Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Daybreak on Hyperion is pretty cool too. It's technically still updating ...just slowly. But the three volumes already up are well worth the read I think. Note the author has stated that it started as a gag project intended to be like four chapters long or something and blew up into the epic war fantasy it currently is - so the very beginning bits are a bit different tonally from the rest of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Can someone summarize what happens in the Ward arc zero 10 chapters of chatlogs? Every time I try to read them my eyes just glaze over...

I mean seriously? 10 chapters of farce message boards and chatlogs? I just can't...

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It's not essential to read those. If you want a synopsis, ust read Wildbow's: https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/7ckqaj/request_for_a_synopsis_of_glowworm/

Didn't know this was a thing, thanks for posting it.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
People say Taylor wins a lot and I don't really understand that. She "wins" the same way through the whole series, starting with the Lung fight all the way to the very end - pyrrhic victories where her objective is technically accomplished at some terrible cost. She loses so much over the course of the story, in terms of friends, family, and personal health/well-being - it would be really hard for her to lose more without the story coming to an abrupt conclusion because she's loving dead. Her arc is literally this tiny upspike at the beginning (coming out of that bathroom) into a long slow terrible down slide over the course of a million words.

But I guess she doesn't die in any of the fights - thus; victory? :shrug:

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

blastron posted:

Specifically for fights, only kind-of. None of the protagonists (save for Helen) have explicit combat-related superpowers, and the main character’s whole gimmick is that he’s a normal kid who takes drugs to make him smart and adaptable. He plans and manipulates his way through fights rather than solve them with brute force, so if you liked the “clever uses of a weak power” thing that Worm starts out with then you might like Twig.

:thunk:

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Absum posted:

If I were to criticize the story I'd probably focus more on the way Sylviane treats Kaede and the Stockholm syndrome Kaede seems to be suffering from because both of those are rather unsettling to me.

I actually came really close to just dropping the story after Sylviane blew up at Kaede that one time and everyone was just like "meh, that's your lot in life now." and the story moved on. It was really uncomfortable and I made a comment on the chapter to the effect of "You know this pushes Sylviane past the moral event horizon, she can't be a likable character anymore" and got shouted down by the author so... I don't think that aspect of the story is going to change.

That said it's a fun read and any "creepiness" you might expect from the hook is pretty much completely nonexistent - the author seems much more intent on writing about a grand dramatic war with intrigue and plots than about the ostensible main character.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
But what did Trickster do wrong?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

The Shortest Path posted:

He massively prolonged the Echidna fight and likely directly killed at least a few people in the process.
You gotta keep your promises man.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

New Mother of Learning.

A whole chapter on one conversation. It was a pretty important conversation though I guess. I will say that I've always felt like the ancient lich does not talk nearly enough like an ancient lich. It's a tone thing - he talks way too normal for a thousand year old monster, in my opinion. Tone aside I liked the chapter, it's good to be reminded that there are serious threats in the world even for our overpowered protagonists. And we finally get to see them shamelessly abusing the timeloop to rip someone off wholesale!

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Lone Goat posted:

I don't think that's reasonable at all, half the thread will be a wall of black squares.

I'd say just spoiler the current (free/non-Patreon, where applicable) update. Why the heck is someone checking this thread more often than they're reading the story?

Because they also read other stories and don't keep 100% immediately up to date on everything?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not just the current arc. The rot set in a while ago.

I've always been a little leery of tGAB. Some of that's bias on my part- it's in a genre I'm just not very fond of- but I think there are legitimate, objective problems with its storytelling. The pacing I've covered before, and the eleventh hour sci-fi elements I'm not actually all that bothered by. No, I want to talk about the characters. See, they talk to each other. They talk to each other a lot. Every time a character develops, they get together with their friends and they talk the change to death. Every possible implication and ramification is dissected in exhausting detail. Nothing is allowed to remain implicit.

So why is that bad? Sounds pretty healthy, right? Well, aside from the fact that it is repetitive and choking and bloated as all gently caress, the problem is that all of these characters are slowing becoming the exact same character. Soon, everyone will be Sweet. They all adopt the same way of thinking about the world, of interpreting events. You get a lot of scenes where someone's thinking a thing, and then a little further down the line we have a different character, thinking the same thing in the same way for the same reason. Now, I could live with the convergence of philosophies- Webb is clearly pushing A Thesis, and the convergence is a working to that purpose- but the repetition is slowly driving me mad. It's not interesting repetition- it's not done to expand on previous points, or examine them from a different perspective- it just happens because we haven't seen these guys have that epiphany yet. It's also slowly chasing out all the incompatible goods- there is less and less scope for the good guys to pursue differing goals or clash over means. Everybody wants the same things in the same ways. That's loving dull.

