Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Some audio serials (delivered as podcasts):

How to Succeed in Evil & The Merchant Adventurer
http://succeedinevil.com/books/

I haven't listened to Merchant Adventurer so I can't comment on it. How to Succeed in Evil is basically the story of a competent lawyer for supervillians who are incompetent.

Steal the Stars
http://tor-labs.com/steal-the-stars/

A recent one that I've started and am probably going to give up. Sci-Fi story picking up on the lives of the people guarding and researching a crashed alien ship, starting 11 years after the event. I'm planning on dropping it because it's looking more like a high school drama. That and part of the background is the US privatized the site shortly after building it giving complete control of it a mega-corporation that takes all that implies (trope wise) to 200%.

Deliberations
http://www.deliberationspod.com/

This one may or may not fit the definition depending on your point of view. A fictional account of a Jury during deliberation with brief flashbacks/cuts back to what was said during the court case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anybody read and can recommend any translated web novels? Been digging through a lot of Korean and Chinese web serials in an effort to just see something different but it's so hard to find one that has the bare minimum of an acceptable translation. I've only found a couple so far that are capable of actually being read in English without either knowing enough about the original language to work out the meaning or spending a whole lot of time just adjusting to the format and sentence structure of a more direct translation from those languages and I seriously doubt any web novel is worth that level of effort.

Edit:
Forgot to mention I'm mostly after fantasy/sci-fi stuff. I don't know what the fascination is with fairly targeted romance novels out of that area but it's a bit crazy.

nessin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 26, 2019

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
HWFWM's is pretty blatantly a fic by someone who invested time in basic psychology (maybe a educational hobby or a minor in college) and feels the need to justify it. I'm sure the author means for it to be semi-serious and reasonable but it's so far into making the message clear, usually in ridiculous ways that resolve themselves in an extremely contrived manner, that every time something like that comes up it's just cringy in execution.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

navyjack posted:

Existential horror is kind of Matt Dinniman’s thing. His other LitRPG stuff, Dominion of Blades and Battlefield Kaiju Surgeon both have awful implications and the non-LitRPG stuff I’ve read is lots of cosmic body horror.

I didn't realize Dinniman was the author of DCC. I remember seeing an interview where he mentioned he told his mom that he loves her support but she should give a pass to Kaiju Surgeon, which of course meant I had to read it. Looking back on it I can see how you lose some of the impact of DCC in the serialized format where you're not reading it all in one go, at least compared to how Kaiju played out.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

I really, really do not understand how anyone can like Azarinth Healer when it is written so incredibly poorly. It reads like bad fanfiction.

I really don't get how anyone can have this opinion about anything discussed here. Web serials are almost universally written poorly and basically exist to tickle a specific niche hard enough to make it worth reading. The few web serials I can think of that wouldn't fit into that category are from published authors who've gone through editing passes enough in the past to make stuff at least decent on their own and are just making web serials as a testing ground or sort of early access thing.

nessin fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 23, 2021

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Peachfart posted:

There are many web serials that do a pretty great job of building a world and having technically competent writing. There are just many more that are terrible garbage.
There is a middle ground between expecting Hemingway and reading poorly written garbage fanfiction.

Larry Parrish posted:

I dont read them if they're badly written enough. Sometimes it's right on the edge and I continue out of morbid fascination but I dont usually remember anything about them a day later so I can barely say I even read them. I also dont read the ones which are good on a technical level but have garbage characterization or are incredibly one note or whatever. Theres a lot of those. Theres still a lot out there if you skip all the garbage. Take care of yourself dude.

