Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm so bored of Flos and the twins in The Wandering Inn. They are the least compelling protagonists in the entire cast, and this mini arc is going on way too long.

I don't think it's a mini arc, it may well be a primary focus of this book.

And yes it's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's Xvim. Zorian is good at magic because of Xvim, and everyone else is bad at magic because they don't have Xvim.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet. It's good? Can you write a relatively spoiler free blurb of what it's about?

It's self-insert rat-fic.

It's also... not bad?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
MOL

Oh boy, I hope Quatach-Ichl just mashed his soul into the loop as well

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Omi no Kami posted:

a) Red robe is Zach, the times we saw them together he was using a body double/flunkie/magical BS of some kind.

Best idea I've heard is that Red Robe is a Zach simulacrum who decided he'd rather stick around. An awful lot of attention has been given to explaining the mechanics of simulacrums - far more than is necessary for the narrative - like how time dilation and the physical aspect of souls made it easy to figure out the time loop.

Edit: hah, beaten by the man himself

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Omi no Kami posted:

Lastly, this is jumping completely off the logic train and into wild mass-guessing territory, but Zorian is always unconscious for six hours after the loop starts, right? That's explained as his being asleep, but is it possible that he is the simulacrum/otherwise artificial human?

Yeah, this whole situation is pretty suspect: if for nothing more than "what happens in that time which Zorian doesn't see". And that's without going into the question of "why the gently caress does Zach start the loop at home?". How did he even get in the time loop without the mcguffins, and why doesn't he start it next to the time loop machine?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Affi posted:

I just don’t understand how orcs in prac guide can survive.

1. There are a lot of orcs.
2. They are all carnivores only.
3. They are huge.
4. They love conflict.

These are hard to combine into any functioning civilisation.

"Basically steppe nomads" would be my guess.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It basically changes genre entirely.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
One of Hierarch's visions was "the fields of a Hell tilled and strewn with villages", which makes me wonder if the Dead King didn't just move his kingdom wholesale to avoid Creation's bullshit.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

The Shortest Path posted:

Which like... seems pretty good? Live your mortal life in what's pretty much a utopia as long as you let your corpse be used after you die.

I doubt he wants old zombies, so "after you die" is probably around 30.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
PracGuide: So Pilgrim is theoretically freed of any restraints. That could be fun.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Why has no one gotten that girl a piece of slate so she can actually communicate?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
This might be the worst plan I've ever seen and I love it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

The Shortest Path posted:

You'd think so, but unfortunately it's a Flos chapter :(

E: It's actually pretty good this time!

I cannot overstate how little I give a poo poo about the Flos story

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
TWI always feels like it's about to explore a theme around the leveling system discouraging things which don't give concrete results and how it hampers culture... but then it never does. Plus apparently all that stuff is super good for getting levels??

The drakes should at the very least have a gladiatorial combat tradition.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Interesting to note that Akua has basically finished her transition from "imprisoned magical weapon" to "member of The Woe", which gives her a lot more narrative options.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The Sovereign Gate is a divine artifact, the people behind it are angels.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
New PracGuide:

Making the oaths to 'the Sovereign of Moonless Nights' instead of Cat personally seems like... excessively blatant a loophole? She feels real dumb lately.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
His moralities are a little more complex than that, it is worth noting that very few mages use simulacrums to the extent Zorian does and the equanimity with which those simulacrums take their deaths

Zorian kills other Zorians on a regular basis, and they don't mind.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Yeah, that's the same author as Worth The Candle. The ending is pretty flawed narrative-wise, so I don't remember it all that fondly.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Plorkyeran posted:

My vague recollection of it was that I liked everything including the ending. I think it does one of those ratfic subversions of an epic fantasy ending?

Unfortunately there's broadly a negative correlation between "subversion of standard narrative" and "good narrative". The last act breaks the 'explaining a plan' rule. Normally, if a plan is all explained in detail it guarantees it will go wrong - because otherwise it would be boring. There's no tension, no climax, you just read something twice and the book ends.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Lone Goat posted:

new Worth the Candles are up

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Affi posted:

Has anyone tried deciphering the code in worth the candle yet?

No one seems to, so I just did it myself:

Message 1
Your ancestors and relatives poisoned you. You were always too cautious and to manipulative. That was not your fault. Your fault lies in not recognizing that poison and working to excise it. Juniper can help you with that if you let him. I won't suggest that you need to love him or reverse what you have done to your soul, but it would help, if and when he's over Fenn.

