Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
finally caught up with The Wandering Inn, and I'm surprisingly satisfied to learn that (4.44) Ryoka was 100% correct about Magnolia being one of the greatest dangers to the entire setting. Her "saving the world" is wholly identical to conquering the world, and that's not even getting into the fact that her excessively narrow definition of what a person is will lead to hitler-level extermination

that said, there probably is a major dissonance in how all the readers view the antinium and how the non-offworlders view the antinium, namely that Klbkch and the free antinium just happen to be the only ones that aren't hivemind Von Neumann probes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
this thread has disappointingly little to say about the romantic life of my idiot insect son (the wandering inn)

I will say that the payoff for the laken chapters where his stupid blind rear end got his entire realm burned to the ground because he just had commit genocide to surprise his party guests was immensely satisfying, if still majorly :smith: for Rags. It provides pretty good context on just why everyone is potentially losing their poo poo about a new [emperor] emerging. Turns out all loving monarchs suck!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 17, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

He attacked Rag's tribe because he thought it was part of the Goblin Lord's army coming to attack him. It had nothing to do with the guests, except possibly in timing.

He completely intended to surprise his guests with a show of force. He could have easily alerted his guests about the army and they could have driven them off without any major conflict. He wanted to show the nobles that he was A Big Deal and could do Big Boy Things like genociding goblins. He also wanted his guests to be uncomfortable with the proximity of the army and dependent on him for their safety.

Well gratz Laken! You got to learn just because you have a godmode skill doesn't actually make you a god. I'm sure his namesake, Emperor Norton I would be proud. Considering, y'know, Emperor Norton's greatest act was interceding to prevent a pogrom against Chinese immigrants.

Seriously gently caress that guy.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 19, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Xun posted:

So from what I hear the German guy was the one who commits genocide in TWI huh :geno:

everyone commits genocide in twi.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Maybe it's just because I tend to be too hard on Erin, but I keep expecting her kind-hearted but hilariously ill-advised introduction of (poorly-explained) abrahamic religion to a race of weird bug monsters with identity issues to tailspin into 40k-style extremist bug crusaders setting the continent on fire, thus giving her the highest bodycount in the entire story.

from what little we've seen that's the Grand Queen's current ideology

e: also 'highest bodycount' is competing with rhir's literal forever war and terandria's one-thirty-year's-war-per-year bodycount

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 20, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The Wandering Inn is getting a video game

https://www.partlyatomic.com/games/twig/

it seems like its gonna be a shop management/recettear style thing. looks loving terrible right now but the concept is pretty neat!

also, twig, lol

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 23, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Silynt posted:

TWI patreon chapter spoilers:

There better be a reasonable explanation for what happens at the end of this chapter, because that sort of authorial fiat, where things suddenly go wrong just when the situation is looking up, is my absolute least favorite writing decision. For me, forcing a bad ending is much more annoying to read than forcing a good one (I realize that this isn't a universal stance but it is 100% true for myself). It's why I was so pissed when Brunkr died earlier in the story, because it felt like an arbitrarily forced bad ending to a storyline that was getting more positive.

Eh the exact manner in which peace talks get sabotaged is a bit silly but suing for peace always seemed way too fragile to actually work. In fact i'm kind of annoyed that laken is 'blameless' for this part of the breakdown. dude is written as hapless do-gooder way too much for me.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i honestly don't think it's going to end in a manner in which both PoV characters get a 'win' of some sort. It's not really possible to stop the fighting before it inflicts major damage on one or both of the armies, and it really doesn't fit the narrative of war in this story. War isn't a thing that has a tidy solution, even if it started as a mistake both sides end up with great cause for vengeance.

Plus I don't know why Rags would trust Laken even remotely enough to accept a "whoops my bad" and call off the fight. Like, maybe if Erin somehow showed up she would be willing to stop fighting, but i'm pretty sure everyone else in Rags's mind is "loving humans"

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 25, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
how does candle compare to TWI, out of curiousity? I tried reading worm and tGaB a bit and the prose kinda brought me down. not to say that TWI is written by Nabokov or anything, but if there isn't a heavy character focus i just feel like i'm reading about a mediocre video game.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI: literally the most :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: chapter possible

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Silynt posted:

Lol, I assume you mean the Patreon chapter (which I agree with), because that’s like the exact opposite of today’s regular chapter.

oh, yeah. The regular chapter is the most :smithicide: :smithicide: :smithicide: :smithicide: :smithicide: chapter possible.

loving laken

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 1, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI patron chapter: It's Hogwarts! Well not really.

