Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
I feel like I don't have the knowledge to explain this well, but does anyone else think that The Gods are Bastards lately has had a lot of exposition-y dialogue? Especially the Tellwyrn parts of this arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Absum posted:

Mostly unrelated but maybe not entirely, can anyone recommend me something fluffy. I don't even know what people are gonna come up with (if anything) but I feel like trying to read whatever you think fits.

The Gods are Bastards is kinda fluffy, I think. It's kinda adventure pulp.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

sunken fleet posted:

I read up to volume 9 or 10 like a year ago and haven't picked it up again since. I agree with what you say here but will throw in that the whole story is kind of frustrating in that it feels to me kind of like a bait and switch. Because the story early on puts a lot of focus on Trissany and co - there is a huge ensemble cast but despite that they very much feel like the "main characters". Growing and learning and doing Cool Things together. But they aren't. I don't know if I would call Sweet the main character - but he's the very obvious author favorite who comes in out of nowhere and steals the show. Like literally you just start randomly getting interludes from his POV - it felt like reading two stories that were not connected. At all. For like 6 or 8 volumes until at one point the two different sets of main characters cross paths for all of like two chapters before splitting off again. It's indescribably frustrating when an author gets me invested into and liking a character or set of characters only to sideline them for some smarmy git who spouts bullshit philosophy and is only alive thanks to his plot armor.

Also there are too many characters. I guess in the arena of endless serial fiction too many characters is better than too few and sort of a symptom of the genre but... there are too many.

I feel the opposite about the cast. I really enjoy this format of having multiple stories with a large cast of characters going on at the same time. It's like having a shared story universe but with just the one story.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Got up to date with practical guide. Had a lot of fun reading it, but definitely liked the first two books the best; I could read gritty low fantasy daddy/daughter conquest power hour forever, but as the stakes got raised and the story added more and more DBZ-esque linear power escalations via magical and Name contrivances, I found my interest lowering.

Am I in the minority in liking it when stories continually raise the stakes and do power escalations, or do other people like me just not speak up?

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

hopefully it stays as just one story and not like, 7.

I generally like the 3-4 story arcs. Weaving narratives together is and having characters meet in the midst of it is fun. Last arc was definitely too much, though.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
Prac Guide: Was that a new aspect for Masego? What have we seen from him before?

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Oo Koo posted:

"Devourer of Worlds" Somehow manages to make me invested in a world eating eldritch abomination learning how to people and becoming a magic teacher, despite never watching a single episode of RWBY or making it further in Chrono Trigger than finding Robo.

Can someone post a link to this? The googling the title is getting me nowhere.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

One reveal that confused me a bit is the existence of Autumn/Spring fae people. Was this ever mentioned before? I was under the impression the only fae were Winter/Summer.

As far as I can tell, this is one of those things that came up in the time skip that we haven't gotten full details on.

Presumably it's related to the "Quartered Seasons" project.
Some speculation: Masego mentioned something about proving the existence of Spring in his interlude, which implies they already know of the existence of Autumn. It's possible this knowledge is related to the Twilight Ways somehow.

I'm guessing the Autumn and Spring courts have always existed and were just extremely secretive, or they came into existence as a result of Summer and Winter disappearing, or the creating of the Twilight Ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
I think Practical Guide might have the best banter I've ever read.