Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

awesmoe posted:

Supsup 121:

and hey, way to go Alden, two problems solved at once!

She ain't in exile yet and she knows a guy who is good with boats so watch this space.
Also my prediction for where this arc is going:
knights stack shitloads of wordchains and fob them off to volunteers via chainer avowed (and the only knights Alden has met were not on combat duty so he's never had a chance to gremlin them yet). This has been pretty firmly foreshadowed. Hazel is going to use her skill on one of the two knights we saw and it's abomination time babyyyy

I know it's slow at times but drat if SS isn't the only web serial that's ever grabbed me with speculating and wondering about its world building like this. In a real (published in one go) novel authors are free to just go back and insert foreshadowing and references whenever they want but in web serials you can't really do that in the same way. Instead SS is just planned incredibly well. Every throwaway sentence suddenly becomes relevant to some critical plot detail. I don't know how with its glacial pace it can feel so constantly dense like it does.

In terms of the overall plot of the whole series it seems pretty clearly to be a Madoka to me. That even had a whole half-baked justification that it was all happening because of entropy running out which SS's chaos seems like a more thought though (and adapted to be similar to our global warming) version of.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
For the first part (SS patron) it's been repeatedly shown that stacking wordchains makes you OP. The reason I think that knights do it is both what NO says about Stuart's comments and also speculation about how did they fight chaos before the system made knights what they currently are? If the situation was truly so dire they would use every tool at their disposal and also knights are shown as getting unlimited personal resources so that could include wordchain use (E: I happen to be rereading 59 and there's a comment made about "the reverence and extraordinary support they enjoy from the rest of wizarding society").
Lute even keeps offering Alden only the good half of chains.

Regarding the second point, we've certainly been told that something really bad happens if unhealthy chains don't get paid off suitability and also that some chains can have some really brutal debt so what if somebody dies before their debt is fully paid? What if there were so many chains stacked that it's impossible and never intended that the knight could pay their own debt but that's fine because they just visit the temple before things come due.

Regarding why, maybe this year is a difficult year due to various chaos related happenings, maybe they are just well prepared just in case. It's probably quite routine at this point because as long as they get to the temple in time, what could go wrong?

I admit it's definitely pretty speculative on my part, but it fits the facts we've been explicitly shown and it also fits the foreshadowing that Selyca likes to sprinkle around IMO. I think it's really unlikely to happen before the visit to Stuart where Alden reveals that he's a knight and begs Stuart not to go through with it to no avail (which when he can't deal with it leads to them finally using that bone fragment to sacrifice Stuart's authority in Gorgon's rite to free him from the burden without him dying but that's far far in the future (but then he gets killed by his father anyway because the break from tradition and the authority destruction is abhorrent to atonians (and is why Gorgon's race was genocided) and that (and the knowledge that artonan society causes chaos somehow as a global warming analogue) is what leads Alden to destroy the big-C Contract and sacrifice himself to take the universe's chaos burden)).

If you're going to make wild guesses, go big or go home IMO.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 9, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
In the Mother chapters she specifically states that the skill designers really went for flexibility. So, how many other classes/skills can it make obselete?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I hope Sleyca is okay, RR hasn't updated either so it doesn't seem likely to be just "oops didn't finish this one in time".
E: nvm guess it's not that late in America

SS122 patreon People were talking about squishy low rank supports getting targeted since like chapter 3, makes sense to see it here. Can't wait for Alden to start catching things out of the air of course.

SS107 RR

quote:

Lute was still eyeing him nervously. “The Palace of Unbreaking won’t let Chainers bestow a wordchain—whether it’s beneficial or not—on unwilling people under normal circumstances. It’s counter to their entire ethos.”

Hmm it's difficult for patreon readers to comment on RR chapters as they come out because I don't want to be taken as implying that something has or hasn't happened yet in the patreon chapters.

I will just have to settle for SS 122 spoilers maybe this is why hazel can't go into exile because the palace kicks her out when they find out whose consent she violated. It's akin to insulting the Quaternary herself! And why she's angry enough at Alden to use her skill on the knights which I think is going to happen. Manon really aced her check to give Aulia a really bad time huh.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 11, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Griddle of Love posted:

I guess his Mass Bestowal is an exception then? I thought it was implied that he just slapped the whole band with a chain without their knowledge.