I wish we had more Lizardfolk and their variants. Them talking like a kid on sugar rush is loving hilarious.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patron: That was a pretty satisfying chapter after the Raskghar attack seemingly coming out of left field. I enjoyed Pisces remarking on the nature of Goblin society, also him delving into the first steps of becoming a [Biomage], lol.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
^you talking about Veltras or Starsinger?

it's fine, but honestly the stuff with rags is just less interesting than the main plot right now since it's pretty much in a holding pattern

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI patron update: Well this is gonna be a huge clusterfuck. But it sure is interesting! Stupid thanksgiving break.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalas posted:

TWI early update: Every Mrsha the Great and Powerful chapter is a good chapter. Also, Death flags in a web serial format.

pirateaba is still doing the really annoying thing of outright censoring a 'plan' whenever the characters form it. I can understand creating suspense but the web serial format really doesn't lend itself to creating a mystery to be solved by observant readers. As it is, it's just kind of obnoxious.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
This time, on the Wandering Inn, its the most boring sport in the world!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the wandering inn had an update.

Good news, it's a good Rags update! Bad news, the good Rags updates are just "violence is inescapable" to a degree that even eclipses The Very Wise Frog:

"Tales of the Silver Prince posted:

“Prince Kassardis knew his three wives were cunning and vicious in equal measure, and the journey ahead would be hard and grueling. Therefore the very first thing he did was to seek out the Very Wise Frog, which lived on a nearby hill known as King’s Rock. The road to the Frog was well worn by pilgrims, so it was not a hard climb for Kassardis, who wore his fine leather boots, but it was steep.

“Very Wise Frog,” said Kassardis, when he reached the summit, “This brutal life is like a steel cage. My father’s kingdom is built on the stacked bodies of his officers. He sups on blood. His surviving wife picks his gray hairs and pushes toy soldiers around from her sedan.”

“Your father’s kingdom is very large,” said the Very Wise Frog.

“I will escape my own blood,” said the resolute Kassardis, “And flee to the land of Samura, where their cities are built on covenants of peace and no blood is shed unjustly. The journey is long and hard, so please give me some advice, as my family has treated you well.”

“Samura is a myth told to small children to comfort them,” said the Very Wise Frog, “Your wives are much faster than you and will catch up to you, then beat you savagely before returning to the time honored ritual of trying to murder each other.”

The Prince was aghast. “I refuse this life of violence!” he said.

“Violence is inescapable,” said the Very Wise Frog.

“Don’t gloat at me, frog!” said the Prince, “My trial is only just beginning. Surely you have some other advice for me?”

“No,” said the Very Wise Frog.

“Frog!” said Kassardis, growing panicked, “What do you mean by ‘violence is inescapable’?

“It is,” said the Frog.

“You’re a liar!” said Kassardis.

“No, I am not,” said the Frog, “Nor have I ever been. Violence is inescapable. Inseparable from life itself. Permanent. It is fixed in your cosmology. Forever. I could go on, but that’s besides the point.”

At this Kassardis was so enraged that he threw the Frog off the summit of the mountain. It bounced of a cliff and split like a wet melon, dying instantly, and posthumously proving its point to Kassardis.

Kassardis, for his part, wept.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 10, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Wandering Inn Patreon chapter: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Argue posted:

TWI Nonpatreon:

I'm happy to see that the plot threads are coming together, at least insofar as the Goblin Lord is concerned. It's gonna be so sweet when Tyrion's plan blows up in his face and he's faced with an allied army of goblins and drakes because he didn't account for Erin. At least I hope that's what's going to happen because I don't think my heart could take goblins being persecuted even more :ohdear:

Also, I bet the illusionist guy is a red herring and is actually on the level rather than an enemy agent, since Typhenous is already Tyrion's inside man. Or I guess he could be the thief Wistram is sending to collect the door.

Edit: or not, his name anagrams to something Veltras

It's actually somewhat obvious in retrospect, but Veltras 100% is the one who sabotaged the peace talks between Laken and Rags. It let him "save" Laken from death and made him in debt to him to use the siege equipment.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Edit: Or Wandering Inn for that matter (though I'd argue that wildbow's stuff, PracGuide, and Mother of Learning are all considerably better than Wandering Inn). Pretty much none of these web serials have the sort of straight-forward plot and defined end-point that you're implying Ward doesn't have.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI current and patreon chapter: Goblin stuff is the most unrelenting :smith: stuff possible :smith: :smith: :smith:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patron: ERIN YES

I'll admit that the prose isn't top of the line, and pirateaba cannot write an action scene to save her life. But the character growth and the themes about non-violence and ending a cycle of suffering between goblins and others, hell in the world in general, honestly makes this story incredibly worth it to me.

