Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I agree, this most recent chapter was a ride, and I'm on the freaking edge of my seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

So anyone else getting the vibe that that was the last chapter of Twig? Like if they ended it here (maybe with some epilogues) I wouldn't be surprised at all

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

NiknudStunod posted:

I have been reading The iron teeth found over at http://www.ironteethserial.com. The story centers around a goblin slave rescued by bandits and the life he builds for himself after. The world seems to be very dark and chaotic and the characters reflect that

I dig it so far, thanks for the mention!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm not sure I want a Worm2 :ohdear:

Yeah I agree. I'm scared of what he'll do to "fix" his perceived mistakes. Also what he considers to be mistakes.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

NiknudStunod posted:

I have been reading The iron teeth found over at http://www.ironteethserial.com. The story centers around a goblin slave rescued by bandits and the life he builds for himself after. The world seems to be very dark and chaotic and the characters reflect that

It might be that I'm starved for reading material at work right now, but I read the entire backlog in the past 4ish days and it's real good and only gets better. Though I've skipped like every interlude but two.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Wildbow came up with a tabletop system for the worm setting and does beta games for it with irc people. I think worm might be his favorite setting to play around with because he's answered like a tomes worth of fan questions about various facets of the world.

He also did a forum cyoa about being a prt director which I never read.

Weaver dice is a fun concept, but he clearly is a writer not a game designer. That said, I've played it a few times and had a blast, so maybe I'm not giving him enough credit

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

I don't like broken triggers and i don't want any more of them to happen.

Oh god. I couldn't agree more. :cry:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

I'm not honestly sure I can continue, that poo poo hosed me up. Like, I've never been this uncomfortable reading fiction before. I just really want to know what Yamada is up to, she was one of my favourites from Worm. I hope Sveta made it through everything too. :ohdear:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Angry Walrus posted:

Yamada sucks

Yikes.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

I was curious, anyone other than me read the Zombie Knight? I came back to it after about a year and a half off and while I'm still mostly following what's happening, I definitely have forgot some important info.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

builds character posted:

Is it not just essentially a mannequin with the appendages and body drilled out and eye bolts sunk into the insides? Seems pretty simple to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I reckon the joints are a lot more complicated than that because they need grips and latches to turn them from joint to projectile weapon, and the hands work a lot better than that. I'm glad to pretend Teacher doesn't exist though.

To clarify though, I don't think this is Teacher, just a good prosthetic body

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Megazver posted:

I kinda hated this after the first, uh, ten chapters. It might get better afterwards, I guess?

Its always going to be similar in delivery and the way he sets up plots and whatnot, though the scale of events ramps up pretty far as I recall. To be fair though I have next to no memory of the start of the series because I came back to it after over a year when he went on hiatus and didn't want to start all over

I really enjoy Hector's character after a while though. It develops well

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 26, 2018

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Just started on the third arc of Practical Guide and I love it all except for that annoying habit it has of stringing several barely connected interludes together. Ah well, doesn't seem like that's going away any time soon.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

That's about where I'm at too. The narrative feels like it wanders a bit, and I personally wish it was more of a low fantasy setting since the names/roles stuff is the least interesting part of the story for me, but I still really enjoy the main plot. However, I've gotten to the point where I scan the first few paragraphs of each interlude for the names of any characters I care about, and if they're not around I just skip the whole thing.

To contradict myself though after I just read two such interludes, every chapter I've ever gotten from the perspective of Robber and/or Hakram has been a goddamn masterpiece. Hakram is probably my favourite character in any web serial I've read in a long time.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Vateke posted:

Am I in the minority in liking it when stories continually raise the stakes and do power escalations, or do other people like me just not speak up?

I don't mind it but in Practical Guide I did not like Mantle replacing her Name just because it's not as fun a power to see figured out over time as Aspects and transitional Names and the like.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Cicero posted:

I thought the general consensus was that Cat has transitioned to a new Name, which will probably be revealed at a pivotal moment.

That's not how I read it, but I hope it is. Considering she can still do Fall but it's not capitalized and is just part of her Mantle and as easy as pie

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Silynt posted:

Surely if she does have a new Name, it's Black Queen, right? I feel like, in universe, if you have a Name you can't just walk around with everyone calling you by some other title. In my mind the only way that isn't her Name is if she doesn't have one anymore.

Edit: although I did just think of Carrion Lord as a counter-example, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

Yeah all the Calamities have titles like that. Lady of the Lake, that thing about red skies Warlock has

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

I was under the impression that she was GOING to become 'Black Queen' but Black's sabotage broke the name from being a true one, but it was close enough that people think it's what she has. I feel like she's still in some sort of weird transition and is mostly running on Fae juice now.