Message 2
You love him. It's a deep love. Maybe you induced it in yourself as an ill-conceived experiment in manipulating him, or maybe it was the divine will of the Dungeon Master, but that doesn't substantially change the math. Your love for him is a core part of you, immutable by any technology or magic we have. It will poison any other relationship you have; I speak from experience. I lived past a hundred years old and never got over him, not for lack of trying, and not for lack of incentives. Turn off your dampers and let yourself love him. There's no reason not to.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, what did the cipher end up being?

Bifid with the keyword JUNIPER

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Argue posted:

Was it ever addressed what lichdad did to their souls? Didn't he do something to both their souls really early on and it wasn't really explained other than "something weird"?

Zach's comments made him think he had some sort of unknown resurrection method, so he mashed Z&Z's souls together on the assumption it would screw that up.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Red Robe's not psychic. Zorian is a better mind mage before he even gets real training.

The real issue with Red Robe is that he exists at all. How the hell did Zach ever get hold of QI's crown? Even current much older Zach can't take him.

The soulbound twins in Z&Z's class also got names and background, but never any follow up at all - and that seems like it could do relevant stuff. Honestly suspect the author just forgot though.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 21, 2018

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't know if Zach's necessary at all, Red Robe can use the dagger no problem. QI just needs to know about the loop and use his crown. I have no idea why he'd pick someone to be a looper that is narratively interesting, though. Red Robe should just be "some Ulquan Ibasan spy".

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
MoL: Uh, if QI knows about the time-loop, won't he just get hit by the divine whammy post-primordial release? (That's probably why he didn't get himself put into the loop). I can't imagine him being on board if he knew about that. He's also the only mage with enough knowledge to fix Zach's contract problem, so they've got to flip him somehow.

And just lmao that part of the contract includes "Stop QI's invasion single-handed. Also you are not allowed to kill QI."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'm also in the "skipping all K chapters" gang, it has never bothered me.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Peanut Butler posted:

what are the current good web serials that aren't about superheroes or knights and wizards?

I think they're called "books"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Still waiting for Chekhov's Munitions to pay off, it gets mentioned every now and then so we don't forget about it.

I assume it will be an issue with the Accords? Since they ban the use of extraplanar entities, and Army of Callow munitions are made from devils. Also going to make it hard for the goblins to sign up, either in Callow or Praes.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

SerSpook posted:

PracGuide: So this epilogue makes it clear Malicia is super, duper hosed. She's at that point in a villain's story where they're ready to begin cackling about their victory. The likely point this will all come to a head is when she meets Amadeus. Of course, she won't be expecting Ranger. And just because Scribe was dismissed from Amadeus' service, that doesn't mean Scribe won't be doing what she can to gently caress over Malicia and support Black in secret. Catherine totally knows what Black is up to as well, and also has Grey Pilgrim getting the Army of Callow moving ASAP. Also, pretty clear the Dead King doesn't think he actually needs her, no matter what Malicia may believe.

At this point, I'm wondering how the Goblin Matron is inevitably going to betray her. It'd be pretty fun if she uses the fact that she's a High Lady to press a claim as Dread Empress. With the support of all the Orc Chieftains that would be newly named Lords of Praes.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the entire goblin thing is a scheme from the Matrons and they just killed a bunch of their own people to lend it credence.

As for Catherine's Name, I figure that's just a sign Dread Empress is coming up for grabs rather than anything more personal.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Larry Parrish posted:

i think you're just letting erin bleed into everything. erin is an over the top whirlwind of a personality because she's really, desperately trying to forget how homesick she is.

Isn't she affected by magic that prevents her from being homesick?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There was a point in Wildow's writing where I realized you always knew what would be next.

"What is the worst thing that could happen that wouldn't actually end the book?"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Peachfart posted:

So, just wondering, but why are 99% of these stories about real life leveling or superheroes?
You'd think a horror or mystery or SciFi or even just a different type of fantasy story would also work as a web serial.

Broadly speaking, most people who want that just read novels. Serials tend to be where weird stuff publishers won't touch end up.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's not a secret, he writes a bunch of blog crap.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I got really bored after the first few K chapters and haven't read any of them since. It has literally never been a problem, which raises the question of why they even exist.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Yeah, there's strong "I want to be writing a different book" energy in that one.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Is "the city gets attacked" the only plot twist in TWI or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Going to be pretty funny if the wandering bard just kills the dead king.