Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Given some writer comments in the later chapters, planned from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

Thankfully, most of the time it stays in the background. Unfortunately, about half of the most book* was about it.
Yep, and IIRC that's where somewhere in the comments section near the end he stated he'd had some of the scenes in mind from the start.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

I just read 3.08H of The Wandering Inn and oh my god, what a fantastic end to that small arc. After all the despair and awful poo poo happening to the main characters since late book 2, things going stupendously well for once is really great.
Good to know, will see on Saturday then

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The chapter heading talks about "Battle of Four Armies and One" - so my question is what's the fourth army? I guess there already could be all there depending on you do the partitioning.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 30, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
RE: Wandering Inn
Not sure how far you are in, but I thought Ryoka was fairly clearly written to be unhealthily broken, and her behavior has perfectly consequential negative effects late-ish in Book 1. And yes, she does get better as a consequence, though its still an issue that seems like it will cause problems in the future.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: By the way, is Ryoka supposed to be half-Japanese or is it just a coincidence that her name could be a Japanese one?
This becomes a very minor footnote-y plot point too.

Also looking at the table of contents holy hell does the numbering make zero sense.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 6, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Online converter FYI, bit finicky with some sites.
http://www.bloxp.com/

Also standard RSS for updates on uncompleted ones.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Wandering Inn - RIP Toren? Or not. Could see it go either way.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Latest Practical Guide to Evil is pretty cool. I was wondering what the setup was going to be.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
In addition to the mythological vibe from Wandering In, serious Dark Souls vibes as well.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

Dread Emperor Irritant I is second only to Traitorous as best Dread Emperor.
Someone needs to go and organize those by emperor.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Cool. Apparently 3 more chapters on top of that to come.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Practical Guide
No longer Squire I'm going to say

Also now strongly suspecting Black in the takedown of the old guard generals. Clean slate for Cat.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 16, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Silynt posted:

Practical Guide: authorial bullshit
The entire story and setting is pretty much "authorial bullshit". Plans are never articulated, power are arbitrary in impact on fight to fight, etc.

I'm just here for the ride.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 21, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Ah yes Black doing Black things. Good fun.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Practical Guide as usual keeps on the escalation schedule.

Also caught up on Gods are Bastards and my reaction to the end of the current update is :confused:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Mygna posted:

I'm pretty sure this exact moment was the main reason Bard conspired to get Champion killed like she did. That Black so recently witnessed such a powerful villain be defeated by a total nobody of a hero, solely on the strength of narrative weight, certainly didn't do Malicia's argument any favours here.
And he probably isn't even wrong. This isn't a rational enough world that MAD would work.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah it recently started being updated on Fridays (starting like a month ago?)

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Practical Guide's back

Looks like there's been a party train in the downtime. Wonder if and when Catherine will have aspects again - seems like its straight up juice right now

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 9, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Cliffhangers for days.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So it was linked a few months back that the ending of Ra was being rewritten and drafts were starting to be put up.
https://qntm.org/files/ra/end2/happen.html

Just checked randomly today and it looks like he's finished the drafts - 5 chapters in total.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm really enjoying Practical Guide to Evil so far. The setting is really interesting.

Because I'm bad at visualizing characters, I tried googling a couple characters to see if anyone had done character art (Catherine and Black Knight, particularly since I don't think the latter had any description yet other than "green eyes and between 5 and 6 feet tall") and was kind of sadly amused at a couple Catherine illustrations with white skin and straight/wavy brown hair, despite it explicitly describing her as having dark skin and (I think black) curly hair. I interpret the former as having a sort of dark-skinned arabic or hispanic kinda skin tone.

This picture is particularly lol, given the story also describes her as having a strong jaw and angular face - it's almost the complete opposite of the way the story describes her appearance: https://sandara.deviantart.com/art/Face-02-610078715
???
https://sandara.deviantart.com/art/Catherine-Foundling-608331843

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Practical Guide - who knew that doing classically evil things comes back to bite you in the rear end? At least they came up with some basic mitigation. Disappointing that this will probably result in a sidetrack.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

Wait, by retroactive father do you mean black? Because I thought she less trapped him into a redemption narrative, and more just sidestepped out of the narrative he intended for her.
How she got her title Duchess of Moonlight Nights.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Practical Guide:
If you're going to leave in a 4 lane backdoor highway for a possession to take over, that's a well made contingency for it

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Eh. How is he supposed to have hooks into the highest levels of the good religious institutions?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Wandering Inn certainly has some interesting fauna.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Bard's back too.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Flos is annoying because he's written as super charismatic ... and he's not.

Probably really hard to do that correctly.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Should I be reading these tGaB interludes? The one where Tellwyrn turns out to be a time lord was bad enough I just gave up on them, but there's been like a billion of them since Trissiny had her last bollocking.
Curse the Darkness was good, probably one of his better outputs of late. Others were OKish.

Continues the trend of the stuff further away from the technobabble being better.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

giving a good speech is very important, narratively
I don't remember this being true a single time in Guide

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Black had days to plan after the plague started, and is noted to be out of power when he should have recovered. So what exactly did he do as his last stand.

I'm thinking Pilgram will find his plague is not as contained as he thinks it is.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

The Wandering Inn is getting a video game

https://www.partlyatomic.com/games/twig/

it seems like its gonna be a shop management/recettear style thing. looks loving terrible right now but the concept is pretty neat!

also, twig, lol
So some random wanna be game dev with 2 uncompleted prototypes and a game jam creation. K.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
What's wrong with RSS in particular?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Argue posted:

Nothing, but Fictionpress doesn't have it as far as I can see. I was hoping for something like Sonarr where someone's already done the legwork of making a single app compatible with multiple sites (except instead of loading torrents it just sends me links).
Annoyingly it looks like they used to
https://blog.fictionpress.com/2012/07/09/710-update/
https://blog.fictionpress.com/2013/11/05/atomrss-feeds/

The only thing I was able to dig up was one for the author page, which is useless
https://www.fictionpress.com/atom/u/804592/

But yeah, "modern" sites are moving away from RSS, presumably because they want lockin/account signups or whatever?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 4, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Hierophant telling a capital G-od (not even a choir) to shut up, and then Warlock kicking it in the mouth certainly is something. Full on divine intervention certainly is messy. There's definitely a power up in the works for witnessing that

lurksion fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 5, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Practical Guide's continuing insistence on hiding the plan from the reader is starting to get annoying four books in.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

tithin posted:

even if we didn't know what it was.
And as I said, it's getting old 4 books in.

And the "periphery stuff" had a chapter was dedicated to discussion of it (though yet again, with zero details).

Though this particular case I think it's yet another case of Regalia II's “Quite literally not what I was aiming for, but I can work with this.”

lurksion fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 26, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I have no idea who half the people in TGAB are anymore

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Reader mode is probably a better link
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/forge-of-destiny-xianxia-quest.35583/reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Ah yes clusterfucks are amusing. Some pruning of the character list has been due.