TGAB is still in the top percentile of web fiction. Webb is not an incompetent- they clearly know where they want to go with the story, every arc has a purpose in the overall narrative. Hell, the fact that they write full grammatical sentences puts them well ahead of the pack. But even so, I have found myself consistently less enthused by Gods than any other web serial of a similar grade. Practical Guide, Wandering Inn, Taint, Last Angel, Bookworm, ZTJ, Unsong, Ra- hell, even Void Domain.

I read up to volume 9 or 10 like a year ago and haven't picked it up again since. I agree with what you say here but will throw in that the whole story is kind of frustrating in that it feels to me kind of like a bait and switch. Because the story early on puts a lot of focus on Trissany and co - there is a huge ensemble cast but despite that they very much feel like the "main characters". Growing and learning and doing Cool Things together. But they aren't. I don't know if I would call Sweet the main character - but he's the very obvious author favorite who comes in out of nowhere and steals the show. Like literally you just start randomly getting interludes from his POV - it felt like reading two stories that were not connected. At all. For like 6 or 8 volumes until at one point the two different sets of main characters cross paths for all of like two chapters before splitting off again. It's indescribably frustrating when an author gets me invested into and liking a character or set of characters only to sideline them for some smarmy git who spouts bullshit philosophy and is only alive thanks to his plot armor.

Also there are too many characters. I guess in the arena of endless serial fiction too many characters is better than too few and sort of a symptom of the genre but... there are too many.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I didn't get super far into Pact, didn't like how this guy who was an heir to secret magic or whatever never actually seemed to be able to use magic. Since it's Wildbow the story was a series of escalating conflicts that never seemed to be resolved through the strength of the protagonist - he never cast magic missile and killed the bad guy; instead there would be some convoluted sequence where he trades his toenail to a fairy in exchange for a one time cast of magic missile and just barely resolves things.

In short he seemed kind of weak and incompetent compared to pretty much any of Wildbow's other main characters. Maybe he gets better later in the story - like I said I didn't get very far in - but I mean in the first five chapters of Worm we know Taylor's powerset and she shows it off to great effect against Lung; we understand she's powerful and dangerous. This chump spends the whole part of the story I read three steps behind, just sort of desperately reacting as things happen to him while being condescended to by everyone around him for not knowing about magic or whatever.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Yea I dunno about "rational fiction". A lot of those things just seem to be tenets of not stupid (or mythological I guess) storytelling. I mean internal consistency in the story? The characters have motivations? Characters solving problems? These seem like some of the lowest bars that any decent fiction has to clear.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Jon Joe posted:

New MoL is up and it looks like there are probably only a few chapters left!

Sweet. Glad that it looks like there will be a proper conclusion.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Calef posted:

It's really easy to forget or not even notice things like:
- Taylor lies and tells Sundancer that the adjacent buildings are empty of civilians so that Sundancer will use her power on the Nine. Taylor totally sacrificed those people for a shot at the Nine.
- Taylor again refrains from mentioning to Sundancer that there are still people inside Echidna, so that Sundancer will go through with executing her. Taylor deludes herself into thinking that everybody knows this and is tacitly okay with making the sacrifice, but Taylor is the only one with a sensory power that makes her aware that those people are in there.
- When using her bugs to indiscriminately swing around Defiant's nano-knife in the Cauldron base, she kills an unknowable number of Irregulars and Cauldron prisoners.
- Shooting Coil in the head in cold blood was a situation where she felt she was out of options, but there was no time crunch. She was very deliberate with this one.

Honorable mentions:
- She comes within seconds of killing Triumph, a guiltless hero, to compel his father to give in to Coil's demands. This scene is followed by her deciding that thinking about what she did makes her uncomfortable and mentally disassociating into her swarm.
- Taylor never seems to have a moment's hesitation about killing endless waves of Echidna clones, S9000 clones and Nilbog creatures. I'll give her a pass on this one because nobody else seems to care about this, ever. But, Ward has given us POVs from the latter two classes of being, and Worm gave us a (deleted) POV from Witness, so we know they are "people" too.
- Taylor directly kills people, notably including a number of Yangban, who impede her on the path toward becoming Khepri, but you could argue that she's not herself anymore at this point.