Who knew all you needed to do the make me like a mary sue was to make her wholly committed to nonviolence?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 19, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I called it "not the best." I'd hardly call it bad (except for the aforementioned action scenes). Even something like prose is pretty subjective.

Like, nothing wrong with saying you can't stand how it's written. Just maybe drop the BotL esque castigation of everyone daring to enjoy Bad Art

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Despite all the hate in here, I kinda love TWI.

She needs to start editing her chapters to be 75% shorter though, I don't have time for this!

if you're looking for works that exemplify brevity being the soul of wit, I fear web serials might not be the best genre to consult.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Dammit, pirateaba is actually taking time to edit what is likely the final chapter of this entire volume, which means I have to wait for 2 more days for #content :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
this is kind of random and i'm sure it's been asked before, but are there any web serials that are somewhat like I'm a Spider, So What? except actually well written and not translated by altavista circa 2001?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Oh, uh yeah I should have specified that by "like spider" I'm actually interested in works involving transmigration in a similar vein. i was actually kind of interested in Shun and Katia's relationship before the loving Hugo parts ruined that.

The leveling parts, especially talking about it like a minmax grognard were my least favorite bits (besides, again, loving Hugo)

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 26, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Argue posted:

You're in luck, then, because ADTRW now has a whole thread specifically for that topic! This is separate from the web novel thread, which has has largely become wuxia chat.

TWI q for patrons: Is the latest chapter, as speculated, the volume 5 conclusion? Because I don't know if I can wait til Saturday for that.

It is, in fact, extremely loving conclusive.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Anias posted:

There is a lot of professionally edited western transmigration fantasy that does a better job with this stuff than twi if we’re allowing published instead of WN

:justpost:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI patron: Pls no Ryoka

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'll confess i have read barely any of wildbow's stuff, but I do wonder if he's just getting trapped in the pitfalls of the capeshit genre

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Meh, I don’t want to get too down on your creative choices, but I waited over two weeks for this? 15,000 words worth of uninteresting slice of life of the least liked character in the series is a lovely start to an arc even with the vampire bit at the end. If you want to reintroduce Ryoka why do it via the most boring aspects of her life? A third of the way through the chapter I understood where she was at in her life and I started looking for the POV change which was would allow for a gradual reintroduction of the antisocial runner in the story of the hyper social innkeeper. But nope it’s been 6 days and nothing of note has happened to Erin, Rags, Gnolls, or antinium.

At the start of the chapter I did care what has happened to Ryoka. After 15,000 boring words I say let her die. Can we get back to the real story please?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

I like Ryoka a lot despite her issues, but both Flos and the Wistram interludes were extremely boring and bad imo.

The thing that got me to drop the story was the lead up to the Rags vs. Emperor fight though, because if I wanted to read about terrible things happening to people for no good reason I'd just read the back half of Worm again.

I'll get back to it eventually when I'm in a better headspace for reading depressing poo poo.

Honestly I actually kind of like Ryoka more than most, but she can be used really loving badly by pirateaba sometimes.

Ryoka is at her worst when she's being a loving wunderkind that just happens to have a graduate understanding of chemistry, practical knowledge to explain siegeworks, and her loner tendencies just means that shes the one that cuts through all the bullshit and takes decisive action exactly when needed.

She's great when she's a fuckup that can't stop relentlessly alienating everyone around her and continuously smashes her head against a brick wall thinking this time, this time her head'll break through!

I really enjoyed her desperately trying to engage in basic social niceties and being paralyzed at the thought of going to say hi to the girl she's been living next to and professionally interacting with for months. That's an extremely relatable mood :smith:. I'm not sure how I feel about her once again using her ingenuity to save the day but at this point I guess all characters are going to be able to pull something out of their asses so whatevs.

Hopefully she continues in her quest to realize that the real treasure was, in fact, the friends we made along the way.

Ytlaya posted:

Whether you'd enjoy it is heavily dependent upon what other web serials (or similar media) you are able to enjoy/tolerate. If you've read and enjoyed a bunch of other web novels/web serials, there's a good chance you'll also enjoy Wandering Inn (since it's pretty good as far as those go, even if I won't rank it among the best web serials).

edit: I have a personal hypothesis about the wild success of Wandering Inn (that I'm pretty sure is far beyond literally every other Western web serial, including wildbow's stuff). I think that Wandering Inn basically manages to be very similar to a lot of the bigger, more popular Asian WNs in terms of the setting and game-y elements (like the Slime one, etc), but exists in a web ecosystem where more English-speakers are exposed to it and is written from a perspective that likely makes it a bit more palatable to your average person in the US/West. Most other Western web serials stick to more "conventional" fantasy fiction writing (and are better for it, IMO), but it prevents them from having quite the same addictive quality that leads a bunch of people to contribute to a Patreon, etc.

