Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Nitrousoxide posted:

This would explain why it's really feeling pretty aimless so far. There's not really much an overarching plot here other than "cultivate and get stronger."

There's a few minor plotlines that have gotten started so far:
Meizen's and Ling Qi's relationship
Ling Qi's new spirit beast
The 1st year council politics
The barbarian incursion near the mountain that Ling Qi has to keep quiet about
Ling Qi's and her Mother's long distance letters.
The Sun/Bai conflict

But none of these really feel like overarching story plot lines, just incidental that sort of slow burn in the background and pop up whenever the author wants to advance them. I hope one of them turns into something at least.

Given her background, Ling Qi, starting out, is not the best at long-term plans, if only because she never really had the opportunity to do so beyond the original goal of "survive" while on the streets.

Ling Qi wants to make it to Inner Sect because that's basically going to guarantee that she can live a comfortable life after she pays off her debt to the Sect via military service. Her initial build and her decisions are geared toward that goal of making it through the tournament at the end of the year and getting into the top 8 there. She hasn't (yet) thought of what she'd do after that, but there may be events during her time in Outer Sect that inspire her to think about life after Inner Sect (assuming she made it).

Katreus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Threads of Destiny Chapter 44

Meizhen actually trying to comfort Ling Qi with a quick pat on the shoulder after she took her first life? My you've grown.

You really like Meizhen. Meizhen's character arc is pretty satisfying, though, and it's nice to see her life measurably improved after going to the sect.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Threads of Destiny 226

I almost feel like the Duchess legitimately wants to connect with her daughter, but is like really terrible at it. Probably because of how much 8th realm folks have lost touch with the mortal world. I get the impression that these things she keeps doing to Renxiang like having her hang out with her new sister or visit herself in the evening are not some 12th dimensional play to set up Renxiang as a chess piece. But rather that she's just actually trying to do motherly things and her aura, and lack of understanding of what's normal (and the terrible trauma she inflicted on Renxiang when she made Liming) ruin it.

Edit:

Oh, the rare second-person perspective. That's hard to pull off.

My reaction is similar to Rinaldo's. I really like that particular interlude. It's got some metal statements in it, and the reveal is pretty cool.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really liked that chapter. It took a second read to actually get what the Duchess was asking of her, but I think I got it now.

Just a series a huge bombshells in these next few chapters. Timestop with the Prime Minister which basically confirms that she's the only thing keeping the Duchess tethered to the world. She had some psychiatry advice for her which has mostly matched what Sixiang has been telling her, so she's got a good measure of Ling Qi. Interestingly she seems to think Ling Qi has some interest in woman, but is paralyzed by her fear, though I don't know if I super agree with that. She's certainly shown interest in tons of men. I can't think of any woman she's shown any real interest in other than maybe a bit of jealously toward Bai Meizhen when she paired up with Bao Qingling. But that only popped up a couple of times and in a really modest way and hasn't reappeared in a long time.

I do agree that her fear of men born out of her environment she and her mother were in when she was a kid certainly paralyze any movement on that front though.

Also, the Duchess and Prime Minister had their new daughter together with no man, which it sounds like the nobles are less than pleased with.

The Prime Minister does not think Ling Qi has interest in women. She's just generally criticizing Ling Qi for being too scared to consider romantic attraction with a potential partner (currently).

Ling Qi and Bai Meizhen both had to learn how to let go of the intensity of their relationship since they were both each other's first friends. And Ling Qi is naturally possessive or "greedy," as she calls herself, so she has some flare-ups of it, although she's much better about recognizing healthy boundaries now.