Yeah, in many of these cases she feels backed into a corner and out of options, but that's kinda the exact problem.

Are you saying that those are bad things? They all seem to me like pretty reasonable actions for her to take in the context of the story.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
idk maybe it's the crazy American in me but I got pretty fully on board with Taylor's "rationalizations" and have never really gotten off-board. She is pretty legitimately backed into a corner throughout the entire story and reacts more or less appropriately. She's not Superman, so she can't perfectly save everyone every time with zero loss of life, but she does good with the poo poo hand she's dealt. Her responses are proportional and rational and she operates with a pretty clear moral core that happens to not wholly discount lethal force as a problem solving method in extreme circumstances.

I mean you guys keep bringing up Coil (which was a pretty heavy turning point in the story) but I don't understand what you imagine could have been done better when dealing with a man who dabbles in alternate realities, is the center of power of all the local villains, has the PRT so thoroughly subverted that he is the local chapters leader, and has a precog on a leash. Also he wants to kill her. Like if you rewrite the whole story starting from when she first joins the Undersiders and make it so she refuses to interact with him from the start maybe he doesn't end up as such a clear and direct antagonist but that's not the story...

Taylor seems to me to be as much of a good person as it is possible to be within the context of the setting.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Pretty much all of the main antagonists in the story are wholly external - they come to Taylor with no prompting on her part, even Lung in that first arc arguably (since he's a villain making GBS threads up the neighborhood she lives in / near). In fact if I had complaints with Worm it would probably be the non-stop slew of external threats that keep popping in, one after another, each bigger and badder than the last. Coil, bitch, the PRT heroes, Leviathan, Echidna, the nine, Accord, Scion... all of those people come at Taylor with no particular prompting on her part.
Like yeah, when the huge monster is laying waste to her city, or when the worst monsters humanity ever produced roll up on her doorstep, or when the crazy golden god hellbent on the destruction of the human race drops by, she could have "not escalated the violence" but that's why she's the hero of the story and not the chump that dies in a shelter.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Omi no Kami posted:

Even with all of the advantages that time loops buy him, his fast progress feels weird to me; by all accounts he's at a point where he can basically flatten the vast majority of mages who don't specifically prepare to fight him, and is at the upper end of mastery in the stuff he's good at. I could believe that if he'd had 20-30 years to work, but I think he's been in the loop for 6-8 years total? Anyway, even given how much of his progress is from synergies, continual refinement, and absurdly expensive/dangerous stuff that you couldn't do in the real world, it feels a tad strange.
Eh Zorian doesn't seem particularly undefeatable or omniscient to me. I think the only character he explicitly mentions being able to best is like Tavien? Every other time he fights someone he only goes in after making all sorts of ludicrous preparations that would probably cost the GDP of a small country - and even then he doesn't always "win". Most of the big fight scenes in the story involve Zorian standing off to the side and letting other characters do all the heavy lifting - usually getting maimed if he does get involved. And beyond fighting his other abilities aren't super amazing either - I mean he's obviously good at magic, better than he has any right to be considering his age - but it is mentioned repeatedly in recent chapters that he is forced to throw around huge sums of money and outsource complex alchemy, warding, and other magical work to actual experts because he doesn't have the time to become an expert himself.
The mind magic is really the only thing he has that gives him an edge and makes other characters take him seriously.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

The early chapters of Zombie Knight that I've tried weren't good.
Yeah same, I read the first five or six chapters at some point and was not very impressed but for some reason that series is always in the top 10 on topwebfic - sometimes clawing up to number one - and sometimes I wonder if I'm just missing something. Does it pick up a lot later in the story? Or does it just have a fanbase that is particularly active when it comes to voting?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

protip: don't read bad things in hopes of them ever getting good, when there are so many nonbad things to read instead

Don't listen to this guy, if you sink enough hours into reading anything the part of your brain that convinces you that you don't make bad decisions will kick in and assure you that the bad thing was, in fact, good.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

We're really ramping up to a conclusion of some variety, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, me too. It kinda weirds me out that neither of them has made much of an attempt to solve the mystery of who (if anyone) mind-whammied Zach and what red robe's plan was. I don't really want this to be true, but the only real explanation I can come up with is that Zach is either explicitly red robe, or the simulacrum theory is correct, and either way Zach is intentionally playing Zorian and subtly keeping focus away from what actually happened. Structurally there's nothing that would make this impossible, but we've spent so much time with both characters that if it's true, I feel like it's kind of out of the blue and a real bummer.

