Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I just got to The Twist in TGAB and I'm not sure which would be sadder, if it was planned from the start or if it was made up on the spot. Way to make a cool and unique setting less cool and less unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

bewilderment posted:

But it's mostly pretty good (except when a minor number of times it (possibly ironically, possibly not) namedrops LessWrongers)

It's definitely not ironically. I bounced off it real fast when it became apparent it was self insert fantasy for Scott Alexander, and he spent the whole time making it clear how much more clever he is than anyone (both as the writer and the character) and how institutions of any kind, corporate or government, only get in the way of his cleverness. Maybe it gets better later, but I couldn't get past the start.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Mother of Learning updated a couple days ago.

I'm curious where it's going. It's gotten more meandery than ever now that we know there is a clock.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lamquin posted:

Exciting things happening in the latest Wanderin Inn.
I'm happy that a character finally called Erin out on being ... well... Erin. I'm curious to see what the Magical Innkeeper class she obtained is and what the two new skills do. All in all, new things happening and a brisk pace!

In stark contrast I'm finding myself bored with The Gods are Bastards; the Author himself posted that he's feeling burned out on writing the story. I think I need to let it build up a backlog for a year and then get back to it. The current arc better than the previous one, but I'm really having trouble getting over the whole "explained" Magic/Sci-Fi he did. :shobon:

I have to admit I didn't expect to get hooked on Web Serials, but having the Wandering Inn, a practical guide to evil (read it, it's good!) and now the new Worm adds a nice amount of things to look forward to during the week. :)

Yes! I came here to post this. I'm excited for the new arc, I think this will start 4.x.

I also gave up on The Gods are Bastards when the twist took center stage. I'm reading those three + The Iron Teeth as they come out. And reading my way through Twig an arc or two at a time, now that it's done.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Xun posted:

So I've been reading the Wandering Inn at the recommendation of the thread and while this does make me feel like one of those people, does the christianity thing become more prevalent? Or is the chapter about Pawn finding the light of Jesus the most obvious it gets? I should have more faith in the author trying to write Erin as a christian, but that chapter is giving me flashbacks to the born again idiots that shout that the only way to be cured of our evil sins is to find ~jesuses light~

Have a little faith.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Charlie Bobson posted:

If I partly enjoy worm for having badass super hero fights will twig still appeal to me

There are plenty of awesome action sequences. Despite the lack of direct combat prowess of the main character that blastron points out, I don't think it's structured too different from Worm.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I'll still be reading on for a while to see how it goes though.

I think the main problem here is that a large part of what Wildbow does well are powers and action and the relation between the two, and so introducing a bunch of new characters where neither are happening seems like a terrible way for him to do it. I thought Relay and Crystalclear were more interesting in their small cameo than most of the therapy group were in the whole arc.

I hope the next arc starts off with a bang. Show off the kids' powers, put them in a situation where bad things might happen to them so I care. Team dynamics for a team not doing anything just aren't interesting.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm so bored of Flos and the twins in The Wandering Inn. They are the least compelling protagonists in the entire cast, and this mini arc is going on way too long.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Megazver posted:

Personally, I'd suggest Practical Guide to Evil and Mother of Learning. These are the two best ones, IMO.

Seconded. Those, plus Worm and Twig (jury is still out on Ward) are what I'd unequivocally recommend. The Wandering Inn is also quite good but has streaks of annoying storylines. The Gods Are Bastards goes off the rails IMO.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So Ward 4.1: Bitter Pill is Amy right?

Where are you getting that from? Amy is working for The Wardens, she was the Red Queen talking to Nilbog.

Milky Moor posted:

Of course, I've also been told it's done deliberately to promote engagement via corrections, so, maybe I'm the fool.

Maybe for others, but Prac Guide never goes back to correct them even after they've been pointed out. Practical Guide would be greatly improved by letting some fan do that and only that.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 30, 2018

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah it went through a weird patch around Christmas, it seems to be recovering now.

Basically everything between Lyonette turning into a decent person and today's update sucked, sans some brief stuff with Ryoka.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Objection: The Toren chapter was solid loving gold.

That is today's update for those of us who aren't subscribed on Patreon.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

For a while I've thought wildbows best work was his interludes

That is 100% the case with PracGuide, between the epilogue to book two, the Ranger chapter, and now a Malicia one

Your going to love the latest chapters when you get to them.