That's my impression too. Since she was forced to offer up her body and soul to Arcadia she couldn't transition in to the Name they expected

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Hey, if anyone is getting into or enjoying Practical Guide, I'm running a forums game of it, come down if you're interested!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

navyjack posted:

The supporting cast of PracGuide is honestly amazing. Interludes are often annoying digressions, but in PracGuide we get Robber, Hierarch and Tyrant, Zeze and Archer. The Proceran ones are a little dull, but I can live with it.

I do wish that they went for a more broken up approach rather than the interludes all being one after the other, though.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Cicero posted:

Also, holy poo poo at the recent Worth the Candle update (113-118): RIP Fenn :(. I really liked the therapy chapter, too.

Well gently caress

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

blastron posted:

Is there a chapter for today besides Peregrine I? The last Cat-based chapter I read came out on 11/30.

Yeah, it's As Above

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

I seem to have chosen an interesting time to binge read all of Mother of Learning. What's the update schedule on this like, once a month or so?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

Once every three weeks. Pretty fortunate that you got started only now; this thing has been going on forever and three weeks is way too long between chapters for me.

Just feels kinda strange since it feels like it's drawing to a close, but the finale is the only thing it's missing.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

They don't want everyone to be a hivemind,

Except Contrition, they pretty much do

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Vacant Throne is fairly new but I think fits the bill. I'm enjoying it! She's not really inhuman if that's what you're after though, probably, we think.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 27, 2019

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Irulon is definitely insufferable, but I like that she's as disliked in fiction as she is out of it. She's viewed with as much sympathy (actually probably less considering she's human) than the drakes. Most people view her as a volatile dangerous person they're forced to pay respect to and attempt to avoid her

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Occasionally I consider reading Wandering Inn but this thread always makes me hold back and find something else. Every few weeks something seems to be very bad in TWI, and it's not too often the same thing over and over.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

you don't accidentally slip into your native language without realizing it, as if you were a racist cartoon character from the 80s.

When my grandmother gets excited she swaps back to French without noticing and just assumes everyone involved can still understand her. I don't think it would happen in this context, because Jen clearly was very proficient in English and then later very proficient in Etorian, but I can say with certainty that stuff can happen with people who much prefer their native language to their secondary language, even if they're fluent enough to hold any type of conversation in both.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 22, 2019

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

Well that'll teach me to be very me-centric; sorry.

In my defense we're all bilingual here and it doesn't line up with the experiences of anyone I know since I've also talked to them about it

Oh yeah, french Canada is notoriously bad with mixing language, it might just be a local tic

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Cicero posted:

ZeZe yes!

Do we know all of Masego's Aspects? I just really want to see him put yet another god-adjacent being in the corner for a time out

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Hedningen posted:

As someone who suffered from some pretty lovely mental health times, including a period of Cotard syndrome, I both enjoy how the narrative of Twig integrates mental breakdown and hallucination and cannot bring myself to reread it.

Yeah Twig was a hell of a trip in the latter parts where our narrator is so thoroughly disconnected from reality. I wanna go back and read it again sometime

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Man, I want the plot of Practical Guide to continue as much as the next person, but I freaking love Hakram

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

The throwback to epilogue 4 today in Practical Guide I found way funnier than I should've. Like father like daughter.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Just caught up for the first time to the non-patreon Wandering Inn, it took me like two weeks, but I think the most enjoyable way for me to read things was to just read a chapter until I decided if I really wanted to read it. I skipped a lot of Rags and Flos chapters (though the most recent Empress of Beasts chapters were good enough I read them through)

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Rags is the best character in the series and you will suffer for your crimes.

I prefer Numbtongue but yes.

Lone Goat posted:

yeah but that goblin death march was a huge downer

Absolutely this is the reason.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

I just read the Talia chapter in TWI and it was delightful for my opinion on the chapter to suddenly swap from "why am I reading Pirateaba's lovely fanfic" to "oh you magnificent bastard" in like 10 seconds flat.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Katalepsis status: still good, still goonmade

This. This is a good post, I just read everything to date of Katalepsis in one sitting because of this recommendation. It is a really good read

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Hungry posted:

I am going to take this as a sign that I'm doing this right.

This next chapter is going to be very good, and likely crush my soul like a depressurized tin can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Man, gently caress the Gods Above in Practical Guide. They can just be needlessly petty sometimes. At least with Below you know where you stand