I mean it's possible that there won't be an eleventh hour twist and it actually is just Veyers somehow tampered with a temporary marker to loop along with Zach. He's the one who did the mind fuckery and then attempted to bug out and escape the loop before Zach and Zorian. My pet theory is that he somehow failed to actually escape because of some sort of Guardian fuckery / confusion. As in, he could have initiated his escape attempt and thus been ejected into "real world" time only to then be somehow blocked from actually exiting - getting trapped in the "real world" in the process and allowing the loop to continue without him for years and years while only seconds or microseconds pass in his "real world" time. That would allow there to be no direct betrayal and also allow for some sort of final confrontation between the three at the end.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part but I really hope it doesn't end with Zach just being like "mwhaha I was evil all along!" because that would be a terribly unsatisfying climax.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I think it's because at that point Zach had been mind-whammied by red robe into thinking that his ultimate goal is to defeat the invasion singlehandedly and stop the primordial release and then when he eventually accomplishes that goal the loop will magically resolve itself. So in the first parts of the story Zach is working towards trying to create a "perfect loop" where he saves everyone and defeats the invasion. It's not until Zorian mucks with things enough that red robe shows himself and directly attacks Zach to steal his memories (and then attacks him again in the next few subsequent loops) that Zach cottons on to the fact something is amiss and stops trying to singlehandedly save the city.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, that would somewhat-kinda explain why red robe stopped bothering with the invasion after zorian appeared (assuming its only purpose was to keep zach occupied). I dunno though- there's just a whole lot of sketchiness in both the invasion and the initial plan that makes me really hope that at some point Zorian fixes Zach's mind whammy and figures out exactly what was going on before he got involved.

Yeah the fact that Zach won't let Zorian into his head is what keeps most of the ambiguity in the story though, so I understand why the author doesn't let it happen. As things stand we only really have Zach's word for how things went down on his end - and it leaves the story open for a double-cross or other similar shenanigans.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
That's pretty much the current canon explanation though. They assume its someone Zach leaked information about the timeloop to who somehow managed to figure out how to loop along with Zach, somehow took advantage of Zach's trust to ambush and gently caress his brain, and then just ran rampant powering up after that point. The problem is that there is no way to know who that person is without examining Zach's mind. It could have been the third girl (and actually now that I think about it that's not a bad guess because she was close to Zach while he was crusading against the lich so she would be ideally positioned to stop him from noticing something was up) but it could also be literally anyone. Slytherine girl is the only mind mage pre-loop but after - potentially decades - of training, it could also be any character in the story really. Its impossible to take guesses at who is the culprit based on their apparent "power-levels" or abilities because the time loop mechanic makes it true that any character could be a secret super-mage.

Also if we assume the loop was actually set up for Zach's benefit it would follow that initially he would have known how it worked - and also known about the imperial treasures and their powers - so our double-crosser could theoretically have had six months to work out their double-cross if Zach placed a temporary marker on them of his own will - which lets the whole theory hang together a bit better. How someone could get enough expertise in soul magic to modify their own marker in six months is a bit of a head-scratcher though. Maybe Zach did it himself because he was lonely?

e: In my mind there is two ways the story can go at this point - either Zach is a trusting moron who let someone else in on the secret to ultimate power and got double-crossed or he's actually really smart and manipulative and - for some as yet unexplained reason - he needs Zorian to escape the loop and is abusing him to that end.

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 24, 2018

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Affi posted:

Mother of learning chat:

How did the loop start? Did the looper (Zach or unknown) press start and then get teleported a month back to relive it or did the looper start the loop and then lived a month and then reset it?

If it’s option one then somehow Zach lived a “normal” month where he somehow ended up in a top secret research facility in the middle of an invasion only to luck out and start the loop the second the primordial broke loose. Which should be repeatable unless someone got erased from the timeline.