You've both gone way too literal and ignored what I actually replied to. Yes, the vast majority is so poorly written as to be not even worth mentioning. But something like Azarinth Healer, the example as given, is hardly a drastic step below the darling favorites of the thread here like TWI. To say you can't understand how anyone could like reading Azarinth Healer but stand reading TWI, HWFWM (which granted is less appreciated than it was), Delve, PracGuide, and so on is basically just insulting people for their preferences and not a reasonable criticism.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jazerus posted:

idk anything about this azarinth story but TWI has an extremely large cast of likeable characters, essentially endless depths of worldbuilding, and what few numbers it does have are so seamlessly integrated into the story that the fact of their existence is a central part of the grand overarching plot

i think it's hard to compare that to a numbers go up story and say "yeah, only a little bit better", imo

So in order for a story to not be poorly written it has to have a large cast of likable characters, a way of creating perpetual world building opportunities, and if it users numbers it can't only be in the way TWI does it. Got it. You should probably just put me on ignore, I can't stand large casts of characters (and I don't like TWI's characters which is why I eventually stopped reading it) and I enjoy all sorts of stories with numbers even if most of them are trashy. I'm not going to try and say whether we'd clash on worldbuilding impressions based off TWI because I stopped reading it but two out of three covers your bases.

Oh, I also have a problem with claiming a story I know nothing about is written worse than a story I do know something about based on mostly personal taste in novel and not actual writing chops. Even though I'm not a fan of TWI I don't go around saying it's impossible to understand how anyone could like it because it's so poorly written, it's just not for me. So let's call it three out of four things we disagree on.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 23, 2021

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like TWI proves that people don't mind a slow paced plot, and that it has several advantages over a fast paced one. I find that I care about nearly every TWI character to some extent, whereas it's hard to care about most people in BDM. Not saying that every web novel needs to have the ultra glacial pace of TWI, just that it has its advantages. I also agree with the posters above that BDM has felt kinda rushed lately, hopefully it improves in this new arc.

I'd say most web serials and even a lot of the comparable stuff that get's published (Gamelit and similar) are all glacially paced compared to most non-that novels (I wanted to say traditional but that's not really the right word). Sure TWI may be an extreme example of it but just look at Dragoneye Moon, it's currently the length of somewhere between four to seven average fantasy novels. It may look fast paced compared to TWI but it's slow as hell compared to the average published novel. You could easily make the case that web serials (and I'd say fan fiction at large), as a whole, are basically a niche built around slow pacing relative to published books.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

BtDM hasn't made it up to the length of The Way of Kings (which is the shortest one in the series) even without excluding litrpg stuff like Elaine's stats at the end of each chapter from the word count. Doorstop fantasy is a pretty well established genre that predates web serials by a few decades. Length and pacing also aren't at all the same thing.

The Way of Kings isn't the average. Doorstopper fantasy isn't even so large in the Fantasy genre to drive up the average up very much. And when you take four+ books in a gamelit story to detail the growth of a single character from nothing to the power level of the party said character joined late in the first "book", length and pacing are correlated. I don't mind slow pacing so that isn't a criticism of the story, just using it as an example.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

It always confuses me when people get upset at protagonists having actual flaws. Like some people just can't even consume media unless they personally identify with the protagonist and all PoV characters (that aren't explicitly villainous) are good/correct (or gradually become more good/correct by the end of the series)

I'm not referring to you there (like you sort of mention/imply, it's not really strange for Anabelle to have the sort of mindset she has, since her response to a terrible life was fantasize about the grass being greener elsewhere), but this attitude seems pretty endemic among most popular media (I was going to say YA stories and web serials, but honestly this applies to most major movies and TV shows as well).

vvv To me it heavily depends on the ideology of the work as a whole, which can sometimes be a subtle distinction, but there's definitely a tendency for nearly all PoV or otherwise "good-aligned (from the perspective of the plot)" characters to either be good or be bad in ways that are remedied within the scope of the story.

It's also one thing to say "I don't want to read this kind of story" (which is completely fine) and another to say that "the protagonist being bad/dumb is a reason this story isn't good and I don't recommend it because of this."

My experience, and I haven't read Pith to comment on that in particular, is the author gives the reader information and situations that would suggest a character would be or grow into being "good" or "correct" but then intentionally doesn't on the basis of a flaw or no one being perfect. Writing a character into situations where they should know better or change but don't is bad writing not the reader having unrealistic expectations.