Ss 107 when he shared with Alden it required his consent from the system. So either he got it prior from the band or they just clicked yes on their interfaces without saying anything because it's not the first time he's done it for the band? I agree it's not entirely clear.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Kon is an S-rank adjuster with no relevant spells and he's been shown to still be pretty effective just from raw stats yeah.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
If this doesn't sum up the blue box problem I don't know what does

quote:

A note from Arcs

all this exp is being tracked for real! I'm not pulling these numbers out of nowhere!

Well. I guess I am, technically.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Supsup 123 patreon: I think this chapter is foreshadowing, other than the obvious one, how people are going to react really badly when the chaos event goes wrong ie not work as a team and try to show off etc

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Fair enough, it might just be my latent desire for big plot events rather than something based on too much.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Enkor posted:

SupSup 121/123: I cant figure out how Manon knew Alden was behind the letters. All that subterfuge was for nothing?

Re-reading 101 helped settle some things about how miserable she is, too. It was nice that C-rank is such a personal insecurity, and was also a serious obstacle in her petty party sabotage. A good villain. I wanted Alden to learn what happened, but with Hazel gone and Lute buying the video blowback story, it could loom for quite a while.

Supsup120s: he was the only other person involved, it was either him or Thwart Hog. The point was plausible deniability so she can't sue him or whatever. You get this a lot in real life about how everybody "knows" somebody has done something but that's not the same as them having said "I did this thing". You also see it with Hazel where right up until the end Alden was still not 100% certain and was relieved when she admitted it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Supsup 124 patreon

quote:

“I just want to hang out in the background and find ways to use my power to support everyone else,” he said finally.
Lol. Statements that will age well.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I saw a great theory on RR (109) comments that I had mostly thought about a bit before but never connected all the dots:
Jessica is clearly illegally genetically engineered with artonan dna or something. But the poster speculated that she's TOO good of an avowed, in that she either has huge authority but no chaos potential, or an actual authority sense (or at least the contract figured the odds of her gaining one are too high) because we know that the artonans would consider binding somebody with an authority sense would be a reprehensible act. That's why her kid with a normal human has the artonan dna diluted enough to merely be SS rank. This would also explain the Leafsong thing because Aulia is working on getting her some teaching or that knowledge somehow.

I wonder if this then means (RR patron 122 or so) If earth's chaos does rise a bit due to whatever goes wrong at the demon summoning, if she is badly affected (which would imply the latter of the two theories above, because the system says it stabilises avowed and she couldn't have that). I don't mean a full chaos apocalypse or anything, but some kind of Event. Although having said that we've seen that little wizards are naturally resistant to chaos so maybe it'll be her and Alden saving people (which also redeems her somewhat).

e: I looked at some timeline pdf on the discord and the Matadero boat trip that Alden was invited to happens before the Stuart visit.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 19, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Another argument for it that was pointed out to me is (SS 121 spoiler)

quote:

She tried Jessica first because weak people were usually easier. Then Cady Velra.

Without much hope, she tried Alden himself and found he wouldn’t work either.
Why is Jessica the normal human impossible for Manon to influence? Is it something vague like "nonspecified mental resistance" that hasn't been brought up once until now? Or has her metaphysical self been enhanced/edited in the say way as her physical appearance has?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ytlaya posted:

Also, it seems like Aulia understands very little about "actual magic." She probably isn't even aware "authority" is a thing, since neither are the vast majority of other humans. How would she even be aware of stuff like "if Jessica has an authority sense, she'll need an education in wizardry to use it"? And keep in mind Jessica would have been born pretty early into the existence of Avowed on Earth, so they would have known even less when she was conceived.

Yes, but (RR109) she doesn't have to be aware of any of that to say "I spliced my daughter with an artonan wizard therefore she might become a wizard therefore I should start a side project to see if I could get contacts in a wizard school just in case".

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Sure, that's a good point. I'm not going to die on this hill or anything it's just a theory that I think makes some crumbs that Selyca has left lying around add up. As for how, SS 121ish I agree that's definitely a presumption on my part and wouldn't have been possible too soon after the Artonans arrived unless she found some healer or life shaper or however that works to do it. Wordchain of retrieving a filled condom from the trash.

Something like that seems like it could in theory be something that exists in this universe, or possibly not also.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 124:

Stuart is such a good kid. I'm glad Mother pointed Alden his way. He keeps doing wizard bonding stuff with Alden that he probably thinks fly over the human's head, but Alden actually sees all the thought and effort that goes into.

He's going to give Alden an authority pat and poo poo himself when Alden paths back.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Fair enough I will not do it going forwards. Let me know if there's any currently that you would like me to remove.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nitrousoxide posted:

Stuart said that he had to visit with Alden on the 15th of December, and he couldn't wait until Alden's winter break because he "had things." Alden took this to mean that Stuart was planning on affixing at some point in his winter break.

