Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Time to orbit: unknown is gripping, just binged all 80 chapters and loved it. Some noticeable quirks but nothing that gets in the way of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

Yeah, they're probably not chattel slaves as they aren't the personal property of a single person. Their kind of slavery strikes me more as compulsory indentured servitude or maybe even serfdom since where they can live and travel is heavily restricted. Their service can be compelled by any Artonan who has enough money. They're slaves in a general sense, belonging to the Artonan government or perhaps the system itself for the use of its citizens.

Also not all avowed are well compensated. The C and especially D and F rank avowed get either garbage pay or no jobs which means no pay. S, A and B ranks are the ones who normally make money and can find work and they're in the minority of avowed.

C, D and F ranks don't get to live on the shiny superhero island. Instead they have to live in a what sounds like a lovely little zone in North Dakota. Also being forced to live on either the island or in North Dakota and normally not being permitted to leave unless you're working means the restriction of the freedom of movement, which a lot of people take for granted but is pretty essential to the freedom of human beings.

You might want to read the latest Patreon chapter, 67. It explicitly contradicts you.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 68 He's gonna buy a new bomb coat for the Spree, isn't he?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Personally, I think the escape section drags on a chapter too long, even though all the ones stuck in the base hit right to get that feeling of isolation.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

New authors would rather believe they aren't succeeding because of other people and bad actors rather than face the fact their writing isn't good enough for anyone to care about.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Glad that the RR is catching up, SupSup patreon pricing is ridiculous. The writing is good but not "price of a new paperback each month" good. Bought one month to get past Man on the Moon and let it expire.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

TTOU 92 has certainly escalated quickly We know the Friend is happy to lie to achieve what he sees as the most useful outcome, so I doubt "they were all in on it" is true. Interesting that Sands intends to kill them all but isn't trying to use the bombs in their heads. Also god Aspen, https://xkcd.com/538/ to a tee

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 77 (yes, after saying it was pricy I broke and got the Patreon again, sue me)

Just realised Alden is being treated like the first time a oil shieks kid applies to a Ivy League. Admin is admitting him on the hope he can bring some juicy Artonian endowments to the school.

No wonder the councillor knew he was getting in.

Also, didn't even think that Hannah's mother would be keeping an eye on Aiden or greasing the wheels for him, so he has that aswell.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

It's funny how mad people are that characters were negative towards the protagonist. I think this (and people arguing about it) was a big cause of the high volume of comments.

Thank God Sleyca doesn't indulge the comments, because it seems like at least half of the readers want the story to devolve into characters just praising and being impressed by Alden constantly. At least one person was like "Skiff is the only honest one," which is an impressively poor level of reading comprehension.

People love their power fantasies after all.

SS77 Skiff knows Alden chose Rabbit because he was working for the Veldas, hence his comment about other choicew Alden made. But it's very amusing how many unrelated forces are trying to get Alden admitted when even one of them would do it. It's a clown car of nepotism.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I've also been reading Mirror World: Goddess Transformation based off the Rec, and it's a fun light read. Not too amazing, but enjoyable - in the long run the authors lack of worldbuilding chops will let them down but for now it's good a good rate of progression for a power fantasy.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SS 77 once again

Part of the dilemma is that the goal of the school is to turn Alden into a capital letters Hero, and the objections raised are mostly along the lines of being unable to make Alden one. But Alden isn't actually there to be a Hero, as he said to his councillor he's there for two other things, which Hero school is just the best place for.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Supsup 78 This update is more about setting up Aldens future relationship with Kon, which will be neat in the future but for now I just want to see Alden get accepted now that we know it's a certainty. He doesn't need to join anyone for lunch thanks to his packed foods, so he won't have a chat with anyone about how wierd his interview is till his gets his results later this afternoon

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bremen posted:

Notably important, it covers (SupSup 78) that if you unbalance your bound and unbound authority in the unbound's favor, something really bad happens.

Which is a big thing, since one thing not covered by the oath is that authority grows faster when bound and unbound authority are closely matched. Technically Alden could tell people that if they wait and take levelups in big chunks they'll level up faster overall, but this seems like a great way to lead to accidentally blowing affixations, which he can't warn people would be an issue. So he probably shouldn't say anything.

General SupSup power stuff Joe told Alden that it takes multiple levels and you repeatedly ignoring System prizes for you to even be at risk of it, and if you are the System will force-affix something beforehand (but really doesn't want to do so because it's seen as hugely immoral). Alden only almost died because he was stuck without a System for 6 months as he levelled.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Argue posted:

Pact and its sequel (well, more like a separate story in the same universe), Pale? I didn't finish Pact but Pale seemed much better at the time that I caught up with it and stopped. Either way it seems to fit what you want, although Wildbow does tend to get a bit edgelordy.