If it’s option 2 it’s just weird that Zach would wake up in his bed right? He should start his loop in the facility? Is it confirmed he actually wakes up there or what?

The mechanics of the loop (as have been explained to us the readers) make the second option more likely. Because what's happening isn't "time travel" but rather a constantly resetting "snap-shot" of reality that is stored in it's own super powerfully temporally accelerated pocket dimension that is somehow contained and powered by an imprisoned primordial. So in essence whoever started the time loop started it up at the start of the month and the events that we see playing out in the story aren't "real" but just the result of some sort of hyper-advanced spell that "snap-shots" the whole world and then predicts - for lack of a better word - the actions of all the people / things trapped inside.

As for how Zach factors in, well in the story Zach has claimed that he always wakes up in his bed in his mansion and that is the reason he thinks it's unlikely that he is the "original looper".

At the end of the day I don't think we really have enough information to know how the loop started or who started it - it's one of the big mysteries they're working on unraveling.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I'm like 90% sure Zach has always had massive reserves. It's why he was such a poor student at the mage school before the time loop - his power reserves were too big and it crippled his ability to do delicate spellwork. It's only thanks to decades of practice - via the timeloop - that he's able to function as a mage at all. That's the big reason Zorian is so convinced that the loop is setup all around Zach and for Zach's benefit - because Zach happens to have such a unique "problem" that the time loop happens to be the perfect solution for. Zorian suspects it must be some sort of hidden bloodline magic thing from Zach's noble House but Zach claims that it's not. Zach claimed that he (the only surviving member and heir to the House) has never heard of such a bloodline and that there are no records of such a bloodline existing in his House's records or the records of enemy Houses but I don't think he ever says his mana reserves weren't huge from the start?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Affi posted:

Honestly I think its weird too and I get what you're saying.
otoh, I don't understand what he's saying at all. Amazon is literally the biggest online storefront there is. Even if the author's business model survives entirely on donations / patreon, obviously having presence there will be better for them than not.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Wooow that one's a doozy innit? Seems like the "angels" had a hand in setting up the time loop, not that that really clarifies anything since it's literally impossible to communicate with them. Also it just signs off with "...and then five months passed." so next chapter is the end of the line for the temporary markers, I wonder how the characters will take that? Seems like it's impossible that the "escape the loop in the next six months plan" can come to fruition unless a lot of stuff happens in that last month. If all the people end up resetting to template that would be a blow to Z&Z and it would probably impossible to get them back while still in the loop wouldn't it? Since we must be getting really close to the hard deadline right? There was less than 2 years left at one point and we've had a few timeskips since then so it has to be getting close. I wish the author would put a tally of "x resets remaining" at the end of the chapters, since it's information the characters know.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Qualifying the following statements with "in the sphere of web serials" but I thought The Gods are Bastards and The Iron Teeth were both pretty good when I read them a while back. I haven't been keeping up with either of them but I can say I enjoyed the first handful of volumes of both.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
oof.

Mother of learning spoilers
Even though I saw it coming the double-cross still managed to catch me a bit off guard. That Silverlake would betray them is just so blindingly obvious that it would be harder not to expect it - she's only a hair above that lich in terms of moral alignment. Still, it might not actually be that big of a deal? Silverlake is on her last month. Presumably, the primordial wants her to free it by destroying the prison somehow or something? But that's probably not something she can manage on her own right? Zorian was predicting pretty low odds of escape even factoring in the help of the entire squad - but Silverlake will be on her own and I doubt that destroying the prison will be any easier than escaping from it. And at the end of the day, Zorian and crew only have to tie her up for a month before she gets wiped regardless. It is a hell of a wrench in the works though, for sure.

Also this chapter it's revealed that a large part of the cast including Zorian are seriously considering physically escaping the time-loop to live as doppelgangers in the real world? That blew my mind more than the Silverlake stuff. I guess it's feasible since they're all master magi who could change their identities with relative ease, but geez. I really wasn't expecting that. I always assumed they would just "possess" their own bodies - which(I thought) was Zorian's stated plan. I noticed that the story has been playing it up as a big moral conundrum (that I don't really see if I'm being honest) - and now it seems they ultimately don't want to do that anymore apparently? Personally, I think a bunch of weird doppelgangers running around is worse in just about every way than just quietly displacing their old souls with the new-and-improved versions.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Silynt posted:

In case anyone goes to TopWebFiction and sees 'Metaworld Chronicles' at #3 and thinks it might be worth a shot: it isn't.

