I'm mainly skipping the bits with Krshna or whatever her name is, the gnoll, and the drake who's against her.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

6.66h just unlocked.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's the Emmerdale Christmas Special!

Edit: Reposted for new page, 6.66h of TWI unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Reading TWI over christmas has made me miss the days when I was like 13 and could enjoy fanfic uncritically. It's very much the same wish fulfilment "people you like being cool" type stuff.