Pact isn't very good in my opinion, as well as trending towards overly dark it also does and then it gets worse too many times that you stop believing the the protagonist is actually at risk or isn't going to somehow survive superior forces he should not. Also the pacing is terrible and even more compact than Worm.

Twig, the one afterwards which is a biosteampunk story is alot better IMO.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pact certain is, which started this conversation, even if Worm isn't. I think themes of it show up throughout Wildbow's writing. He himself has said his experience of being bullied in schooling for being partially deaf drives those aspects of his writing, although it's certainly an intentional style choice at this point.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 79: Well that question was underwhelming. But I think it was supposed to be underwhelming, along with Alden's entire view of the admissions process. He finally realises that Neha was right all along.

As expected we've got our new group of recurring characters - Kon seems like a decent person for a overpriviledged teenager at least and Marcel is cool.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bremen posted:

I shall call our new characters Replacement Jeremy and Replacement Boe! I suspect Max only got in because they deliberately used a bad psychologist.

I actually thought the question was quite clever, in universe - it's testing the determination of the applicants, which would otherwise be hard to do in a single day. But as a reveal to the reader it wasn't anything special, especially after a week long wait where people were getting pretty hyped up wondering what it would be.

Overall, there wasn't a lot of excitement or reveals in the chapter, but it was enjoyable in that distinctive way SupSup is even when not much is happening, which made me happy.

I don't think Max has done anything too bad - as you point out one of the things they are testing for is determination, and if they were dissuaded by Max's pokings they probably didn't have it. Same as him baiting people into killshots - those still hurt, and he took them intentionally all day. That shows a ability to manipulate a fight and a willingness to be hurt to achieve goals, which is exactly what they are after.

Sure it's cynical thinking, but you need some of that as a hero - we've just seen a staff member talk about branding potential all day, there's no requirement to be fully selfless to be a hero. There's a reason they offer the ability to come back later fully ready for what the suits will do to you, and Max has shown he has the gut to be a hero.

Very much in a transition now, a bit like 63-64, but it'll be worth it. Question is how long Alden will stay in a school arc for.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SS 80 Making 15 year olds into the heros of the future might not be the best idea. But then, if formal programs didn't exist to give new superhumans a path to it, they'd probably do worse themselves, and the nepotism/local advantage would be even more pronounced

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 24, 2023

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

LLSix posted:

Yeah, that was a good moment. Having a multi-chapter arc devoted to his return allowed for a lot of character development and nuance which I really appreciated. Certainly wouldn't expect most serial authors to be able to keep me invested in such a long time devoted to a sequence of events with foregone conclusions though.

Sleyca had a point about this in the comment section of the most recent chapter - with the pace and length of a web serial, you can make elements of the Hero's Journey whole arcs in their own right. The Call to Adventure is a whole adventure in itself own right with the Moon Thargold arc, and the Refusal of the Call is the current one where Alden grapples with the question if he could do it again.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 68: If, as the Artonians, you want to slow a resource worlds comprehension and understanding of the Artonian knowledge base, having the "default" translation be a bit off when it's not a Artonian government vistor makes sense. We know Systems can be selective about the topics they translate (see the magical lockout at Leafsong) so it playing funny games with the translation space makes sense.

We also know the Artonians have a rough "development plan" for Earth, with Stuarts offhand comment about how it's too early for the Avowed to take over the government yet.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Piell posted:

Holy poo poo at TTOU Patreon chapter 96 I thought "yeah the new crew is dead now, time for murder mysterypart 2" was going to be enough of a shakeup but I guess there's always room for more

it's got to be the ship right?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

TTOU has just taken such a wild ride the last few chapters. It felt like forward progress was being made and conflicts set up from it, and now it's just all jumping around the place. Remains to be seen if it pays off or not, but story has been good so far.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 82

drat, this was not what I expected Boe to be up to.

Interesting the Boe seems to have picked up some System Lore from his wierd Unique class, but like Alden is unable to share it. Hopefully Alden can help him.

Where does Boe go from here though? While not wanting to get forced to go to Anesidora is reasonable when you have a life you want to live instead, he's broken all his ties to his former life and family - and his power doesn't sound like a simple one to live a quiet life with. Yet it also sounds like he's got a Sway power that might even work on other Sways, and we know that Sways tend to be ostracised even in Anesidora. He can get smuggled back to the US via Victor if he really wants, but is his life just moping around for a few days and then spending months in a System time capsule?

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 30, 2023

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bremen posted:

Theoretically, (supsup82) could Boe just not tell anyone about the emotion reader abilities and pretend he's just a U class that can attach himself to living things?