You didn't like it? I thought it side-stepped a lot of the worst web serial tropes and pitfalls pretty well while also being about as well written as a web serial can be. If I were to voice a complaint it would probably the frequent fashion digressions - but that's hardly a cardinal sin.
Also, it does the whole "insidious, corrupting power" thing pretty well. To the point that even when I, the reader, know what the main character is doing is probably objectively "wrong" her internal justifications are convincing enough that I find myself nodding along. Especially in the recent chapters that revolve around eating people.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Cicero posted:

New Mother of Learning is out.
That was a cool chapter. Some random thoughts I had...

Looks like we might be in the final iteration of the time loop? That's exciting. I noticed in the chapter the characters were all pretty unanimously convinced that Silverlake betrayed them - but the primordial never says that explicitly. And I mean she is the super obvious candidate (that coincidentally got turned into a soulless husk right after the bargain was struck) but it feels to me like the author might be leaving the door open for some sort of surprising eleventh-hour tweeeeest.

In the chapter, Zorian deduces that the loop was probably set up with the intention of letting Zach figure out some way of averting the future where the primordial is released? Which I guess hangs together - but feels like a bit of a stretch to me. If that's the case it means some - heretofore unmentioned - power sent Zach into the loop before the story began with a do or die mission to save the world or whatever. Which seems weird to me, from a storytelling perspective, to introduce some entirely new group or powerful individual who was ~behind it all~ this late in the game. I keep expecting them to stumble across who or what exactly prompted the timeloop to start and under what circumstances... and it just keeps not happening. Maybe there will be a post-timeloop third act that will wrap that up?

Unrelatedly, it's interesting how much the primordial wanted Zorian to betray Zach. I guess that it expects that Zach will be able to ultimately escape the loop no matter what? I was under the impression that he was barred from escape the same was as Zorian because of the Guardian operating under the assumption that the controller had already left - but maybe not? The primordial didn't seem to think so in the chapter anyway. My wild guess is that his status as the primary controller of the loop will let him deus ex machina him and Zorian out at the end of the day and that's why the primordial is so wary.

If that happens it looks like we might be headed toward Zach + assorted hangers on finally escaping for good and going on to try to save the world for real while facing off against Silverlake, Red Robe, and the invaders huh?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
That's a bit of a leap. The gate is a divine artifact - but it's also under the control of some super secret government organization. As for chalking the instigators of the whole story up to "angels" uhhh...? There isn't really anything in the text to support that is there? All we know about angels is that they are the ones propping up the various world religions and occasionally they move to bless or guide their flocks. I don't know why Zach, as opposed to like a priest or something, would end up as their chosen champion if they were the ones pulling the strings.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
(MoL) I dunno how I feel about Zorian snuffing himself out like that. It hasn't been explicitly stated in the text but he probably has the skills to maintain a soul without a body in one way or another right? I mean, the original soul(s) dying off in one way or another was the outcome I expected. I never thought that the time loop people would physically escape from the loop and become doppelgangers of themselves in the real world since that just seems like a lame cop-out of the established moral dilemma. It's just that having Zorian make a conscious choice to just straight murder himself adds a degree of ruthlessness to his character that I don't really think has been established properly. He had always been the bleeding heart of the team before hadn't he?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

mossyfisk posted:

His moralities are a little more complex than that, it is worth noting that very few mages use simulacrums to the extent Zorian does and the equanimity with which those simulacrums take their deaths

Zorian kills other Zorians on a regular basis, and they don't mind.

That... is actually really reasonable. The simulacrums are what made me feel pretty confident that he didn't lack the ability to handle things one way or the other - but thinking about it, they also represent why he would make the choice he did so easily. Saying he's been directly involved in the deaths of any number of Zorian's already isn't an exaggeration in the slightest.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
If we're doing random recommends that aren't in the OP and don't get talked about in the thread much...

