Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

LLSix posted:

I just blasted through all 30 chapters of https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26294/he-who-fights-with-monsters

It is pretty great. Not the most sensible decision making going on, but it is so fun I don’t really care.

Been awhile but Threadbare is pretty fantastic. It is about a teddybear that goes on an adventure to rescue his girl/owner.

Story is mostly lighthearted with amusing pun enemies. You can find it on RoyalRoad. I think there’s even a published version.

Well, a biased source (the author), has pointed out that the MC in "He Who Fights With Monsters" has taken repeatedly blows to the head, so expecting sensible decisions is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Cicero posted:

I suppose that's possible, but Pirateaba just being kind of a weirdo who writes a metric shitton would also be far from the weirdest thing on the internet.

Their word count is pretty crazy, but aren't there Chinese web novel authors who are similar?

I haven't read the Wandering Inn, but how much of the chapters are just meaningless nonsense or outright repetition? The Chinese web novel authors that are on the daily release (with each chapter costing money) tend to write chapters like an English teacher would have you write an argument. Saying the same thing over and over and, in a lot of cases, feeling like a find and replace feature was used for "new" arcs.

When writing a serial is your primary income putting out a ton of words isn't an issue, but quality does tend to suffer for it. Also some people are just capable of writing endlessly.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

KamikazePotato posted:

This depends largely on the state of the author's Patreon and their general fanbase outreach. The fact of the matter is, if you want to make a living off this profession, Royal Road on its own means nothing. Think of the site as paying you in exposure. As amazing as it is to have thousands of people reading your story, that won't pay your bills or make sure you can eat dinner. I've seen extremely successful stories on Royal Road with Patreons that don't exceed $100. Maybe they don't make Patreon attractive for people (standard practice is to offer quite a few chapters in advance), or maybe their story just isn't the type to create dedicated fans. In this case, stunting Royal Road growth is no loss at all, because they weren't getting anything from it in the first place. Might as well throw the story on KU and make a few bucks.

If you DO have a successful Patreon, that changes things somewhat. At that point, the choice somewhat depends on your story's growth. If your story is booming on RR and elsewhere, it may be worth holding off on an Amazon release until your Patreon has peaked. This decision get muddied if your Patreon just keeps growing and growing, but that's a situation for the 1% of the 1% to enjoy. Patreons naturally decline unless you have a constant influx of new readers. Most stories simply don't grow after they hit a certain point, as the way people find stories is via Most Popular lists, which are dominated by the top stories, which then get more popular...essentially, the rich get richer, and everyone else fights for scraps.

For me, I accidentally timed the book release perfectly, as my Patreon was just starting to decline. I hid a natural saturation point where Outcast could no longer grow quickly enough to outpace Patreon bleed. The timing also let me get the book out while my dedicated fans were still here, which is primarily responsible for my success. They pushed me up the rankings. Shoutout to those glorious bastards who I sincerely love and appreciate.

...And even IF your Patreon is growing constantly, KU is still a great option. He Who Fights With Monsters is the most popular LitRPG and it double-dips on both KU and Patreon. Makes a shitload of money. Now, you have to watch out for readers potentially revolting if you start taking down chapters, but in my experience they don't do that if...well...you treat them like human beings and explain the situation. I was up front with my readers and gave them free PDFs of Book 1, and they had almost zero issues with my move.

All in all, KU is an amazing moneymaker for authors. Anyone aspiring to make a decent living as a writer needs to heavily, heavily consider it.

From my limited (non-author) experience, those that complain the most about chapters being taken down are complete rear end holes. They don't tend to be Patreon supportors, don't use KU and don't purchase the books and are extremely hostile to the author. If you support an author on patreon I doubt buying the book would really be much of an issue and even then if you just politely ask the author on patreon they may even send you an epub of the chapters.

I view RR as a site to try and build an audience and don't hold anything against anyone who moves to KU because they'd like to actually make money. I don't know how much it hurts for bringing in new readers if you don't have the early chapters. I notice that He Who Fights With Monsters and Defiance of the Fall both include a few chapters (13 & 7) before you have to go to KU or buy the volume, but This Young Master is not Cannon Fodder completely removed 1 to 25. Though that author just started KU stuff and I don't know KU's rules, so maybe someone can tell them that they can add the first few chapters back.