Even if he has to share his system profile, which I'm not sure he does, he tells us in this chapter he gets to name them. Just name them all innocent sounding things like "Synchronize with Target" and "Insubstantial while Synchronizing" and ta-da, his character sheet looks like a weird unique with mostly useless skills, but nothing like a sway.

SupSup 82 I have a feeling they probably are stricter on U class's for integration than others - I doubt Boe being able to rename his skills is unique. And he needs to actively use a skill to pass for normal otherwise he's just pulling on peoples emotions too much and it'll come lit in his interactions - see how he kept mentioning Aldens feelings in this conversation.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 82: Other skills are extendable, just rarely or up to a limit. BoaB is infinitely extendable, which isn't yet apparent from the profile. If Alden had like level 35 Boab I think you'd have a closer argument, but right now it'll be fine.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 1, 2023

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 84 as expected, Boe isn't going to suddenly move to join Alden. and confirmation the Boe is at least into women and Alden is just really Ace about Natalie.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 85:

There is something we can probably glean out of today's chapter.

Seems pretty likely that Boe fried his parent's brains with his powers on accident or purpose. He's got something he feels super guilty about that he wanted to tell Alden and they are living like cockroaches and only getting cleaned up after because Boe is funding it

SS 85:

i don't think the timelines work out for Boe to fry his parents with his power? Alden talked about Boe's parents being checked out in the first few chapters as a long term, ongoing thing as long as he'd known Boe. Boe would have got affixed at 14 at the earliest, and I'm fairly sure it was a few months before Alden.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

I totally see where you're coming from, but at least my own impression is significantly less favorable. The story contains so many amateurish mistakes and suffers from such aggressively terrible structure and pacing that I suspect the author is losing potential readers.

I think the stuff you point out that it does right is absolutely to its credit, but it does so many other things wrong that I see it as the aimless flailing of a less experienced writer who keeps getting bored of a setting or storyline after a dozen chapters.

It's gotten so excessive that the guy is regularly adding character appendices to his chapters because he keeps rotating and adding characters so frequently that nobody who's reading it can keep everything straight in their head. That's not lex luthor playing chessmaster from on high, that's a blind guy with an uzi spraying in every direction and hoping that he gets good enough RNG to generate some engagement.

While I don't think your criticism is completely off-base, sprawling character lists of named characters that it's easy to confuse are a long tradition in long fantasy series - GoT, Wheel of Time, Mazalan, etc. I think the serial format magnifiers the confusion, but the author is saying "having a big cast is important to making the world feel alive and the confusion of moving to a new life". I certainly agree that the pacing in this arc is slower than previous arcs, and that some of it could be cut, I don't think it's fatal to SS.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Supsup 95: Teenage hormones abound! Just because Alden is ace doesn't mean we don't get awkward moments. Lute is really enjoying not having the bubble of elite Androsian expectations over him, aswell as teenage girls.

Another slow chapter, but an enjoyable one. Gave me some laughs.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 15, 2023

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

This is the fun thing about EE's current work, Pale Lights. We start with 2 very different PoVs with their own quirks, then in the second book expands to 4 PoVs fairly evenly. Less interludes but keeps the story focused, especially in the first book.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Einander posted:

Okay, this is the point where I'm starting to agree that the current SupSup arc is getting a bit long in the tooth. (SupSup 100) It just didn't really do anything for the plot over all, and I'm including establishing/deepening character relationships and the arc of Alden's superheroic development the general emotional vibe in that. Everything that happened here has been covered before, so if you cut it and summarized it with one paragraph, I feel pretty confident that the story would feel the same on both sides.

While I don't fully disagree, I enjoyed the whole chapter. showing that Alden still has limits matters. I enjoy the content still the slower pace doesn't bother me.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

SupSup 106: I guess Lute is about to reveal that it's possible to do wordchains without paying them off, and that this is a secret only a few humans (namely the Velras) know (but there's obviously something bad about it, since it's effectively described as "unhealthy").

Curious what's going to become of Alden's warning. I feel like it might work (at least with some of the victims), since Manon's ability seems to require constant "maintenance" and she won't be around to counter-act Alden's words/actions.

Based on the chapter with Manon's PoV, I get the impression her power works by letting her emphasize/de-emphasize peoples' already existing thoughts/feelings. So with Alden himself, she was probably only able to (temporarily, before Boe/Jeremy pointed it out) make Alden think positively about her because Alden is generally a nice person. So she de-emphasized his suspicion and highlighted his natural "desire to get along with people and assume the best about them." I think Lute's speculation about the Artonans' intended use is likely pretty spot-on - the power is likely intended to do things like remove unwanted distractions from your mind.