Ss80 or so I think Alden might use the sex gum to show Stu how affixing feels to try and convince him not to suffer that misery. Stu will of course assume at first Alden is coming on to him. When this, of course, fails I have the very wild speculation that over the course of the rest of the novel, Stu will handle his affixation badly as a contrast to how insanely serious and dedicated he is now. When he's considering self-sacrificing, Alden will eat that bone fragments and make the first start to "Alden & Gorgon's affixation-b-gone" business empire.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
beats arguing about the definition of slavery again

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's also very much a typical colonial tactic to elevate a small group of the colonised and let them keep the rest of the people in line.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mazerunner posted:

I guess if you have literal proof that the universe runs on 'take a penny, leave a penny' it does kind of change things

This is IMO the strongest proof we have of why artonan magic is causing chaos. What sacrifice does an artonan wizard make when they cast? None, they take their cake and eat it. I really strongly believe that this is a global warming analogy where they know their lifestyle is causing this big looming problem but also fundamentally fixing it would require upending their whole lifestyle so they just keep kicking the bucket down the road with new colonies and so on.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 25, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ytlaya posted:

They use their authority to cast? They can exhaust their authority just like an Avowed/Knight. It's like a person using their body to lift a weight. It's not really similar to, say, "a wordchain where you don't pay the debt side" (since there really would be no downside to that).

I do think that there's probably a link between the chaos problem and something about how Artonan society functions, but I don't think "people being wizards" is a part of that, since that's just "people using their authority to do things." (not sure if this has been mentioned in non-Patreon yet)Maybe something to do with wordchains, since I imagine the Palace of Unbreaking exists for a reason; its existence kind of implies that not treating wordchains properly causes big problems (and it may have initially been created in response to such problems).

I can neither confirm nor deny anything that may or may not have been mentioned in patreon, but you're absolutely right that nothing of this has been confirmed yet in RR. It is purely my speculation on the fact that all other magic we've seen (wordchains and Gorgon's peoples') require real sacrifice to do magic, and Artonans' does not - it just fatigues the caster who then recovers and has lost nothing. Maybe all magic period does cause chaos, sure.

We do also know both that Avowed have a stabilising effect against chaos by their very presence (does this work on a universe-wide scale?), and earth is used as a dumping ground for some amount of demons/chaos, presumably from the "important" Artonan planets, every year.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 25, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, when a person lifts a heavy object it doesn't require "real sacrifice" either, but there's still an exchange of "energy." Authority itself appears to be a natural part of the universe/life (or at least intelligent life) in SupSup, and magic is just "using it to do things." And when people use wordchains they're also fully recovered after they pay off the debt, so there's no long-term sacrifice there either.

"Wordchains that people don't pay off" are the only real thing that truly goes "unpaid" (and thus the biggest source of concern IMO). It appears that magic can facilitate "avoiding the debt" (which is otherwise not possible, since the debt normally comes automatically). This would make Artonans the only/main source of such a problem.

I absolutely do not believe that wordchains going unpaid are the only (or biggest) source of chaos. They're portrayed as somewhat archaic and not all that popular in Artonan society outside the religious organisation that is the Palace. They are not mainstream at all, in the way that 1/3 or whatever of Artonan society are part of the spellcasting caste.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
stories are just too high effort and serious without typos :colbert:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
See I almost feel like it's the other way around, for me at least, because it's easier to just keep reading a book when there's more chapters in front of you and it takes something reasonably egregious to get me to not finish even a book I'm not having a great time with.

But when reading a chapter a week, it's very easy to be just like "I don't really care about this any more" or to pause reading for a year and then never pick it up again. Supsup is the only serial I've ever really stuck with once I exhausted the backlog and I read a LOT of fiction both web serials and published novels.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ytlaya posted:

There's this part that confuses me:

My best guess is that it needed to be higher than ground-level to cross into enemy lines for some reason, at which point it was lowered to the ground.

it also was very hard and compressed which I interpreted as the reason why it didn't break. "Should" referring to if it wasn't so well constructed with her shaping. I definitely interpreted the speed as just her raw power.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Thus is the problem with SS126 gym chapters

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I dropped it because it jumped the shark for me when The Princess In Yellow was revealed to also be a moody disaster lesbian that just want to hang out. I do generally enjoy it, and will probably go back, but it was just like "okay. this is what it's going to be every time now right. this is what it wants to do".