Void Domain - It's a lot like Harry Potter, except instead of being a gormless capital "H" hero who gets by with the power of love and friendship Eva is instead a vicious girl with a penchant for brutal blood magic and deals with demons. It has an edge over a lot of other web fiction in that it is already complete! No waiting for updates here. The whole thing comes in at a hair over a million words. (The author has moved onto another project Vacant Throne that I know nothing about but if you like one you might like the other.) The "hidden world of magic" that exists in setting requires a bit of suspension of disbelief but if you can get past that it's all pretty well set up, the author clearly put a lot of thought into how the magic in his setting "works" and came up with some creative stuff. Plus who doesn't like reading about evil magicians, demons, and our marginally less evil protagonist all battling each other to the death?

The Fifth Defiance - Superhero fic. I think the initial premise was something like 'what if Superman - but instead of benevolent and all-loving Jesus stand-in; he's a petty tyrant who rules with an iron fist'. At the start of the story, it's more or less a post-apocalyptic setting and the world has been reduced to rubble by brawling supers. We follow a handful of brave souls who come together to (probably) eventually lead the titular Fifth Defiance. I'm not actually fully caught up to this one right now but I read up to 7.1 which is pretty deep in and I think it's pretty good. I think it's a "realistic" take on what would happen if every Tom, Dick, and Harry were randomly godlike powers - a weird sort of quasi-feudalism with the strongest supers sifted to the top of the pyramid. It also has some neat quirks on the genre - so it isn't entirely a boilerplate "generic superhero story". But mostly I like it because the good guys are well written and have a clear and compelling goal (to overthrow the tyrant) and the tyrant is a good bad guy - if that makes sense.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I think ratfic is just a response to all that YA fiction where the MC makes some clearly terrible decision in the name of love or friendship or whatever and then somehow doesn't suffer any negative consequences because of deus ex machina. You know what I'm talking about, when the bad guy gives the hero the "hard choice" to save the world or save his girlfriend and he just whips his cape and puts on his sunglasses before declaring "I'm taking the third option" and saves everyone with the power of love.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Plorkyeran posted:

I just finished the first book of this. I've enjoyed it so far and am going to keep reading it, but it has some issues.

The prose isn't great. Lots of short and stubby sentences that don't flow well and especially early on there's a lot of awkward paragraphs where a character's name is repeated in every sentence. It's gradually getting better so maybe in another 800k words it'll be good.

Structurally book 1 really doesn't work as a book. To use a Harry Potter analogy, it's like the first book ended when the dragon subplot was dealt with. Yeah, a plot thread was resolved and there was sort of a climax, but it really just felt like the author went "wow I've written a bunch of chapters and here's an excuse to declare a book done so I should jump on it".

The biggest issue is that the characters don't have distinct voices. None of the adults ever come off as actual adults, and in particular when Zoe and Eva are talking to each other it's like two overly mature YA protagonists are talking to each other, not a teacher and a student. Devon's not quite as YA protagonist, but it's still super weird to have him introduced as Eva's master and then have them immediately start talking to each other as peers. Maybe the author's just pretty young and didn't really have an adversarial relationship with any of the adults in their life as a teen?

yeah, since I plugged it I've actually been giving Void Domain a skim through re-read and while I don't know if I agree with there being a lack of "distinct voices" for the characters (my main gripe with the story is how much POV shifting to flesh out the side characters there is honestly) it is very "YA fiction" in tone. Eva never really comes across as a child in any of her interactions - but in setting she's like 13-16 years old. So it suffers a bit from the whole "why is some random teenager at the center of everything" problem that plagues all YA stuff. Still, despite that, the clunky prose, and the awkward structuring of the story, I think it's a fun read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Cicero posted:

Silverlake doesn't seem like the type to do head-to-head fights if she can avoid it. Even without his items and poo poo Zorian is a highly skilled mage, especially at mind magic, so I doubt she'd take the risk of confronting him right after waking up. She's more of a schemer.

I think that the author will write it like that but if I'm being honest I'm pretty sure that Silverlake would wipe the floor with Zorian if she attacked him immediately after exiting the time loop(assuming she doesn't sleep in way later than he does). They went head to head once already and Zorian didn't really "win" that time, it was more of a draw - and that was after he spent god knows how much time and resources making magical contingency items to deal with her. I don't believe that an ancient witch like Silverlake doesn't have some sort of magical tactical nuke lying around in her super secret dimensional space that would give her a considerable edge over some equipped-like-a-total-novice mage. If nothing else it would probably be fairly trivial for her to take his family hostage.