Wait, seriously, TWI is bigger than wildbow???? I'm loving shocked by that. Granted I love this story but drat. What draws it to me, personally, is that at least as far the fantasy genre goes its shockingly optimistic, and not in a naive way. I also love how much text is spent on Erin figuring out the logistics of vaguely reproducing stuff from earth, and not even the good stuff just things that she kind of liked while she was going to school (and it finally turns out that it was honestly kind of lovely).

Also, and this is kind of big for me, I have difficulty thinking of any fantasy work that has such a strong theme of violence always being horrible. Fantasy/litrpg has such a bad tendency of granting acceptable targets for violence.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well it ends badly, but not in the way you might expect! Each and every one of them is a loving rear end in a top hat that just loves "doing what's best" for another person, especially if it involves never asking said person what they actually want. In a bizarre way, Jen actually pissed me off the most at the end, just because she knew plain as day that she was making her decisions out of nothing but outright selfishness.

that said i can't really fault her for her decisions because she got the rawest deal out of the three of them. I can't wait for Matt to descend into being an outright tyrant. Dude is a loving control freak no matter how much he claims to hate being in control.

I was really impressed with the author's ability to write the characters' thought processes to be so self-assured that what they were doing was the right thing, even when their rationalizations were plain as day.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 21, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
(Epilogue spoilers, also CW)

I mean, objectively speaking getting tortured and most likely sexually assaulted to the point that she can't stand to be touched or in crowds is a way bigger trauma than being a spymaster or leading a bloody rebellion. And she is the only one who didn't try to impose her will on the people around her. Carl didn't deserve the things that happened to him on Earth but it's pretty easy to read between the lines that he had no problem being the Hard Man that makes Hard Choices, and in fact reveled in it.

But Matt, loving Matt. luv to lead a revolution but not give a gently caress about the ideals behind the revolution or actually care about the dispossessed whose cause he was 'championing'. i honestly feel like he only wants to go back because he can't possibly conceive of a future where he isn't his little sister's 'protector'. He's gonna take it real well when Jen wants to just gently caress off and go live with the sylves in the forest. I'm sure he'll come up with absolutely lovely rhetoric to justify leading a pogrom to 'rescue' his sister from them.

I think if I had one complaint about the characterization it would be Sara's. for being an ongoing victim of domestic abuse she was way too emotionally mature and a perfect source of acceptance and support. Like don't get me wrong I can buy her uncritically accepting Jen's story and comforting her, but not only recognizing how all three of the main characters systemically lost their support structures, but also being able to communicate that like a social worker is a bit too much for me to buy coming from a 17-year old girl. But I can see why the author needed a character to voice those concerns and let's be honest children that have the emotional intelligence of someone decades older is kind of a mainstay of all fantasy writing.

That's kind of an interesting note, is there any fantasy writing that actually writes children that act like children being thrust into life-altering situations?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 21, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

It wasn't actually a factor in any of the choices she made or why she had trouble adjusting, and it could have been cut entirely without changing anything.

honestly, not to pick on you but i can't disagree more with this. the whole reason for her visceral discomfort was explicitly spelled out as originating from the trauma she suffered. Her not being able to sleep for more than an hour, her outright disassociation when she assaulted the football guy and the father, her complete and utter emotional repression except around matt and sara all have origins in her trauma. Like the story comes out and says it, what she went through has forced her entire identity into that of a survivor, and that's why i can't really muster any real recrimination for when she tossed Carl under the bus with full knowledge of what she was doing. poo poo sucks girl, do what you have to do.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
pirateaba put a poll up on patreon that says we're going to have arcs for every single alternate character PoV for the start of volume 6. That includes Flos (BOOOOO) but in the lead to go to first is Geneva! (YAAAAAYYY)

e: in second is the trans skelenton :spooky: :spooky:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 22, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Mate one of those is a conceit of the premise, the other is just unrealistic characterization.

And hell, it's not even unusual like I said. Children are almost always characterized as miniature adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: Huh! That's neat, vampires have a compromised immune system. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that vampires are unable to produce...antibodies? T-cells? naturally and need to consume human blood to maintain a healthy immune system, and without them, their supernatural tenacity is eventually overcome by disease. That's an interesting take on vampires, honestly. Though I wondered briefly if Himilt had a goiter, lol.