It's not even really a criticism in that I think that was a poor decision or anything, I fully support the author (who occasionally posts here) choosing that this is what she wants to write.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 30, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'll check it out for sure thanks.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Patrick Spens posted:

I don't think that's it. I think she's got an open contract with that Informant wight. She had to pay for the info that Alden was seen entering his dorm.

This was my read too.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Very good theory raised in the discord re SupSup patreon 127:
Jeffy is the most likely candidate for refusing level ups from the system because it keeps giving him water stuff. He possibly mentioned this week the start of being able to feel his authority. The system will eventually have to bribe him with land skills, and showing everybody that waiting is a good strategy.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 1, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nettle Soup posted:

SupSup 115:I've been saying the gloss influenced the whole of the story from the point he got home and the cat food was missing, and people called me mad!

Who's mad now!

SupSup 115: The bit that really stood out to me on a re-read was how easily Alden was able to waltz out of the school and all the guards/checks in place to prevent this mysteriously temporarily failed for that exact moment.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Supsup Ch 12:

quote:

Alden’s school was ostensibly big on security. Getting into or out of the building during the middle of the day was supposed to be a whole thing, with permission slips and id checks and no child unaccounted for, ever.

But when he reached the main office, the mail guy was delivering heavy boxes, and the front doors were propped open by a dolly.

Alden didn’t even have to talk to anyone.

He just walked right out, crossed the parking lot, and kept going.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
There's quite a lot of talk throughout the whole series that the gloss has been very mythologised and people often blame anything at all bad that happened to them on it even if they had nothing to do with the Velras. The girl whose suddenly dead pet caused her to ask out Lute is the prime example.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ytlaya posted:

I doubt this is the case, especially because he mentioned it with respect to using a spell impression. Even Alden doesn't have any control over his spell impression.

If an authority sense was something Avowed could just stumble into, it would have happened already. Alden was only able to achieve it due to months of being in an environment perfectly tailored towards helping him feel it, plus regularly doing "baby wizard exercises" with Kibby. I feel pretty confident saying that Jeffy is not going to start feeling his authority.

SupSup 127 This is not quite right. While yes it took Alden that to achieve a full authority sense, he was feeling various vague/weird stuff from teleports for example long before this. If Jeffy (who has been an avowed longer than Alden had at the time) has refused a level up already (not impossible) then he absolutely could be feeling something even if yes it's absolutely not a full authority sense in the wizard meaning of the word.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

uPen posted:

SS127 I’m really enjoying Alden worrying about people asking questions about his oddities meanwhile literally every non-Alden perspective is everyone talking to each other about how weird Alden is and what’s going on with him.

Also feels like Lute is going to figure something out soon. He’s skipping class to spy on Alden and between how his boss, his grandmother and the school treat Alden he knows that kid is weird.

SS127 Max is IMO nearly there too after hearing Marsha say she had to dodge the b-rank skill imo. He's been shown to be watching Alden carefully before.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bremen posted:

I am (SupSup 115 theorizing) operating on the assumption that the gloss can't actually change people's minds, just manipulate random events. The Polish kid with chainer (I'm sure I'd butcher the name) wanted a high strength meister class, and didn't want to give chainer to the Velras, so the gloss had to find someone with a high strength meister class that would be willing to trade for chainer and then trade it to the Velras. And it had to do it fast, because Hazel's window was about to close. So getting Alden an early start on class trading was quite likely important there.

Far from a sure thing to be sure, but it seems like a reasonable theory to me.

(SupSup 115 theorizing) one thing you're also missing is that Aulia strongly believes that people she connects to during the gloss are somehow sent by the gloss to connect with her, beyond what they immediately do for her during the gloss effects. That taxi driver is brought up constantly but also it's almost certain that she thinks this about Alden too, that meeting him was lucky beyond just getting Hazel the class. Who knows, perhaps she's right?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I bounced off PGtS when I tried it previously but now I'm getting into it (just started book 2) I'm definitely enjoying it. Would recommend.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Griddle of Love posted:

How long pre-Gloss was Gorgon's 75% prediction?

According to the timeline on the discord (which is the only reason anybody would want to visit that discord it's pretty dire and seems to be full of 12 year olds no I won't introspect why) it's unclear but possibly up to a month before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
This is the question that's come up a few times with Manon's power now too, so I do agree with your read there Selkie. Is it mind control to distract somebody or be friendly with them? To tailor their environment such that they only receive stimuli that push them in the way you want to move them?