Also feel bad for Lute. I wonder if the reason his classmates hate him so much is just because of the Velra stigma.

Speaking of Number Man, I think his power was my least favorite in a story that is otherwise generally quite good about interesting and consistent super-powers.

As best I can tell, his power was basically "can do everything perfectly because everything technically involves Numbers/Math," and that there were effectively no limits to this. His power was functionally just a somewhat lesser version of Fortuna's (I think that's the name of the lady who had the "literally execute anything perfectly" power - this one bothered me less because there was an actual plot explanation for it and it did exactly what it says on the box).

SupSup 106: The way I read Manon's interlude wasn't that she could touch people's brains, but she could "read" them by her power telling her how to manipulate people in her environment to achieve her desired goal.

She's not touching people's minds like a Sway, but humans are plenty manipulatable without doing so, if you have superpowers feeding you the answer. If she asked her power how to get two people in her boater to gently caress each other, it would give her the answer on how to engineer a social situation it would happen in - but the emotions and attraction would come from the people, and still be real. In some ways that's scarier than directly manipulating your mind - because there is no way to distinguish it from real experiences.

Kinda like a limited Worm's Contessa.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 16, 2023

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SS 107 Well, that is both obvious-in-hindsight and fairly neat info about how Wordchains work. And having a asexual main character means we get to witness teen drama as an amused bystander, rather than wierdly engrossed - the bits about Lute and Emilija were funny, aswell as the growing assumption Alden must have a crush on one of his female friends.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SS 108 I have no idea how this is going but seems amusing.

sounds like... she's trying to sue? extort? money out of Manon. But why is Lute's mum here?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

If you're looking for something big to read, and haven't read The Wandering Inn yet, that will keep you busy for quite a while.

TWI is bad though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

LLSix posted:

To me this reads as describing a society trending towards totalitarianism. Not only have they de facto removed the right to protest (if you have to ask the people you're protesting against for permission to protest then you don't have a right to protest), they've so brainwashed the population they think this is a good thing. But Sleyca hasn't yet revisited this, or any of the other Anesidoran laws, to show how they result in negative consequences. So is Sleyca laying the groundwork for a later reveal, or do they sincerely believe people shouldn't be allowed to protest without permission? I don't know.

There's also the reason that all Avowed are exiled to Anesidora to begin with - Avowed are inheritly instruments of violence. 100 S Ranks or A ranks congregating in a protest outside a government people is threatening in a way that 1000 regular people is not, because every one of them has been granted superpowers that are tuned towards violence. They are essentially going around with rocket launchers strapped to themselves at all times. And I doubt you disagree that a bunch of people protesting with a assault rifle holstered on their back is a different situation to the same group protesting without it, even if it's a peaceful protest. And this isn't unintended - remember Stuarts offhand comment about how eventually they expect Avowed to take over Earth's government? The expression of potential power Avowed represent changes how they are perceived.

On the Lute discussion. I agree it's basically a seperate story at this point, but it's neat so I'm enjoying it. SS is a very different story at this point when it blew up on moon Thargold, and that is going to disappoint some people, but I'm happy to read Anesdorian slice of life for awhile yet.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 12, 2023

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

uPen posted:

The new Patreon app has really been having trouble with these recent updates. I’ve had to swap to reading it elsewhere so it doesn’t choke on the extra long chapters.

Also no wonder Sleyca’s been struggling with the backlog, this could have easily been another week or two of updates on its own.

Email wins once again.

Also 114: What if your grandmother who like to plan out their kids lives for them can tie you into her career of choice at 14 and also control the tap to eternal youth?

Aulia is no worse a person than many parents and grandparents in reality - she does seem to care about her family. Just that as a religious person, her version of caring isn't yours and you're not going to convince them you know better than the universe. Jessica is worse, honestly.

Poor Lute

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Aware posted:

So I started SS and it was a bit slow to start and then Alden's first summoning and the moon and Kibby kicked total rear end and now I feel like he's been back on Earth and it's been 40 chapters of absolute batshit boring slice of life with dull drama and setting up characters that arent very interesting apart from Lute. does it get good again? And if so, when so I can skip to that chapter.

I think the fic going forward is going to be more of the second than the first, and if that doesn't grab you then you shouldn't expect it to change much. It's not for everyone.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Griddle of Love posted:

I stopped reading a while back when the story discarded the fascinating moral dilemma that kept me hooked for so many chapters instead of actually tackling it. Have they had the Title Drop moment yet?

The Time to Orbit is no longer unknown, but there's not been an explicit Title Drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SS 120: Turns out Aulia's high pressure cooker environment pissed off both Lute and Hazel who'd guess? As much as a teenage brat she is being right now I kinda pity her.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 3, 2024