One of the reasons that Prac Guide is so good is that while it has a theme of overturning the old order in the name of efficiency, erraticerrata glories in the absolute batshit grandiose ambition of traditional Evil. He makes it awesome (in the original sense), instead of clearly dumb and dismissible.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm still hoping that the big bad ends up being Ashley making good on her threats about becoming the best supervillain after telling them that's the plan the whole time and getting brushed off.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Prac Guide always cracks me up hard with the undead names.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Ward, I'm not caught up yet but one thing that's been bugging me a little is that I feel like Wildbow is trying too hard to create "unique" powers. Like half of the powers that have been introduced so far have been pretty convoluted. In Worm, even the grab-bag capes generally had a set of powers that worked together in some coherent way. An example of one of the newly introduced characters with a power that is both unique and easy to understand is the guy who you can't look or aim at from Arc 1. But a lot of these other characters have powers that are just overly complex in my opinion. I wouldn't mind if just a couple characters had powers like this, but they're so frequent it feels noticeable in comparison with Worm.

Yeah I agree with that. Rain's, Tristan's, and Chris's have a ton of complexity up front.

It's a pretty standard issue I think. You see it in game design too. The first few designs have mechanics that are simple at first but having deepness underneath, and then later stuff oscillates between no simplicity and no depth. It's a fine line to walk, particularly as the easy (for the designer) design space gets filled.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It's only in this last arc + interludes that Ward has started to click for me. I was pretty bored before then. It's still not at the point where I'm recommending it to anyone.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

New Mother of Learning.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

sunken fleet posted:

A whole chapter on one conversation. It was a pretty important conversation though I guess. I will say that I've always felt like the ancient lich does not talk nearly enough like an ancient lich. It's a tone thing - he talks way too normal for a thousand year old monster, in my opinion. Tone aside I liked the chapter, it's good to be reminded that there are serious threats in the world even for our overpowered protagonists. And we finally get to see them shamelessly abusing the timeloop to rip someone off wholesale!

I can't help but wonder if that's going to backfire somehow.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

You're mischaracterizing my entire statement. I'm not saying you compete with Worm specifically, I'm saying you literally compete in the web serial market by having a patreon and a paypal link prominently displayed on your page. I'm also not saying you can only read one or the other; just like you can buy both Game of Thrones and Midnight Tides, you can also support both Worm/Ward and Not All Heroes. It would be absurd, however, to suggest that Game of Thrones and Midnight Tides don't compete. I'm sorry, but it is my opinion that it's kinda lovely for a competitor in a market to criticize another work in that market publicly.

Cool story dude.

I don't think it's lovely at all. I think it's nice to see criticism from people within the same domain, at least in something as casual as dead comedy forum something awful dot com. While critics and analysts don't need to do the thing they criticize, the additional perspective certainly doesn't hurt. I don't wonder if there is an ulterior motive at all, as I don't think Milky Moor can move the needle appreciably against Worm/Ward, though they might pick up a few readers who share their concerns about the work.

I rarely agree with Milky Moor, but they are more than welcome to contribute to the thread as far as I'm concerned.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 24, 2018

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I like Erin more than most of the team because she's the only character in Ward who isn't entirely self-centered in her motivations. She's caught in a lovely situation that she's trying to make the best of for the sake of her family. Everyone else, it's about what they want or need.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Prac Guide. Holy poo poo.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

As for all the things she aren't any more, I feel like Wildbow did a good job establishing the whats and whys during the first big fight myself.

The opening fight had her explicitly talking internally about being too brash and reckless and hurting people, and her focusing on being methodical to counteract that.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ward 5.9 Why are they getting into the middle of the fight? I thought they were supposed to act around the edges of it, maybe coming in late to clean up some depending on how the fight was going. Is it that they thought Ashley was in danger,
or was this the plan?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

ward 5.9

You misread what has happened. They started on the fringes and convincing people to leave, and the fight has shifted over to where the fringe of the settlement is.

And they are incapable of moving away? I know they decided to take responsibility for the house with the kids, but were the Hollow Point people really going to bother with it after the stone went up? Plus they attacked the Fallen, who presumably would try to push Hollow Point away from the house.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Argue posted:

I haven't seen the patreon chapters but I can't imagine that could be anyone other than Ryoka, since that's what she did in their encounter. Even the current free chapter has him inquiring about something that I'm pretty sure was her idea.