Honestly I prefer the KU model over the Qidian (webnovel) model which might be endemic to Chinese webnovels of pay per chapter and highly incentive authors to write like you pay per chapter because you do (e.g. 50k words to say nothing). Granted a similar accusation has been leveled at KU authors.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Megazver posted:

I've read in multiple sources that you're allowed to have ~10% of a book out there as a free preview. I can't be bothered to read all the documentation to find out if that's actually a thing

I decided to skim through the KDP terms and yeah I don’t see anything allowing authors to keep up any chapters.

“KDP TOS” posted:

1 Exclusivity. When you include a Digital Book in KDP Select, you give us the exclusive right to sell and distribute your Digital Book in digital format while your book is in KDP Select. During this period of exclusivity, you cannot sell or distribute, or give anyone else the right to sell or distribute, your Digital Book (or a book that is substantially similar), in digital format in any territory where you have rights.

I r not lawman, but that looks like if your chapters are part of a book in KU they probably shouldn’t be available elsewhere. Though I guess for an author the easiest thing to do would be to contact Amazon and just ask them.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Peachfart posted:

I have now started 5 or 6 serials that go from interesting plot -> generic magic school story. Please writers, stop this. It is so boring.

Fine, they’ll now go from uninteresting plot to generic magic school story.

Also please list what you read so we can know if there is going to be a generic magic school arc coming up.

On a different subject, is there a word for a person that completely misses the tone of a story? I don’t know how many times I’ve read comments in Beware of Chicken with people that are upset that it isn’t a murderhobo or harem story.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Today’s Beware of Chicken

I know I shouldn’t read the comments, but too many people seem certain that the villain survived. Like Jin punched him hundreds of miles away into a mountain while destroying five talismans that attempted to save the “young master”. Sure if this was any other bog standard cultivation story, odds are the dude would survive and be back, but this isn’t one of those stories. If this was one of those then someone from the Fa Ram would have died, but once again not in this story.

So when combined with the land Jin is effectively a Sky Realm cultivator. With this arc winding down I wonder where the story goes next. Are we going to see gramps show up? Will any of the other disciples assume a human form? Will Rizu and Meiling attempt to heal Loud Boy’s cultivation?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Missed updates is whatever, but at the very least Beware of Chicken's author does update Patreon with a general message. Some authors just flat out vanish. No message, no nothing, just stop updating. Like they don't need to get into details, just be "Hey I'm having issues and won't be able to write/post more chapters for an unknown amount of time." Though I guess social anxiety can play a big part in to that.

Also I like the person complaining about a certain author deleting reviews and then being all I read the rules. I'm fairly certain that Royal Road isn't going to see mentioning whatever amount someone makes on Patreon as a fair or valid criticism for a review on RR itself. The review has obviously been deleted and I can't go back in read it, but the person has the whole "why have I been banned?" energy when the response from mods is usually like "showing your dick on stream" or "racial slurs".

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SerSpook posted:

Misread the first line as "None of the skeletons were working" and I really hoped we'd have a skeleton strike to force necromancers to provide them with more mana or some poo poo.

Time for someone with talent to write a story about skeletons overthrowing the necromancers and forming unions for better pay and conditions.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Ar'kendrithyst 133 - I like Tenebrae. I hope he can become friends with Erick. I also think he might be correct about Erick's approach largely working because he's a Wizard (which means he can presumably directly convert his intent into magic even more than other savant mages). Maybe Jane will be able to progress more using the more standard methods.

I also suspect he has some sort of connections to the dragons, since it seems like the only reason he's going along with this is that Erick revealed he wouldn't be willing to kill dragons if they weren't monsters.

edit: lol the comments for this chapter, as usual web serial readers are some of the dumbest people alive. All these people who want Erick to just be completely correct about everything who are mad that the chapter is implying that his approach might not be the universally best way to do magic

edit2: I'm gonna be mad if Tenebrae dies like that one prognostication indicated

edit3: Yggdrasil POV lol

My advice, never read the comments. I don’t take said advice, but I should. Comment sections are routinely filled with people who have the worst reading comprehension. I don’t even think I should count the times I’ve seen comments assert something as fact that clearly did not happen. Or people somehow completely miss the tone of a story and think x side character is going to die or the protagonist should turn in to a mass murdering psycho.

I should go back and read Ark from the start, but drat is that a lot of words.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Kyoujin posted:

Got a link? Not seeing anything when I google Monroe web serial.

Going to guess they're referring to this one: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/35398/monroe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Has there been any noises about an Amazon or ebook release?

Reading back through the thread, people seemed to really like this one.

Last patreon post mentions book 1 being edited and put on Amazon (not KU), so should be ebooks eventually.