Please use spoilers when talking about the Patreon chapters, even if you haven't seen them and are just responding to someone who has.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

blastron posted:

Worth the Candle

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet. It's good? Can you write a relatively spoiler free blurb of what it's about?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'd go so far as to say that Prac Guide has some of the better battles/fights/action sequences in web serials.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Rozala of the Malanzas.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hey Milky Moor, I caught up on Not All Heroes last night. It's pretty good! I bounced off it at the end of chapter 1, but got sucked in when I gave it another chance. I see where more of your criticisms with Worm are coming from, though I'm still not sure I agree.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

When does it actually get good? Because I tried reading it at some point and it was still boring as gently caress after like 10 entries.

That's about where I stopped the first time around. I think it was sometime in the next chapter that I started liking it, and chapter 3 is where it really picks up.

Edit: Thinking about it more, I think it suffers for starting off with the perspective switching. I think it would be better served by following a single character as the setting is first being introduced. While the payoff of the pieces fitting together later is nice, the switching starts before I cared about anyone. I had to read a lot more (to the point where I stopped and might never have started again) before anything happened or I was interested in their fates and I became hooked by the story

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 25, 2018

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

It's also a complete pain in the rear end to write sometimes. It requires a lot more planning and forethought, which means it all becomes shaky when I hit rough patches in my outline. I'm not sure if it wouldn't have been better to begin the story earlier, as opposed to being so in media res. It does, however, burn a bit slowly. But that's what amount to a first draft for you.

I see why so many serials seem to go for first-person perspective because it's so much easier to write. But sticking behind Sabra's eyes might be too familiar or cliche, sticking behind Leopard might be too maddening, and Fisher too depressing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the blend that you have going now. I mostly found it hard to get started with, I think you might want a chapter or two from a single perspective to start as the hook before branching out to the trinity.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

This is just a general question, but do those of you who have read all the current Practical Guide to Evil get the impression that the main story beats have been planned out from the beginning? I'm asking mostly because I think that's one of the things that allowed Worm to do so well, despite its many flaws; wildbow obviously had the main ideas of "these are the main bad guys, they have these motives, etc" planned out from early on. I also think serials like this benefit strongly from always having a goal to work towards, since otherwise they just start meandering (I get the impression this may be happening with Wandering Inn, judging from people's posts).

Currently I'm at the point where Catherine just negotiated a draw with Juniper and it's been made pretty clear that the next story beat will probably be with the Lone Swordsman (whose perspective also confirmed my assumption that a lot of the Good side is racist towards greenskins). As an unrelated note, I have a strong hunch that Catherine might hook up with that red-head mage.

Yup. It's very clear that there was substantial planning ahead for Prac Guide.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Is there a web serial worth reading that updates on Thursdays regularly?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Speaking of Gobbos, the latest Wandering Inn is pretty great. The evil necromancer Goblin Lord just wants a home for goblins where they aren't monsters scrapping for survival, similar to Rags. It also brings up that we don't know what is motivating Az’kerash.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

SerSpook posted:

Well that was a pretty awesome and atmospheric chapter in Practical Guide. So it seems like this is northern Procer/Kingdom of the Dead area considering what we see, a dude in comments found a quote that Masego's Incubus father was first summoned by a witch-queen in northern Procer, in what is now the Lycaonese area. Seems likely the woman winning the duel is said witch-queen.

I wonder if the witch-queen was invading/raiding against what would become the Kingdom of the Dead, and the Dead King didn't do what he did in madness or something but out of a need to drive the Lycaonese out. Which hilariously is the region Cordelia Hasenbach hails from, her own ancestors might have very well led to the creation of the Dead King.

It's another bit of neat symmetry along with Pilgrim's continued backing of the war against Callow being so that Procer can face the Dead King without worrying about Praes instead causing Cat to go to the Dead King for help

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

with better scaling, more politics, and more typos

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I read The Daily Grind this week, and it's great. I'm confused on one part though, what happened to the giant orb that Lilly analyzed as Jerome?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

The way Prac Guide's metaphysics work this plan is guaranteed to succeed.

Like the world is going to tie itself in knots making sure this turns out right

Guards! Guards! posted:

Nobby put his head on one side. “It looks promising,” he said critically. “We might be nearly there. I reckon the chances of a man with soot on his face, his tongue sticking out, standing on one leg and singing The Hedgehog Song ever hitting a dragons voonerables would be . . . whatd you say, Carrot?”

“A million to one, I reckon,” said Carrot virtuously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Prac Guide's update was very good.

“I feel faint,” the orc added dutifully. “Like a dove. A dove that is sick.”

edit: Can you not spoiler tag quotes? That's lame.